• 10,057,032 Posts
• 402,612 Topics
• 23,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Storey transferring?  (Read 11417 times)

BossHawg_Outlaw

Re: Storey transferring?
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2019, 08:18:39 am »

It amazes just how many fans in this state thinks a freshman quarterback coming to Arkansas cannot start as a freshman. Can't be the situation with freshmen in all other schools as they are in fact starting all around the country. Is is a lack of knowledge on the fans part or a general lack of quarterback talent coming to the University of Arkansas. Tend to think it might be the fan.

I bet 99% of the freshman who start came in early and went through spring football.  KJ isn't coming until this summer that is a lot to ask for a freshman. 

Hawgboy64

• Senior
  • Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2019, 08:26:22 am »

Nothing but best wishes for the young man.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hoggusamoungus

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2019, 08:43:50 am »

Small school in Mississippi and was Player of the Year in Mississippi.

Small school in Arkansas, Gatorade POY and now the subject of this thread.  Nothing is guaranteed.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2019, 08:49:23 am »

Good bye to the Tugboat!

UnknownNobody

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2019, 08:49:31 am »

Small school in Arkansas, Gatorade POY and now the subject of this thread.  Nothing is guaranteed.

Absolutely true however KJ's story ramains to be written and we are in the final chapter of Ty's

Porkerpower

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:47 am »

People always set them self up for disipointment... Thinking like this .. that guy is a once in a generation tallent KJ played at a small school in Alabama and is raw as idk what ... He has great measurables and by all accounts a ton of potential but will need development.. most do

So many examples:  Matt Jones SHOULD have been starter as a freshman.  Georgia traditionally has zero problem with throwing a pup out there and letting him grow.  And if you care to research, which I'm not, you'll find many more. 

Polecat

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:10 am »

Best of luck to the young man. From all appearances, all he ever wanted was to be a Razorback and see the home state school win football games. Just like the rest of us

texas tush hog

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2019, 09:07:39 am »

Does KJ have the tools necessary to be a difference maker at QB? Is he good enough?

Short answer. Yes.

Little Lady Back

• Senior
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2019, 09:26:35 am »

Good bye to the Tugboat!
I'm sorry but this made me lol  ;D

Little Lady Back

• Senior
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2019, 09:27:11 am »

Best of luck to the young man. From all appearances, all he ever wanted was to be a Razorback and see the home state school win football games. Just like the rest of us

Well said.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 09:29:06 am »

Well he couldn't make it with Bielema's teams... think he was a third stringer.  He only became the starter after Cole threw 6 picks in that bad loss against North Texas.  He didn't have much of a career here.

carolinahogger

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:12 am »

Does KJ have the tools necessary to be a difference maker at QB?

Difference maker?  That is not where the bar is set.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2019, 09:38:43 am »

We have 9 new players (*if I’m not mistaken) coming in to help the oline (*clearly there will be redshirts to get them physically ready but the new 4 game rule keeps them focused as if they will play, because they might!) from PWO’s to incoming Freshmen on scholarship and those aforementioned Jucos. We only 8-9 semi healthy oline players for most of last year. That’s a nightmare scenario for any Coach to clean up but then add that he had a couple “Locker Room “Lawyers” and “their guys” (his words) making it very difficult for Coach Fry.

The O Line is going to get fixed under Fry’s coaching and recruiting. I know the HVBT sells him short but he can recruit and coach—look at who he is on for 2020 then go see what they are saying about Fry.. I firmly believe the oline will be MUCH better this Fall, not perfect, but it will be very different from this past season.

Any QB coming in will also be excited about these incoming freshmen WR’s and Henry.

If we get Buechele and I think we do... Next Fall will be a LOT more fun to watch.

On another note, “UnkownNobody” told me early last Fall to watch the 2016 Texas-ND game...  That if Herman has Buechele ride the bench that he would excel in Morris’s Offense and then listed the various connections to our Staff. Just wanted to give him some credit for an outstanding observation.

Here is a condensed video of that game...

I watched the posted game video. So I watched TX give up a 31-14 lead midway through the 3rd quarter and thought "he should fit right in, sign him up."

On a serious note, he made a couple of nice, deep throws, but also airmailed a couple of open receivers. He certainly has a stronger arm that Ty, who consistently underthrew deep receivers. Texas won that game because they leaned on the running game.

On a side note, any chance we can get Deshone Kizer? He was a load when he pulled it down and ran it. (I know he is in the NFL)

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:32 am »

Difference maker?  That is not where the bar is set.

Yea how about just try not to be a turnover machine and I'll be happy

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2019, 09:40:30 am »

Continue the cleanse.

carolinahogger

« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2019, 09:43:18 am »

It amazes just how many fans in this state thinks a freshman quarterback coming to Arkansas cannot start as a freshman. Can't be the situation with freshmen in all other schools as they are in fact starting all around the country. Is is a lack of knowledge on the fans part or a general lack of quarterback talent coming to the University of Arkansas. Tend to think it might be the fan.

Maybe those lacking-in-knowledge fans watched the games last season and noticed that our OL was historically bad.  KJ might look pretty good next season if he lined up behind a Clemson or Alabama caliber line.  The only kind of freshman who could look good behind our line would have to be the second coming of Matt Jones: a player who can improvise and make something out of nothing.

Superhog1959

« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:00 am »

Two years ago, some were saying we were loaded at QB. Called Cole the franchise. Now we cant even name a starter much less a backup. I don't know where this takes us, but where we are at sure don't feel good. There has been so much bad happen to this program the last few years. If ever we need something good to happen for a change, it is now.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2019, 09:50:59 am »

Two years ago, some were saying we were loaded at QB. Called Cole the franchise. Now we cant even name a starter much less a backup. I don't know where this takes us, but where we are at sure don't feel good. There has been so much bad happen to this program the last few years. If ever we need something good to happen for a change, it is now.

Hogville didn't dub Kelley "the franchise" the wide recievers did because of his ability to throw the deep ball.

Superhog1959

« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2019, 09:54:55 am »

Hogville didn't dub Kelley "the franchise" the wide recievers did because of his ability to throw the deep ball.
I don't think it matters who called who what. My point is, it looked like we would be good at QB. Now it don't.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:21 am »

I don't think it matters who called who what. My point is, it looked like we would be good at QB. Now it don't.

You should read "Who Moved My Cheese"

Superhog1959

« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:10 am »

You should read "Who Moved My Cheese"
Probably wait for the movie lol

UnknownNobody

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:57 am »

Probably wait for the movie lol

Sounds right.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2019, 10:06:02 am »

Sounds right.
One goat ate the book, the other ate the film.  They concluded the book was better...

UnknownNobody

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:42 am »

One goat ate the book, the other ate the film.  They concluded the book was better...

It was mice not goats!!! Geeze.

;)

tbhogfan

« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2019, 11:12:24 am »

Does KJ have the tools necessary to be a difference maker at QB? Is he good enough?
Yes. He has all the tools to be a great one, but not as a Freshman.

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:31 am »

Mmmmm Hyatt couldn’t sniff the field with Cole and Ty on board and was passed up by 2 true FR. That’s who you’re hanging your hat on ?
he saw the least action, so according to the HV savants, he clearly must be the answer!  ::)

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2019, 11:20:49 am »

Yes. He has all the tools to be a great one, but not as a Freshman.
Dabo and Trevor say play the man!!

010HogFan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:09 am »

Ehh. Not really close to the same thing. KJ is a completely different animal than Ty.

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2019, 11:30:15 am »

I bet 99% of the freshman who start came in early and went through spring football.  KJ isn't coming until this summer that is a lot to ask for a freshman.

It amazes me how many people simply ignore this when pointing to other QBs around the country who excelled as true freshmen.  As you said, the vast majority of true freshmen QBs who come in and make an immediate difference enrolled in January and had an entire offseason to go through spring practice, learn the system, workout with the strength & conditioning program, become acclimated to college life, etc.

ESPN had an article last May on the rise of true freshmen starting QBs. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23396659/the-rise-true-freshman-qb

The article contains some notable quotes from Tom Herman on the importance of early enrollment:

"You never want to use the word 'must,'" Texas coach Tom Herman said, "but the advantages are so big that it would be hard to imagine a kid coming in in June and being your starting quarterback in August."
Herman said the extra five to six months on campus makes quarterbacks "leaps and bounds more prepared" as freshmen.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2019, 11:30:20 am »

he saw the least action, so according to the HV savants, he clearly must be the answer!  ::)

I dont think anyone has said he is the answer. The question considering he was passed over and put on the scout team is why is he still here? The SECN announcers for the Spring Game were in Fayetteville and watched a full week of practice and were very high on him. Morris saw what he had in Storey and Kelley and challenged Hyatt to step up and "show him something" but I guess that didn't happen.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2019, 12:21:19 pm »

Man if we get Shane "Bueller" Buechele, it's gonna be a fun time seeing folks spell his name.

After getting used to Bielema I don't think that will be much of a problem. Still, it took awhile for everyone to add that extra T to Ryan's name.

woodhog14

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2019, 12:49:11 pm »

Small school in Mississippi and was Player of the Year in Mississippi.

I think most understand your point however what many are saying is considering Storey is leaving we are either getting a Grad Trans or will be taking our lumps with Frosh next Fall.
Player of the Year in the 3A classification. Not overall.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2019, 12:57:35 pm »

You are correct and now it is all so clear...Jefferson sucks he will be a complete bust just like Ty. Might as well pull his scholarship now and fire the whole coaching staff.

/sarcasm

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2019, 01:16:16 pm »

You forget about The Landlord? Don't sleep on Jack Lindsey. Many who watch practice say he's the best we have -

Many said that about "Superstar In Waiting" Rafe Peavey too.. "Can't get on the field 'cause his last name ain't Allen" is what I heard for years..

Couldn't get on the field at SMU or FL Atlantic either.. hmmm.. they couldn't be saying that because they are from his hometown or due to his last name could they?

Superhog1959

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:59 pm »

I am not saying it wont happen that KJ could start, as he could be the best we have, TBD. But I do think its unlikely he could come in and be ready for the job. There are so many other areas esp. O line that we are weak in. It would be unrealistic that he could come in start and be successful. And it would not be fair to him to expect him to just take over. Even a seasoned, past successful QB would have problems with the other issues we have on offense.
I hope the O line really gets better this year, to me that is the key for any QB having much success. Sure QB play is critical, but if your running for you life or laying on your back, its hard to do much no matter who it is.

PorkBilly

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2019, 01:34:06 pm »

I have seen him live. He is real...good. I don't care what class it is. I don't think Coach Morris would have invested the time nor taken the chance of sticking with him if he wasn't special. Turns out he recruited the wide receivers and I'm sure had an influence. What more can we hope for? The guy seem pretty confident and kept his word for crying out loud.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2019, 01:35:38 pm »

I have seen him live. He is real...good. I don't care what class it is. I don't think Coach Morris would have invested the time nor taken the chance of sticking with him if he wasn't special. Turns out he recruited the wide receivers and I'm sure had an influence. What more can we hope for? The guy seem pretty confident and kept his word for crying out loud.

Overall, Mississippi 3a football is probably better than the majority of our class in state as well. I would say overall, high school football is more competitive than what we have in this state. One just has to look at the amount of 4* and 5* talent that comes from Mississippi as opposed from Arkansas.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2019, 01:36:26 pm »

One size fits all. That is what the people saying KJ should start are implying. Trevor Lawrence started as a FR for Clemson, won the NC, therefore all FR QBs are capable of doing the same or at least being the best on their campus right out of the chute..

Silly. Trevor Lawrence was the #1 rated QB in the HS ranks last year and could have named his college. KJ got a 4th star late and had a fine HS career in MS and a good offer list which included GA, but that does not in any way make him as highly regarded as Lawrence was a year ago.

Had Lawrence come here, he would have started but might not have made it through the season behind our line. This just in: Clemson has a lot more talent around Lawrence than we would have put around him..

What WR on our team in 2018 would have made some of those one-handed catches the other night? Anyone?

Hunter Johnson was a 5 star QB who left Clemson after Lawrence signed. Bryant led Clemson to the playoff in 2017 and left after Lawrence took over as the starter..

He has ruined things for every FR QB for awhile all over CFB. Fans all over will be expecting any FR QB with over 3 stars and a pulse to do what he did in 2018.

It doesn't work that way. Never has, never will. Lawrence is a generational type talent with poise to match. Barring injury, he will be talked about as the #1 pick in the NFL draft in 2021 from now until then.

It didn't hurt that that Clemson has numerous players who will be drafted between now and then either.

Thanks Ty, I wish you well wherever you play in 2019! And bring on Buechele or another grad transfer. Noland and KJ are raw, JSJ is extremely raw and looks to be about 5'8 and Hyatt was on the scout team and is so skinny he has to jump around in the shower to get wet..

woodhog14

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2019, 01:56:17 pm »

You are correct and now it is all so clear...Jefferson sucks he will be a complete bust just like Ty. Might as well pull his scholarship now and fire the whole coaching staff.

/sarcasm
I never said he sucked dude. I think he will be a good one in time. I was just clarifying your statement because the way you worded it made it sound like he was the High School Player of the Year in all classifications of Mississippi.

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2019, 01:59:28 pm »

KJ is not going to be the starter next year. I didn’t think the medical marijuana was available yet here. Apparently some of you got the jump and have hit the pipe a little too hard.

woodhog14

« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2019, 02:01:50 pm »

Good Lord...I think he is going to be good. I'm excited about seeing him progress and hopefully turn into an All-SEC QB. I simply pointed out the fact that KJ was Player of the Year in 3A in Mississippi. The post I referred to worded the statement as if KJ was the Player of the Year in all classifications in Mississippi.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2019, 02:12:18 pm »

Good Lord...I think he is going to be good. I'm excited about seeing him progress and hopefully turn into an All-SEC QB. I simply pointed out the fact that KJ was Player of the Year in 3A in Mississippi. The post I referred to worded the statement as if KJ was the Player of the Year in all classifications in Mississippi.

I was quoting Morris who said he was POY in Mississippi. I think some are tired of others he saying there is no way Jefferson plays next year.

From watching his film he did often seem like a man among boys but his talent is obvious. I think Morris will get him some quality reps in 4 games and redshirt him. However he could start in the last 4 games and still redshirt, nothing is set in stone.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2019, 02:49:10 pm »

KJ is not going to be the starter next year. I didn’t think the medical marijuana was available yet here. Apparently some of you got the jump and have hit the pipe a little too hard.

...hey now... :o

...e-e-easy...

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2019, 03:09:00 pm »

Ehh. Not really close to the same thing. KJ is a completely different animal than Ty.
Every recruit is.

texas tush hog

« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2019, 08:55:22 pm »

He can develop slowly now behind a grad transfer or one of our redshirt freshman. Probably be our starter by the third or fourth game and be there for the duration. I seriously doubt Morris has any intensions of redshirting him and jeopardizing his own job. As Darrell Royal used to say,"if they will bite they will bite as a pup".

Tick Hog

« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2019, 11:34:03 pm »

After watching and rewatching film on KJ there’s no denying his athleticism. He could prob be a D1 WR as well. He has a good arm that will get stronger ( they almost always do ) and seems to throw an accurate ball ( although the windows will be much smaller ) As far as him coming in and being the man will hang on how fast he can pick up the system and learn to read defenses. You can talk to any QB coach and they will tell you the really good players separate themselves with how fast they can process information. That ability usually takes time and reps to develop at each stage of competition jumps but not always. At minimum I think he gets a package for at least 4 games on his ability to run.

plumbhog

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2019, 04:24:17 am »

I was quoting Morris who said he was POY in Mississippi. I think some are tired of others he saying there is no way Jefferson plays next year.

From watching his film he did often seem like a man among boys but his talent is obvious. I think Morris will get him some quality reps in 4 games and redshirt him. However he could start in the last 4 games and still redshirt, nothing is set in stone.

Being 3A POY does not mean you have less talent than 5A POY but it almost guarantees that you played against lesser competition. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:08 am »

Looks like coach Morris is about to break some balls. No more nice guy. The goal is win. Not powder arse.

He’s doing it probably 7-9 months late, but glad to see him do it

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2019, 07:09:22 am »

If he starts in the last 4 games, we will once again be preparing for next year instead of a BG.  Could be very possible, but I hope not.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2019, 08:07:30 am »

Overall, Mississippi 3a football is probably better than the majority of our class in state as well. I would say overall, high school football is more competitive than what we have in this state. One just has to look at the amount of 4* and 5* talent that comes from Mississippi as opposed from Arkansas.

I hear this frequently, but don't buy it.  People saw that TX school of giants, in a completely different classification, kill Shiloah.  Big deal...a bunch of huge Tongan's whipping up on a smaller school.  SC wouldn't have even beaten our 7A teams that season, but people act like SC was the best team in the history of the state and got beat by a routine TX school.  That's not what happened...at all.   

Figure in that Bentonville and FV have had some success against both Jenks and Union in OK, and Bentonville has beaten South Panola handily, along with Rockhurst from KC, the top teams from St. Louis, and FV beating some Shreveport schools...and it starts to add up that Arkansas HS football isn't terrible like some insinuate.  Sure...we'd get killed by the biggest schools in TX most times..Highland Park, Allen, etc, but otherwise I think we hold our own better than some believe. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas