• 10,058,682 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I should have something tonight for you guys on  (Read 7586 times)

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
I should have something tonight for you guys on
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:47:10 am »

one of Arkansas' six commitments. I think this will clear up the picture a little bit more.

RandomPigInLousiana

• Band Nerd
Re: I should have something tonight for you guys on
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:50:20 am »

Hmmm

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:24 am »

...be lookin' forward to it, Mr. Kirk!

ricepig

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:52:25 am »

Yeah, it's not like Myles Brooks tweeted a big announcement at 6. The writing has been on the wall for awhile on this one.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:48 am »

Yeah, it's not like Myles Brooks tweeted a big announcement at 6. The writing has been on the wall for awhile on this one.
Lol pretty clear whats going on

island hog

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 11:10:06 am »

Help a fello out there Rice... what are you expecting here? 

WooPig90

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 11:14:36 am »

Yupp. We need some new news Otis! Lol

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 11:19:42 am »

Man...I just hope this is good news. I have no idea what y'all are talking about...

GrizzlyRider07

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 11:28:01 am »

Brooks is going to decommitt more than likely or say he flipped his commitment to another school.

ricepig

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 11:30:09 am »

Help a fello out there Rice... what are you expecting here? 

That he's "de-committing", when in all reality, we moved on weeks ago. My guess, he's JUCO bound, some say Illinois, but we didn't go by and see him in the last "visit" phase of recruiting. We got the DB's we wanted, Greg Brooks, and Devin Bush, we still would like Otey to stick with his commitment. And of course, we want Catalon very much.

Wildhog

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 11:36:08 am »

That he's "de-committing", when in all reality, we moved on weeks ago. My guess, he's JUCO bound, some say Illinois, but we didn't go by and see him in the last "visit" phase of recruiting. We got the DB's we wanted, Greg Brooks, and Devin Bush, we still would like Otey to stick with his commitment. And of course, we want Catalon very much.

2020 class needs to be LB/DB heavy.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 11:37:58 am »

RB

Wildhog

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 11:43:49 am »

RB

Obviously need to get a big time RB, and another 4-5 OL.

Gotta have quality and quantity at LB/DB, though.  It's a must for this class.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 11:47:28 am »

Obviously need to get a big time RB, and another 4-5 OL.

Gotta have quality and quantity at LB/DB, though.  It's a must for this class.
Its trending that way so far

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:48:37 am »

I would imagine that will be just the intention. They will sacrifice a dlineman spot or two I think.  Maybe a wr spot.  But we canít pull from the needed 5 oline

ricepig

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 01:10:18 pm »

What if we sign 2 more LB's in Feb? We need the two from Memphis for 2020, as for DB, I think I read 3??

presidenthog

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 01:21:28 pm »

What if we sign 2 more LB's in Feb? We need the two from Memphis for 2020, as for DB, I think I read 3??

I really really want us to land both lakia henry, and Christopher Russell. Ive made that pretty clear

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 01:35:37 pm »

Would be amazing to sign Henry and Russell this year. Just not to confident we get both

Wildhog

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:20 pm »

Obviously that would relieve some of the urgency, but we need a solid LB haul, regardless.  We are woefully thin there.

ricepig

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 06:28:08 pm »

Well, this is the exact opposite of what I thought was going to happen. Otis, how does this effect the final numbers, who's out?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:59:07 pm by Otis Kirk »

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 06:37:44 pm »

Well, this is the exact opposite of what I thought was going to happen. Otis, how does this effect the final numbers, who's out?
what even happened?

greenie

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 06:40:50 pm »

Well...come on...out with it.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 06:41:59 pm »

Rumors of Hogs dropping him, but not true. They want to keep him. He hasn't announced his 6 p.m. deal.

imtad16

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 06:42:15 pm »

If it was the opposite of what Rice thought would happen, I wonder if he reaffirmed his commitment?

greenie

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:26 pm »

If it was the opposite of what Rice thought would happen, I wonder if he reaffirmed his commitment?

I guess the news is already out on the pay boards.  Whatever it is.

imtad16

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 06:47:55 pm »

I guess the news is already out on the pay boards.  Whatever it is.

Yeah I saw where Danny West linked it on Twitter.

Nothing from Brooks on Twitter yet.

https://twitter.com/myles_brooks10?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fplayer%2Fmyles-brooks-46051974%2F

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 06:59:43 pm »

They have eight spots left. They have six commitments. They want a QB, Catalon and Henry and/or Russell.

They want Myles, I had heard he was gonna decommit, but I guess that wasn't the case or if it was they talked him out of it. I know there have been lots of thoughts on he got dropped, but I reported a month or so ago he was gonna sign on Feb. 6. I don't think you will see them dropping a 6-2, 188 pound safety who ran an electronic 4.56 40.

As far as what will the numbers look like

We know Henry and Burks are signing so that gets them to 23. Then you have at least one safety,, maybe two, but must get one. They want to keep Brooks and appears they will, but they aren't gonna turn down Catalon if he wants to come.
A linebacker or two but there again must get one. They want to get Henry and/or Russell.
A grad QB
A running back. If Spivey sticks with Hogs then they have him, but if not then they will search for one.
If Otey sticks then they have another CB, but if by chance he didn't they might not sign a fourth. Dante Walker has a scholie if he still comes which they hope he does.
That is how it sits right now.

marshog

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 07:04:58 pm »

Otis, do you know if they have running backs already lined up if Spivey doesnít stick?

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 07:16:19 pm »

Otis, do you know if they have running backs already lined up if Spivey doesn’t stick?
Some cat named Junebug from Eudora.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 07:19:52 pm »

They have eight spots left. They have six commitments. They want a QB, Catalon and Henry and/or Russell.

They want Myles, I had heard he was gonna decommit, but I guess that wasn't the case or if it was they talked him out of it. I know there have been lots of thoughts on he got dropped, but I reported a month or so ago he was gonna sign on Feb. 6. I don't think you will see them dropping a 6-2, 188 pound safety who ran an electronic 4.56 40.

As far as what will the numbers look like

We know Henry and Burks are signing so that gets them to 23. Then you have at least one safety,, maybe two, but must get one. They want to keep Brooks and appears they will, but they aren't gonna turn down Catalon if he wants to come.
A linebacker or two but there again must get one. They want to get Henry and/or Russell.
A grad QB
A running back. If Spivey sticks with Hogs then they have him, but if not then they will search for one.
If Otey sticks then they have another CB, but if by chance he didn't they might not sign a fourth. Dante Walker has a scholie if he still comes which they hope he does.
That is how it sits right now.

Henry
Burks
Brooks
Spivey
Otey
Walker
Catalon
LB
Grad QB

That's one too many players for available spots.

ricepig

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 07:20:42 pm »

Otis, do you know if they have running backs already lined up if Spivey doesnít stick?

Supposedly Grover Cook is a possibility.

RaisinHog

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:08 pm »

Supposedly Grover Cook is a possibility.

You mean Glover Cook??

ricepig

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 07:40:39 pm »

You mean Glover Cook??

Uh huh, or maybe I meant Grove Cleveland, lol. It's just a name bouncing around, I'd much prefer Barlow from Newton, TX, but I don't think we can get back in with him.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »

Uh huh, or maybe I meant Grove Cleveland, lol. It's just a name bouncing around, I'd much prefer Barlow from Newton, TX, but I don't think we can get back in with him.

Glover Cook is actually a higher rated RB than Spivey on 247 in a FWIW.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:47 pm »

Erockster20

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 07:54:14 pm »

I would be disappointed if we pass on solid HS kids to take a 1 year bandaid at Qb. Itís a re-build. Donít sacrifice the greater good.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 08:02:42 pm »

I would be disappointed if we pass on solid HS kids to take a 1 year bandaid at Qb. Itís a re-build. Donít sacrifice the greater good.
Did you enter MMQB this season?  The greater good may not have the ability to get here in time if we donít bainaid this B up and get some wins next season. 

imtad16

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 08:02:46 pm »

Depends on who the HS kid is and how good of a bandaid. If the bandaid could bring us a couple more wins and a bowl that will help recruiting next season it would be worth it. We can't win 2 or 3 games next season and continue to roll in recruiting.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:56 pm »

I want you to walk into the room and tell all your upcoming Seniors that you do not care about wins now but your building for 2 and 3 years down the road. Then go to your summer booster clubs and talk to all those fans who buy the tickets for next years games and tell them why you did not sign a transfer QB now because your building for 2020.   Gp tell them.

Come on lets be smart here.  Lets get us the best transfer QB we  can get to come in here to add competition and hopefully he is good enough to lead us to 6+ wins next year and build this program NOW!!!!!  If we can then next years recruiting gets much easier.  Plus the fans will believe and buy more tickets.

JIHawg

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 10:47:29 pm »

Sometimes you have to roll with the punches.  If a good one year grad transfer becomes available, you grab him.  If not, you get one or two of the younger dudes ready for war.

Erockster20

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 11:07:10 pm »

Depends on who the HS kid is and how good of a bandaid. If the bandaid could bring us a couple more wins and a bowl that will help recruiting next season it would be worth it. We can't win 2 or 3 games next season and continue to roll in recruiting.

I donít disagree. I wanted KB. But how many of these backups are that much better than Storey?

Erockster20

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:28 pm »

I want you to walk into the room and tell all your upcoming Seniors that you do not care about wins now but your building for 2 and 3 years down the road. Then go to your summer booster clubs and talk to all those fans who buy the tickets for next years games and tell them why you did not sign a transfer QB now because your building for 2020.   Gp tell them.

Come on lets be smart here.  Lets get us the best transfer QB we  can get to come in here to add competition and hopefully he is good enough to lead us to 6+ wins next year and build this program NOW!!!!!  If we can then next years recruiting gets much easier.  Plus the fans will believe and buy more tickets.

If I care about wins then how many of those seniors that couldnít win as juniors should I replace?

nwahogfan1

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:46 pm »

If I care about wins then how many of those seniors that couldnít win as juniors should I replace?

You would replace them all who have not bought in to your standards if you could. But NCAA rules will not allow it. Best you can hope is they will buy in or you  have better replacements coming in.

But lets do not give up on wins for 2019.  If you do then it would corrupt your 2020 recruiting.

King Kong

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 11:35:53 pm »

Rumors of Hogs dropping him, but not true. They want to keep him. He hasn't announced his 6 p.m. deal.

Otis, Brooks hasnít officially visited yet correct? Is it possible he is a blueshirt candidate that will receive his scholarship in the fall but count to next years class?

Would also allow us to sneak another player in and have 30 player instead of 29
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:56:47 pm by King Kong »

Erockster20

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 08:27:24 am »

You would replace them all who have not bought in to your standards if you could. But NCAA rules will not allow it. Best you can hope is they will buy in or you  have better replacements coming in.

But lets do not give up on wins for 2019.  If you do then it would corrupt your 2020 recruiting.

Again Iím not saying go 2-10 and it doesnít matter. I think you totally take KB. But I feel like now we are trying to take anyone with a pulse. To me, it only makes sense if you waste a scholarship for the future on someone who can make an impact. Is Ben Hicks clearly multiple wins better than Storey or Noland next year? We need someone at QB next year who can win 2 SEC games. That should get us to a bowl.  If itís a guy on campus, then use that scholarship on a young LB who can make a difference for multiple years. Just my take.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 08:48:56 am »

Again Iím not saying go 2-10 and it doesnít matter. I think you totally take KB. But I feel like now we are trying to take anyone with a pulse. To me, it only makes sense if you waste a scholarship for the future on someone who can make an impact. Is Ben Hicks clearly multiple wins better than Storey or Noland next year? We need someone at QB next year who can win 2 SEC games. That should get us to a bowl.  If itís a guy on campus, then use that scholarship on a young LB who can make a difference for multiple years. Just my take.

Clearly the coaches feel that either Storey isn't the answer at all, or he's one hit away from us being royally screwed(again). And they don't seem to feel too good about the younger guys there. In this scholarship crunch they're looking for a 1-2 year guy. That means they're pretty dang serious.

WooPig90

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 09:05:47 am »

Brooks staying makes me think we might not feel good about keeping Otey

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22:07 am »

Brooks staying makes me think we might not feel good about keeping Otey

I feel as though they play 2 different positions. Brooks seems like a surefire S, whereas Otey projected more of a CB. Although he didn't play exclusively there. I think Otey is still firm to the Hogs, and it's going to take some strong convincing from other teams on his visits. But recruiting never stops, so who knows. Brooks has great frame, and he could add to that and be versatile down the line. Not too sure of his ability and bouncing back from injury, but we'll see...

nwahogfan1

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 09:33:27 am »

I feel as though they play 2 different positions. Brooks seems like a surefire S, whereas Otey projected more of a CB. Although he didn't play exclusively there. I think Otey is still firm to the Hogs, and it's going to take some strong convincing from other teams on his visits. But recruiting never stops, so who knows. Brooks has great frame, and he could add to that and be versatile down the line. Not too sure of his ability and bouncing back from injury, but we'll see...

Otis said earlier that he did not think our numbers will work out for all three Brooks, Catalon and Otey so we will see who is on the outs.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:16 am »

I donít disagree. I wanted KB. But how many of these backups are that much better than Storey?

That's a pretty low bar.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas