• 10,158,446 Posts
• 405,230 Topics
• 23,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No team should regress  (Read 2095 times)

JenksHawg

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: No team should regress
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:09 am »

Jalen Harris went from a very below average D1 player at NM to a top 3 PG in the Country.

top 3 pg in the country???? He can't shoot or score.  TO to Assist ratio is great, sure, but if he were a top 3 PG in the country I'm pretty sure we'd be a lot better team than we are. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 09:22:22 am »

They looked physically and mentally fatigued to me. I asked Mike about it after the game and he said he's been careful not to overwork them during the semester break but with nobody on campus to me there's a danger that a lot of these guys hang around the practice gym all day long working on shooting, free throw shooting, ball handling etc. There is such a thing as too much practice even if it's not in a formal workout.

I also asked Mike White about because his guys looked out of sync offensively too. He admitted that it's a concern and he's not sure how to handle it. You want your guys to improve and you don't want to tell them they're in the gym too much on their own but dealing with what amounts to a month long semester break can be an issue.

Being much better conditioned has been the cornerstone of the entire system.  Overwhelm teams to where it takes a physical and mental toll.  Cleveland Hill.  Drills with medicine balls.  Not possible to replicate any longer? 

Harris is playing 31 mpg.  36 and 35 in first two SEC games.  Even at a slow pace, too much.

Jones' last 5 games:  34, 24, 30, 33, 35  = 32 mpg

Joe is playing 29 mpg on the season.  35 last night. 

Need to find some more usable depth as the physical teams will just keep pounding on them. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Superhog1959

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 09:22:38 am »

They looked physically and mentally fatigued to me. I asked Mike about it after the game and he said he's been careful not to overwork them during the semester break but with nobody on campus to me there's a danger that a lot of these guys hang around the practice gym all day long working on shooting, free throw shooting, ball handling etc. There is such a thing as too much practice even if it's not in a formal workout.

I also asked Mike White about because his guys looked out of sync offensively too. He admitted that it's a concern and he's not sure how to handle it. You want your guys to improve and you don't want to tell them they're in the gym too much on their own but dealing with what amounts to a month long semester break can be an issue.
This makes sense to me. Neither team shot well. You would expect some inconsistency with a young team, but lately these kids have been down more than up. Bad habits have shown up. Maybe they need to reboot, just get away from it for a day or two. Players can slump, so can teams. 

HawgTrough

• Senior
  • You better help that damn bear
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 09:25:11 am »

He’s a really nice guy and has never had losing season.

I think he's gonna struggle to maintain that "never had a losing season".

10-4 right now, 17 games to play. 5 guaranteed blowout losses (@ Tenn, Ole Miss, T Tech, "Barn, and KY) 2 games below .500 in the others and he can kiss it goodbye

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 09:27:07 am »

I just don't see the regression. I see a young team that everyone and their dog knew would be inconsistent coming in.

They have found ways to win and have a chance to win in every game they have played. They played horrible last night. We had 2 turnovers where guys who were completely unguarded fell to the floor as the ball was passed to them. Our free throw shooting was atrocious.

The game was gross to watch. We had a chance to win at the end . A blowout would have been regression.

HawgTrough

• Senior
  • You better help that damn bear
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 09:29:20 am »

I just don't see the regression. I see a young team that everyone and their dog knew would be inconsistent coming in.

They have found ways to win and have a chance to win in every game they have played. They played horrible last night. We had 2 turnovers where guys who were completely unguarded fell to the floor as the ball was passed to them. Our free throw shooting was atrocious.

The game was gross to watch. We had a chance to win at the end . A blowout would have been regression.

the only reason it wasn't a blowout was poor coaching by Florida. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 09:38:26 am »

I don't think it is regression.

Opponents have gotten film and scouted us.  Texas didn't have it.  IU had little.  By the time we got to WKU and GT, teams had at least something to go on to prepare for our newcomers.  Plus Stans being familiar with what we want to do.  This gets taken to a next level in SEC play along with the intensity.  When you don't have vets who have been through it, you are going to see a learning curve. 

OkieBack

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 10:21:18 am »

I don't think I've ever seen an Arkansas team that only scored 6 points halfway through the first half of a game.  Embarrassing. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25:41 am »

I don't think I've ever seen an Arkansas team that only scored 6 points halfway through the first half of a game.  Embarrassing.

Cal 2014 NIT was close except Cal scored where Florida didn't so much. 

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 10:51:33 am »

Which is?
16-16 first year. 13-1 and projected #1 seed in tournament this year.  It is either a deal with the devil or magic book. 

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:24 am »

16-16 first year. 13-1 and projected #1 seed in tournament this year.  It is either a deal with the devil or magic book.

Actually he was 15-19 first year, 16-16 next. I think what you see is the studs now have been 3-4 year players. That's what we need to see happen with this core groups sans Gafford obviously. If we get this group of freshman to buy in and stay 4 years we could be very good. Number 1 seed, idk but darn scary to play.

roothawg

• Varsity
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 11:37:43 am »

The hogs look pitiful. You have a first round big guy and nobody on the team knows it. I am tiered of being just ok. Two coaches had great teams here so there are no excuses.

Beaverfever

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 12:28:09 pm »

I don't think it is regression. I think the grind of playing D1 teams has caught up to these dudes and there are no seniors to take over.

I don't think people realize how good we had it last year with Macon and Barford. All anyone can remember from last year is the tourney loss.
We went 10-8 in conference play last year and got embarrassed in the tournament.  Last year was a failure from top to bottom. 

checkraiser88

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 12:30:33 pm »

top 3 pg in the country???? He can't shoot or score.  TO to Assist ratio is great, sure, but if he were a top 3 PG in the country I'm pretty sure we'd be a lot better team than we are.

He is one of the best pg’s. Coaching is the reason we aren’t any good with this talented group.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 01:04:43 pm »

We went 10-8 in conference play last year and got embarrassed in the tournament.  Last year was a failure from top to bottom.

As a hog basketball fan I have had a front row seat to real failure the last 2 decades. Last season wasn't a failure by any means.

USChog

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:40 am »

10 - 8 in a conference that sent 8 teams to the NCAA tournament. Kentucky, which is the gold standard, also went 10 - 8, but I guess expectations aren't being met.

I will admit the tournament game was a disaster, but 23 - 12 overall hardly seems like a failure.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:54 pm »

It’s not that the team has regressed. The players are the same, but now there is film in them and the blueprint is out. Run Joe and Jones off the 3 point line and you got them. I support MA, but if a change we’re to happen I wouldn’t have an issue with it. I think he has taken the program about as far as he can and has laid a foundation that someone else can take to the next level

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 12:20:24 pm »

10 - 8 in a conference that sent 8 teams to the NCAA tournament. Kentucky, which is the gold standard, also went 10 - 8, but I guess expectations aren't being met.

I will admit the tournament game was a disaster, but 23 - 12 overall hardly seems like a failure.

So Mike had two senior All-SEC guards, and All-SEC freshman Center, and a roster filled with upperclassmen....and THAT is the best he could do?

What makes anyone think we will ever do better than that? Weve hit Mike's ceiling.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 12:29:21 pm »

It seems that people have different perceptions of the term "regress".  But when you boil it all down...I believe the litmus test for how our teams are progressing is NCAAT.  There have been years when we gradually progressed throughout the year, then looked like a totally different team in March.  Then there have been years when we looked pretty good all year (last year) and still bombed in March.  I think most people watch college basketball with an eye  towards March (constant RPI, Kenpom, BPI, whatever talk).  For the Hogs....so far, not good.  But I still watch and hope for a miracle.

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 12:35:34 pm »

A bump in the road, according to Anderson. A young team an a night when they were all off there game except Jones. Time will tell if that was the case, no need to overreact at this point, let the season play out an hope for better results an performances.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas