• 10,110,468 Posts
• 404,024 Topics
• 23,071 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Clemson - Recruiting and Freshmen  (Read 2099 times)

bjbuatamu

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Clemson - Recruiting and Freshmen
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:07:35 pm »

Two points:

Don't tell me you can't recruit to Fayetteville....Clemson is a town of 16,000 in rural South Carolina.  Winning is what drives recruiting.  Period.

And don't tell me that a freshman can't contribute....Clemson just drove the field by a true freshman throwing to a true freshman.

Go Hogs!

Zen_Hog

Re: Clemson - Recruiting and Freshmen
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:16:48 pm »

Winning and culture fit. Exactly what Chad Morris is trying to replicate here at Arkansas. He sees the similarities.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogfan14

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:22 pm »

Clemson is close to a ton of talent on the east coast and not quite as much competition for it. DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant and Mike Williams all came from in-state.

With that said Morris couldn’t have a better model to follow as far as building a program. I almost wonder if the reason we scored so much on Bama was due to Dabo giving him a few pointers.

kaki

• Varsity
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:57:34 pm »

Two points:

Don't tell me you can't recruit to Fayetteville....Clemson is a town of 16,000 in rural South Carolina.  Winning is what drives recruiting.  Period.

And don't tell me that a freshman can't contribute....Clemson just drove the field by a true freshman throwing to a true freshman.

Go Hogs!
Not sure you have presented a comprehensive or even accurate post.  The Clemson/Anderson/Anderson County metro area is approximately 200,000 population in a state that produces significant talent and just across the border from the football hotbed of Georgia. 

247Hog

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:57 pm »

One of the greatest things i saw, besides the obvious size and speed difference, is the every player is bought in. Freshman to Senior they looked like ONE unit. Not a bunch of guys looking out for themselves. This is also taught at Army and i believe its such a big reason they played so well this season. I've seen the buy in with the incoming glass and have fought to bring in other talented players that will do the same. If we can continue and fans don't act like a bunch of jackasses every time so doesn't go well, we can have a relevant sooner than later.

247Hog

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:08:19 pm »

Not sure you have presented a comprehensive or even accurate post.  The Clemson/Anderson/Anderson County metro area is approximately 200,000 population in a state that produces significant talent and just across the border from the football hotbed of Georgia.

Rank   Metropolitan Area   Population
1   Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR   734,622
2   Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR-MO   525,032
3   Fort Smith, AR-OK   281,227
4   Texarkana, AR-TX   150,098

4 hours to Kansas City
4 hours to Oklahoma City
4 hours to Memphis
5 hours to Dallas

It has been done here. It can be done here. It will be done here.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:08:46 pm »

That’s bigger than Little Rock.  Lol. 

And to use Lawrence and Ross as an example of what freshman could do, well that just sucks. 

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:09:44 pm »

Clemson is close to a ton of talent on the east coast and not quite as much competition for it. DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant and Mike Williams all came from in-state.

With that said Morris couldn’t have a better model to follow as far as building a program. I almost wonder if the reason we scored so much on Bama was due to Dabo giving him a few pointers.
sigh

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:25 pm »

so, a 1/3 of the size of NWA. got it.

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:12 pm »

Two points:

Go Hogs!
i think after the class Morris has got people saw that we could receuit to Arkansas.  Usually it takes winning to get a class as good as Morris did.  But, he was able to get them to come because of a pitch.  A dream, that he was able to make them all see.  Morris was able to point to Clemson and say, hey, i helped build that!  He was able to say, i know what it takes to build a champion.   Recruits bought into it. They saw our top notch facilities, liked what Morris had to say and they committed.  Just wait until we start winning.  Which we will!

Clemson winning tonight still gives street cred to Morris.

247Hog

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:37 pm »

so, a 1/3 of the size of NWA. got it.

Come on man, you're messing up his facts!  ;D ;D

Hogswarts

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:16:47 pm »

And to use Lawrence and Ross as an example of what freshman could do, well that just sucks.

Are you really trying to compare the population of a metro area to one city? 🤦‍♂️

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 11:19:27 pm »

This again.

Look at a map.

Check the demographics of each region.

HogPhilosophy

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 11:33:23 pm »

Wrong. Clemson is in the hills of the blue ridge mountains, northern part of the state, just like Fayetteville. So no, they are not just across the border from Georgia. It's at least a 4.5 hour drive to the closest city in Georgia which would be Savannah.

Gonzo

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 11:51:02 pm »

Wrong. Clemson is in the hills of the blue ridge mountains, northern part of the state, just like Fayetteville. So no, they are not just across the border from Georgia. It's at least a 4.5 hour drive to the closest city in Georgia which would be Savannah.

Not going to get in the Clemson vs Arkansas recruiting argument, but you need to check a map if you think Savannah, GA is the closest part of that state to Clemson. Lavonia, GA (right across the state line) is only 35 miles away on I-85, and Atlanta is only 90 miles further. Pretty sure neither of those is a 4 1/2 hour drive. Charlotte is just slightly further the other direction. Much of Alabama and Tennessee are closer to Clemson than Savannah.

Go Hogs!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:11:41 am by Gonzo »

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 12:01:05 am »

Man, you really got that wrong

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 12:17:35 am »

4 hours to Kansas City
4 hours to Oklahoma City
4 hours to Memphis
5 hours to Dallas

5 hours to Memphis
6 hours to Dallas

And you forgot a big one. Two hours to Tulsa.

Supermark101

• Senior
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 12:32:54 am »

4 hours to Kansas City
4 hours to Oklahoma City
4 hours to Memphis
5 hours to Dallas

You drive really fast.

HogPhilosophy

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:49 am »

haha I definitely did. I swore Clemson was North East not North West

Either way.. continue on Gents

Rzback

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 04:42:25 am »

Build the program and they will come. Hope Otis is right about CCM building like Clemson.

HardingHog

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 05:00:49 am »

Two points:

Go Hogs!

I believe Arkansas can be great, but comparing schools is always futile because there's always several holes in the logic. Then that leads to the "Oh so we're just lil ole arkie saw??" kicking and screaming. I dont think it will never be "easy" to recruit to Arkansas. We do have several built in hurdles to overcome. However, if someone is a devoted and tireless recruiter (like I think Morris is) they can have success recruiting here and eventually make us into a habitual winner. Dabo has succeeded at Clemson because he has been able to overcome the hurdles they have at Clemson with his incredible charisma and work ethic devoted toward recruiting

In the case of Clemson, they are under 3 hours from the entire Atlanta region. I'd estimate that region produces as much or more talent than all of Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma combined. Given, at this point, Clemson has grown to where they are recruiting kids nationwide and not just their surrounding region.

Then when it comes to these several threads that state, "Clemson and Alabama have freshmen leading them... why can't we??". Easy: their freshmen are better than ours and better than just about anyone else's in the country. Lawrence would be the 1st QB taken this year if he could go pro. Underclassmen in Higgins, Ross, and Etienne would all also probably be 1st rounders if they could declare.
Can we get there one day? I sure hope so and I hope Morris is the one to get us there because I'd like to get there sooner rather than later

EasyRider81

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 05:05:51 am »

Have you ever left Arkansas?

Savannah is closer to Orlando than it is to Clemson.

kaki

• Varsity
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 06:30:21 am »

Come on man, you're messing up his facts!  ;D ;D
was not saying areas were equal in size or even that one cannot recruit to Fayetteville, just pointing out that Clemson was not some isolated little town. 

Adam Stokes

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 06:34:27 am »

For the "Arkansas is just as close to recruiting hotbeds" people. Just look at the difference between Fayetteville and South Carolina. Every SEC team outside of Kentucky has it easier than us.

https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

Adam Stokes

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 06:38:56 am »

Just because my inner geographer is screaming in this thread. 27 miles to the nearest point in Georgia.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 07:13:51 am »

If anything, CCM gave Dabo a few pointers. You realize Dabo has never called a play during his coaching career? He went from recruiting coordinator/WR coach to head coach. 

JackJohnson

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 07:34:03 am »

Clemson also has a school like South Carolina to compete with who can sign the Clowneys, Lattimore and Alston Jeffrey’s within their state.

Let’s hope Morris learned and can replicate from THE best college football coach in the country

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 07:38:34 am »

You can recruit to Fayetteville. It’s just not easy. Bringing out of state talent in is hard. Especially to somewhere isolated like Fayetteville

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:03 am »

You sure about that?

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:06 am »

For the "Arkansas is just as close to recruiting hotbeds" people. Just look at the difference between Fayetteville and South Carolina. Every SEC team outside of Kentucky has it easier than us.

https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

Did you just directly correlate black population with recruiting hotbeds?

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 08:00:30 am »

Sure seems that way

Adam Stokes

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 08:01:07 am »

http://www.profootballlogic.com/articles/nfl-census-2016/

Well, black players outnumber whites in the NFL 3 to 1, and non-Hispanic whites outnumber blacks in the general population 5 to 1, so simply by virtue of being born black you have an approximately 1500% greater chance of playing football professionally. I'm also assuming we need to recruit NFL caliber players if we want to be relevant in the conference.

So yeah, I did correlate black population to recruiting hotbeds, because they are correlated. You are more than welcome to find a white city in Arkansas that has a population of 5k like Warren but can still produce the talent they do at the rate they do.

Hogmatic

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 08:07:26 am »

i think after the class Morris has got people saw that we could receuit to Arkansas.  Usually it takes winning to get a class as good as Morris did.  But, he was able to get them to come because of a pitch.  A dream, that he was able to make them all see.  Morris was able to point to Clemson and say, hey, i helped build that!  He was able to say, i know what it takes to build a champion.   Recruits bought into it. They saw our top notch facilities, liked what Morris had to say and they committed.  Just wait until we start winning.  Which we will!

Clemson winning tonight still gives street cred to Morris.

I think you stated the case better than I could that Morris can use last night in recruiting and that is how it helps us.  I also loved to see Bama knocked off their pedestal.  A pedestal the SEC office has protected from Birmingham.

Redhogs

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 08:08:14 am »

4 hours to Kansas City
4 hours to Oklahoma City
4 hours to Memphis
5 hours to Dallas

Thank you.

Redhogs

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:44 am »

You can recruit to Fayetteville. It’s just not easy. Bringing out of state talent in is hard. Especially to somewhere isolated like Fayetteville
Houston... Houston?  Is that you?? Sounds just like you.

Hoggish1

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 08:10:45 am »

Two points:

Go Hogs!

True freshmen? LMAO.  Do you think those were just any two true freshmen?  The first time I saw TL play I could see that he had what it took to beat Bama—he's something special the likes of which has not come on the scene before now.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:30 am »

Clemson also has a school like South Carolina to compete with who can sign the Clowneys, Lattimore and Alston Jeffrey’s within their state.

Let’s hope Morris learned and can replicate from THE best college football coach in the country

Interestingly, this year Clemson has 0 of the top 10 recruits in South Carolina committed/signed (including a 5 star SDE). Guess they truly have gone outside the state now to sustain their success.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 08:39:14 am »

Huh.!? Clemson is surrounded by competition all less than 100 miles from their campus. You expand that to two hundred miles and it's ridiculous. They built that program, and many folks were in MMQB laughing out loud at the Dabo Swinny hire when it happened. I'm glad Morris is here, and I hope Dabo sticks to Clemson when Bama comes calling on him here soon...

PorkFromOrk

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 08:49:00 am »

Huh.!? Clemson is surrounded by competition all less than 100 miles from their campus. You expand that to two hundred miles and it's ridiculous. They built that program, and many folks were in MMQB laughing out loud at the Dabo Swinny hire when it happened. I'm glad Morris is here, and I hope Dabo sticks to Clemson when Bama comes calling on him here soon...

Dabo would be a fool to leave IMO.  He and his staff built Clemson into a monster.  Why leave that to fill possibly the biggest shoes of all time and have to deal with Bama fans who want you gone if you go more than a year or two without winning it all?  I know he is a Bama alum and that means a lot but I just don’t see it.

On a more selfish note, I don’t want Dabo to go to Alabama when Saban leaves.  I want Bama to go through 3 coaches in 10 years and struggle to even win the West every year.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 09:27:53 am »

Im just glad we have some grown men coming to play receiver for us finally

ArkansasI

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:13 am »

Sitting in Austin this a.m. and drove around the Texas campus - it’s been several years since I’ve been here. The Campus is huge... impressive. However, it may be too big. I think smaller campuses - like ours and Clemson’s - have to be attractive to recruits.

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 10:57:31 am »

THis has been analyzed before. Clemson is closer to the ATL hotbed than we are to DFW.  The football talent that South Carolina produces even when split between two schools is superior to the Arkansas talent.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:31 am »

Sitting in Austin this a.m. and drove around the Texas campus - it’s been several years since I’ve been here. The Campus is huge... impressive. However, it may be too big. I think smaller campuses - like ours and Clemson’s - have to be attractive to recruits.
Its keeps the women in a more condensed area. And ultimately that's what really drives the recruiting.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 01:53:17 pm »

LOL... You should talk... 

My favorite part of the "Clemson can't turn around without tripping over a 5* who want's to play there" lie is when y'all said there was no real competition near them for recruits. UNC, NCState, USC, WVU, Virginia, UGA, GATech, Auburn, Bama, UF, Tennessee, Duke, Wake Forest etc... All of which are FCS power 5 programs...  Even with the talent rich environment they only had 1 natty before Dabo, and they were in deep doo doo when they hired him.
 Sadly though, it just doesn't make a damn bit of difference to the "Poor wittle Arkiesaw" crowd. If you are too scared to believe just shut up about it and quit waiting to pounce on potentially bad news like you're some kind of great thinker... You're not, y'all are a bunch of poor mouthing haters who eat Tum's by the tub because you didn't move out of the way when life took a big o'l dump on your dream once upon a time.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 02:02:25 pm »

True freshmen? LMAO.  Do you think those were just any two true freshmen?  The first time I saw TL play I could see that he had what it took to beat Bama—he's something special the likes of which has not come on the scene before now.

That's it.... I'm calling B.S...! 

Post a link to 1 (one) single, solitary post you made about Trevor Lawrence and Clemson, before yesterday, that said they even had a chance in this game for me. I haven't been on the board but once in a week either, so you could possibly shut me up, but I have a hunch that you can't show even 1 post; that hasn't been modified that is...  ;)

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 02:37:27 pm »

LOL... You should talk... 

My favorite part of the "Clemson can't turn around without tripping over a 5* who want's to play there" lie is when y'all said there was no real competition near them for recruits. UNC, NCState, USC, WVU, Virginia, UGA, GATech, Auburn, Bama, UF, Tennessee, Duke, Wake Forest etc... All of which are FCS power 5 programs...  Even with the talent rich environment they only had 1 natty before Dabo, and they were in deep doo doo when they hired him.
 Sadly though, it just doesn't make a damn bit of difference to the "Poor wittle Arkiesaw" crowd. If you are too scared to believe just shut up about it and quit waiting to pounce on potentially bad news like you're some kind of great thinker... You're not, y'all are a bunch of poor mouthing haters who eat Tum's by the tub because you didn't move out of the way when life took a big o'l dump on your dream once upon a time.

Just because a program is power 5 doesn't mean they are competition for recruits.

Clemson has been the better and more powerful program in SC for the most part with few exceptions.  UGa is certainly competition as is Bama, AU, Tenn, Fl and FSU.  GT, Duke, Wake, NC St are not.  UNC is an interesting program and can be competition in recruiting depending on the coach.  Mack and Butch are two examples and Mack is back.  Clemson is in a much better position to which to recruit than we are.  They are the Auburn of the ACC in terms of location, regional demographics, local environment, emphasis on football and facilities.

Clemson was not in deep doo doo.  They were coming off a 9 win season following back to back 8 win seasons and were ranked in the top 10.  Bowden was underachieving.  But they weren't a major rebuild.

Arkansas is not poor compared to the most of college football.  We should outrecruit 80% and have sometimes.  Morris is doing so.  What we are not is a program in a good location for recruiting with the elites. 

isavedjazz

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 02:39:39 pm »

THis has been analyzed before. Clemson is closer to the ATL hotbed than we are to DFW.  The football talent that South Carolina produces even when split between two schools is superior to the Arkansas talent.

Ding ding ding

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 12:01:51 pm »

4 hours to Kansas City
4 hours to Oklahoma City
4 hours to Memphis
5 hours to Dallas

And Clemson is close to Atlanta and Charlotte. And the other close areas have more population than the relative same distance. The east coast states have much more population concentrated than the ones close to where Fayetteville is. And by the way I live in Memphis and go to games in Fayetteville and it takes about 5 hours to drive it not 4.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:17:03 pm by Inhogswetrust »

The Boar War

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 12:28:41 pm »

An important point when comparing Arkansas and any other non traditional program that’s become a powerhouse (outside of the SEC West) is “Were they given an opportunity to build their foundation?”.  It’s really hard to foster a winning culture when your inexperienced team is getting beat by 20-30 points every weekend.  Clemson had a vacuum where it’s conference powers (FSU and Miami) were down for a good four years.  Virginia Tech was the other power but they weren’t contending for national championships.  I just don’t see a situation like that presenting itself for Arkansas.  At some point we have to gain some traction to move forward.  We have to be good but another team also has to fall back.

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 02:52:18 pm »

Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson Metro population is 895,000.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas