• 10,165,494 Posts
• 405,363 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grad Transfer Quarterback Recruiting Heating Up (Storey, Hurts, Buechele)  (Read 6334 times)

greenie

Looks like we may be left with Noland, Jones, Jefferson, and hopefully a grad transfer.  My guess is that Buechele is the primary target, with Hicks as the back up...and then the intramural fields.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ArkansasI

This quarterback thing is a cluster.  The top of the roster is abandoning ship. Even if a young guy is ready to step in, the position is razor thin.

Backcountryhog

I have a feeling Noland is gonna take a major step forward with a decent OL

LAHogfan123

Looks like we may be left with Noland, Jones, Jefferson, and hopefully a grad transfer.  My guess is that Buechele is the primary target, with Hicks as the back up...and then the intramural fields.

You left out Hyatt, who is a Sophomore.  If he could ever put everything together and gain some weight he might be a good one, and Noland, just No.  Noland needs to play baseball and forget about this fooseball stuff, we need him concentrating on baseball entirely.  KJ Jefferson, 2020 looks to be when Morris has plans to hand him the keys if everything goes as planned.

LAHogfan123

https://www.nwahomepage.com/pig-trail-nation/hog-recruiting/grad-transfer-quarterback-recruiting-heating-up/1694661205

It doesn't seem like this Texas QB would be and option Otis, if he can't come until after summer to me he'd be a waste.  I'd really hate to end up with Hicks from SMU, I'd much rather we keep Storey here than go that route even though some fans think otherwise.  But Hicks can't run a lick and Storey can and Hicks throws alot of interceptions, so I think we'd actually be going backward with him.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..

This quarterback thing is a cluster.  The top of the roster is abandoning ship. Even if a young guy is ready to step in, the position is razor thin.

The QB situation was already a "cluster." Subtract one, add another. I can't blame Ty for exploring his options and leaving if we bring in a grad transfer with the intent of starting the new guy.

I won't lose any sleep over it either. I'll be surprised if he lands at a Power 5 school. ASU's QB was a SR, maybe he would be a good fit for them..

greenie

You left out Hyatt, who is a Sophomore.  If he could ever put everything together and gain some weight he might be a good one, and Noland, just No.  Noland needs to play baseball and forget about this fooseball stuff, we need him concentrating on baseball entirely.  KJ Jefferson, 2020 looks to be when Morris has plans to hand him the keys if everything goes as planned.

Agreed, but I left him out on purpose. The last sentence in the article mentions rumors of his interest in transferring as well.

UnknownNobody

Agreed, but I left him out on purpose. The last sentence in the article mentions rumors of his interest in transferring as well.

He needs to decide, school starts in a few days. I think he is going to go thru Spring Practice and see where he falls on the depth chart.

Been10Hog

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

We will be better off at QB this spring with who is on campus than we were last year. Noland and Jones can thrive in this offense. Storey saw that! That's why he is leaving. Don't understand why some say we would be better off keeping Storey than taking a grad transfer. Storey was not going to be the starter in 2019. He knew that. Why would we want to keep a guy who would be behind Noland and probably Jones by August camp? Coach knows what he is doing

#1 STUNNA

Re: Grad Transfer Quarterback Recruiting Heating Up (Storey, Hurts, Buechele)
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 09:13:44 am »

It doesn't seem like this Texas QB would be and option Otis, if he can't come until after summer to me he'd be a waste.  I'd really hate to end up with Hicks from SMU, I'd much rather we keep Storey here than go that route even though some fans think otherwise.  But Hicks can't run a lick and Storey can and Hicks throws alot of interceptions, so I think we'd actually be going backward with him.
Texas qb has 2 years... they take him regardless of when he can get to campus.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:42 am »

I didnít know there were so many QB coaches on here...........

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 11:05:16 am »

Texas qb has 2 years... they take him regardless of when he can get to campus.
I think this is the answer.  If Buechele got to the Hillin early June, heíd have 2 months to be in the playbook and hitting up film before practices start.  Barring Noland/JSJ taking giant leaps from year 1 or KJ being the second coming, Buechele would be a better option than all of them.  And if one of them is better than him?  Woo hoo we have a legit QB and maybe 2019 will be better than we expect.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:18:05 am »

I think this is the answer.  If Buechele got to the Hillin early June, heíd have 2 months to be in the playbook and hitting up film before practices start.  Barring Noland/JSJ taking giant leaps from year 1 or KJ being the second coming, Buechele would be a better option than all of them.  And if one of them is better than him?  Woo hoo we have a legit QB and maybe 2019 will be better than we expect.

Go to YouTube and watch Texas vs Notre Dame 2016. It was Buchele's first game and Texas at the time ran an Offense very similar to what Morris runs and Buechele ran it to perfection. He ususally got the ball snapped with 20sec left on the play clock, made quick reads and delivered the ball.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:21 am »

I have a feeling Noland is gonna take a major step forward with a decent OL
All QBs would improve with OL.  However, we are replacing 3 OL starters with a significant amount of experience.  Its not logical to expect improvement on the OL this year.  Juco OL recruits are hit or miss (50/50.)  Hopefully, one turns out.  I think we see improvement on the OL in 20 and a step backwards in 19 simply because of maturity and experience. 

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 01:01:35 pm »

All QBs would improve with OL.  However, we are replacing 3 OL starters with a significant amount of experience.  Its not logical to expect improvement on the OL this year.  Juco OL recruits are hit or miss (50/50.)  Hopefully, one turns out.  I think we see improvement on the OL in 20 and a step backwards in 19 simply because of maturity and experience.

We lost 4 guys on the O line who had eligibility before this season even started. Rogers "retired." Heinrich and Merrick went out on medical. Dylan Hays was projected to start at C, then he went on medical hardship..

There were 10 scholarship guys on the O line at times, sometimes less. And it's not logical to expect improvement? There will be NUMBERS on the line and COMPETITION. That alone will be an improvement.

Whether that translates into on field improvement remains to be seen, but Wagner played well at times as a RS FR, the staff has praised Clenin and Gatlin, Winkel got hurt right after he got here and Robinson is a the son of a coach who played at Texas.

Some of the holdovers last year won jobs by default because of all the injuries and the others weren't ready. Anybody winning a job on this line in 2019 will have had competition. That alone will make it better IMO.

Other than Froholdt, will any of the ones leaving be drafted? NO! Wallace could be in the late rounds, but I doubt it.

And Froholdt was affected by swinging back and forth between C and G last season. He had never played C before. Clary was thrown in by the previous staff before he was ready as a blue shirt walkon in one of the most head-scratching moves in my memory.

Clary has potential to be a good player, he needs to snap better obviously. To just assume improvement by osmosis would be a mistake, but so would assuming they are going to suck again just because 3 SRs left when 2 of them weren't all that..

Backcountryhog

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »

Well 2 of the so called starters that left had absolutely zero business on a starting SEC OL. (Much like about 90% of all our starters-at every position) Playing OL has a lot to do with physical maturity. Iíll take a JC kid whoís 20 years old any day on the OL when they are being offered by proven coaches at winning programs. And it will help having WRís with the speed to actually get open in this league. We had none of that this past season. Morris is quickly cutting the fat on the pathetic roster that dough boy left us. We will be improved in 2019, simply by subtraction of a lot of players that never shoulda been offered. Just my opinion.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 01:45:09 pm »

It looking like the Wide West!

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 02:23:45 pm »

We lost 4 guys on the O line who had eligibility before this season even started. Rogers "retired." Heinrich and Merrick went out on medical. Dylan Hays was projected to start at C, then he went on medical hardship..

There were 10 scholarship guys on the O line at times, sometimes less. And it's not logical to expect improvement? There will be NUMBERS on the line and COMPETITION. That alone will be an improvement.

Whether that translates into on field improvement remains to be seen, but Wagner played well at times as a RS FR, the staff has praised Clenin and Gatlin, Winkel got hurt right after he got here and Robinson is a the son of a coach who played at Texas.

Some of the holdovers last year won jobs by default because of all the injuries and the others weren't ready. Anybody winning a job on this line in 2019 will have had competition. That alone will make it better IMO.

Other than Froholdt, will any of the ones leaving be drafted? NO! Wallace could be in the late rounds, but I doubt it.

And Froholdt was affected by swinging back and forth between C and G last season. He had never played C before. Clary was thrown in by the previous staff before he was ready as a blue shirt walkon in one of the most head-scratching moves in my memory.

Clary has potential to be a good player, he needs to snap better obviously. To just assume improvement by osmosis would be a mistake, but so would assuming they are going to suck again just because 3 SRs left when 2 of them weren't all that..
Great points.  We felt the loss for sure, but numbers alone don't make a better OL.  I don't know the number but between Froholdt, Wallace and Gibson we probably logged more SEC minutes experience than all of these back ups combined.  All I'm saying is that is very likely that we go trough a very large learning curve.  Going into the fall, we will struggle on the OL due to inexperience, and it will definitely affect whoever the QB is. 

hawgtime

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 03:16:52 pm »

We will be better off at QB this spring with who is on campus than we were last year. Noland and Jones can thrive in this offense. Storey saw that! That's why he is leaving. Don't understand why some say we would be better off keeping Storey than taking a grad transfer. Storey was not going to be the starter in 2019. He knew that. Why would we want to keep a guy who would be behind Noland and probably Jones by August camp? Coach knows what he is doing

I agree, we do lose experience with Ty leaving but we don't lose the starter or the future. 

young-uns STEP UP!!!

Leadbelly

• Senior
  • Donít ya think someone oughta reckon with him?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:23 pm »

Címon Man! This is HOGVILLE!

BR

• Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is done.
    • BR's Home Page
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 06:34:18 pm »

I know we need a QB bad, but if I was a Transfer QB that had a Marginal Career.. I would go to Leach at Washington State.. Look what he did this year with the kid from Eastern Carolina.  None of us would of wanted him last year at Arkansas after seeing his Stats at ECU.   Maybe Coach Morris can strike this kinda Gold..

Minshew began his college football career in 2015 at Northwest Mississippi Community College. He led the team to the NJCAA National Football Championship, passing for 3,228 yards with a 60.8% completion percentage. Minshew transferred to East Carolina University in 2016 where he played in seven games while starting two at QB for the Pirates. In 2017 he split time with Duke University transfer Thomas Sirk as East Carolina's quarterback. Minshew received his bachelor's degree in December 2017.  Minshew enrolled as a graduate student at Washington State in the fall of 2018. He became immediately eligible under the NCAA's graduate transfer rules.

Minshew helped lead Washington State to a school-record-breaking 11 wins in 2018. In his third game as the school's starting quarterback, he passed for a career high and school record 470 yards and a 78.9% completion rate in a 59Ė24 victory over Eastern Washington. On November 17, he again broke school records with 473 passing yards and seven passing touchdowns against Arizona.  At the end of the 2018 regular season, Minshew led FBS in pass completions (433) and pass attempts (613), and was second in passing yards (4,477).  During Washington State's Alamo Bowl win over Iowa State, Minshew claimed the Pac-12 single season record for most passing yards, a record previously held by Jared Goff.

Minshew was awarded the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award as the nation's top senior- or fourth-year quarterback. He was named the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year for 2018, joining Rueben Mayes (1984 and 1985), Steve Broussard (1989), Drew Bledsoe (1992), Ryan Leaf (1997), and Jason Gesser (2002) as the only Washington State offensive players to win the award since the it began in 1975.  Minshew finished fifth in voting for the Heisman Trophy, becoming the ninth player in Washington State history to place in the top 10 for the award, and the highest WSU finisher since Ryan Leaf, who was third in Heisman voting in 1997

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 08:12:23 pm »

Lots of people know how to hit the x button on the XBOX controller to complete a crossing pattern.....

MSHog27

• Band Nerd
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 11:05:46 pm »

LP.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 10:28:42 am »

You left out Hyatt, who is a Sophomore.

I liked Hyatt coming out of spring but nothing in the fall. Heard he is hard to coach. Not welling to listen to coaches?  If we do do get a transfer till June that would give all the QBs lots of reps and a huge opportunity.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 01:36:43 pm »

Great points.  We felt the loss for sure, but numbers alone don't make a better OL.  I don't know the number but between Froholdt, Wallace and Gibson we probably logged more SEC minutes experience than all of these back ups combined.  All I'm saying is that is very likely that we go trough a very large learning curve.  Going into the fall, we will struggle on the OL due to inexperience, and it will definitely affect whoever the QB is.

I agree that numbers alone won't make the line improve, but it is a great start. 9 of these kids will have been recruited by THIS staff for THIS system, which was not the case last year.

9 is about all we had at times last season on the O line. Experience alone is not going to equal improvement.

Colton Jackson had a lot of experience coming into this season. In his defense, he was coming off of back surgery and missed one game after having spasms on the way to the stadium, but his play wasn't good or we would not have brought in 2 Jucos at OT.

Hopefully, the back problems won't persist this season and he can play better. IMO, there is a good chance if he is beaten out at LT, he moves to RT or inside to G.

Ideally, both Jucos will start at the Tackle spots, Clary improves his snapping and Jackson can move inside with Clenin or someone stepping up at the other G.

I don't think it's a given that the line will take a step back with most of the players going into their 2nd year in this system and having numbers. Having backs pick up blitzes better and a QB who will get the ball out quicker would make the line look better also..

UnknownNobody

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 02:22:04 pm »

I agree that numbers alone won't make the line improve, but it is a great start. 9 of these kids will have been recruited by THIS staff for THIS system, which was not the case last year.

9 is about all we had at times last season on the O line. Experience alone is not going to equal improvement.

Colton Jackson had a lot of experience coming into this season. In his defense, he was coming off of back surgery and missed one game after having spasms on the way to the stadium, but his play wasn't good or we would not have brought in 2 Jucos at OT.

Hopefully, the back problems won't persist this season and he can play better. IMO, there is a good chance if he is beaten out at LT, he moves to RT or inside to G.

Ideally, both Jucos will start at the Tackle spots, Clary improves his snapping and Jackson can move inside with Clenin or someone stepping up at the other G.

I don't think it's a given that the line will take a step back with most of the players going into their 2nd year in this system and having numbers. Having backs pick up blitzes better and a QB who will get the ball out quicker would make the line look better also..

The bottomline we are building a foundation.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:26 am »

Story doesnít turn the ball over? Please. Love the kid and wish him well but he simply wasnít SEC level. He gave Charleston fans many good memories and lived a dream I never did - be a Hog.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 05:48:16 am »

Dude, I have won more armchair QB awards than you can shake a stick at.  ;)

Iím close to taking the Madden championship as well. Pay attention to what I say.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas