• 10,057,009 Posts
• 402,611 Topics
• 23,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3rd loss in BWA this year  (Read 2382 times)

Mr. Porkleone

3rd loss in BWA this year
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:20:21 pm »

And the excuses keep coming. We keep going to a half full BWA and itís getting tougher. Iím ready for change, fundamentals are missing from this team. No NCAA this year, donít see it happening. MA seat will be HOT at end of year.

Breems

Re: 3rd loss in BWA this year
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:08 pm »

Literally no one is making excuses.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

OinkinOregon

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:25:45 pm »

And the excuses keep coming. We keep going to a half full BWA and itís getting tougher. Iím ready for change, fundamentals are missing from this team. No NCAA this year, donít see it happening. MA seat will be HOT at end of year.
Mike is not going anywhere.

Cmheinley

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:32 pm »

Haha yeah. I'm a glass half full guy, but the home losses are frustrating as hell. That's the one thing we can usually hang our hats on. What seemed to be a promising season is fleeting.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:29:26 pm »

Iím A CMA apologist, mostly because the hate people have for him because heís a clean coach in a world of ALOT of dirty coaches, but I do believe the seat is hot, and will get hotter if he doesnít put his brain to use and actually sit and find the mistakes In coaching philosophy, like stop double teaming and helping on every possession which allows a wide open shot, learn to run a few plays when the motion offense isnít working, play zone time to time, heís just going to have to do those things or else itís not going to end well.

isavedjazz

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 10:30:05 pm »

This season has been unacceptable so far. Yet Mike has consistently gotten his teams better throughout the season. For this reason I will give him the rest of the year before deciding how I feel about the future

sickboy

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 10:31:17 pm »

Thx for clearing that up Hunter Yuracek wannabe.

It doesnít take a rocket scientist or an AD to realize that Mike Anderson isnít going anywhere.

RedRock

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:31:44 pm »

Haha yeah. I'm a glass half full guy, but the home losses are frustrating as hell. That's the one thing we can usually hang our hats on. What seemed to be a promising season is fleeting.

Home / road, who cares? It's close, real close. Effort or moral victories matters most. 

mjsphd

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 10:31:46 pm »

Thx for clearing that up Hunter Yuracek wannabe.

I agree that the "Mike is here for life" may be less set in stone with a new AD in place.

Hogmatic

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 10:38:47 pm »

Iím A CMA apologist, mostly because the hate people have for him because heís a clean coach in a world of ALOT of dirty coaches, but I do believe the seat is hot, and will get hotter if he doesnít put his brain to use and actually sit and find the mistakes In coaching philosophy, like stop double teaming and helping on every possession which allows a wide open shot, learn to run a few plays when the motion offense isnít working, play zone time to time, heís just going to have to do those things or else itís not going to end well.

I applaud your unemotional response and logic.  The empty seats are going to get Mike in trouble before the record will.

Hogmatic

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 10:41:38 pm »

I am so tired of hearing the arrogance of that response.  Empty seats are going to prove you wrong.

LumberBacks

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 10:46:52 pm »

Not convinced that he has the ability to adjust or revamp.  I suscribe to the opinion that he learned the Nolan system after being his asst for like 20 yrs.  And that's kinda all he knows.  Nolan was his only mentor.  And that Nolan system is now outdated in many regards.  Yet Mike still runs all of that press trap switch stuff that exposes his teams liabilities.  Mike's teams have never run a 1/2 court set very well.  His tool chest just has a couple of tools in it.  I just don't think he knows how to counterpunch or out game plan his opposition.  When 3s are falling his teams look OK.  I don't know how anyone can think that he had answers tonite when the helter skelter ball wasn't working.  I like Mike's character.  He's everything that Petrino wasn't in that regard.  But I think we've seen his ceiling and that's a trip to the NCAAT about 50% of his seasons but prob not a Sweet 16.

Hogmatic

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 10:50:42 pm »

Not convinced that he has the ability to adjust or revamp.  I suscribe to the opinion that he learned the Nolan system after being his asst for like 20 yrs.  And that's kinda all he knows.  Nolan was his only mentor.  And that Nolan system is now outdated in many regards.  Yet Mike still runs all of that press trap switch stuff that exposes his teams liabilities.  Mike's teams have never run a 1/2 court set very well.  His tool chest just has a couple of tools in it.  I just don't think he knows how to counterpunch or out game plan his opposition.  When 3s are falling his teams look OK.  I don't know how anyone can think that he had answers tonite when the helter skelter ball wasn't working.  I like Mike's character.  He's everything that Petrino wasn't in that regard.  But I think we've seen his ceiling and that's a trip to the NCAAT about 50% of his seasons but prob not a Sweet 16.

Our program is hostage to a Legacy that has surrounded himself with other people that only know this style.   How many of Nolan's or Mike's coaches have gone elsewhere and had success?

LumberBacks

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 10:59:26 pm »

Our program is hostage to a Legacy that has surrounded himself with other people that only know this style.   How many of Nolan's or Mike's coaches have gone elsewhere and had success?
Spot. On.

Mr. Porkleone

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 12:02:01 am »

I am so tired of hearing the arrogance of that response.  Empty seats are going to prove you wrong.

Agreed.

LumberBacks

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 12:13:48 am »

Notes won 11 games in 2001.
For a guy approaching 20 years as a D1 HC, Mike Anderson's coaching tree has yet to spring branches.  That seems to indicate that his assts aren't particularly desireable for HC positions at even small schools, or that they simply have no desire to be "the guy" elsewhere.  Maybe the case for Watkins who is nearing retirement, but not for the younger ones. 

MakingPlays

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 12:41:06 am »

For a guy approaching 20 years as a D1 HC, Mike Anderson's coaching tree has yet to spring branches.  That seems to indicate that his assts aren't particularly desireable for HC positions at even small schools, or that they simply have no desire to be "the guy" elsewhere.  Maybe the case for Watkins who is nearing retirement, but not for the younger ones.

I mean how many coaches can legit claim they got a coaching tree?  It's probably only like 3-4 active coaches right now that have former assistants that have D1 head coaching jobs.  It's only 351 D1 jobs.  Watkins has been a high major head coach before, I'm sure if he wanted to be a head coach again a smaller D1 or D2 school wouldn't be too hard for him to get an interview, my guess is with his age, he's content finishing out his career as an associate head coach.

With TJ and Scotty they both are still pretty young, Scotty just got started as an assistant he's got to put time in, and TJ has been linked to some D1 jobs the past few off-seasons my guess is he'll eventually land a HC job at a smaller school sooner than later.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 02:09:46 am »

Whether we want MA here or not we are stuck with him.  The tradition is dead and no one, who can win, wants to come here.

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 05:45:59 am »

Whether we want MA here or not we are stuck with him.  The tradition is dead and no one, who can win, wants to come here.
Not true. Was Kermit a big name? Ole miss looks a thousand times better with him. Good coaches are out there and will want to come

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 06:22:04 am »

And that's the problem.

1 top 25 team in 8 years
3 ncaa tourney teams in 8 years

And people defend him until they are blue in the face. But the other half of the fan base has tuned out. We dont even get mad anymore. The University has shown its commitment to Mike and Mediocrity. No reason to get mad anymore. It is what it is. I watched Mission Impossible Fallout last night instead of the game, because I already knew how it would go. There was a time, most of my life where I wouldn't miss a game.

Here's how bad it is with football and basketball....7 businesses on Dickson st. Have closed in the last year because they cant make rent because of the lack of foot traffic. Think about that.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:54:15 am by bigpigpimpin »

Hog N Bama

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 06:27:28 am »

This season has been unacceptable so far. Yet Mike has consistently gotten his teams better throughout the season. For this reason I will give him the rest of the year before deciding how I feel about the future
YAWN ... and another so so season with next year being THE year. Riiiiiiggght :puke:

oldbooniehog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Testing...testing
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 06:39:20 am »

BannerMountainMan,

I am NOT taking a shot at you.

You say that Mike needs to figure out the problems in his coaching philosophy.

And then you specify some problems like his insistence on doubleteaming that leaves shooters wide open.

Here is why many people get riled up about Mike.

He's been a head coach somewhere for about 16 years. And there is exactly zero evidence he realizes his philosophy has any problems at all during those 16 years.

He does not seem capable of change. Heck he doesn't seem capable of changing assisstant coaches very often.

Hoping Mike can change is like wondering if maybe this morning the sun will come up in the west instead of the east.

It is simply not going to happen.

And we have going-on 8 years of evidence at Arkansas, and 16 total years overall that show nothing is going to change.

oldbooniehog

• Testing...testing
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 06:47:12 am »

LumberBacks,

Do you remember one of Nolan's favorite quotes?

Something like "we don't prepare for other teams, they have to prepare for us."

That's great when your system is uncommon and you have stud players.

But every "system" that's disruptive at first gets adapted to, and other teams find countermeasures and ways to stop it.

Just look at college football the last 40 years at all the offenses that were popular, and then fell out of favor.

But back to your point, LumberBacks
 Mike is so steeped in Nolan, and ONLY Nolan, I would bet that not preparing for any other team is one of his basic strategies.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 07:00:57 am »

This

I keep wondering where Watkins, Thurman and Cleveland would get coaching jobs/
I don't see much coaching going on.

He could have kept Barnes but kept Zimmerman instead.
That was my first head scratcher

ICEman

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 07:01:34 am »

Lighting a fire under this team should last longer than just the next game.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 07:08:17 am »

FLA          ARK

FT Made-Attempted   15-19       15-26
Free Throw %            78.9         57.7

That in bold?  That is your fundamental reason for the LOSS at home tonight.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 07:09:40 am »

And that's the problem.

1 top 25 team in 8 years
3 ncaa tourney teams in 8 years

And people defend him until they are blue in the face. But the other half of the fan base has tuned out. We dont even get mad anymore. The University has shown its commitment to Mike and Mediocrity. No reason to get mad anymore. It is what it is. I watched Mission Impossible flFallout last night instead of the game, because I already knew how it would go. There was a time, most of my life where I wouldn't miss a game.

Here's how bad it is with football and basketball....7 businesses on Dickson st. Have closed in the last year because they cant make rent because of the lack of foot traffic. Think about that.

Agreed. I went to bed at the half last night. Thought getting a good night's sleep was more important than watching a pitiful display of mediocrity. As more and more people become apathetic to the program, BWA will become a ghost town

RacinRazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 07:30:55 am »

I had high hopes at the beginning of the season, I really had faith we would make the NCAA tourney. But I now firmly believe we are looking at an NIT bid at BEST! The home losses are the one thing that will keep us out of contention. I would love to see us have a fundamentally sound team. I love all the young guys, but I think they need a different coaching "style" to be successful. Its not only that we are losing games we shouldn't, its the way we are losing them that's alarming to me! As an avid fan, the home losses are unacceptable!!!

USChog

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 07:54:59 am »

After seeing how we have flatlined this season, I get the feeling next year is do or die for Mike. It will be far into his tenure and he will have his best guys in at that point. It is reasonable to assume that after 9 seasons it can be time to part ways.

The best thing about giving him that long shows that the department is willing to stick with a coach through some rough times. Hopefully that will be a selling point to other coaches.

Personally I want MA to achieve a high level of success here. I am a strong proponent for him. I hope he turns it around this year and we really get hot next year, but my hope is dwindling. I'll keep watching, and keep going to games, but it is getting stagnant.

LumberBacks

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 08:04:02 am »

LumberBacks,

But every "system" that's disruptive at first gets adapted to, and other teams find countermeasures and ways to stop it.

Just look at college football the last 40 years at all the offenses that were popular, and then fell out of favor.

Mike is so steeped in Nolan, and ONLY Nolan, I would bet that not preparing for any other team is one of his basic strategies.
Sure looks that way.

Nickle-Pig

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 08:04:25 am »

This is a young team that has collectively lost 4 games by 13 points. Every game we should have won and we didn't because these guys are GREEN. It shows up as pointed out when teams come in here motivated to win in the acclaimed  Bud Walton Area. They will learn and this team will be special whether we have the patience of not. I want it now too but things don't come with the snap of our fingers. We need to be good little fans and hang in there. I confess I close my eyes sometimes.

Hogmatic

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:09 am »

LumberBacks,

BINGO and they still say that

Hogmatic

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 08:08:20 am »

CMA apologist positioning is all that is....and VERY WRONG.   The program is light years better than it was when Heath left and much better than after Pelfrey.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 08:09:41 am »

CMA apologist positioning is all that is....and VERY WRONG.   The program is light years better than it was when Heath left and much better than after Pelfrey.

that sure is a low bar to get over.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 08:11:05 am »

3 losses at home to teams that will have to win their conference championship to make it into the tourney.

BassinHawg

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 08:35:45 am »

FLA          ARK

FT Made-Attempted   15-19       15-26
Free Throw %            78.9         57.7

That in bold?  That is your fundamental reason for the LOSS at home tonight.

So when Nolan coached he had the University Physical Plant weld up some rims that were smaller than regulation rims for his teams to practice free throws on and he credited this to better free throw shooting.

Does Mike do anything like this? If not, why?

Wonder where we would be without the New Super Duper Basketball Practice facility (waste of money).

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 08:42:19 am »

I didn't expect much with this young team.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 08:47:29 am »

I didn't expect much with this young team.

Isn't that sad? We only get to the 1st round with two Senior All-SEC guards. And now we are just supposed to sit back and accept a bad season because it is a young team. Pitiful we are dealing with this in Year 8 of a coach. We can do better.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:37 am »

So when Nolan coached he had the University Physical Plant weld up some rims that were smaller than regulation rims for his teams to practice free throws on and he credited this to better free throw shooting.

Does Mike do anything like this? If not, why?

Wonder where we would be without the New Super Duper Basketball Practice facility (waste of money).

I believe there are a lot of things that Nolan used to do in practice that Anderson does not do.

Ask anyone this question.

If Anderson were fired today and Nolan took over as interim for the rest of the season, would this team progress or regress?

I'd be willing to bet the poll would overwhelmingly show fans would feel he would make this squad progress far above what Anderson could.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:57 am »

For the love of God could they please make some free-throws?

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 09:40:47 am »

26-48 (.542) in the last two games. Right at 64% as a team on the year. Itís a miracle weíre 10-4.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 09:42:36 am »

Geez it makes me feel like puking every time we go to the the line

Letsroll1200

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 09:51:13 am »

You wont win many games when your top 4 guards outside of Mason Jones have stats like this.

3- 22 from the field
2-16 from the three
0-3 from the line
4 assists and 3 turnovers

Joe, Simpson, Harris and Sills. 8 points

Still shocking that this team had a chance to win the game. Beat LSWHO

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 09:54:43 am »

Concerned. Officially concerned. Iíve never seen us play that bad at home. Airballs, travels, no flow on offense, stepping out of bounds... it was awful. Played like little boys that have never played together. I guess we made some hustle plays but geez, team looked pathetic. Hoping this is just a bad night bc that type of play will result in major changes if it is not corrected. Florida played awful. How can we say we play the fastest 40 when we have 32 points midway through the second half? Team better wake up fast. And force the ball to Gafford if you have to. Unreal

ShadowHawg

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:30 am »

You wont win many games when your top 4 guards outside of Mason Jones have stats like this.

3- 22 from the field
2-16 from the three
0-3 from the line
4 assists and 3 turnovers

Joe, Simpson, Harris and Sills. 8 points

Still shocking that this team had a chance to win the game. Beat LSWHO

Agreed. Those guys settled for jumpers when they could have got in the lane at will off the bounce last night. It was painful to watch knowing that these guys are way better than that.

OkieBack

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 10:04:37 am »

This is a young team that has collectively lost 4 games by 13 points. Every game we should have won and we didn't because these guys are GREEN. It shows up as pointed out when teams come in here motivated to win in the acclaimed  Bud Walton Area. They will learn and this team will be special whether we have the patience of not. I want it now too but things don't come with the snap of our fingers. We need to be good little fans and hang in there. I confess I close my eyes sometimes.

I don't know if its these players are green or if Mike lacks coaches to pick up where he is missing or what.  Does the team have a coach on staff that appears to be a fundamentalist or someone who drives their butts in practice?  When players were sluggish, Nolan used to get out there and run the court with the players in practice barking at them all the way.  I'm not sure we have that right now.

I'm hopeful for this group of Hog talent, but honestly I'm not seeing the defense.  Everything stems from intense defense.  It's like one sports writer once said years ago its like "10 minutes of Hell and 30 minutes of What the Hell." 

I think we are better than an 8-5 Florida team, especially at home, but man...we sure didn't show it.  Outside of Jones probably one of the worst offensive nights I have ever seen from any Arkansas basketball team.  No bench whatsoever.  I hope they could have done something this season if this is Gafford's last year but I think after last night's performance this team will be very lucky to make the NIT.  I know Mike has a plan and his teams always get better as the season progresses, but it sucks losing at home to a team you should beat outright.  Congrats to Florida.  You guys caught us on a very, very bad night.

orvillesghost

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:26 am »

I haven't watched a game all year and doubt that I do at all this year.

Only watched one football game  too.

I hope we win but I really don't care much anymore, the years of being nothing in both football and basketball have taken their toll.

Thank goodness for baseball.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 10:14:08 am »

26-48 (.542) in the last two games. Right at 64% as a team on the year. Itís a miracle weíre 10-4.

What few times I saw Mike Anderson he just didn't seem concerned which is concerning.  Nolan would have walked off the court if we were playing like that. 

The Hogfather

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 10:21:21 am »

I've watched 8 years of it. Welcome to Anderson street ball

You have not seen 8 years of what we saw last night.  That was literally the worst game I've seen us play ever, considering where it was, how bad the opponent was, and taking into account things like shooting %s and FT %s and turnovers.

Oliver

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 10:23:57 am »

What few times I saw Mike Anderson he just didn't seem concerned which is concerning.  Nolan would have walked off the court if we were playing like that. 

He's either not concerned because he knows his job security is so good that he doesn't have to worry about performances like that affecting it or he's not concerned because he doesn't care about how his team performs.  Either way is problematic. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas