• 10,059,646 Posts
• 402,691 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trend I noticed with kids that have transferred from here  (Read 910 times)

MakingPlays

Trend I noticed with kids that have transferred from here
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:26 am »

Looking back, at what I would say is our last 3 most unexpected transfers, that most felt would develop into good players (Whitt, Hall, and Phillips), they all have something in common. If you look at the high school programs/AAU programs they played for, these guys didn't really have any competition for the spotlight at their high school, and the AAU programs they played for were lesser tier programs that they were by far the best player.

Jordan Phillips - In high school played for Grace Prep, we've all seen his highlights there, looking at his teammates he was probably the tallest person by 4 or 5 inches.  Then the AAU program he played for was fairly unknown in Dallas Showtyme they don't play on a major circuit.  He played PG for them and averaged like 25 PPG.  There's absolutely no competition for the spotlight.

Darious Hall - Played for Mills High school, now Darious did play with another D1 player (forgot the kids name), but Darious was by far the main attraction there.  Then his final AAU season instead of rejoining team Penny he went to play for Memphis Magic on a lesser circuit, and like Phillips he's so much better than his teammates he played PG for them and was able to dominate the ball most of the time.

Jimmy Whitt - Home town hero for Colombia, only D1 caliber player on his team, like the other two guys I mentioned, he's not really challenged by any of his teammates so of course he plays PG for them as well so he can dominate the ball.  Now, Jimmy did play for KC Run GMC, which does play on the under armor circuit, however at the time I remember watching them, very little competition among his teammates for the spotlight, he dominated the ball most of the time.

So, what I'm noticing is when we get guys that really haven't played alongside other high major players and never really had to share the ball, when they get in college they are quick to leave if things don't quickly work out for them.  You look at a kid like Keyshawn Embery-Simpson for example, he came off a major injury in high school and was injured for most of the off-season, however he's a kid that played at IMG with other high major kids, so he was accustomed to competing.  Gabe is another, played at SCA with a bunch of other D1 players, didn't pout after not playing much his freshman year, just kept practicing and came back better this year.

If I was the staff, I'd seriously look twice at these kids that go play for crappy AAU programs so they can be the star and kids that avoid playing with other high major players.  Those type of kids seem like a high risk to transfer out if they don't play big minutes immediately.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
Re: Trend I noticed with kids that have transferred from here
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:09 am »

I'd add Babb to your list as well.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MakingPlays

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:25:29 am »

I'd add Babb to your list as well.

I thought about that, but Babb did play with another high major player in AAU that was actually higher rated than him.  I forgot the kid's name, but I remember at the time we were hoping for a package deal.  So, I really can't put him in that category of a guy that was always use to having the spotlight and avoiding playing with other good players.

With Babb, I honestly still think he was misused.  Unlike the guys I mentioned above Babb didn't really have that selfish mindset, when he did get to play he came in with defense first on his mind and he did good things, CMA literally use to brag on him almost every time he got in the game at all the things he "fixed" defensively and how well he played and always promised more minutes but they never came.  Which confused me, because guys like that always play a good amount of minutes for CMA.  For some reason I guess he felt Manny Watkins brought more at the time, and we were a pretty deep team that year.

Also, another thing people don't talk about with Babb, and what I think was the biggest reason for his transfer, I think he wanted to be at Iowa State all along they just didn't have room for him at the time he committed to us.  You have to remember Iowa St was his big brother's Alma mater and developed him very well and turned him into an NBA player.  So, I think his lack of PT combined with Iowa State having an opening, it was a no brainer for him.  But, had he stayed he would have started and played a ton of minutes that following year.

phadedhawg

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:36:42 pm »

It's an interesting theory....makes sense. 

Hawg Red

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 02:28:00 pm »

Not sure Iíd classify Phillips as an unexpected transfer. Iíve seen multiple poster theorize his departure since before the season even began, and it wasnít a stretch to see where they were coming from.

But I get it. Any transfer after a semester is eye-opening. Donít think anyone expects to lose a player that quickly.

Hawg Red

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 02:28:56 pm »

Looking back, at what I would say is our last 3 most unexpected transfers, that most felt would develop into good players (Whitt, Hall, and Phillips), they all have something in common. If you look at the high school programs/AAU programs they played for, these guys didn't really have any competition for the spotlight at their high school, and the AAU programs they played for were lesser tier programs that they were by far the best player.

Jordan Phillips - In high school played for Grace Prep, we've all seen his highlights there, looking at his teammates he was probably the tallest person by 4 or 5 inches.  Then the AAU program he played for was fairly unknown in Dallas Showtyme they don't play on a major circuit.  He played PG for them and averaged like 25 PPG.  There's absolutely no competition for the spotlight.

Darious Hall - Played for Mills High school, now Darious did play with another D1 player (forgot the kids name), but Darious was by far the main attraction there.  Then his final AAU season instead of rejoining team Penny he went to play for Memphis Magic on a lesser circuit, and like Phillips he's so much better than his teammates he played PG for them and was able to dominate the ball most of the time.

Jimmy Whitt - Home town hero for Colombia, only D1 caliber player on his team, like the other two guys I mentioned, he's not really challenged by any of his teammates so of course he plays PG for them as well so he can dominate the ball.  Now, Jimmy did play for KC Run GMC, which does play on the under armor circuit, however at the time I remember watching them, very little competition among his teammates for the spotlight, he dominated the ball most of the time.

So, what I'm noticing is when we get guys that really haven't played alongside other high major players and never really had to share the ball, when they get in college they are quick to leave if things don't quickly work out for them.  You look at a kid like Keyshawn Embery-Simpson for example, he came off a major injury in high school and was injured for most of the off-season, however he's a kid that played at IMG with other high major kids, so he was accustomed to competing.  Gabe is another, played at SCA with a bunch of other D1 players, didn't pout after not playing much his freshman year, just kept practicing and came back better this year.

If I was the staff, I'd seriously look twice at these kids that go play for crappy AAU programs so they can be the star and kids that avoid playing with other high major players.  Those type of kids seem like a high risk to transfer out if they don't play big minutes immediately.

Solid theory.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 02:50:47 pm »

I think Babb was just wanting for a spot at Iowa State to open up  The only way he was staying was if he was a starter.

MakingPlays

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:14:51 pm »

Not sure Iíd classify Phillips as an unexpected transfer. Iíve seen multiple poster theorize his departure since before the season even began, and it wasnít a stretch to see where they were coming from.

But I get it. Any transfer after a semester is eye-opening. Donít think anyone expects to lose a player that quickly.

Yea, him leaving this early was unexpected, we've never had a guy under CMA leave at semester, I thought Phillips would eventually be a solid contributor this year had he stayed and was 100% his playing time was starting to increase.

Also, another thing that kinda adds to my theory that these guys don't really want to compete is they end up at mid-major or lesser programs that they know they will play a ton of minutes at.  Whitt going to SMU after the whole Larry Brown debacle and Hall going to Depaul when they've been terrible and their coach is on the hot seat.  Be interesting to see where Phillips ends up at. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas