• 10,059,692 Posts
• 402,691 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: college vs pro coaches  (Read 1016 times)

husker71

college vs pro coaches
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:18:45 pm »

When I see that Kingsbury is now the coach of the Cardinals I am wondering if being an offensive genius (??) in college has ever been more important in getting a job in the NFL.  I am guessing that he felt a few weeks ago he could not get another good college head coaching job and thus accepted the OC job at USCW.  Now he is a head coach in the NFL.  They know he coached in the Big 12 dont they??

#1 STUNNA

Re: college vs pro coaches
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:49:27 pm »

The NFL is changing... if you cant score the football you cant win.... Hes known to be able to put points on the scorebard.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldman1015

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:00:49 pm »

The NFL is changing... if you cant score the football you cant win.... Hes known to be able to put points on the scorebard.
Changing more every year.

sickboy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 05:19:16 pm »

Itís the Sean McVay/Kyle Shannahan effect. Everyone is looking for the young offensive genius. Problem with Kliff and why I donít think heís McVay or Shannahan is he didnít win at Tech. Even with Patrick Mahomes. Hell, he probably got the Cardinals job because he found Mahomes.

But interesting to note that the NFC West has the three youngest coaches in the NFL now and the oldest coach. Pete Carroll has to be looking around the west feeling really old.

TexHog188

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:57 pm »

It surprises me that given the shift in the NFL mindset towards uptempo / spread em out offenses that Mike Leech has not moved to the NFL.  Washington State had a great season but is he really happy in Pullman Washington?  Kingsbury now has Josh Rosen as his QB.  Will be interesting to see if he can develop Rosen or if the egos clash.  Interesting choice by Arizona.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:13:18 am »

Itís the Sean McVay/Kyle Shannahan effect. Everyone is looking for the young offensive genius. Problem with Kliff and why I donít think heís McVay or Shannahan is he didnít win at Tech. Even with Patrick Mahomes. Hell, he probably got the Cardinals job because he found Mahomes.

But interesting to note that the NFC West has the three youngest coaches in the NFL now and the oldest coach. Pete Carroll has to be looking around the west feeling really old.

He's the oldest coach in the NFL, so, yes, he probably does feel really old.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 11:36:40 am »

He was hired for two reasons, Josh Rosen and Larry Fitzgerald.

Tsarcasm

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:50 am »

He got the job, because Nobody else would take it. There are many NFL coaches, OC's, and DC's who would not even interview for the job.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 04:15:19 pm »

He got the job, because Nobody else would take it. There are many NFL coaches, OC's, and DC's who would not even interview for the job.

Iíve also read that. There must be some strange ownership or management guestions in the Valley.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 04:25:13 pm »

And the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. 70M in cap space. If i was guessing they will go after a lot of offensive help this of fseason.

LZH

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 04:28:43 pm »

Changing more every year.

Kenny Spence would still be kicking ass.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:35 am »

I always find that surprising. I mean, he looks like he could be Bellichek's son. He probably has more energy than some of the incoming rookies. The guy is getting old in age, but his body and his mind are still quite young.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 06:55:52 am »

When I see that Kingsbury is now the coach of the Cardinals I am wondering if being an offensive genius (??) in college has ever been more important in getting a job in the NFL.  I am guessing that he felt a few weeks ago he could not get another good college head coaching job and thus accepted the OC job at USCW.  Now he is a head coach in the NFL.  They know he coached in the Big 12 dont they??

He'll have more talent at this disposal in the NFL than he ever did at TT. That said, would I hire a guy who just canned from his college HC'ing job? Probably not.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:12 am »

Its the Kansas City chiefs mold.... all offense no defense...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 09:58:49 am »

rumors around that the Cardinals will look really hard at Kyler Murray and possibly shop Josh Rosen.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 11:39:41 am »

It was unbelievable how high the scores were in the wildcard games right? All up and down the field all the time right? No wait never mind.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:48 am »

He'll have more talent at this disposal in the NFL than he ever did at TT. That said, would I hire a guy who just canned from his college HC'ing job? Probably not.

Sure heíll have more talent available to him.....unfortunately for him so will his opposing coaches. I think itís a risky hire. Itís also being reported some others turned down interviews or said no thanks but are considering other places. Things must not be all that great in AZ in the organization.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:05 am »

It was unbelievable how high the scores were in the wildcard games right? All up and down the field all the time right? No wait never mind.
6 of the 8 teams left in the playoffs were all top 6 in the NFL in scoring. Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Patriots, Colts, Chargers.

lakecityhog

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 06:49:25 pm »

Kyler Murray has already accepted a 4 MILLION dollar bonus and IS a baseball player.

HiggiePiggy

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 07:20:25 pm »

Question.  Will he be there 3 years from now.  I say he is fired in 2.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 08:46:44 pm »

100% correct.  The NFL is a copycat league and they are all looking for another McVay.  It's amazing that a guy who got fired at Texas Tech can get a head coaching job in the NFL.  I can see hiring him as a coordinator but a HC?  I'm sure his Ryan Gosling looks don't hurt either and the season tickets sell better and team calendar sales will be high.  The Cardinals really have no tradition in AZ and many times their games have more opposing fans than home fans, especially if they're playing Dallas.  I think marketing KK is a huge part of this hire. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 08:36:02 am »

Kyler Murray has already accepted a 4 MILLION dollar bonus and IS a baseball player.
doesnt matter. Just has to return the signing bonus.

HiggiePiggy

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 11:51:09 am »

Or play both sports.

Hogmatic

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 12:16:10 pm »

I don't like pro sports

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 01:05:42 pm »

I don't like pro sports

Any reason why not?

I used to not like pro football. Different atmosphere than a college game. Seemingly less passion.

However, as far as the actual sport goes, it is way better. Essentially, HS football is the equivalent of tic tac toe, college football is checkers, and the NFL is chess. The playcalling and schemes in the NFL are a whole other level compared to college. The athleticism of the players and what they can do is a whole other level.

It is somewhat analogous to WW1 vs WW2. You transitioned form marching in formation, wearing brightly colored uniforms, no helmets, and having pilots shoot at other planes with revolvers, basically ending in confused trench warfare. Fast forward to WW2 and everybody knew what they were doing and were very efficient at doing it.

All that to say, there's nothing wrong with not liking professional sports, I'm just curious why you don't like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas