• 10,158,335 Posts
• 405,227 Topics
• 23,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis linebacker releases Top 8 schools  (Read 3811 times)

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldhawg

Re: Memphis linebacker releases Top 8 schools
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:26:59 pm »

For schools not involved in blatant buying and bribery to sign players, relationship building (with players and family and high school coaches) may the  single most important factor.  IMO Morris and his staff are doing an exceedingly good job in this aspect of recruiting.  That, plus they have narrowed the scope of areas of emphasis (the so-called footprint) for recruiting, and are diligently working those areas through previously established relationships.

IMO, coming off a 2-10 season, the future is beginning to look a bit brighter for the Razorback football program.  Sometimes dawn is slow breaking though.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:46:45 pm »

For schools not involved in blatant buying and bribery to sign players, relationship building (with players and family and high school coaches) may the  single most important factor.  IMO Morris and his staff are doing an exceedingly good job in this aspect of recruiting.  That, plus they have narrowed the scope of areas of emphasis (the so-called footprint) for recruiting, and are diligently working those areas through previously established relationships.

IMO, coming off a 2-10 season, the future is beginning to look a bit brighter for the Razorback football program.  Sometimes dawn is slow breaking though.

I think that is the key right there. The two things that impressed me most the day Chad was hired, I don't usually get too pumped about those things coaches say about building the fence and this and that, but the two things that Chad said that I was impressed with was 1. He had to recruit speed. In SEC either have speed or chasing it and you don't want to be chasing it. and then 2. The recruiting foot print. Bret told his friends that kids in Memphis and Texas were overrated. He didn't know how close Tulsa was for like 3 years after he was on the job. He wasted so much time recruiting Wisconsin, Michigan and those areas. He got Frank from Minnesota which was a great get, but got nothing else from Minnesota. Spent a lot of time in Chicago and Ohio also to get very little. Knowing need for Speed and recruiting foot print are the two things that impress me most about Morris.

WooPig90

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:09:10 pm »

I think that is the key right there. The two things that impressed me most the day Chad was hired, I don't usually get too pumped about those things coaches say about building the fence and this and that, but the two things that Chad said that I was impressed with was 1. He had to recruit speed. In SEC either have speed or chasing it and you don't want to be chasing it. and then 2. The recruiting foot print. Bret told his friends that kids in Memphis and Texas were overrated. He didn't know how close Tulsa was for like 3 years after he was on the job. He wasted so much time recruiting Wisconsin, Michigan and those areas. He got Frank from Minnesota which was a great get, but got nothing else from Minnesota. Spent a lot of time in Chicago and Ohio also to get very little. Knowing need for Speed and recruiting foot print are the two things that impress me most about Morris.

Wow just wow. Nothing surprises me when it comes to Bert anymore. He was so terrible words cant even describe

Redhogs

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:10:54 pm »

The more you learn about Bert tells you just how dumb, lazy and inept he really was...a total nightmare scenario...thus the nightmare results.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 06:10:32 pm »

The more you learn about Bert tells you just how dumb, lazy and inept he really was...a total nightmare scenario...thus the nightmare results.

Wish our media revealed them at the time. 

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:27:37 pm »

it's always the darkest right before dawn

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 06:29:46 pm »

Wow just wow. Nothing surprises me when it comes to Bert anymore. He was so terrible words cant even describe
this.

Not knowing Tulsa is the closest major city isnt even just negligent- it's downright MORONIC> This guy was a college graduate and doesnt know basic geography?!?!

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:09:19 pm »

I guess he got his success at Wisky from basically being given the keys to a well oiled machine by Barry Alvarez.  All BB had to do was not mess it up.  He won some games.  He beat Ark in a bowl game.  He won some Rose Bowls, but he inherited a program that was basically on auto pilot.  They arent going to win a national championship but they crank out offensive linemen and running backs with consistency.  And they won games year in and year out.  I dont think BB is a bad guy.  In fact he is probably a pretty good guy, but the Big 10 way of doing things isnt like the SEC.

And when he got to ARK and the SEC, Im sure his eyes were opened when he saw how fast EVERYBODY was/is along with being big and strong.  His way of recruiting was the exact wrong approach and it set the program back years.  CCM has come in and coming  from CLEM via SMU, he knows the value of speed and he certainly does have the right approach in recruiting.  But as well as he is doing, its only good enough to be ranked maybe in the upper part of the lower half of the SEC.  It will take him at least 3-4 years to build what he is trying to build.  I just hope he can do it and win a few games along the way. 

Ethan2010

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 07:38:01 pm »

I guess he got his success at Wisky from basically being given the keys to a well oiled machine by Barry Alvarez.  All BB had to do was not mess it up.  He won some games.  He beat Ark in a bowl game.  He won some Rose Bowls, but he inherited a program that was basically on auto pilot.  They arent going to win a national championship but they crank out offensive linemen and running backs with consistency.  And they won games year in and year out.  I dont think BB is a bad guy.  In fact he is probably a pretty good guy, but the Big 10 way of doing things isnt like the SEC.

And when he got to ARK and the SEC, Im sure his eyes were opened when he saw how fast EVERYBODY was/is along with being big and strong.  His way of recruiting was the exact wrong approach and it set the program back years.  CCM has come in and coming  from CLEM via SMU, he knows the value of speed and he certainly does have the right approach in recruiting.  But as well as he is doing, its only good enough to be ranked maybe in the upper part of the lower half of the SEC.  It will take him at least 3-4 years to build what he is trying to build.  I just hope he can do it and win a few games along the way.
He lost some rose bowls.... never won. Just clarifying, good post.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 08:08:18 pm »

I agree with a lot of what you said but it's not the Big 10 way of doing things, it's the Wisconsin way.  The Big 10 has a wide variety of styles like most leagues do-except the Big 12!-and Wisconsin is very old school but you can't say the same about many of the other teams. 

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 08:39:05 am »

this.

Not knowing Tulsa is the closest major city isnt even just negligent- it's downright MORONIC> This guy was a college graduate and doesnt know basic geography?!?!
He didn’t even know where Arkansas was - Byars, Crockett

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 06:29:08 pm »

He told his "friends" that Texas players tended to have higher ratings because the were better coached and trained.   He thought Texas players were more ready to play sooner but thought other states players could be just as good as Jr's and Srs.   Also thought the style of ball in Texas made players harder to assess for his style and harder to coach that style out of them.   His connections were in Florida and other places.  You use what you got.   By they way A&M Texas Texas Tech Baylor have not lived up to their recruiting rankings in a long time.  Maybe the are over rated?

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:45:24 am »

I'm starting to think that CBB was a good coach, but needed direction and needed self discipline.  I think he needs a strong authority figure over him like Barry Alverez to keep him on the straight and narrow.  A lot of the stunts that CBB pulled off here would not have happend if he reported to a figure like Broyles or Alverez.  I was a strong CBB supporter and did not want him fired, but now I'm glad he is gone.  We would have never made it over the hump with him at the controls. 

WooPig90

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 01:15:03 pm »

I'm starting to think that CBB was a good coach, but needed direction and needed self discipline.  I think he needs a strong authority figure over him like Barry Alverez to keep him on the straight and narrow.  A lot of the stunts that CBB pulled off here would not have happend if he reported to a figure like Broyles or Alverez.  I was a strong CBB supporter and did not want him fired, but now I'm glad he is gone.  We would have never made it over the hump with him at the controls.

Not sure if serious?

jimhog

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 06:43:19 pm »

The best to the coaches with recruiting.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:15 pm »

He told his "friends" that Texas players tended to have higher ratings because the were better coached and trained.   He thought Texas players were more ready to play sooner but thought other states players could be just as good as Jr's and Srs.   Also thought the style of ball in Texas made players harder to assess for his style and harder to coach that style out of them.   His connections were in Florida and other places.  You use what you got.   By they way A&M Texas Texas Tech Baylor have not lived up to their recruiting rankings in a long time.  Maybe the are over rated?
A lot of people think that and I tend to agree.  The line of thinking is that many of them are "maxed out" on their ability because of the resources and facilities available to them as compared to Florida and Louisiana kids who have raw potential that is still being developed. That is a broad statement but there is some truth to it.  Big reason why Texas sputtered in Mack Browns last few years.  He did not identify kids with talent growth opportunity and took too many kids who had already reached their potential in HS. This is even more true for lineman since almost all Texas High schools play a finesse game vs a physical style game.   

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 10:54:56 pm »

I may be loaded, but it sure seems like this thread got turned into a "Blameing Beeleemer" Thread when it was started as an "Atta Boy Morris" Thread, I'm just saying...

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 03:49:05 am »

I may be loaded, but it sure seems like this thread got turned into a "Blameing Beeleemer" Thread when it was started as an "Atta Boy Morris" Thread, I'm just saying...

What about that Memphis linebacker?

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 08:38:28 am »

What about that Memphis linebacker?

Back to him. This kid would be a monster get! He already has the size and speed. Look at his offer list. Look at the players that have come from that HS. Even if we land a few other big time Memphis kids in 2020 (and hopefully get another in 2019 w/ Chris Russell), it will be hard to land this kid. But being in the Top 8 is better than being on the outside looking in! Like it's been mentioned time and time again, this upcoming season will have to show remarkable improvement

HardingHog

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:56 am »

My pipe dream has been to get him and his teammate Bryson Eason. Both are linebackers and pretty much identical size. While we're at it, I'd also love to get a couple of the OL guys we're on from Memphis

https://247sports.com/player/bryson-eason-46037377/

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 12:49:17 pm »

I think you call that an assistant coach not  a head coach.  No good head coach needs someone holding their hand and telling them what to do.

hawgwash

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 01:03:56 pm »

I think you call that an assistant coach not  a head coach.  No good head coach needs someone holding their hand and telling them what to do.
And further to your point, someone in their mid 40's shouldn't need direction and self discipline.

Funny thing.  I just googled Bret Bielema to see how old he is.  I typed "bret b" and bret bielema popped up as the second entry.  The first entry?  "bret bielema wife".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:30:12 pm by hawgwash »

jvanhorn

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 01:32:36 pm »

this.

I can't say I am surprised.  People in Arkansas voted big for Trump but he probably couldn't even find the state on a map, let alone give a crap about us.  Sometimes the problem is us.  We hired Bret he didn't hire us.

31to6

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 01:34:47 pm »

And further to your point, someone in their mid 40's shouldn't need direction and self discipline.

Funny thing.  I just googled Bret Bielema to see how old he is.  I typed "bret b" and bret bielema popped up as the second entry.  The first entry?  "bret bielema wife".
you do know that google suggestions are individualized based on your online activity...  :)

hawgwash

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 01:47:00 pm »

you do know that google suggestions are individualized based on your online activity...  :)
Yeah I actually thought about that, and don't deny that's a possibility.  But I do know her first name so I think I would have googled her using Jen ("don't call her Jennifer") Bielema.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas