• 10,057,079 Posts
• 402,613 Topics
• 23,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST IN: Freshman Jordan Phillips will transfer from Arkansas.  (Read 6470 times)

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
Re: JUST IN: Freshman Jordan Phillips will transfer from Arkansas.
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2019, 05:25:21 pm »

MA's system is designed on players developing and contributing as upperclassmen. Have to stop losing so many players early.

razorback1829

Re: Jordan Phillips
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2019, 05:26:04 pm »

This kid is a stud! He really struggled to make it back to the campus after the break. He will be missed! This is at the feet of Mike Anderson. He continues to play upperclassmen no matter what. Beard last year and Bailey this year. It's a shame not to play the best player. These kids see Bailey missing lay ups.

I disagree. Jordan was worried he wouldnít be able to beat the guards in front of him. He was coming off 2 surgeries, no offseason and no preseason. He wasnít ready yet, but was playing more and more. Kid and his family didnít get it. Oh well. I like our guards and we will use that open scholly. Kid ultimately didnít have the confidence he could take some minutes.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2019, 05:27:22 pm »

This kid is a stud! He really struggled to make it back to the campus after the break. He will be missed! This is at the feet of Mike Anderson. He continues to play upperclassmen no matter what. Beard last year and Bailey this year. It's a shame not to play the best player. These kids see Bailey missing lay ups.

Lol

MakingPlays

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2019, 05:28:55 pm »

I think me and you talked about this like a week ago in a game thread.  I did say that with how bad Bailey was playing that CMA should give Phillips some extended minutes to see what he could do, and I will say had a freshman being playing as bad as Bailey was he wouldn't be playing.  With that said when Phillips did get opportunities (which CMA was starting to put him in the rotation and play him more) he didn't do anything.  Just like last game when he got in soon as he got the ball he just chunked up a contested 3 pointer that really had no chance. 

I cant' get mad at CMA for trusting players he's seen have good games over the years over a freshman coming off injury that really didn't show anything in any of the minutes he got.  You look at Desi Sills, you give him a few minutes, the kid gets after it on defense and makes you notice him and gives the coach no choice but to play him more.  Phillips got in the game and first thing he would do every time is look for a shot.  In the last 3 games he's played in he's grabbed 0 rebounds.  He's 6'7, get in there and get physical and don't just hang out around the 3 point line waiting to shoot the ball.  You're not going to get minutes from CMA doing that.

RaisinHog

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2019, 05:32:10 pm »

I think me and you talked about this like a week ago in a game thread.  I did say that with how bad Bailey was playing that CMA should give Phillips some extended minutes to see what he could do, and I will say had a freshman being playing as bad as Bailey was he wouldn't be playing.  With that said when Phillips did get opportunities (which CMA was starting to put him in the rotation and play him more) he didn't do anything.  Just like last game when he got in soon as he got the ball he just chunked up a contested 3 pointer that really had no chance. 

I cant' get mad at CMA for trusting players he's seen have good games over the years over a freshman coming off injury that really didn't show anything in any of the minutes he got.  You look at Desi Sills, you give him a few minutes, the kid gets after it on defense and makes you notice him and gives the coach no choice but to play him more.  Phillips got in the game and first thing he would do every time is look for a shot.  In the last 3 games he's played in he's grabbed 0 rebounds.  He's 6'7, get in there and get physical and don't just hang out around the 3 point line waiting to shoot the ball.  You're not going to get minutes from CMA doing that.

Yes , definitely will be better than Bailey definitely is not better at this time. .

Letsroll1200

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2019, 05:33:05 pm »

I disagree. Jordan was worried he wouldnít be able to beat the guards in front of him. He was coming off 2 surgeries, no offseason and no preseason. He wasnít ready yet, but was playing more and more. Kid and his family didnít get it. Oh well. I like our guards and we will use that open scholly. Kid ultimately didnít have the confidence he could take some minutes.

Keep losing long guards like Hall and Phillips. I agree he should've played out tge year but the dude has it. It's tough being away from home, injured and you see guys that aren't working playing before you.

HoGs1031

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2019, 05:34:31 pm »

I'm still confused by Darius Hall leaving.  I really don't blame Mike for this.  Kids are pulling the trigger on transfer way, way too quickly IMO.

Hall's buddies were no longer going to be on the team.. He decided to leave. Moving on.

RaisinHog

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2019, 05:34:37 pm »

MA's system is designed on players developing and contributing as upperclassmen. Have to stop losing so many players early.

This is a basketball problem not an Arkansas problem..

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2019, 05:37:15 pm »

kid could have just been homesick. Happens. As the other poster posted, he did not seem to be very happy.

Yep. Freshman year is tough on everyone. Hell I didnít play sports but went out of state for college to start. Hated it and all my friends were having fun at the U. Said screw this and transferred  up after the fall semester.

It sucks because the kid has potential & a lot of time and money was spent recruiting him but donít see how anyone can blame this on MA. Blame life, being a kid, or the current transfer culture.

razorback1829

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2019, 05:38:32 pm »

Keep losing long guards like Hall and Phillips. I agree he should've played out tge year but the dude has it. It's tough being away from home, injured and you see guys that aren't working playing before you.

You used Bailey as an example, and while I would agree, Bailey and Phillips were playing 2 different positions, so itís not really applicable. Phillips was worried about the guards, who have all had their time to shine this year. If he doesnít think he can beat them out, what is MA supposed to do? Beg him to stay? Kid wasnít even contributing yet.

RaisinHog

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2019, 05:38:48 pm »

Where do you get this stuff ? He showed no hustle and missed a zillion mid range jump shots ..I'm sure he will be a solid player but he showed nothing too indicate any of this stuff you say ..

razorback1829

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2019, 05:39:41 pm »

Itís inevitable in 2019 Division one basketball. This isnít the 90ís.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2019, 05:39:44 pm »

who isnít working out? Bailey had a rough 3 game stretch but atleast he gets in there and produces rebounds and plays good defense, donít see how you can play a guy who just jacks up shots right when he comes in, especially when you are 3-20 and 0-6 on threes.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2019, 05:41:12 pm »

Bailey had a good game against A&M. However, there are times he doesn't run up the floor. Not bashing Bailey but just watch. If I see that and I'm on the bench, I'm going to be frustrated. I spoke with Phillips. I could tell he was struggling during the break. Go Hogs beat the Gators.

RaisinHog

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 05:44:33 pm »

Bailey had a good game against A&M. However, there are times he doesn't run up the floor. Not bashing Bailey but just watch. If I see that and I'm on the bench, I'm going to be frustrated. I spoke with Phillips. I could tell he was struggling during the break. Go Hogs beat the Gators.

I agree but what I'm saying is. . it wasn't like Phillips was out there busting ass and grabbing boards in his limited minutes if he was and wasn't producing I could still see your point ..

Letsroll1200

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2019, 05:45:39 pm »

who isnít working out? Bailey had a rough 3 game stretch but atleast he gets in there and produces rebounds and plays good defense, donít see how you can play a guy who just jacks up shots right when he comes in, especially when you are 3-20 and 0-6 on threes.

Bailey and defense should not be mentioned together. This team need Bailey to come on! Get serious about basketball and put that energy on the floor. This is about Phillips.

imtad16

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2019, 05:47:18 pm »

I agree I would like to have seen more time for Phillips too. I like his size, shooting ability, and athleticism. Just wish he would have given it one full season.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2019, 06:09:11 pm »

Anyone know where he's going?

imtad16

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2019, 06:38:42 pm »

MakingPlays

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 06:55:00 pm »

More like a rough 5 game stretch. 

Oh, I know exactly what you're saying I've been pretty vocal at how bad Bailey has looked and asked why is he still starting.  I really can't argue that a player on the bench looks at how he's been playing and get frustrated that they are riding the bench and he's playing.  That's one of the things I don't agree with CMA on, he gives his upperclassmen a long leash and if you're a freshman, even if you're more talented that leash isn't so long. 

With that said, Phillips still has to perform when he gets the chance, if he feels he's better than Bailey or anyone else, prove it.  The good thing about sports if you're better than someone it's going to show when you go out there.  If Phillips would have focused on defense, grabbed some rebounds, and took good quality shots, he would have played more.  When he got out there all he was worried about was getting up shots before he was taken out.  There's no excuse for being 6'7 and not grab a single rebound in 3 games, even if it was limited action.  And the game where he played the most, 10 minutes, earlier in the season, he only had 1 rebound then.

Hawg Red

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2019, 07:15:49 pm »

So you think it's good to lose players already on the team so we can MAYBE get a player you like better later on?  No, this isn't good.  Just like it wasn't good when Young, Babb, Hall, Bryant etc left.

Well, when you have a banner class for 2020 and only one official spot to offer, no, Iím not sweating a little-used player transferring. We honestly need the spot and if he feels like he needs to move on, well, the numbers just worked themselves out. Best of luck to the young man and hope he finds what heís looking for. He seemed to have some good tools but never seemed close to ready to make full use of them. Wasnít meant to be. Hopefully Mike finds a good big man in the spring and sits on any other spots unless we lose 2 more players to transfer. If Phillips and one other are the only to transfer, Iím good with Anderson sitting on a couple schollies he could make hay with in the fall of 2020. We have a PG coming in and no guards scheduled to leave. Gafford the only frontcourt player we think will leave. This team will have enough depth to sit on a couple spots to have for 2020 where they are in good position with 3-4 really good players. We have a 6í8 walk-on redshirtting this year that could take a bridge scholarship next season as far as Iím concerned.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2019, 07:31:06 pm »

sorry but thatís garbage. Kid was struggling and more PT would have only hurt the team. Ridiculous.

I just sent 9 kids to college for baseball. Of that, 2 are ready to transfer and another already has. They didnít make an informed decision as I had talked to them about and it didnít take long for them to realize it wasnít the right fit. Happens all the time in all sports.

You mustíve had a hell of a baseball team. Hopefully you won a state championship.

Kids are so soft these days. Iím surprised with so many talented high school baseball players on one team you didnít have transfers.

HoopS

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2019, 08:08:59 pm »

You mustíve had a hell of a baseball team. Hopefully you won a state championship.

Kids are so soft these days. Iím surprised with so many talented high school baseball players on one team you didnít have transfers.
tournament team. Yes, very good. They enjoyed playing together.

BentonvilleJeff

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2019, 08:27:35 pm »

Iím in my late forties. Itís my generations fault. We are raising kids that when the going gets tough just quit, instead of when the going gets tough work harder and donít give up.

Was watching a story on Micky Mantle. Donít remember all the details. Things got tough.  Early in his career he quit baseball and drove home to Oklahoma. When he got there his dad put his butt back in the car and drove him back.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2019, 09:11:18 pm »

I was super excited about him. After watching him play, I realized he was never going to be a star. A role player at best, regardless of past injury. He is too slow and canít handle the ball well enough to be a guard

razorback1829

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2019, 09:51:06 pm »

I was super excited about him. After watching him play, I realized he was never going to be a star. A role player at best, regardless of past injury. He is too slow and canít handle the ball well enough to be a guard

I really thought the kid had a chance to be really good. Iím normally not for redshirting, but he wouldíve been a prime candidate. Oh well.

Roadhog82

• Varsity
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2019, 09:57:45 pm »

I too was excited about him at first. After seeing him play I can honestly say if I had to pick a player on the team to leave, it would have been him. I know he was coming off some injuries, but he never showed me anything we will miss. Hopefully Ethan can show him how it's done and work his way into some productive minutes

hawgfan4life

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2019, 10:11:13 pm »

I agree it is at the feet of MA.  He did exactly what a good coach would do with a kid coming off injury and not producing quality results when given minutes.  As JP's production was increasing, his playing time was increasing.  It isn't MA's fault the kid was injured, not prepared to produce as quickly as the kid wanted, and he was playing the best players for that position.  Bailey is struggling no doubt, but JP wasn't putting out equal effort in all other aspects that Bailey is providing.  Anyone complaining about the staff not playing him more are just mind boggling.

raz1965

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2019, 06:47:57 am »

Why judge the kid?  A few years down the road it may turn out that his transfer was a blessing to the kid. All programs are different an kids are wired different, just assume it best for both party's an wish the kid luck.

HoopS

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2019, 07:53:18 am »

Semester is about to start back. I think it is also fair to wonder how things went academically. Not accusing him of bombing but just noting the timing.  Not sure if he could have been allowed to play up until a certain point if so.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2019, 08:15:22 am »

He looked like a thoroughbred but did not do anything to warrant more minutes... to me it's good that we know now, and I think it means Javon gets his spot.. they both would have 3 years to play next year, so it would seem we made a swap from one who doesn't want to be here to one that does..

The Hogfather

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2019, 08:24:02 am »

This might be right as well.  It doesn't really make sense otherwise.

Semester is about to start back. I think it is also fair to wonder how things went academically. Not accusing him of bombing but just noting the timing.  Not sure if he could have been allowed to play up until a certain point if so.

razorback1829

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2019, 08:30:14 am »

Nothing academic. Simply playing time.

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2019, 08:32:57 am »

Time will tell. If he's so good, he should land at a big power 5 school, then.

No real way to tell his potential. He didn't really play at a high level AAU or high school so it's hard to say that he's a "stud."

Little Lady Back

• Senior
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2019, 08:42:00 am »

I hate that Jordan is transferring but wish him the best.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:14 am »

I hate that Jordan is transferring but wish him the best.

He was going to have a hard time cracking the Top 10 next year as well. Probably just saw the writing on the wall and made the best move for his future. Best wishes to him.

The Hogfather

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:44 am »

He was going to have a hard time cracking the Top 10 next year as well. Probably just saw the writing on the wall and made the best move for his future. Best wishes to him.

I don't know how anyone can tell at this point.  I know he has struggled so far, but he was coming back from injury and getting back in shape.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2019, 09:07:24 am »

I don't know how anyone can tell at this point.  I know he has struggled so far, but he was coming back from injury and getting back in shape.

Harris / Hill
Joe / Sills
Jones / Embery

Sills and Embery were already ahead of him. I'm sure Mike would have no issues next year going with 3 guards off the bench, especially with the defensive ability of these 3. Hill comes in and provides a perfect backup to Harris, especially with getting a half season of practice and observation in beforehand. Where was Phillips going to slot in?

razorback1829

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2019, 09:37:51 am »

Harris / Hill
Joe / Sills
Jones / Embery

Sills and Embery were already ahead of him. I'm sure Mike would have no issues next year going with 3 guards off the bench, especially with the defensive ability of these 3. Hill comes in and provides a perfect backup to Harris, especially with getting a half season of practice and observation in beforehand. Where was Phillips going to slot in?

Youíre right on the pulse of the issue. Canít keep them all unfortunately. Really wished he wouldíve stayed. Wouldíve found mins due to his size and ball handling ability. But him and his camp saw different. We have a good group of guards that could develop into a hell of a unit. Still expect at least one more transfer. Just where we are at in 2019 college basketball.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2019, 09:57:32 am »

Youíre right on the pulse of the issue. Canít keep them all unfortunately. Really wished he wouldíve stayed. Wouldíve found mins due to his size and ball handling ability. But him and his camp saw different. We have a good group of guards that could develop into a hell of a unit. Still expect at least one more transfer. Just where we are at in 2019 college basketball.
wasnít a good ball handler. Iíve never seen him get to the rim.

The Hogfather

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2019, 10:02:29 am »

wasnít a good ball handler. Iíve never seen him get to the rim.

Yeah, I'm still not sure how anything could be classified as a "known" for Phillips at this point.  Saying that we have some good guards and he'd never get time in the future is also a little ridiculous at this point.  Him leaving because of playing time is the most ridiculous under the current circumstances.

Phillips is not just a guard.  He had a chance to be a legit SF for us who has the potential to be a threat inside and out.  He isn't there yet, though.

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2019, 10:30:59 am »

I hope we're recruiting the hell out of 2020.  We'll probably have 5+ spots to fill if we don't bring anybody else in the 2019 class. 

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2019, 10:39:02 am »

Yea, all the transfers are a pattern, and kinda disturbing.
Whitt was the biggest head-scratcher, as was Darious Hall. Both guys were playing quite a bit.
The common theory at the time was the coach's son(Manny Watkins) was getting too many minutes(at the expense of some of those guys)
Can't say Babb and Phillips will be missed too much.

I really liked Hall's game, though. He is missed. Whitt was a nice player, too.

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2019, 10:40:59 am »

Whitt was the biggest head-scratcher, as was Darious Hall. Both guys were playing quite a bit.
The common theory at the time was the coach's son(Manny Watkins) was getting too many minutes(at the expense of some of those guys)

Watkins helped us win a lot of games.  Tough kid. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:02 am »

I've sen ridiculous and I've seen super ridiculous. "I will lay this at the feet of Mike Anderson" I guess I will even agree with that if it becomes common knowledge that Mike Anderson requested that he hit the bricks. But, how on earth you go to finding the one guy that has really struggled lately (regardless of position) and made that the guy Phillips should have been playing over, just to play a guy that is not ready to contribute is beyond me. Take the guy that plays the 4 and is struggling at 48% shooting out and replace him with the softest guard you have that is shooting .150. Bailey hasn't played great of late but he does give you some good with the bad. Phillips somehow managed to still make an appearance in the SEC opener on the road despite how much he has struggled.

Most everyone on here agrees Chaney needs more playing time, he's shooting 56%, is our second best interior rebounder, 2nd leading shot blocker......yet we should sacrifice some of his minutes for a guard that is not ready to play. Hell no!!! The problem with that post is the author cannot in any way make a case for Harris, Joe, Jones, Sills or KES getting less minutes so he just skips down to the 4 and plugs the guy in for more minutes. Ridiculous!!!

I hate to see any kid go. Don't know what his problem was but it was quite obvious CMA was going to keep trying to find a place to play a 6"7" SF/G as long as he practiced hard and improved. All I have to do is look at the difference in energy level between JP vs Sills and KES and it isn't in the same universe. KES can get out of control and under my skin at times but you can tell he has heart and desire. Sills is fricking non stop/all day. This is a player that, if not told to leave made a soft, soft decision. Which looks very possible from his demeanor. Wish him well at his next stop. Wish him well at life. But please, stop the Mike Anderson crap. If you want to fault him for recruiting JP that is fair. I saw the potential and was very intrigued, can't blame CMA for bringing that on board. It looks like a kid went home on break, someone told him he should be averaging 16 pts a game and he believed it.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2019, 11:09:35 am »

Babb is having a good senior season at Iowa St.   12pts 4 assists and 4 steals in their win over KU. 

Whitt is getting 33mpg for the second straight season.

MakingPlays

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2019, 11:10:32 am »

Why in the hell would Harris do that?

He wouldn't I have no idea what that guy is talking about.  Harris has a very bright future with the razorbacks and is going to have an opportunity to break some assist records, on top of that he's been very vocal at how much he loves it here and how he loves how much the coaching staff trusts him.  How someone would translate that into him likely transferring to a 3rd school is beyond me.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2019, 11:22:02 am »

Babb is having a good senior season at Iowa St.   12pts 4 assists and 4 steals in their win over KU. 

Whitt is getting 33mpg for the second straight season.

For anyone that thought Babb was some huge mistake on Mike's part, I will point to the fact Babb has been at Iowa St and is in his 4th season there. He is their 5th leading scorer, rebounds well for a guard and has turned into an efficient combo guard. As a 5th year guard he is:

9.5 points per game    4.5 rebounds    4.0 assists

Does anybody really believe he developed more at Iowa State than he would have under Mike???

k.c.hawg

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:16 am »

Looking to argue obviously.   ::)

No, not at all. I live in Big 12 territory and watch most of his games. He's been a fine player and I wish he had stayed. But I think he might have very well been a better player under Mike.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2019, 11:35:23 am »

For anyone that thought Babb was some huge mistake on Mike's part, I will point to the fact Babb has been at Iowa St and is in his 4th season there. He is their 5th leading scorer, rebounds well for a guard and has turned into an efficient combo guard. As a 5th year guard he is:

9.5 points per game    4.5 rebounds    4.0 assists

Does anybody really believe he developed more at Iowa State than he would have under Mike???

Due to minute distribution, one of the best ways to determine a players quality and production under Mike Anderson is to look at their per 40 min averages. Look at Babb and Whitt in particular, then look at how their careers progressed. The numbers line up. They would have developed into solid players.

To compare other 4 year players, look at Antom Beard, Moses Kingsley, and Ky Madden's per 40 production (heck, even Trey Thompson). I use sports-reference.com. It all lines up.

So when I look at players getting less minutes on this team, like Sills, Embery, and Chaney, I look at their per 40 and it shows you what type of player they will eventually be for us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas