• 10,154,247 Posts
• 405,142 Topics
• 23,127 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coaching turnover...  (Read 1890 times)

hogmolar

Coaching turnover...
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:53:07 pm »

Last night during the game they mentioned Clemson has had only 3 coaches leave in a period of time (I can't remember the years) but during that time Alabama has had 20 something leave.  That got me thinking about us.  This is the first year I can remember in a long time that we have not had multiple coaches to replace.  This has to help us in the recruiting game. 

Also, we may be very lucky to get one of the 3 coaches that have left Dabo as it appears Coach Morris is creating the same atmosphere here.  It is cool to see how many recruits have shared the "It starts with You" national Championship gif that the Hogs put out.

Do you think it is more important to have coveted assistant coaches or stability?

Hogberry Snortcake

• Hogvillian
  • "Something profound." -Someone Famous
Re: Coaching turnover...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:43:55 pm »

Like the Murray State Mafia, but successful. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HawgFan4lyfe

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:16:51 pm »

Last night during the game they mentioned Clemson has had only 3 coaches leave in a period of time (I can't remember the years) but during that time Alabama has had 20 something leave.  That got me thinking about us.  This is the first year I can remember in a long time that we have not had multiple coaches to replace.  This has to help us in the recruiting game. 

Also, we may be very lucky to get one of the 3 coaches that have left Dabo as it appears Coach Morris is creating the same atmosphere here.  It is cool to see how many recruits have shared the "It starts with You" national Championship gif that the Hogs put out.

Do you think it is more important to have coveted assistant coaches or stability?

In 5 years Alabama has had 22 assistant changes and Clemson has had only 2.

247Hog

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:21:19 pm »

A big part of it was, besides CBB, is we haven't been willing to pay to keep/bring in the good ones to be successful. If we're going to be serious in football, we have to be willing to compete with the big boys in recruiting and paying a successful staff.

Seebs

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:35:53 pm »

I prefer the coaching Danish.

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:56:25 pm »

Stability is important.  If you are having guys leave to take a promotion (either position coach to OC/DC or coordinator to HC), then I think that's a sign that you've had talented guys working with you though.  Bama and Clemson aren't really good examples because I believe them to be the exception rather than the norm.  If anybody else was dealing with that kind of staff turnover, it would be a huge issue.  Bama survives because they have elite talent and have the ability to attract elite replacements.  Clemson has been fortunate because they have had assistants that seem to be happy where they are and aren't looking to move to the next rung of the ladder.  Venables is as good of a DC as you will find and he seems content getting paid a ton of money to focus solely on his defense.  The 2 OCs seem very much the same way.  They create an environment that has engendered this loyalty and happiness that can't be undersold though.  CCM is definitely cut from the same cloth as Dabo and philosophies seem to really match up.  I hope he is able to maintain his staff and avoid that turmoil that seemed to be ever-present under Bielema.  Relationships matter.  If a coach is selling Arkansas at a school for 6 years and he is suddenly somewhere else, that affects the ability to sell a kid on being a Hog. 

redeye

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:03:36 pm »

I'll go with stability, since coveted assistants aren't always good assistants, but I actually think it's both.  Chavis is a good example, because if we're ever going to have a great defense soon, then we need stability with a coveted DC named John Chavis.

What Alabama has done is extremely unique, because Saban has created a coaching carousel for assistants, and yet, it didn't affect their dominance any.  Just think about that for a minute.  Many here think everything will greatly improve if we can just hire the right coaches, which is something Alabama literally does every year!  Of course it's easier for them, but it's still quite remarkable, imo.

I'm not sure if anyone knows how Saban does it, but trying to replicate that practice probably isn't a good idea.

East TN HAWG

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:01:24 pm »

Hiring great asst coaches is not an exact science.  There will be hits and misses. 

There is positive turnover and negative turnover.  Turnover due to poor performance is a good thing.  Turnover when good coaches take a lateral move or and dip is not.  Keep the good coaches and turn the bad over.

Itís hard to argue anything Dabo has done.  His train is rolling right now. 

husker71

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:21:11 pm »

During his last year at Nebraska Tom Osborne had been at Nebraska for 34 years and the length of time at the school for his assistants was 21,6,6,11,15,24,25,19 and 29 years.

hogfan1981

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 07:11:00 am »

I'll go with stability, since coveted assistants aren't always good assistants, but I actually think it's both.  Chavis is a good example, because if we're ever going to have a great defense soon, then we need stability with a coveted DC named John Chavis.

What Alabama has done is extremely unique, because Saban has created a coaching carousel for assistants, and yet, it didn't affect their dominance any.  Just think about that for a minute.  Many here think everything will greatly improve if we can just hire the right coaches, which is something Alabama literally does every year!  Of course it's easier for them, but it's still quite remarkable, imo.

I'm not sure if anyone knows how Saban does it, but trying to replicate that practice probably isn't a good idea.

I had a coach in high school that had a lot of success. His philosophy was pretty simple. He always said "great players make great coaches". Saban is the reason players go to Alabama. As long as he is there, he will attract top talent because of the success he has had. That type of talent will make position coaches look pretty good. Of course, if you take that type of talent and throw in a good position coach, like Dan Enos, it makes a really good combination. However, if Dan Enos had to coach someone like me at QB, he would look like an idiot.

The Hawgman

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 07:57:37 am »

Stability is important.  If you are having guys leave to take a promotion (either position coach to OC/DC or coordinator to HC), then I think that's a sign that you've had talented guys working with you though.  Bama and Clemson aren't really good examples because I believe them to be the exception rather than the norm.  If anybody else was dealing with that kind of staff turnover, it would be a huge issue.  Bama survives because they have elite talent and have the ability to attract elite replacements.  Clemson has been fortunate because they have had assistants that seem to be happy where they are and aren't looking to move to the next rung of the ladder.  Venables is as good of a DC as you will find and he seems content getting paid a ton of money to focus solely on his defense.  The 2 OCs seem very much the same way.  They create an environment that has engendered this loyalty and happiness that can't be undersold though.  CCM is definitely cut from the same cloth as Dabo and philosophies seem to really match up.  I hope he is able to maintain his staff and avoid that turmoil that seemed to be ever-present under Bielema.  Relationships matter.  If a coach is selling Arkansas at a school for 6 years and he is suddenly somewhere else, that affects the ability to sell a kid on being a Hog.
The man Dabo who follows the Lord May be a little easier to work with than Nick and his process. It didnít look like Dabos team suffered from him having the right priorities.

Jahog2020

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 08:46:29 am »

The man Dabo who follows the Lord May be a little easier to work with than Nick and his process. It didnít look like Dabos team suffered from him having the right priorities.

I thought it was cool how his players were recruiting for him when they tried stealing the microphone from the reporter!  They really seem to love Dabo and his staff and have tons of respect for him rather than be terrified like Saban's players seem.  I hope to see our players do that too.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 08:13:54 pm »

Could it be that Saban is so anal in his coaching and oversight of everything in the program that it is plug and play? A CEO coach depends on the talent of the coaches under him.  I ha e a feeling Sabanís plan is pretty specifically laid out for those who work for him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas