• 10,163,725 Posts
• 405,335 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shane Buechele odds  (Read 12589 times)

Hopeful Hog

Re: Shane Buechele odds
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:12 pm »

Ok here's my 2cents. Shane has a pretty good arm, much better than Ty, but from what I've seen he's no better as a runner. Shane is also pretty slightly built so I'm a little concerned he won't last through the season. Am I saying I wouldn't want him? Of course not. He's better than what we have by far and even more so since Ty is transferring but I just know that this offense won't take off until we have a QB that can really run, not move around a bit or get out of trouble but really by design get out and run by some dudes.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 10:06:11 pm »

Ok here's my 2cents. Shane has a pretty good arm, much better than Ty, but from what I've seen he's no better as a runner. Shane is also pretty slightly built so I'm a little concerned he won't last through the season. Am I saying I wouldn't want him? Of course not. He's better than what we have by far and even more so since Ty is transferring but I just know that this offense won't take off until we have a QB that can really run, not move around a bit or get out of trouble but really by design get out and run by some dudes.

Yup. That was Clemson's problem Monday. No threat of the QB running.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 10:10:53 pm »

Just how much have you seen of him as a runner? All of the recruiting experts thought he was a big time duel threat QB prospect. He's got an outstanding arm and a quick release. Throws a great long ball which is a key in CCM offense. Would be an absolute home run for us.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 10:13:25 pm »

If he wants to come you save that scholarship and give it to him.  Thereís no one better available to us.  At worst, if he didnít come, we have another scholarship for next year or have to run off one less kid.

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 10:15:31 pm »

Ok here's my 2cents. Shane has a pretty good arm, much better than Ty, but from what I've seen he's no better as a runner. Shane is also pretty slightly built so I'm a little concerned he won't last through the season.

Shane is at the very least as good a runner as Ty. Shaneís Freshman season 12 games 161 yards rushing.

Ty this season 146 yard in 10 games. Marginal difference.

Durablity is a concern as he surgery already on his hip

UnknownNobody

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2019, 10:37:04 pm »

Shane is at the very least as good a runner as Ty. Shaneís Freshman season 12 games 161 yards rushing.

He tore an abductor/abdominal muscle where it connects to the hip.

He is tough as nails but is not suited to be an every down runner (Ehlinger led the team in rushing yards last year)

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 10:48:22 pm »

Why does everyone think we have too have a running back playing qb... Watson at clemson was a passer who could run Lawrence is a passer .. kid at SMU passer

Waldron_Hog

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2019, 10:48:50 pm »

How does he read defenses? All those highlights were him hitting the first read.

island hog

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2019, 10:56:19 pm »

I have watched nearly every game heís had at QB... he is a winner that throw very well. Not super mobile but moves well in the pocket and is accurate.  He got beat out by a guy whoís bigger and stronger and becoming a cult hero for the Horns but Shane can play.  Iíd take him but donít expect as much of a dual threat as a passer.  Heís Nick Folse to Carsen Wentz for the Horns... in a college sense.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 11:11:58 pm »

Bring him on.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 11:21:35 pm »

Nope, you can be put into the portal after you tell your existing staff you are transferring. I think they have a maximum of 5? days to put you in.

Ok, thanks. I had never heard or read exactly what the requirement was on that. Hopefully, Buechele's name pops up on there soon in that case.

I have confidence in this staff to figure it out. Bert probably would have taken the first warm body and then have a top guy wanting to come here with no scholarship to give..

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2019, 11:28:26 pm »

I live in Austin and my boys played and play at Westlake (where Sam E went...my oldest played with him). And my wife is a huge horn fan. So I, unfortunately, am very knowledgeable about texas football.

The word is that he does have the great arm...but he requires a very strong line. When he has the time, he can be solid but the complaint is that he has a tendency to take a bunch of sacks. And he does not do well without a wall in front of him.  Which is one of the reasons they made the switch to Sam last year.

Buechele was obviously very young, so he is no doubt smarter, stronger, better. And I do think heís probably the best transfer option and it sounds like it makes a lot of sense that we would lead for him.

Bring him on!

That sounds like the Shakespeare line about damning with faint praise. I agree though that he's probably our best bet. He didn't have a totally clean pocket on some the deep throws on the tape which Kelley and Storey had to have.

Other than the E. Ill. game, Storey didn't hit many deep throws at all..

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 11:34:22 pm »

Yeah you're right. Probably had nothing to do with the fact that they have the most talented kids in all of college football, including Bama obviously. Oh and that QB who doesn't run is a once and a generation talent. No no you really made me look bad....try again.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 11:37:57 pm »

Just how much have you seen of him as a runner? All of the recruiting experts thought he was a big time duel threat QB prospect. He's got an outstanding arm and a quick release. Throws a great long ball which is a key in CCM offense. Would be an absolute home run for us.

I haven't seen a lot, just some YouTube highlights, so I'm not bullish on my opinion. He very well could be a great runner but I just didn't see that in the highlights I watched. That being said his stats don't lie so I'm probably not far off. I did notice his quick release though and that's legit.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2019, 11:40:07 pm »

100% agreed. He is every bit the runner Ty is and probably more but Ty isn't a good runner either so that's not saying much.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 11:48:36 pm »

Why does everyone think we have too have a running back playing qb... Watson at clemson was a passer who could run Lawrence is a passer .. kid at SMU passer

It may be personal preference, as it's just more fun to watch if their more mobile. On the other hand it adds another element to the game plan other defenses have to plan for. The RPO is far more dangerous if the QB can pull it and take off.

As the past QBs are concerned when Watson beat Bama it wasn't because he just sat back and picked them apart, it was because he kept them off balance with his legs. At SMU Morris didn't have a lot to work with so he just used what he had which unfortunately for him wasn't a mobile QB. Lawrence is just a once in a generation type guy so he shouldn't be considered in the discussion.

31to6

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 12:01:37 am »

Dilly Dilly! Would love to skull drag Mizzou with Buechele at the helm.
We may or may not beat Mizzou.

But Kelly Bryant is a downgrade from Drew Lock.

Donít get me wrong, I thought KB was a great option for us, but Drew is a legit NFL caliber QB.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2019, 12:37:09 am »

We may or may not beat Mizzou.

But Kelly Bryant is a downgrade from Drew Lock.

Donít get me wrong, I thought KB was a great option for us, but Drew is a legit NFL caliber QB.
facts is facts. i dont think KB fits their system fwtw, either.

What's Shakin' Macon

• My English Mastiff and #1 Hog fan, Maizy
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2019, 01:07:00 am »

Does anyone else remember watching his dad play baseball? Solid 3B for Pirates, Cubs, and Rangers I think.

Buechele having 2 years of eligibility should end all doubt that he is the best guy for us.

Do we have to wait until he graduates to hear something definite?

Billy676

• Band Nerd
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:03 am »

Does anyone else remember watching his dad play baseball? Solid 3B for Pirates, Cubs, and Rangers I think.

Buechele having 2 years of eligibility should end all doubt that he is the best guy for us.

Do we have to wait until he graduates to hear something definite?

Yep.  His dad played 3rd bade for the rangers when I was in high school.  Has still a coach for the rangers.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 01:32:42 am »

Are we afraid of letting a freshmen compete for the starting job and rather take a chance with a transfer?

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:33 am »

Would be great to get a name QB but after not getting Bryant despite the "great relationship" we always heard he had with Morris figure the best we will end up with will be the guy from SMU.

Your avatar fits your personality well. You should read more and post less, or posat drnuk leik me...

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2019, 02:00:15 am »

Are we afraid of letting a freshmen compete for the starting job and rather take a chance with a transfer?

Of course and we should be. If Morris has another disaster of a year then we could have real problems. I believe in what Morris is building so I want him (and us) to have as much success as soon as possible.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 02:22:11 am »

facts is facts. i dont think KB fits their system fwtw, either.

KB was sold on "We run the same Offense the Cowboys run and will make you the next Dak Prescott."

Tick Hog

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2019, 03:02:21 am »

KB was sold on "We run the same Offense the Cowboys run and will make you the next Dak Prescott."
When in reality itís more like the Patriots and ya better be able to spin it. However now that they got him it wonít be hard to change it up to fit his style. He didnít want to be here so thatís that.

searkhogfan

• Senior
  • TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS, OH MY !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2019, 06:03:25 am »

If we had a better offensive line & he was a midterm graduate I could see it.  But we donít & He isnít.  Itís hard for a frosh to come in in the fall & be a starter

King Kong

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2019, 06:46:59 am »

Of course and we should be. If Morris has another disaster of a year then we could have real problems. I believe in what Morris is building so I want him (and us) to have as much success as soon as possible.

Yep, there has to be significant improvement or recruiting and his job security will suffer.

We can not afford for Morris to fail and I donít want him too. But going 4-8 next year wonít be enough

The Hawgman

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2019, 07:12:29 am »

No but it was BAMAs. Clemson OLine kept their QB clean and their WR made ridiculous catches so he did not have to be able to run.
I donít know even with the new guys if our OLine can do that.

MissippHog

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2019, 07:44:24 am »

So an Aggie coach and a  ::hornsdown:: QB?  And you guys are ok with that?  I don't know what y'all did to my Hogville but I want it switched back, immediately!  >:(

Athog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:40 am »

Would be great to get a name QB but after not getting Bryant despite the "great relationship" we always heard he had with Morris figure the best we will end up with will be the guy from SMU.

Yeah because Morris has not recruited well!  Sarcasm off!

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2019, 07:59:55 am »

love the 50/50 balls he throws in highlights. Even if he doesn't win starting job, he can teach our crop of big WRs how to play those this summer

hawgtime

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2019, 08:17:53 am »

I agree. I don't see Morris's offense needed a pure runner.  Just the threat of occasionally the QB pulling back the ball and running.  maybe 2 times per game, the RBs get the rest of the runs. 

The Hawgman

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2019, 08:40:52 am »

I agree. I don't see Morris's offense needed a pure runner.  Just the threat of occasionally the QB pulling back the ball and running.  maybe 2 times per game, the RBs get the rest of the runs.
He does not need to be a pure runner but he has to have some capability
We run a lot of one back sets and without the threat of the QB counter off of the fake to the running back the defense will overplay the running back and he will not be effective enough to make the offense successful against a good defense ( see Bama vs Clemson)
And see our offense last year get some big plays but no consistent offense to score.
It is what this team will require with the talent we have on campus and coming in. He must be able to run on plays designed for a qb run.
At this point we are not Clemson.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2019, 08:46:55 am »

A runner would be great but honestly we just need a QB who can stretch the field so teams can't just stack the box. 

The Hawgman

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:29 am »

A runner would be great but honestly we just need a QB who can stretch the field so teams can't just stack the box.
I do agree that is most important
As long as he can run for 5 to 10 yards and learn to protect himself (canít be a hero must slide) it will work.
But long term the KJ model will be what we are looking for at least until we get caught up with Clemson in talent.

31to6

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2019, 09:11:28 am »

Yes, but it's not just stacking the box. You have to have the ability to make intermediate and deep passes or they can stack the box *and* set their coverage close to LOS and take away the short underneath passes and with them the sweeps and the outside run. This offense has to spread the defense both horizontally *and* vertically to create the ability for playmaking WRs to catch the ball in space.

Hogdomer

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:34 am »

Nope, you can be put into the portal after you tell your existing staff you are transferring. I think they have a maximum of 5? days to put you in.

They have 2 days to put the name in the portal.

AirWarren

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:45 am »

Thatís what Iím saying. We need a QB. FIELD GENERAL. ONE THAT CAN MAKE HIS DANG reads immediately and get the ball down the field and move the offense.

Not have happy feet and end up on his back.

PorkBilly

• Varsity
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2019, 09:43:50 am »

It was asked earlier, I think, but is there a consensus here (besides the odds maker) who believe we get Shane due to the fact Storey has entered the portal. Is that that belief here? Do we have any inside info or do I have to wait for the next Enqirer at Kroger?

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46:34 am »

Dilly Dilly! Would love to skull drag Mizzou with Buechele at the helm.

Any win would be great, even if it's not quite a skull drag.  Don't see it next year.

PorkBilly

• Varsity
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2019, 09:50:48 am »

Thatís what Iím saying. We need a QB. FIELD GENERAL. ONE THAT CAN MAKE HIS DANG reads immediately and get the ball down the field and move the offense.

Not have happy feet and end up on his back.

You just described Mr KJ Jefferson. One or two inches shorter than Trevor Lawerence. No, no, I am only comparing physical, his field presence, his ability to look off DB 's, and his ability to spin it. He hasn't won a game in the SEC yet....I know.

Jahog2020

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2019, 10:23:42 am »

I think we would have gotten KB if we had upgraded our OLine already. It hadn't happened at the time, as far as I can remember.

Jahog2020

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2019, 10:26:17 am »

I'm quite sure every QB on the roster is in the competition!

AirWarren

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2019, 10:34:45 am »

Been on the KJ Jefferson bamdwagon for a while now. More so than pipe dream grad transfers.

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2019, 10:56:31 am »

Been on the KJ Jefferson bamdwagon for a while now. More so than pipe dream grad transfers.

Not nearly dark enough... I came in here certain that you'd have made some kind of stance against all of our QB's and making fun of the OC for running off the two most experienced QB's we have While also making the claim that Any transfer would be a fool to even look our way.
 I'm sorry I railed against you the other day. You're much more entertaining as the villain...  ;)

AirWarren

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:32 am »

Not nearly dark enough... I came in here certain that you'd have made some kind of stance against all of our QB's and making fun of the OC for running off the two most experienced QB's we have While also making the claim that Any transfer would be a fool to even look our way.
 I'm sorry I railed against you the other day. You're much more entertaining as the villain...  ;)

Dude. If anyone seriously is butthurt over Storey and ďsteamboatĒ parting ways with the program....I truly feel sorry for them.

I would take the kid from SMU or this kid from Texas any day as a grad transfer. At least the smu kid can get the ball to Wrís and has good pass placement in regard to where the receivers are the only ones that can get it. 

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2019, 11:05:57 am »

LOL what a post. Think about what you just typed.

tbhogfan

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2019, 11:06:31 am »

I think that a better way of putting it is that they would prefer to have the option of redshirting a freshman QB, instead of throwing him out against SEC Defenses with no Spring Football and extremely limited reps in our offense. 

Much better to have an experienced Power 5 QB in the mix.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:17 am »

I think that a better way of putting it is that they would prefer to have the option of redshirting a freshman QB, instead of throwing him out against SEC Defenses with no Spring Football and extremely limited reps in our offense. 

Much better to have an experienced Power 5 QB in the mix.

Yep, if he is the absolute best option sure start him, but much better for long term success to be able to redshirt, and get him ready physically and mentally for the rigors of being an SEC starting QB.  Can ruin a good QB by throwing him out there too soon.  I really like the fact that SB has 2 years.  Can start him in 2019 with CN as the backup and KJ redshirting.  2020 you've got a 5th year SR starter in Buechele, CN can still be the backup and can have designed packages for KJ.  2021 CN is in pro ball and KJ is ready to tear it up for 3 years.

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2019, 11:36:17 am »

dude completes 62 percent of his passes, but also throws A LOT of interceptions
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas