• 10,116,266 Posts
• 404,152 Topics
• 23,079 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Clemson Now Represent - -  (Read 1248 times)

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Does Clemson Now Represent - -
« on: January 08, 2019, 03:44:11 pm »

- - The Gold Standard for semi-permanent College Football Pinnacle status, supplanting Alabama for the foreseeable future -  in the minds of college football fans everywhere, - - - and NOT for just a single season?

Will a "New World Order" of college football be shortly manifested, substantially changing and realigning the prestige and PR pecking order of the traditional major college front-runners?

Do you think that Arkansas stands any viable chance of breaking into the upper echelon ranks of the college football notably-prosperous programs within the next 2 or 3 years?

Does anyone feel sympathy for Alabama"s 44-16 shellacking at the hands of Clemson last night, - - notwithstanding the inescapable fact that the embarrassing debacle (from Alabama's perspective) was not a feather in the cap of the SEC?

texas tush hog

Re: Does Clemson Now Represent - -
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:49:53 pm »

- - The Gold Standard for semi-permanent College Football Pinnacle status, supplanting Alabama for the foreseeable future -  in the minds of college football fans everywhere, - - - and NOT for just a single season?

Will a "New World Order" of college football be shortly manifested, substantially changing and realigning the prestige and PR pecking order of the traditional major college front-runners?

Do you think that Arkansas stands any viable chance of breaking into the upper echelon ranks of the college football notably-prosperous programs within the next 2 or 3 years?

Does anyone feel sympathy for Alabama"s 44-16 shellacking at the hands of Clemson last night, - - notwithstanding the inescapable fact that the embarrassing debacle (from Alabama's perspective) was not a feather in the cap of the SEC?

It depends on what Brent Venebles does.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:52:45 pm »

maybe if they win 6 in a 10 year span... People act like Bama is going somewhere lol... They are one of the preseason favorites for next year again..lol

Superhog1959

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:00:58 pm »

Yes (already have)
No
No and No

cpohog

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:43:02 pm »

Saban turns 68 this year. Dabo is not 50 yet. Dabo has put himself into position to take over once Saban retires. That is if he hasn't already taken over.

lasthog

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:49:16 pm »

Saban turns 68 this year. Dabo is not 50 yet. Dabo has put himself into position to take over once Saban retires. That is if he hasn't already taken over.

One thing stuck out to me last night was how much Alabama's offense looked a lot like it did five years ago, not the new version we have been seeing.

Maybe he was just trying to keep Clemson's offense off the field, or maybe I am just incorrect.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 05:53:14 pm »

They're 2-2 against each other over the last four years in the national title game.

In what world is that one "supplanting" the other? Is going .500 against a team you've played four years in a row in the championship game grounds for "supplanting?"

Not sure how 2-2 over the last 4 years predicts one supplanting the other in the future.

Tommy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 05:58:47 pm »

I feel sorry for bammer

rhames

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 06:05:28 pm »

They've been the gold standard and will be for the next few years.  So will Alabama. Nothing really has changed.

Has zero impact on Arkansas.

Pigsknuckles

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • When you least expect it...
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 06:10:09 pm »

Who the heck was Clemson 10 years ago? Who the heck are they now? What the heck has changed?
Inquiring minds want to know.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 06:12:02 pm »

Clemson senior players in the trenches are not getting enough recognition.  Didnít they have like 4 seniors on the Dline and 3 Oline?   

Melancholy_Pigg

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:27:09 pm »

Bama played a much tougher schedule than Clemson.   I think they were played out.   Bama played the tough games to get to the NC.  Clemson played A&M, Syracuse and Notre Shame (who for the honor of the game should voluntarily retract itself from any major bowls or CFP slots for a couple of seasons).

Clemson won't get the media love long-term like Bama because of the SEC influence via ESPN. 

Not the gold standard.  At least not long term.  A&M will probably whup 'em next season when they play.

Btw - if you are bored go check out some of the South Carolina message boards.  It is a hoot.  Never seen a fan base wanting to withdraw from their rivalry game voluntarily. 

Swinelake

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 10:42:49 pm »

One thing stuck out to me last night was how much Alabama's offense looked a lot like it did five years ago, not the new version we have been seeing.

Maybe he was just trying to keep Clemson's offense off the field, or maybe I am just incorrect.

Clemson couldn't stop the run. Passing was a liability for Alabama all game.

I think Tua is just overrated.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 12:29:20 am »

Tua is gifted physically and throws a great deep ball, but he still has a lot of growing between the ears to do.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 12:33:44 am »

Who the heck was Clemson 10 years ago? Who the heck are they now? What the heck has changed?
Inquiring minds want to know.

They got themselves a unknown coach and allowed  him to build a program. Weird...

jkstock04

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 01:28:13 am »

They're 2-2 against each other over the last four years in the national title game.

In what world is that one "supplanting" the other? Is going .500 against a team you've played four years in a row in the championship game grounds for "supplanting?"

Not sure how 2-2 over the last 4 years predicts one supplanting the other in the future.
That type of beat down does make it look like a little bit of a crack in the Bama "dominance" armour. Complete mismatch. A close game/loss I would agree more so with what you are saying.

But they made Bama look like a cupcake team. And I don't think it was a fluke. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the beginning of the end of the "dynasty" stuff. I could see that argument OP is making there.

As to the Hogs being in that upper echelon position in 2-3 years? Lol you would have to be smoking crack to believe that. Feeling sorry for Bama? Lol that doesn't even deserve an answer...dumb question.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 12-2 Vegas Bowl Champions!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 02:42:32 am »

stopped it pretty well at the goal line, several times.  it was glorious

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 12-2 Vegas Bowl Champions!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 02:43:24 am »

That type of beat down does make it look like a little bit of a crack in the Bama "dominance" armour. Complete mismatch. A close game/loss I would agree more so with what you are saying.

But they made Bama look like a cupcake team. And I don't think it was a fluke. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the beginning of the end of the "dynasty" stuff. I could see that argument OP is making there.

As to the Hogs being in that upper echelon position in 2-3 years? Lol you would have to be smoking crack to believe that. Feeling sorry for Bama? Lol that doesn't even deserve an answer...dumb question.
clemson played like the bama we all know and experience, defensively

hawgwash

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 07:08:09 am »

I bet there's a lot of coaching staffs around the country now preaching what Chad Morris has been saying here.  "We can be the next Clemson".

oldhawg

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 07:48:25 am »

Bama played a much tougher schedule than Clemson.   I think they were played out.   Bama played the tough games to get to the NC.  Clemson played A&M, Syracuse and Notre Shame (who for the honor of the game should voluntarily retract itself from any major bowls or CFP slots for a couple of seasons).

So Clemson beats Alabama by 28 points (and took their foot off the pedal in the fourth quarter), and beats Notre Dame by 27 points.  By your reasoning, Alabama should also refuse to participate in bowl competition for a couple of years.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 08:07:32 am »

Clemson DIDN'T stop the run--between the 20s. They smashed the hell out of it in the red zone. They destroyed 'Bama's passing game, refusing to get beat on big plays downfield, and that hurt their run defense somewhat. But make no mistake, Clemson stopped everything 'Bama had when Clemson aimed to stop it.

I think Tua is an excellent QB. But in this game, he got rattled. It can happen to anyone. He threw for almost 300 yards against Clemson, but the turnovers, and especially the early pick-6 just seemed to have rattled him. He got hit a LOT, something very few teams have been able to do. Given protection, he is extremely accurate. Same with the Clemson kid. 'Bama couldn't touch him and he picked them apart, aided heavily by unbelievable receivers. Some of the bigger catches for Clemson were actually pretty well defended.

Looks like that's the ticket on Tua. GET TO HIM EARLY, and POUND HIM. But how many teams can do that against Alabama's line?

https://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fbs/2019/01/07/clemson-alabama/team-stats
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:28:54 am by liljo »

orvillesghost

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 09:44:13 am »

Alabama is still the gold standard in college football..now if Clemson wins next year, ok you can adjust that a bit.

Arkansas has no chance to break into the ranks of the very top programs in college football at any time, much less two to three years.

We aren't Alabama or Ohio State or Georgia, etc.

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:32 am »

To answer all of the questions you asked, here are my following answers to each one,
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Hell No

Paul

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:20 am »

I think Bama's Oline was overrated.  Clemson shredded it like teams did ours the past two years

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 10:58:17 am »

Does alabama return more starters on the line next year or clemson?

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 01:08:33 pm »

Until Bama drops out of the top 5, they have to still be considered as one of the standard bearers for college football dominance.  Clemson has earned their way to this year's title and will occupy that spot until next year.  But sustained dominance has to be reasserted each season. There is no room for the timid or the weak in football's celestial realm. If we see Clemson win 2-3 more titles in next 4-5 years, then we'll have an answer to the OP's first question.

As for a NWO in college football, really not much has changed except Clemson has bullied their way back into the upper echelon.  But look at the programs who are finishing in the Top 10 (AP) this year, the perennial who's who of college football.  Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Washington State.  Of those teams only Washington State has no winning tradition and no national championship, and since 2000, 7 of those teams out of 10 have national titles; Oklahoma (1), Ohio State (2), LSU (2), Texas (1), Florida (2), Alabama (5), and Clemson (2).  They may shift in and out of the final 10 from year to year, but not much has changed for the haves vs the have nots.  That group of 7 who have recent titles have won 15 of the last 19 championships awarded since the 99-00 season.  The other 4 years were won by Miami, USC, Florida State, and Auburn, hardly the have nots of college football.  Clemson is a school with rich tradition and has solidified their place for now at the top, but there are no open borders in college football as the old gang is still at or near the top and outsiders and upstarts are not welcomed or allowed to linger for long.  Teams like Texas and Notre Dame are re-emerging from outer darkness, but both have rich traditions in football and don't really represent outsiders.  You can argue they don't belong, but their history says otherwise.  Others lurk as well, hoping to re-emerge... but in the end there is really no new world order in college football.

The question as to Arkansas breaking back in is an interesting one.  Arkansas has a rich tradition in football, but it's been locked away in a time capsule and cast into the depths of Beaver Lake.  Our passport to the land of national championships has long ago expired.  Readmission will be a long arduous journey and the only way we get entrance is to bully our way, like Clemson.  We know the way, and even slipped in for a BCS bowl back in 2010, only to be quickly banished to football hell where the have nots dwell.  To be certain, Arkansas has the ingredients and resources, but the odds are not in our favor given the teams that compete for our seat at the table, namely (Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M).  We first have to learn again how to win against the strays that linger in football hell, the North Texas's and Colorado State's of the world, then find the key that unlocks the cellar door of the SEC West.  That key is hidden away in the grease pit of some gas station BBQ joint in MS, guarded by an old dog and racist old man with a black bear who thinks he's a shark.  Then we must beat back that non-rival to the north, Mizzou, not to mention getting the bad taste of Vandy out of our mouths.  Indeed the odds are long, but we are led by a man of faith who I'm told runs a left lane full tilt boogie offense, like Clemson, so maybe there is hope.  BTW, is there any update on that graduate transfer QB?

As for pity and sympathy, there is no room for pity or sympathy for the likes of Alabama, we must show no mercy along the way. To paraphrase Isoroku Yamamota, "I fear all Clemson has done is awaken an angry elephant and filled him with a terrible resolve".  Alabama will reload, it's what they do.  "The mountain remains unmoved at seeming defeat by the mist."  - Rabindranath Tagore

No, we must not pity Bama, or any other team that stands in our way.  We must kill em all, (figuratively of course), and let the football gods sort them out.  Soldier on and Woo Pig Sooie!

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 02:57:49 pm »

It will also depend on how good Clemsons next qb will be. If they can find another elite talent like Watson or Lawrence they will be good to go. Alabama has proven that it can win without an elite qb. But for the next few years neither team has to worry about that..lol

wonderboys

• Varsity
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 03:37:21 pm »

It will also depend on how good Clemsons next qb will be. If they can find another elite talent like Watson or Lawrence they will be good to go. Alabama has proven that it can win without an elite qb. But for the next few years neither team has to worry about that..lol
That was said after Boyd

After Watson

After Lawrence

They will get whoever they want.   It comes down to the coordinators.  Burnt vegetables isnít going anywhere - he has one kid on team and another heading there in 2020. (This one is a stud at Daniels High)

The Co-OCs-   I still canít figure out why in the world scott or Elliot are not HCs yet.  Once they leave it will hurt Dabo.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 03:46:27 pm »

Just like getting a great QB, I think Dabo will attract a top coordinator for the offense when those guys leave.  There is nothing lacking in that program right now.  If and until it explodes, they will bath in the spoils of winning.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 03:51:52 pm »

That was said after Boyd

After Watson

After Lawrence

They will get whoever they want.   It comes down to the coordinators.  Burnt vegetables isnít going anywhere - he has one kid on team and another heading there in 2020. (This one is a stud at Daniels High)

The Co-OCs-   I still canít figure out why in the world scott or Elliot are not HCs yet.  Once they leave it will hurt Dabo.

Like I said it all depends on if the next QB can get it done or get them there. Boyd couldnt. Watson could. Bryant couldnt. Lawrence did.. can he do it two more years? Will the guy after Lawrence be able to? Maybe or maybe not. They will keep getting the talent around the qb. Just need a qb that can deliver. And regardless of QB play i see them with Dabo as the coach every year  having a good chance to make the playoff. Same goes for Bama I think.. but they have proven that they could win it with non elite qbs.

wonderboys

• Varsity
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 04:04:01 pm »

Get it done?    I just want the program to be good/ competitive  / have a chance to win any game we line up for.    Hell  you are about winning NCs.    If you have these answers/ the road map pls share.

Boyd set the foundation -  that is what you should look for and start with.  That is when the high ranked recruits started taking notice.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:19:05 pm by wonderboys »

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 04:15:16 pm »

Get it done?    I just want to program to be good/ competitive  / have a chance to win any game we line up for.    Hell  you are about winning NCs.    If you have these answers/ the road map pls share.

Boyd set the foundation -  that is what you should look for and start with.  That is when the high ranked recruits started taking notice.

The topic is on clemson... not arkansas..lol
I think for Morris to succeed here we are gonna have to get lucky and strike gold with one of the qbs we have. And its not storey. Not sure on the rest on campus but I sure hope so.

wonderboys

• Varsity
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 04:18:27 pm »

Just like getting a great QB, I think Dabo will attract a top coordinator for the offense when those guys leave.  There is nothing lacking in that program right now.  If and until it explodes, they will bath in the spoils of winning.

He certainly would be able to attract a top notch OC, especially as much as they would pay, but the continuity that they have now with everyone would be interrupted  (this was set by Morris)   Elliot and Scott watched exactly how Morris ran things.

So just plugging in "the top notch" OC wouldn't automatically go smoothly/   Trying to think of a place where it has (besides Bama)

I have to sit here and listen to this crap everyday because I live here.

The one thing I see that might hurt is the people here are expecting success everytime out (as Dabo has given), but when they start seeing some type adversity and if anyone/ starts questioning Dabo that will start riffs.

We saw this a little this yr when they barely beat in state rival USC (21 pts) but were favored by 26 ish, and USC threw all over them.  There were some people here that were questioning Dabo and u can see he didn't respond well and it upset him -  So much to the point he said "I'm not going to apologize for beating out instate rival by 21 pts, and when I do I might need to go another place."   

So he has had a lot of success  and not much adversity lately, so everything has been unicorns and rainbows around here. 

wonderboys

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 04:22:54 pm »

The topic is on clemson... not arkansas..lol
I think for Morris to succeed here we are gonna have to get lucky and strike gold with one of the qbs we have. And its not storey. Not sure on the rest on campus but I sure hope so.
sure it may be on Clemson,  but it is an Arkansas board and I'm thinking the interest in Clemson is for comparring Arkansas.

I was trying to define "Get it done"   If that is NC then the post was correct on who did.   That just made me think of what we are shooting for here.     NC?  or just being respectable at first?

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 04:31:58 pm »

Ohio State has done pretty well with turnover and Oklahoma sure hasn't missed Stoops.  Just two examples, but your point is well taken, continuity is important.  But the margin for error is much broader when the team is stacked with quality players at every position and particularly at the skilled positions. The next great OC for Clemson may be on staff already, who knows.  Point is, as long as Clemson recruits at the level they are now, a new OC will have plenty to work with and won't be in a situation where they have to overachieve with less, just maintain with more.

wonderboys

• Varsity
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 04:37:04 pm »

Ohio State has done pretty well with turnover and Oklahoma sure hasn't missed Stoops.  Just two examples, but your point is well taken, continuity is important.  But the margin for error is much broader when the team is stacked with quality players at every position and particularly at the skilled positions. The next great OC for Clemson may be on staff already, who knows.  Point is, as long as Clemson recruits at the level they are now, a new OC will have plenty to work with and won't be in a situation where they have to overachieve with less, just maintain with more.

100% agree.   That margin of error is larger with the recruits Dabo is bringing in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas