• 10,154,248 Posts
• 405,142 Topics
• 23,127 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfect Game Pre-Season All-Americans  (Read 1032 times)

Razrpig256

Perfect Game Pre-Season All-Americans
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:16:02 pm »

Perfect Game included 4 Hogs on their list of pre-season All-Americans:

First team:
OF Heston Kjerstad

Second team:
3B Casey Martin
RP Matt Cronin

Third team:
OF Dominic Fletcher

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16006

HogPharmer

Re: Perfect Game Pre-Season All-Americans
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:40:55 pm »

Tied with Oregon State for most of any other team?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ucahogfan

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:22:36 pm »

I think that is more in line with what I was thinking rather than the Collegiate Baseball list which completely excluded Kjerstad on any team.  We have as much star power to build around in 2019 as any team in the country.  Just have to find people to fill the holes as there are a few with a lot of players gone from last year.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out how Cronin had a 3.54 ERA last year.  I think he was probably the most unlucky pitcher in the country.  He allowed 19 ERs in 48.1 IP.  He gave up 25 hits, 14 walks, and hit 1 batter.  That is approximately 40 baserunners which means 45% of his baserunners to reach scored this year.  He gave up 3 HRs - one to Nelson Maldanado in Gainesville on a pitch that was almost literally eye level, one to Larnach in Omaha, and I can't re-call the third one off the top of my head - so it was not like he gave up a lot of HRs to help inflate that.  For a team, we allowed 290 runs on 793 baserunners between walks, hits, and HBPs.  Now there are still runners who reach on errors to account for, but this is a good way to track.  That means approximately 36.5% of baserunners who reached base scored on our team last year which is probably pretty average.  I think Cronin is due to see his ERA drop a good amount this year as we see regression to the mean.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:56:45 pm »

He gave up 3 HRs - one to Nelson Maldanado in Gainesville on a pitch that was almost literally eye level, one to Larnach in Omaha, and I can't re-call the third one off the top of my head - so it was not like he gave up a lot of HRs to help inflate that. 

UCA: The other homer was by Tyler Keenan of Ole Miss in the rubber game of that series.   Arkansas fell behind 8-2 and staged a late rally before losing 11-10.

I was happy to see this list today.   I've been focusing too much on the holes we need to fill without reminding myself how much talent we still have.

hogdollar

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:52:51 pm »

UCA: The other homer was by Tyler Keenan of Ole Miss in the rubber game of that series.   Arkansas fell behind 8-2 and staged a late rally before losing 11-10.

I was happy to see this list today.   I've been focusing too much on the holes we need to fill without reminding myself how much talent we still have.

I think a lot of people of been focusing a lot on the holes and what we have to replace. Personally I think the talent and coaching are there to see us with a top 15 team again. We probably have the best core to build around in Fletcher, Martin and Heston. We've seen the good Campbell and if the fall was any indication we should see more good than bad. Ramage and Bolden both have shown they can start. Remember Ramages start at GA last year.  Kostyshock and Vermillion showed the tools this summer. We've seen what Kopps can do and of course Cronin. Kenley is a known commodity on defense McFarland has shown he is more than capable. While we havent personally seen it we know Ezell and Goodheart can flat out hit. In limited action we've seen that Opitz is definitely capable and Franklin seems to be our next potential all conference freshman. If everything plays out right and we take care of business at home I dont see why we cant host a regional again and you can never count out a team that was left with a bad taste in their mouth with how our season ended.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 12:25:40 pm »

I could even see this team going down to Red Stick and taking 2 of 3 from the corn dogs

Razrpig256

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 01:20:19 pm »

I could even see this team going down to Red Stick and taking 2 of 3 from the corn dogs

We play LSU at Baum this year.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 01:33:19 pm »

We play LSU at Baum this year.

Oh, yeah, then definitely we could win that series

Pig Mania

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:47 pm »

Oh, yeah, then definitely we could win that series

I don't see it tbh. I can barely remember the last time we won a series against them. They have our number

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 07:24:32 pm »

I don't see it tbh. I can barely remember the last time we won a series against them. They have our number

One of these year PM is going to leave his voodoo magic at home and DVH is gonna get em.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:54 am »

Swept them in 2011.

Pig Mania

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 07:15:27 pm »

Swept them in 2011.
I remember that. Great comeback win for game 3 i believe. I always get my hopes up every year against the Tigers but we never seem to beat them unless they have a very down year

ucahogfan

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 07:37:46 pm »

I think it could be argued that Ezell could have been a preseason AA based on his stats last year, but PG went with all SSs outside of Stumpf and guys who could be high picks this year.

Ezell hit .377 with 26 XBHs last year which is extremely solid for a 2B.  In Ezell, we have a guy who has hit over .310 in each full season he has played and brings about 800 ABs of experience at the D-1 level.  Sure, SEMO isn't playing a schedule like ours, but how many times do you have a grad transfer like that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas