• 10,158,448 Posts
• 405,230 Topics
• 23,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I was wrong.......  (Read 3173 times)

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
I was wrong.......
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:25:44 am »

I am quite shocked that Bama was crushed........but I'm not unhappy it happened.....

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
Re: I was wrong.......
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:32:52 am »

I was sure hoping Clemson would nock them down a peg. Wasn't sure it would happen, but gratified it did.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldbooniehog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Testing...testing
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 06:39:02 am »

I love the sounds of Gumps crying. And the smell of grease fires in single wides in the morning.

LRRandy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:36 am »

Watching the talking heads on the sec network was just like tuning in to cnn the night Trump won the presidency. I never did catch Pawl and his back peddle act. I would have liked to see more crowd shots of Bama fans. The ESPN cameras only showed Clemson fans as the destruction was happening.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:50:26 am »

I am quite shocked that Bama was crushed........but I'm not unhappy it happened.....
The one glaring thing I saw in Clemson that stood out above Alabama was Team Speed.  That's all off-season conditioning.  Both squads were loaded with 5-stars.  Both squads have great head coaches.  Both squads played 14 games coming into the NCG.  One squad was clearly better prepared physically to face the challenge of a 15 game season.

bigmac3378

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:06:00 am »

How about consistency? The turnover of Alabama assistants and coordinators has to play a role in the loss as well.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 07:13:05 am »

How about consistency? The turnover of Alabama assistants and coordinators has to play a role in the loss as well.

The announcers talked about this and I was actually really surprised at how high the turnover was at Bama.

BigSexyHog

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 07:18:14 am »

The announcers talked about this and I was actually really surprised at how high the turnover was at Bama.

It's getting ready to start happening to Clemson.  Everyone will want people from Dabo's staff and try to bring some of that culture to a program. 

carolinahogger

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:24:08 am »

It's getting ready to start happening to Clemson.  Everyone will want people from Dabo's staff and try to bring some of that culture to a program.

I am glad that we have ours already.

kaiserhog

• Kaiser Willie I, A True Hog Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:24:56 am »

Saban is not easy to work for.

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 07:39:34 am »

Clemson obviously didn't miss their big, suspended, defensive tackle and I never expected them to roll over the Tide the way they did.  Frankly I thought Alabama was unbeatable and maybe one of the best ever.  Two great seasons by two very good teams.

And if there were any questions about Dabo's decision to switch quarterbacks that was put to rest.  If the Heisman voting were today the results might be different.

oldhawg

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 07:45:47 am »

And to think that fans were critical of Dabo after Clemson's game with South Carolina game because of lack of "style" points.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/dabo-swinney-threatens-to-leave-clemson-after-hearing-criticism-following-win-over-south-carolina/

Just goes to show you how fickle fans can be.  But of course not on Hogville.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 07:49:58 am »

Didn't they say that's what cost Bama a shot at Clemson's stud freshman receiver?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 08:21:53 am »

Losing assistants and players early to the draft catches up.  LSU lost more players early to the draft than any team in college football over Miles last few season and it caught up.  Bama has lost both players and coaches.  The thing is with Clemson though is Venables seems willing to stay.  Not sure what the HC job is to pull him away from his comfortable $2.5 million a year DC job. 

Bama missed their chance to do to Clemson what they did to OU.  248 first qtr yards to Clemson's 86.  Forced two 3 and outs.  3 big mistakes though left them losing and then Clemson figure it out - well except Bama's running game. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 08:25:02 am »

Didn't they say that's what cost Bama a shot at Clemson's stud freshman receiver?

From Phenix City.  Same town as Spivey and number of other recruits.  Good place to get inroads. 

Superhog1959

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:45 am »

Its really something to watch 2 great teams battle like they did. I truly enjoyed watching bama get whooped. They didn't just get beat they got whipped. I went to bed with little happies in my head.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 08:37:59 am »

What do you guys think will be Saban's response? Double down and resolve to beat TL and Clemson? Move on to the NFL again? He's going to have a really hard time the next two years beating Clemson.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 08:42:12 am »

What do you guys think will be Saban's response? Double down and resolve to beat TL and Clemson? Move on to the NFL again? He's going to have a really hard time the next two years beating Clemson.

He isn't going to the NFL again.

Just signed the #1 class.  Lots of players returning.  Will have the nation's top RB recruit from two different classes.  The secondary is coming back. 

He has to worry about not tripping up to an SECW team and UGa is going to be loaded. 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 08:44:21 am »

Speed and Height matters . Bama's DB never stood a chance.

ivanhog

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 08:48:22 am »

Alabama looked a lot like Arkansas last night.  Players standing around during plays on defense waiting for someone else to make a play, receivers jogging through their routes, that sort of thing.  They seemed to have a lot of quit in them.  I know its one game but it's like we're watching the beginning of the end.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 08:50:00 am »

Alabama looked a lot like Arkansas last night.  Players standing around during plays on defense waiting for someone else to make a play, receivers jogging through their routes, that sort of thing.  They seemed to have a lot of quit in them.  I know its one game but it's like we're watching the beginning of the end.

Heard this after Trevor Knight and OU.  Heard it after Cardelle Jones and Ohio State.  It will happen at some point.  Saban won't be there forever. 

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 08:53:40 am »

I believe Morris wanted Brent Venables.  I doubt we were willing to top 1.7 million for his services.  I believe Brent Venables will be offered $2 million by someone.  When Clemson can't match the cash or opportunity, they will leave just like Saban's did.

Hoggish1

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:54 am »

I thought as I watched clempson more as the season passed that they were the only team that could beat Bama.  Was glad it came to pass.

By the way, what were all those coaches doing on the Bama sidelines...?  LMAO

Oh, and didn't you just love the sorry SEC network coverage?

How 'bout Paul Finebaum's pronouncement that Saban was the best ever...

Boo hoo I'm so sad...

Hoggish1

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 09:05:16 am »

I believe Morris wanted Brent Venables.  I doubt we were willing to top 1.7 million for his services.

Why not?  The games is spend these days... 

What's 1.7 mil?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 09:08:44 am »

We had no shot at Venables because the DC job at Arkansas is a bad job.  Money can't fix it or override what it is. 

Superhog1959

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 09:11:40 am »

I saw a look on Sabans face I haven't ever seen before. Its one thing to lose a close game. You think about 1 or 2 plays making the difference, you play it over and over in you head. But to get a through whipping on the big stage, that's something hard to face.
Time will tell but I am wondering if Saban may have lost some of the passion its takes to be at that level. You have to have a passion for what you do. Money wont help, its got to be in you, if its not, time to move on.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 09:30:10 am »

Me too. Hats off to the fighting Dabo's.
Looked to me like the difference was the secondaries. When a team was allowed to do what Bama does on every play, which is hold and interfere, right down to the LB's. They couldn't hang. IE the truly stronger best coached/prepared team won.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 09:33:33 am »

Me too. Hats off to the fighting Dabo's.
Looked to me like the difference was the secondaries. When a team was allowed to do what Bama does on every play, which is hold and interfere, right down to the LB's. They couldn't hang. IE the truly stronger best coached/prepared team won.

Clemson held and interfered on several key passing situations.  The physical contact has helped Bama a lot over the years. 

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:34 am »

Clemson held and interfered on several key passing situations.  The physical contact has helped Bama a lot over the years.
So they "out Bama'd, Bama"?  Maybe if CBB had focused more on holding techniques than whatever else, things might be different.   

All kidding aside, Bama has had calls go their way (although not as many as some claim) and today they didn't.  Wouldnt have mattered, but there were some clear holding penalties right in front of refs that didn't get called.  Can't remember whether it was Jeudy or Harris, but there was a redzone 3rd down play where the Clemson guy was wearing him like a shirt from the line of scrimmage.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 10:41:47 am »

So they "out Bama'd, Bama"?  Maybe if CBB had focused more on holding techniques than whatever else, things might be different.   

All kidding aside, Bama has had calls go their way (although not as many as some claim) and today they didn't.  Wouldnt have mattered, but there were some clear holding penalties right in front of refs that didn't get called.  Can't remember whether it was Jeudy or Harris, but there was a redzone 3rd down play where the Clemson guy was wearing him like a shirt from the line of scrimmage.

Clemson DB was riding the back of Bama TE on one pass attempt.  But those didn't cause the loss.  B1G officials let them play in secondary for most part.  Saban does teach the physical play with the DBs and forces officials to make the call. 

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 10:41:58 am »

Turn overs kill.  That was the difference.  Bama got a stop early.....at one point of the game it should have been Bama 28-7. 

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:54 am »

Bottom line, The better team won. Clemson was better prepared, coached and given both teams are deep and extremely talented. Saban was outcoached. He didn't recognize early enough in the game that "It was game on" and they could get beat. Didn't adjust. IE Had no plan B. Was arrogant and thought they'd just come around and "Bama" to the opponent.
Plan B was right there in front of him and for some reason he kept getting further n further from it. Take what the D gives you. The run was there, their secondary was getting Bama privilege(game was being called the same for both). RUN THE FOOTBALL, kill the clock as my D can't stop em. Bama's weakness is their young back 7.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 11:28:35 am »

I believe Morris wanted Brent Venables.  I doubt we were willing to top 1.7 million for his services.  I believe Brent Venables will be offered $2 million by someone.  When Clemson can't match the cash or opportunity, they will leave just like Saban's did.

What makes you think Clemson canít match the cash. Now an upgrade to Head Coach at the right place for him is more likely.

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 11:32:16 am »

Its really something to watch 2 great teams battle like they did. I truly enjoyed watching bama get whooped. They didn't just get beat they got whipped. I went to bed with little happies in my head.

Maybe they should change their slogan to 'Rolled Tide'

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 12:18:48 pm »

This beat down could not have happened to a better team than Alabama.  I know next season that they'll start the season ranked either 2nd or 3rd behind Clemson to start the season, but nothing would make me happier than seeing the downfall of the Tide.

alohawg

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 12:27:01 pm »

Turnovers, great redzone/goal line defense, maybe poor play calls/execution by bama too multiple times, unreal poise by the fr QB, crazy good catches, all bolstered by a better prepared hungrier team equated to a blowout. That's what I saw. And Tua was hit and miss, off his normal game missing throws and failing to find the open man more than usual. Maybe the pressure got to him.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 12:43:10 pm »

We should have hired Venables. One of the best coaches in CFB. Will be successful where/when-ever he goes.

alohawg

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 01:17:53 pm »

jhogg

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 01:25:10 pm »

This beat down could not have happened to a better team than Alabama.  I know next season that they'll start the season ranked either 2nd or 3rd behind Clemson to start the season, but nothing would make me happier than seeing the downfall of the Tide.
agree 100%

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:19 pm »

pigture perfect

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 02:04:53 pm »

Clemson>Crimson

Hoginsavga

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 02:52:57 pm »

Turnovers, great redzone/goal line defense, maybe poor play calls/execution by bama too multiple times, unreal poise by the fr QB, crazy good catches, all bolstered by a better prepared hungrier team equated to a blowout. That's what I saw. And Tua was hit and miss, off his normal game missing throws and failing to find the open man more than usual. Maybe the pressure got to him.

I think Tua was beginning to get exposed toward the end of the season. He is a great QB but UGA had him playing a little out of control in the SECCG. Had Saban not put Hurts in UGA would have likely won the SEC. Tua didnít seem to play as well against OK as he did earlier in the season. When Clemson stromed him in the first half he appeared to lose some of his magic. Clemson has a great team and proved that AL could be beat. Maybe this game will help change the mindset of some of the Bama opponents going into next year.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:27 pm »

It's amazing how human Tua looks when he actually has some pressure in his face. The media was proclaiming him to be the next Tom Brady when he was playing terrible teams and had time to read War & Peace in the backfield. I give Saban props for actually giving Clemson credit for beating them. Tua and whoever the other player at the press conference with his head down refused to give Clemson any credit at all. Pulled the Cam Newton sore loser routine.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 03:07:53 pm »

I think Tua was beginning to get exposed toward the end of the season. He is a great QB but UGA had him playing a little out of control in the SECCG. Had Saban not put Hurts in UGA would have likely won the SEC. Tua didnít seem to play as well against OK as he did earlier in the season. When Clemson stromed him in the first half he appeared to lose some of his magic. Clemson has a great team and proved that AL could be beat. Maybe this game will help change the mindset of some of the Bama opponents going into next year.
he was 24/27 against Oklahoma.. what are you talking about..lol

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:40 pm »

I saw one play when the Clemson DB had a hand full of the Alabama WR's jersey, and it wasn't the back of his jersey but right in the chest area, the referee had a clear look of what was happening as well as the Alabama sideline and Saban especially.  Saban was like,,, 😢😭 and begging with the ref, it made my night along with the beat down that Bama took.  Alabama holds on every play, no doubt they are taught to do so, when it happens to them it just brings sweet justice.

Hoginsavga

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 03:25:09 pm »

he was 24/27 against Oklahoma.. what are you talking about..lol

Yep, the stats donít lie, lol. I was mostly thinking about the game with GA and the way OK came back in the second half. I suppose I have watched too many games and my memory got selective. Thanks

texas tush hog

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 03:47:36 pm »

It's amazing how human Tua looks when he actually has some pressure in his face. The media was proclaiming him to be the next Tom Brady when he was playing terrible teams and had time to read War & Peace in the backfield. I give Saban props for actually giving Clemson credit for beating them. Tua and whoever the other player at the press conference with his head down refused to give Clemson any credit at all. Pulled the Cam Newton sore loser routine.

Trevor Lawrence is the next Tom Brady. A real GOAT.

carolinahogger

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:20 pm »

He isn't going to the NFL again.

Just signed the #1 class.  Lots of players returning.  Will have the nation's top RB recruit from two different classes.  The secondary is coming back. 

He has to worry about not tripping up to an SECW team and UGa is going to be loaded.

UGA was loaded this year and got curbstomped by a mediocre Texas team.

Hoggish

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 08:25:43 pm »

Would you want to work for Nick Saban?

PigPusher

• Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 12:31:56 am »

The head elephant in Bama sure has a tough time saying they were better than them. His position always is that if the Bama boys did everything right they could beat anyone. Oh, but doesn't that really pertain to all teams?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas