• 10,058,684 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Does Your "Projected Draft Lottery Pick" . . .  (Read 1363 times)

TeufelHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Never Forget, Never Yield!
How Does Your "Projected Draft Lottery Pick" . . .
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:41 pm »

. . . ONLY get/take 4 shots in a game where he played 27 minutes?  AND HE MADE 3/4!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:38:10 pm by TeufelHog »

checkraiser88

Re: How Does Your "Projected Draft Lottery Pick" . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:19:59 pm »

I don't understand how we can't make him the focal point. It might have to do with his frequent turnovers when double teamed but surely they work on this a little bit?? Even the national talking hands have made fun of us not giving him the ball on twitter in a past game.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

lynbug

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:29:55 pm »

The team needs to be told (yeah...right) to get him more touches if he's in the paint.  And he needs to be told to feel free to dish it back out instead of throwing up whatever.

isavedjazz

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:32:15 pm »

I donít under what changed. Early in the season the guys recognized that Dan is the key. They allowed him to carry them against Indiana. Idk why they donít give him the ball now

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:35:34 pm »

I donít under what changed. Early in the season the guys recognized that Dan is the key. They allowed him to carry them against Indiana. Idk why they donít give him the ball now
It appears harem skarem...each man for himself.

MakingPlays

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 10:42:58 pm »

I may be in the minority here, but Dan is not that good when he has to create for himself in the post and make a back to the basket move.  He has like 0 post moves and usually just rushes a shot at the rim.  One of those shots he made late game tonight was really ugly and bounced high off the rim and went in, it was really lucky.

The times that he's looked good (earlier in the season) is when he got a lot of lops, or he was setup with an easy dunk under the basket, teams are recognizing that now and watching those back side lops and the other teams bigs are getting back on defense and not allowing him to run out in front of them, that's another thing he use to do to get baskets.

If you guys don't believe me go watch Daniel's highlights from any game they are mostly dunks and athleticism plays/puts backs and things of that nature you're not going to see a whole lot of him catching it in the post, backing his man down, and making a great move, that's not his game, you may see it every now and then, but it's not a reliable way for us to get baskets, unless he's going up against mid-major centers that are about 6'5 - 6'7.

isavedjazz

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 10:48:05 pm »

I may be in the minority here, but Dan is not that good when he has to create for himself in the post and make a back to the basket move.  He has like 0 post moves and usually just rushes a shot at the rim.  One of those shots he made late game tonight was really ugly and bounced high off the rim and went in, it was really lucky.

The times that he's looked good (earlier in the season) is when he got a lot of lops, or he was setup with an easy dunk under the basket, teams are recognizing that now and watching those back side lops and the other teams bigs are getting back on defense and not allowing him to run out in front of them, that's another thing he use to do to get baskets.

If you guys don't believe me go watch Daniel's highlights from any game they are mostly dunks and athleticism plays/puts backs and things of that nature you're not going to see a whole lot of him catching it in the post, backing his man down, and making a great move, that's not his game, you may see it every now and then, but it's not a reliable way for us to get baskets, unless he's going up against mid-major centers that are about 6'5 - 6'7.

Tell that to Indiana

k.c.hawg

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:59:44 pm »

Tell that to Indiana

I love Dan, I love the Hogs. But it seems that Indiana game was one of the few games where he has worked that hard to make himself available in scoring position. Maybe itís the way Indiana defended him. itís not going to have a huge impact on his draft position but it could have a major impact on our season. I put the blame at 30/30/40. Players have to lay off the 3 early, Dan gas to work hard to get the ball......and the fricking coaching staff has to impose their will on both of the aforementioned!!

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:02:02 pm »

I love Dan, I love the Hogs. But it seems that Indiana game was one of the few games where he has worked that hard to make himself available in scoring position. Maybe itís the way Indiana defended him. itís not going to have a huge impact on his draft position but it could have a major impact on our season. I put the blame at 30/30/40. Players have to lay off the 3 early, Dan gas to work hard to get the ball......and the fricking coaching staff has to impose their will on both of the aforementioned!!
If this happened....heck, we might even make the dance.

MakingPlays

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 11:03:57 pm »

Tell that to Indiana

What did he do get a bunch of dunks? When their starting center was in foul trouble the entire first half and was sitting on the bench.  And their back-up was slow and unathletic coming off of an ACL surgery.

Gafford has no problem doing things against smaller and less athletic players, but when he goes up against tall, strong, athletic guys like we'll see in the SEC he doesn't have enough offensive moves to be effective running the offense through him.  If you watch the players are trying to get it in to him, he's not strong enough to get those guys off of him and create space and then do a post move or make a play in the paint, that's why every time he plays against good big men he struggles.  WKY center had a field day on him.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 11:06:26 pm »

What did he do get a bunch of dunks? When their starting center was in foul trouble the entire first half and was sitting on the bench.  And their back-up was slow and unathletic coming off of an ACL surgery.

Gafford has no problem doing things against smaller and less athletic players, but when he goes up against tall, strong, athletic guys like we'll see in the SEC he doesn't have enough offensive moves to be effective running the offense through him.  If you watch the players are trying to get it in to him, he's not strong enough to get those guys off of him and create space and then do a post move or make a play in the paint, that's why every time he plays against good big men he struggles.  WKY center had a field day on him.
And for these reasons we will probably get him back next year.

maxhog5

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 11:13:34 pm »

On the three Arkansas possessions prior to Gafford picking up his 4th foul, I just happened to be focusing on him to see why he wasn't getting the ball.  On all three possessions, he worked hard and got position on the low block with the ball in  perfect position to be entered into him.  He got zero touches and I personally believe his frustration led to him reaching in for his fourth foul.

MakingPlays

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 11:17:03 pm »

And for these reasons we will probably get him back next year.

Nah, he's gone, coming back even if he slips to a late first rounder would hurt him and only further expose his game.  There's nothing left for him in college. 

There's plenty of guys like him in the NBA that are used strictly for their athleticism and defensive ability.  Javele McGee, Willy Cauley-Stein DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, and Jarrett Allen are all similar players to Gafford.  None of these guys really have a post game and get most of their baskets off of lobs, putbacks, and garbage buckets.  A guy like Gafford's game is actually more suited to the NBA game than the college. 

What this team really needs is a big man like Portis, notice you never seen a thread of anyone asking why Portis didn't get the ball enough, Portis could score at all 3 levels and had posts moves and knew how to use his body to get open.  He's the type of big man you can run an offense through.

USChog

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 07:59:55 am »

I was concerned at the start of the season that DG might have difficulty being THE man. Early in the season, when our shooters were hot, I thought I was wrong. Now that things have cooled off a bit, he should be the guy taking over the game, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I know the team is not giving him enough touches, but he is also getting bullied down low by less athletic players.

Honestly just frustrated this morning mostly because I have no answers...but I'm not the only one.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 08:02:38 am »

2 attempts in first 2 minutes, then disappears.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:35 am »

last night, was the night to feed dan. florida did not double him.  should have gotten him the ball, until they did doubled him.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 12-2 Vegas Bowl Champions!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:31 am »

it refreshing to see we have as many armchair point guards as we do qb's.....we are in good hands.

Smithian

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 08:21:09 am »

. . . ONLY get/take 4 shots in a game where he played 27 minutes?  AND HE MADE 3/4!
This is inexcusable for both the coaches and the wing players. Coaches should have better emphasized it, and for the players I am not sure if I would call it laziness or what.

The Hogs have had some games where they worked hard and got him the ball in the right spot. Last night? No. Really bad.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:11 am »

it refreshing to see we have as many armchair point guards as we do qb's.....we are in good hands.

Are any of them wrong?

TushCrush

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 08:32:25 am »

Gafford has no problem doing things against smaller and less athletic players, but when he goes up against tall, strong, athletic guys like we'll see in the SEC he doesn't have enough offensive moves to be effective running the offense through him. 
I tend to agree with this take. Dontae Bassett roughed Dan up pretty good last night.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:03 am »

I'm not seeing the want too from Daniel Gafford. He's not trying to be the guy on the team but is content to being one of the guys. The guy on this team is Mason Jones. He's a Alpha Male that does not lack in confidence. He saved our butts against A&M and single handily got the Hogs back in the game last night. Dan has to be the guy and not just be okay with being one of the guys on the team. Barford and Macon made life a lot easier for Dan last year. This year he's struggling and is not working to get the ball. How many times did he beat a Florida big down court last night? He excelled at running the floor and getting easy shots last year.

sunalmighty79

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:37 am »

Coach needs to have a game plan for Gafford. He would definitely benefit from a big man camp and develop some post moves

ShadowHawg

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:38 am »

I like how some posters here are perplexed in thinking that our players don't recognize they need to get Gafford the ball more but don't don't believe the other team is aware of that fact also and taking steps to make it difficult.

I saw at least 3 turnovers made trying to get the ball to Gafford. One was an entire possession spent working the ball around until the shot clock expired where it was tried to get Gafford the ball exclusively.

The thing I would like to see tried to improve in this area is to run someone to the high post area and try to get Gafford the ball from there. Trying to feed from the wing exclusively, and it seems it's the left wing mostly, doesn't open up the floor for anyone and makes him easier to deny.

HawgTrough

• Senior
  • You better help that damn bear
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 09:43:56 am »

I'm afraid Gafford cost himself some money by coming back.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:15 am »

When a big man is being double and triple teamed the answer to make outside shots until the defense loosens.  Our defense loosening shots were airballs.  Or turnovers.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 09:55:12 am »

When a big man is being double and triple teamed the answer to make outside shots until the defense loosens.  Our defense loosening shots were airballs.  Or turnovers.

Thatís why I started a thread to shoot more 3ís, but it got moved to trash. Hit a couple and it opens the middle for Gafford.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 10:18:28 am »

I'm afraid Gafford cost himself some money by coming back.

I think he will be drafted about where he would have been last year, if that happens you would be correct, The 2 Million plus he would have been payed this year is gone with the wind. 

hobhog

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 10:32:03 am »

Thatís why I started a thread to shoot more 3ís, but it got moved to trash. Hit a couple and it opens the middle for Gafford.

Setting some screens would help the guards AND Gaffors in some pic and rolls. Shooting threes with 25 seconds on shot clock doesn't do much for anyone.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 10:59:17 am »

Setting some screens would help the guards AND Gaffors in some pic and rolls. Shooting threes with 25 seconds on shot clock doesn't do much for anyone.

Careful. What you are talking about requires coaching.

MakingPlays

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:21 am »

Yea, Florida was clogging the lane, doubling, and even triple teaming Gafford and daring others to shoot the ball.  It's really nothing else you can do but make the the shots.  If Joe had a normal shooting night, we win that game.  Joe probably won't play another game this season where he gets as many wide open shots as Florida gave him last night.

Hogimus Prime

• Roll Out
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »

DG doesnít really have any post moves.  No drop steps, no kinda hook.  He doesnít get good position at times. He doesnít repost. Simple things, but as quick as some of the guards shoot it its pointless for him to fight for post position.  DG needs guards like Harris that will drive and dish or drive to score and he can clean up their miss.  When he does get the ball teams wisely double team him cause lets face it outiside of IJ3 who is going to consistently hit the 3?

Fan701

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 01:47:53 pm »

Yea, Florida was clogging the lane, doubling, and even triple teaming Gafford and daring others to shoot the ball.  It's really nothing else you can do but make the the shots.  If Joe had a normal shooting night, we win that game.  Joe probably won't play another game this season where he gets as many wide open shots as Florida gave him last night.
Most of the threes we shot were wide open.  Joe, Embery, Harris, Gabe, Sills just kept bricking them.  Had they hit just a few of them, we win.  Florida gambled that we'd miss them, focused on stopping Gafford, and their gamble paid off.  Had Joe been on, we might have run them out of the gym early on, but it was just one of those nights when the shots didn't fall.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 02:09:51 pm »

I can't understand it either.  When you have a problem scoring, get the ball to the guy shooting 70% from the field...

During our 10 minute 3 point brick building binge I told my wife "I would call a timeout right this second and tell everyone Gafford is getting the ball and scoring on our next trip down the court.  If anyone other than Gafford takes a shot on the next possession, I'll murder everyone here."

Smithian

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 07:10:12 pm »

Looks like this was a point of emphasis in practice before this game. 30 points is outstanding for a big man without a jumper.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 08:17:07 pm »

He aight...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas