• 10,165,494 Posts
• 405,363 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: playcalling...  (Read 1458 times)

#1 STUNNA

playcalling...
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:56 am »

have seen Craddock take a lot of heat on his play calling this year.... Watching all these bowl games ive seen a lot of questionable playcalling....

one thing is for sure... if you dont have equal or better talent it dont matter what the hell you call..... OC for Alabama was absolutely horrid last night....

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
Re: playcalling...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:36:06 am »

have seen Craddock take a lot of heat on his play calling this year.... Watching all these bowl games ive seen a lot of questionable playcalling....

one thing is for sure... if you dont have equal or better talent it dont matter what the hell you call..... OC for Alabama was absolutely horrid last night....

I agree that there was some unbelievably bad play calls last night (that fake punt though...ughhh), but I think the most credit goes to Venables. He literally seemed to predict Bamas every play. Even on Tua’s roll outs and screen plays, Clemson was almost always ready for them.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:37:52 am »

They should have let The Great Dan Enos call the plays they would have scored on every possession.  When you have talent you can run every play and when you don't you just try to not put your players in a bad situation.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:40:14 am »

They should have let The Great Dan Enos call the plays they would have scored on every possession.  When you have talent you can run every play and when you don't you just try to not put your players in a bad situation.

I’m trying to figure out the level of sarcasm you’re usong about the “Great Dan Enos”. Enos is a great play caller and excellent at QB development. Bama would most likely have done better had Enos been OC this year.

Superhog1959

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:40:55 am »

At least for this game, I thought Clemson was better prepared, and Alabama was out coached. Saban tries to dek teams into doing things he wants them to. Clemson didn't fall for it.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:41:32 am »

Bama never recovered from Tua's picks in the first half. Why did those occur? Venables' defensive concepts, especially in the secondary. Tua was completely confused and it impacted his decision-making and therefore his performance the rest of the game. I hope Chief was watching how Venables used his formations to fool Tua and frustrate him early.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:42:01 am »

The legend of losing head coach Dan Enos is alive!!!

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:43:05 am »

Bama never recovered from Tua's picks in the first half. Why did those occur? Venables' defensive concepts, especially in the secondary. Tua was completely confused and it impacted his decision-making and therefore his performance the rest of the game. I hope Chief was watching how Venables used his formations to fool Tua and frustrate him early.

You still need the players to execute the scheme.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:44:09 am »

I think craddock will be fine as an OC... He was when he had equal or better talent at SMU... but until we see some better talent on the field we will always question some of his playcalling.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:45:18 am »

You still need the players to execute the scheme.
yep one handed catches in clutch situations have nothing to do with coaching..lol.. gotta have PLAYERS!!!!!

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:47:03 am »

That bootleg to the left with Tua on 4th down was terrible.

Alabama should have kept that one kid in wildcat and ran ran ran.

LRRandy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:51:25 am »

or. If they run for the fourth time and get stuffed again the criticism would have been why was something else not tried. Bama was not able to punch it in from the one yard line. They tried a different play that didn't work. Clemson was just better.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 09:54:34 am »

Since the OU/Knight Sugar Bowl, Bama has changed their offense because of what college football has become and what it has done to Bama's defense.  A very few amount of teams in college football have the offenses with talent at QB to put pressure not only on Bama's D but their O too.  Bama cannot just line up and run over them or they feel the pressure to not try.  It influenced the hiring of Kiffin.  It influenced Kiffin's playcalling in the Oh St game when Bama could run through Oh St.  Bama's back seven couldn't handle the game in space and they couldn't get pressure in time to stop the pass.  They felt the pressure to keep throwing.  Manziel and Hugh Freeze had some influence on this Bama change.  Saban deserves a ton of credit for evolving and still winning NC's after the game changed.

Locksley felt the same pressure last night.  Bama RB's were routinely gashing Clemson for 8-12 yard runs.  But he came out passing last night and it immediately led to a mistake and chasing Clemson the rest of the game.  I'm sure their plan was to do as they did to OU and jump on them early and then run the clock out in the 4th and hold on for a win.  Their defense did their part in the first qtr except one blown coverage. 

Defense and offense go together.  Playcalling is influenced by what your D can do.  Bama's secondary was inexperienced and vulnerable.  LB's struggle in space.  And they had no outside pass rush.  Usually Bama's front 4 can pressure QBs enough to where the rest doesn't matter.  Clemson's oline and Lawrence are an exception.  Bama felt the need to put the game on Tua and the elite WRs.  Venables confused Tua from the start.  A shame the lack of touches Bama's great backs get sometimes.  Where were screens last night to combat the Clemson aggressiveness?  And #74 was a penalty machine in the playoffs. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:54:45 am »

Absolutely horrible call. I think they should have settled for a couple field goals personally instead of going for all the 4th downs and take your chances. And lets not even get started on the fake FG call... lol

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 09:56:41 am »

I’m trying to figure out the level of sarcasm you’re usong about the “Great Dan Enos”. Enos is a great play caller and excellent at QB development. Bama would most likely have done better had Enos been OC this year.

Enos is overrated.

jkstock04

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 09:57:51 am »

or. If they run for the fourth time and get stuffed again the criticism would have been why was something else not tried. Bama was not able to punch it in from the one yard line. They tried a different play that didn't work. Clemson was just better.
Some of this for sure. I found it comical in the post game how the players (and Saban I believe too) were giving zero credit to Clemson and acting like the whole thing was a fluke. Came off as pathetic.

That was easily the best team they faced all year and they weren't prepared for it going in. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 10:00:18 am »

Enos is overrated.
He is a legend to some on here..lol

jkstock04

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 10:01:26 am »

Absolutely horrible call. I think they should have settled for a couple field goals personally instead of going for all the 4th downs and take your chances. And lets not even get started on the fake FG call... lol
What...you don't think the kicker was going to be able to run it up the gut for 8 yards? (I believe it was 3rd and 7).

Lol talk about dumbass playcall of the season. Even if the OL holds their block at LOS there is still gonna be a wall of guys to beat 3-5 yards in. The kicker isn't gonna bull his way through that for an 8 yard gain.

If you are gonna do it at least throw the ball down field.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 10:01:43 am »

and how the hell does Alabama not have an elite pass rusher with all the talent they have on that roster..lol

AirWarren

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 10:01:51 am »

Some of this for sure. I found it comical in the post game how the players (and Saban I believe too) were giving zero credit to Clemson and acting like the whole thing was a fluke. Came off as pathetic.

That was easily the best team they faced all year and they weren't prepared for it going in.

Sore losers.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:40 am »

Sore losers.
it happens when youre not used to it..lol

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 10:09:20 am »

Nick Saban probably does his best to not get his team to listen and buy into the love-fest Bama gets throughout the year, but with a softer than normal schedule and little adversity, they emotionally were not ready for the adversity they faced. You could even see it some in our game with them. We frustrated them early with some big plays and you could tell because one of their safeties hit our player in the head out of bounds at the end of a big run, which should have resulted in a targeting/ejection. Instead, it wasn't called. Did Saban work with this player after the fact? Absolutely, but telling someone not to do that and it actually being punished in a game are different. Long story short, a Bama with many younger players was coddled, due to several reasons, this regular season and as a result did not respond well to a better team challenging them in the championship game.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 10:18:37 am »

This is accurate. The great Tua pulled a sponge bob square pants,"laid on the deck and flopped like a fish". Lots of misread RPO last nite, 4 or 5 plus a creeper in the box and he was lookin to throw. when the run was there. Sometimes it was successful, sometimes the shark he don't go away, and aww chief that terrible high pitched scream and and the water turns to red. I'll never put on a life jacket again.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 10:20:20 am »

What...you don't think the kicker was going to be able to run it up the gut for 8 yards? (I believe it was 3rd and 7).

Lol talk about dumbass playcall of the season. Even if the OL holds their block at LOS there is still gonna be a wall of guys to beat 3-5 yards in. The kicker isn't gonna bull his way through that for an 8 yard gain.

If you are gonna do it at least throw the ball down field.

The funniest part of that play was when Herbstreit even said “Clemson is set up for a fake...” then seconds later the fake came and got nowhere. Clemson was a step ahead all night.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 10:21:53 am »

Sore losers.
I agree, but maybe it's just from a lack of practice. Losing is not something these guys have a lot of experience with.

Was good to see. I couldn't help but root for Clemson. Every now and then you'd see that look of shock on a 'Bama player, that look that says "we cannot stop these guys." They were like the big bad bully on the playground that just pushed everyone around. One day a new kid showed up at school, walked right up to the bully and just knocked about three of his teeth out, breaking his nose all in the same punch.

That was a lot of fun to watch.

AirWarren

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:27 am »

I agree, but maybe it's just from a lack of practice. Losing is not something these guys have a lot of experience with.

Was good to see. I couldn't help but root for Clemson. Every now and then you'd see that look of shock on a 'Bama player, that look that says "we cannot stop these guys." They were like the big bad bully on the playground that just pushed everyone around. One day a new kid showed up at school, walked right up to the bully and just knocked about three of his teeth out, breaking his nose all in the same punch.

I was all for Clemson. I like Dabo and what he has built. Strong defense. Depth. And playmakers.

That defensive line was full of men.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 10:25:20 am »

Saban has done the fake kick thing before in a CG.  First qtr vs Texas fake punt and it failed.  Dumb then and the fake FG last night was even dumber in terms of how predictable it was and how they attempted it.  Big difference in situations too.  It was unnecessary vs Texas as no way Texas could put up enough points to have won.  Last night was desperation. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 10:28:20 am »

lets hope these incoming receivers are in the mold of clemsons..lol.. might make the play calling a tad easier.. lol

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 10:29:43 am »

;Ds
and how the hell does Alabama not have an elite pass rusher with all the talent they have on that roster..lol

That means several of their 4 and 5 stars didn't live up to their rating.  For bama to not have speed rushers is baffling

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 10:30:08 am »

lets hope these incoming receivers are in the mold of clemsons..lol.. might make the play calling a tad easier.. lol

Need the oline to improve before anything will get much better. 

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35:14 am »

He is a legend to some on here..lol

I lost all respect for him when he lost us that game in DWRRS against Dak. Completely mismanaged the end of that game.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 10:38:31 am »

Bama wasn't able to replace Evans from last year's defense.  They lost 12 draft picks from last year's team including 8 from the defense with both safeties leaving after Jr season. 

Jr's who left early from D were 1st R picks Fitzpatrick and Payne and 3rd R pick Harrison. 

Not sure we can conclude recruiting services were wrong. 

Maximus Tusk

• Varsity
  • Surfing the sky at Mt. Magazine
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 10:43:31 am »

You get the analogy of the day award!! Spot on sir.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 10:52:38 am »

Craddock earned his heat throughput the season, but I will stay on topic. 

Have to wonder how much of an impact Locksley's new gig at Maryland played into what we can agree was a horrid gameplan.  Give Venables his due for consistently showing one coverage at the line of scrimmage (whee Tua was making his reads) and then switching.   That didn't surprise me nearly as much as Bama NOT making adjustments at halftime, which has been the hallmark of many good Bama teams.   It was clear to see all the way through the first half that it had Tua rattled and confused. 

Another thing I noticed that would have mitigated the confusion somewhat... towards the end of the first half, Bama was body blowing the Clemson line with chunks of yards running and they were getting tired.  After the miscue on the opening drive of the 2nd half, Bama stopped punching.  While there is no argument that I am not foozeball espert, I think if they kept punching Clemson wouldn't have been able to stop them from scoring in the 4th quarter.  Even behind 3 scores, I think Bama could have made it a game. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 10:55:29 am »

Bama wasn't able to replace Evans from last year's defense.  They lost 12 draft picks from last year's team including 8 from the defense with both safeties leaving after Jr season. 

Jr's who left early from D were 1st R picks Fitzpatrick and Payne and 3rd R pick Harrison. 

Not sure we can conclude recruiting services were wrong.

To illustrate the difference in what Dabo had to replace from the season before, Clemson only had 3 players drafted from the 2017 team with 1 from the defense who was a senior.  Lost two 6R WRs.  And of course replaced his QB with a talent upgrade.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 10:58:50 am »

Need the oline to improve before anything will get much better. 
Hope and Heave... maybe one of them will out jump a defensive back or catch a bad pass one handed...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 11:02:49 am »

Have to wonder how much of an impact Locksley's new gig at Maryland played into what we can agree was a horrid gameplan.  Give Venables his due for consistently showing one coverage at the line of scrimmage (whee Tua was making his reads) and then switching.   That didn't surprise me nearly as much as Bama NOT making adjustments at halftime, which has been the hallmark of many good Bama teams.   It was clear to see all the way through the first half that it had Tua rattled and confused. 

Another thing I noticed that would have mitigated the confusion somewhat... towards the end of the first half, Bama was body blowing the Clemson line with chunks of yards running and they were getting tired.  After the miscue on the opening drive of the 2nd half, Bama stopped punching.  While there is no argument that I am not foozeball espert, I think if they kept punching Clemson wouldn't have been able to stop them from scoring in the 4th quarter.  Even behind 3 scores, I think Bama could have made it a game. 
for sure he deserves some heat... but sometimes it dont matter what you call if you arent equally or as talented as the team across from you. We saw it last night and all through this bowl season with some horrendous play calling.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 11:07:36 am »

Their only one pulled his hammy in Ou game.  He was no weight bearing till mid week a dnd didn’t play last night.  Their front 7 on defense is as thin as I remember under Saban.

presidenthog

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 11:23:20 am »

Tua is very very good. The issue is he plays football like most of us used to play NCAA 14. There is a pre and post snap read. He goes purely on pre snap. The thing is he is usually right. Last night they did a great job at hiding what they were doing. He never slowed down and did both reads.

howie76

• Senior
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 11:29:06 am »

The Clemson offensive line was the difference in the game. Bama never pressured and Clemson was also able to run the ball very well.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 01:31:43 pm »

All over the country, college or pro, the first thing fans want to grouse about is play calling.

It's as if you could take a bunch of slugs hanging around the bus station and beat 'Bama with some razzle dazzle play caller calling the shots.. that is pure idiocy!

If you don't have players who know your offense completely and can execute and have the talent to make plays vs SEC or Power 5 opponents, play calling can maybe cover up a few weaknesses, but it won't beat better teams consistently.

You don't necessarily have to have superior "talent." No way Clemson's talent is better than 'Bama's or if it was, no way it is THAT much better.

Clemson had a better GAME PLAN and at least close to equal players. Tua was in shock after he got deked on that Pick 6. Yes, he still had the deep TD to Jeudy after that, but that 2nd INT was a Casey Dick what was that? special.

I lost a lot of respect for him after he said after the game that his problems had nothing to do with anything Clemson did. That was bush and immature. They got in his head and make him look very average.

For those who think the recruiting rankings are the etched in stone be all end all, according to 24/7 composite rankings here are the last 5 classes:

2014/Alabama 1, Clemson 16
2015/Alabama 1, Clemson 9
2016/Alabama 1, Clemson 11
2017/Alabama 1, Clemson 16
2018/Alabama 5, Clemson 7

Did that show up on the field last night? Yes, Alabama is more talented overall, but the difference in the game might have been Clemson's SR dominated D line and 4 SRs on the O Line.

That O line did not allow 'Bama to get close to Lawrence all night. His mis-throws were incompletions, Tua's were INTs in 2 cases.

If you add up all the numbers from each team's recruiting rankings in the last 5 classes, here are the numbers for the 4 playoff teams:

Alabama: 1,1,1,1,5. Total of 9
Clemson: 16,9,11,16,7 Total of 59
ND: 11,13,15,10,10 Total of 59
OU:14,15,19,8,9 Total of 65

According to those numbers, Alabama was far and away the best team in the CFP and the others were very even.

'Bama's WORST class according to the gurus was better than the BEST class of ANY of the other 3 teams.

And Clemson beat the taste out of their mouths on the LOS the last 44 minutes of the game, outscoring the Unbeatables 30-0.

Alabama will still be the team to beat in the SEC and one of four favorites to be in the  CFP next season. Cracks are starting to show hopefully however.

I hope the Bammers are buying pitchforks and preparing banners and buying firenicksaban website domains because he will chafe at that. He chafed at barbs thrown his way when they escaped Fayetteville with a 14-13 win in 2014.

He has chafed at the ridiculous win-every-game-of-every-season-in-a-blowout attitude that exists in the minds of the arrogant 'Bama faithful several times. If they give him crap over this and is anyone betting some won't, what happens?

In spite of getting outcoached last night, Saban still makes them the favorite in the SEC nearly every year as long as he recruits elite athletes. Ohio State beat their ass in the semis a few years ago and they recovered just fine, but Dabo is not a heart attack faking con man like Urban.

Clemson isn't going down any time soon. Bama's national dominance has a pretty good dent in it. Clemson with 2 of the last 3 NCs is the new boss. Even if 'Bama wins next season, Clemson would still be 2-2 against them in NC games. Who wouldn't take that?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 01:36:42 pm »

All over the country, college or pro, the first thing fans want to grouse about is play calling.

It's as if you could take a bunch of slugs hanging around the bus station and beat 'Bama with some razzle dazzle play caller calling the shots.. that is pure idiocy!

If you don't have players who know your offense completely and can execute and have the talent to make plays vs SEC or Power 5 opponents, play calling can maybe cover up a few weaknesses, but it won't beat better teams consistently.

You don't necessarily have to have superior "talent." No way Clemson's talent is better than 'Bama's or if it was, no way it is THAT much better.

Clemson had a better GAME PLAN and at least close to equal players. Tua was in shock after he got deked on that Pick 6. Yes, he still had the deep TD to Jeudy after that, but that 2nd INT was a Casey Dick what was that? special.

I lost a lot of respect for him after he said after the game that his problems had nothing to do with anything Clemson did. That was bush and immature. They got in his head and make him look very average.

For those who think the recruiting rankings are the etched in stone be all end all, according to 24/7 composite rankings here are the last 5 classes:

2014/Alabama 1, Clemson 16
2015/Alabama 1, Clemson 9
2016/Alabama 1, Clemson 11
2017/Alabama 1, Clemson 16
2018/Alabama 5, Clemson 7

Did that show up on the field last night? Yes, Alabama is more talented overall, but the difference in the game might have been Clemson's SR dominated D line and 4 SRs on the O Line.

That O line did not allow 'Bama to get close to Lawrence all night. His mis-throws were incompletions, Tua's were INTs in 2 cases.

If you add up all the numbers from each team's recruiting rankings in the last 5 classes, here are the numbers for the 4 playoff teams:

Alabama: 1,1,1,1,5. Total of 9
Clemson: 16,9,11,16,7 Total of 59
ND: 11,13,15,10,10 Total of 59
OU:14,15,19,8,9 Total of 65

According to those numbers, Alabama was far and away the best team in the CFP and the others were very even.

'Bama's WORST class according to the gurus was better than the BEST class of ANY of the other 3 teams.

And Clemson beat the taste out of their mouths on the LOS the last 44 minutes of the game, outscoring the Unbeatables 30-0.

Alabama will still be the team to beat in the SEC and one of four favorites to be in the  CFP next season. Cracks are starting to show hopefully however.

I hope the Bammers are buying pitchforks and preparing banners and buying firenicksaban website domains because he will chafe at that. He chafed at barbs thrown his way when they escaped Fayetteville with a 14-13 win in 2014.

He has chafed at the ridiculous win-every-game-of-every-season-in-a-blowout attitude that exists in the minds of the arrogant 'Bama faithful several times. If they give him crap over this and is anyone betting some won't, what happens?

In spite of getting outcoached last night, Saban still makes them the favorite in the SEC nearly every year as long as he recruits elite athletes. Ohio State beat their ass in the semis a few years ago and they recovered just fine, but Dabo is not a heart attack faking con man like Urban.

Clemson isn't going down any time soon. Bama's national dominance has a pretty good dent in it. Clemson with 2 of the last 3 NCs is the new boss. Even if 'Bama wins next season, Clemson would still be 2-2 against them in NC games. Who wouldn't take that?

Copy this from your rant last night?

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:43 pm »

Pretty sure Eno's called the tunnel shovel.....haven't seen that all year and it was much ill advised at the time.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 01:46:52 pm »

Wasn't Enos making the calls. He is listed as AL OC and QB coach?

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 01:49:10 pm »

Super play calling?  The only thing that was superior...was that Clemson was NOT going to allow Bama to come to the line, read the defense, and then change into a play to expose it.  Venables gets a ton of credit for that. 

The only play calling snafu was Bama not running the ball more than what they did.  Early in the game, they were gashing Clemson, and tiring them out.  IMO, Saban has gotten away from what they were always able to do, which was possess the ball and use their superior talent and strength to beat the other team into submission. 

Clemson's play calling wasn't anything special.  "We'll send our taller receivers out there, and have our QB throw high, and make Bama prove they can defend."  They couldn't....at all.  When they weren't able to get any pressure from their front four, it didn't matter if they played two deep safety and zone, because they were just throwing over the top, or throwing high...and allowing their WR's to make plays.  You can't do that all night with a mortal quarterback, but that Lawrence kid's an alien. 

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 01:51:14 pm »

Wall of words

Yes Bama fans are spoiled and ignorant. The administration is not going to fire arguably the greatest college football coach of all time. Doesn't matter how restless the toothless masses are.

jjdlc

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 03:51:22 pm »

Nick Saban probably does his best to not get his team to listen and buy into the love-fest Bama gets throughout the year, but with a softer than normal schedule and little adversity, they emotionally were not ready for the adversity they faced. You could even see it some in our game with them. We frustrated them early with some big plays and you could tell because one of their safeties hit our player in the head out of bounds at the end of a big run, which should have resulted in a targeting/ejection. Instead, it wasn't called. Did Saban work with this player after the fact? Absolutely, but telling someone not to do that and it actually being punished in a game are different. Long story short, a Bama with many younger players was coddled, due to several reasons, this regular season and as a result did not respond well to a better team challenging them in the championship game.

I agree, Clemson was the first team that Bama faced this year that really challenged them.  Instead of stepping up, they folded.

oldhog63

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 04:03:37 pm »

I think you make a good point. How much impact did the loss of continuity and distraction of coaches on the Bama side have in both preparation for the game and adjustments at half. Saban is the one consistent, but the rest of the staff is a revolving door. They weren't able to just out-talent an equally talented and well prepared Clemson team.

311Hog

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 04:04:21 pm »

Their only one pulled his hammy in Ou game.  He was no weight bearing till mid week a dnd didn’t play last night.  Their front 7 on defense is as thin as I remember under Saban.

^this bama is pretty thing on D if you believe that i mean one TD was given up because it looked like the DB tore his achilies on the play.

Bama relied on Q Williams being a man child, hell you could see other Bama D players loafing I. Buggs looked awful most of the night on the edge.

I mean on some plays you could almost see 2 Clemson OL hugging Q. Williams but i am not sure if more than a single holding call was made the whole game, he was definitely being held though (wouldn't change the game outcome much).

To young and to thin on D to match up with that turns out to be an other worldly offense a real one, i mean Lawerence, Ross and Etienne?  just ran rough shot over them and the Clemson OL did just enough.

i really think the coordinator turn over bit Bama this year, it is such a revolving door there this past 5 years it is truly a testament to the program they are as good as they are. Clemson on the other had seems to be largely intact year in and year out. I think that was Venerables master piece, also any one else feel that the powers that be just brushed it under the rug that a Clemson DL got banned for an illegal substance? i mean taking steriods in any other sport would set up huge red flags about the program it almost seemed like the public at large felt "bad" for Clemson because they "lost" a player to this situation hell one DL had number 90 on his face.

lasthog

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 06:24:40 pm »

This is accurate. The great Tua pulled a sponge bob square pants,"laid on the deck and flopped like a fish". Lots of misread RPO last nite, 4 or 5 plus a creeper in the box and he was lookin to throw. when the run was there. Sometimes it was successful, sometimes the shark he don't go away, and aww chief that terrible high pitched scream and and the water turns to red. I'll never put on a life jacket again.

No problem, just a little PTSD. Friend got it in 'nam.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas