• 10,154,426 Posts
• 405,149 Topics
• 23,127 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unsigned Arkansas commit Adonis Otey Taking Visits  (Read 4804 times)

PORKULATOR

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
Re: Unsigned Arkansas commit Adonis Otey Taking Visits
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:15:25 pm »

We're looking for CBs... he should just come the hell on.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RedRock

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:27:35 pm »

No excuses. It's on Morris to close the deal.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:24 pm »

Out of the DBs we have this class, he is the one we can afford to lose. We signed our top corners.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 12:21:36 am »

What's the deal with him, anyway? This whole episode has been weird.

Pigs in Zen

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 01:51:44 am »

You seem to have this repeating motif, please explain?

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 02:04:28 am »

Basically what he's saying is that Morris needs to get on the phone and say what needs to be said to get him to sign and verbally recommit to Arkansas. He's responsible for closing the deal on all recruiting targets.

ifghog

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:50:28 am »

Morris has closed strong and got almost everyone of their top targets.. you will not get them all. Sounds like the kid is star struck with USC. Let him go. Morris gave hin the green light to check it out....Morris is doing just fine. Your no excuses is laughable. 

BigSexyHog

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:20:43 am »

Morris has closed strong and got almost everyone of their top targets.. you will not get them all. Sounds like the kid is star struck with USC. Let him go. Morris gave hin the green light to check it out....Morris is doing just fine. Your no excuses is laughable. 

+1

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:27 am »

Basically what he's saying is that Morris needs to get on the phone and say what needs to be said to get him to sign and verbally recommit to Arkansas. He's responsible for closing the deal on all recruiting targets.

Which is what he has already done on quite a few 4-stars this year. Who cares if he misses on one? He outperformed even our higher expectations with this recruiting class, so let this one go.

Hogmatic

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 08:08:45 am »

Out of the DBs we have this class, he is the one we can afford to lose. We signed our top corners.

Don't bring fact and reason into Hogville

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:08 am »

Kidnapping is still illegal. Other than that, the player still has a choice

PorkBilly

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 08:28:56 am »

Boom.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 08:33:08 am »

I don't know why that comment looks so stupid, classless, un-thoughful and over-all crappy; but it does.... Did the guy not close one helluva class so far.!? If the player bolts, he bolts... Nothing to "excuse"... Sheesh.!!

tbhogfan

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 08:48:07 am »

It's 2019.  Houston Nutt isn't our coach anymore.  A 3* CB isn't going to make or break our class.

snf6278

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 09:02:31 am »

I thought I saw that his dad wanted him to take other visits just to be sure. My understanding is he is solid to Arkansas but his dad is the one pushing the visits. I thought I had read that on here from one of the recruiting gurus.

jackflash

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:32 am »

let him visit other schools doesn't mean he not coming

HogsInaBlanket

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 12:31:40 pm »

how the heck do people think it's just ok to lose highly rated recruits like we don't need them?? how arrogant. you don't build powerhouse programs by losing your commits at the end of the year and saying "oh we don't need that guy" that's ridiculous considering we did need the guy before he decided to take visits lol

imtad16

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 12:41:55 pm »

I thought I saw that his dad wanted him to take other visits just to be sure. My understanding is he is solid to Arkansas but his dad is the one pushing the visits. I thought I had read that on here from one of the recruiting gurus.

Yes, this is what Dudley Dawson said on the Bo Mattingly Show. LA would be a nice free visit. Honestly, though anytime a recruit that has good offers that we still want goes to visit USC it has to make you a bit nervous. However, Our staff has a much better relationship (longer), we have a good friend and teammate on campus, and then Pulley just declared for the draft so that is more opportunity (immediate) to dangle in front of him. At this point, I bet he still ends up here.

Seebs

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 12:47:09 pm »

As he said he would. Like my wife tells me when I clean up around the house after myself 'This isn't news'.

ricepig

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 01:04:02 pm »

how the heck do people think it's just ok to lose highly rated recruits like we don't need them?? how arrogant. you don't build powerhouse programs by losing your commits at the end of the year and saying "oh we don't need that guy" that's ridiculous considering we did need the guy before he decided to take visits lol

Still wanting him, and losing a recruit that torpedoes your whole class are two different things. We signed higher rated DB's, and hope to sign Catalon. Otey is probably a nickel DB, not that we don't need those, but if you were to lose one out of the class, he hurts the least.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 01:44:06 pm »

Which is what he has already done on quite a few 4-stars this year. Who cares if he misses on one? He outperformed even our higher expectations with this recruiting class, so let this one go.

Don’t reply to me, reply to the other guy. I was just explaining his position.

I really don’t care one way or another.

Hawgphat

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 01:53:21 pm »

The only one who is empowered to close any deal is Adonis Otey.  In the end, he'll do as he pleases, -  regardless of anything Morris - or anyone else -  may or may not do.

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:33 pm »

I was replying to the idea. You were the next person in chronological order that referenced the idea, so I replied to you.

Pigs in Zen

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 02:16:42 pm »

Just a heads up, that wasn’t even remotely the question that I was asking... I was asking the other poster a very specific question. Thanks though... 👍🏼

isavedjazz

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 02:35:17 pm »

Yea he gone

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 02:36:04 pm »

Wow, what a great idea! Hope somebody lets Coach know. Man, yeah, sure hope he thinks to do that...

Duh...

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 03:20:03 pm »

Just a heads up, that wasn’t even remotely the question that I was asking... I was asking the other poster a very specific question. Thanks though... 👍🏼

Kinda ironic that he explained a post to someone after not understanding their post.

Pigs in Zen

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 03:35:05 pm »

I think he meant that he was "explaining" RedRock's post to you since you didn't "understand" his motif. Kinda ironic that he explained a post to someone after not understanding their post.

I though it was odd, but it was late.... I simply wanted to know why RedRock keeps beating this “No excuses” drum in his many posts?  As if anyone who is a casual fan isn’t aware of the last 7 years and the various degrees of roster/recruiting mismanagement that the football program had endured under the last three regimes. No matter what, someone had to come into this program, correct the problems to move forward and be competitive.

I would much rather this current Staff be successful NOW, instead of continuing this spiral to obscurity while waiting on “their” guy to be the coach. I don’t get the constant negativity, it’s a miserable way to live in my opinion.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 03:42:34 pm »

https://n.rivals.com/news/unsigned-arkansas-commit-adonis-otey-drawing-major-interest

That isn't new. He said that when he chose not to sign early. There was an article from the newspaper that covers that school saying he decided he and his dad would take the visits since they were free. So this is something Arkansas has known since mid December.

Hawgphat

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 04:53:56 pm »

That isn't new. He said that when he chose not to sign early. There was an article from the newspaper that covers that school saying he decided he and his dad would take the visits since they were free. So this is something Arkansas has known since mid December.

Thanks, Otis.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 05:01:12 pm »

Isn't this the kid with something like a 4.8 40 time?  I seem to recall many being concerned about it.  Usually that's followed by the whole "We backed off him." stuff.

AugustaHog

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 05:28:42 pm »

Isn't this the kid with something like a 4.8 40 time?  I seem to recall many being concerned about it.  Usually that's followed by the whole "We backed off him." stuff.
I'm not sure if the 40 was that bad or not, but he did get burned at some Rivals event.  He was a really high 4 star, I believe.  After that event, his ratings dropped and he seemed to have his list narrowed for him.  The analysts stated that speed was an issue.  He's a good get regardless, and we definitely want him.  If he goes elsewhere, it will be because he chose to do so.  I'm glad that Knox is signed already.  I never got the vibe that they were a package, but you don't want second thoughts creeping in because a buddy was looking around.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 05:43:58 pm »

Yeah this isn't news.  If everyone wants to get their panties in a wad it should've happened back when he announced he wasn't signing and going to take visits back in Dec.

I don't think he signs with the hogs.

imtad16

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 05:55:25 pm »

Yeah this isn't news.  If everyone wants to get their panties in a wad it should've happened back when he announced he wasn't signing and going to take visits back in Dec.

I don't think he signs with the hogs.

Trey Knox has said Otey will still sign with us (If he didn't feel good about it, I doubt he would say anything). When the recruiting writers speak to it they sound like they like our chances of him signing with us. Until the writers start changing their tune or Otey de-commits, I think he will sign with us.

Earth Hog Fan

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 06:11:13 pm »

Well Goober said he didn't care one way or another but Adonis Otey  has 9 SEC and 16 power 5 team offers and he chooses Arkansas over them all, oh and he is a ESPN 4 Star, and wants to be a Razorback, he will sign with Arkansas.

GO HOGS!

gaylen54

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville Lurker since 2011, Hog fan since 1954
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 07:05:48 pm »

How quickly some of us forget. Now we're getting all cocky. "Yeah we don't need him."  New players don't need to get too full of themselves either until after they play their first SEC game.  😏

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »

I didn't say the hogs don't need him.  The problem I see is his dad getting in late and wanting to take trips.  Sounds just like the basketball player that ended up at MStake.

I just don't buy the 'free trips' stuff.  I can't say what I really think cause it will be deleted.

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 07:39:43 pm »

let him visit other schools doesn't mean he not coming
I honestly dont know the answer to this question but I wonder what percentage of recruits who are verbal commitments to a school and then DONT sign on the first signing day and say they are still committed but start taking more visits actually go to the school they originally committed to?

I mean Hudson Henry didnt sign during the first period but he isnt taking new visits and wanted to have his whole family there when he signs.   

But players like Otey it seems most likely dont go where they originally committed but I dont know what the actual percentage is.  The article flat out says that he is working hard to build a relationship with the USC coaches.   I cannot see how this can be a good thing.  But from what I read in this thread, its no big deal to lose him.  Personally it seems to me that as far behind as we are in stockpiling talent and depth compared to other SEC schools, losing him would be a big deal, but I dont follow the actual kids as closely as many on here do, so maybe it really is no big deal.  One thing is for sure.  We cannot stop him from taking visits.  Got to hope he sees the schools and still thinks ARK is a good fit for him.

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:46 pm »

Well Goober said he didn't care one way or another but Adonis Otey  has 9 SEC and 16 power 5 team offers and he chooses Arkansas over them all, oh and he is a ESPN 4 Star, and wants to be a Razorback, he will sign with Arkansas.

GO HOGS!

I hope you are spot on.  I really do.  We need all the talent we can get. 

ricepig

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 07:44:18 pm »

GO HOGS!

I hope he signs with us, but he couldn't sign with several of those 9 SEC offers, they've filled up their spots at his position.

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:53 pm »

Trey Knox has said Otey will still sign with us (If he didn't feel good about it, I doubt he would say anything). When the recruiting writers speak to it they sound like they like our chances of him signing with us. Until the writers start changing their tune or Otey de-commits, I think he will sign with us.
well that is a good sign.  However I bet if he knew that things were turning, I doubt he would say much.  But heck, I will take him at his word and hope Trey is right. 

The dad getting involved like he has is troubling.  You just know that USC (and other schools who thought they had lost him) called his dad and were playing up the 2-10 record and "do you really want your son going to play for a program who looked like they looked the last 2 games getting outscored 90-6 and the players trying to hook up with other teams cheerleaders before the game?" 

Thats why I really respect a kid like KJ Jefferson who could have jumped ship and gone somewhere else.  He is in the top 200 players in the whole country, but he stayed true to ARK and I really hope he does well.  I hope all the kids who werent scared off by the way 2018 went down and ended and they still signed their letter kick arse and have great careers.  They could have backed away but didnt.  That is impressive.

Earth Hog Fan

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »

I hope he signs with us, but he couldn't sign with several of those 9 SEC offers, they've filled up their spots at his position.

Rice, Adonis Otey and Trey Knox are from the same school and are best friends. I believe his Dad seen an opportunity for a free trip to California, why, maybe just to be with his son who is going away to college and perhaps they are extremely close.  But you are right, his options especially in the SEC are far more limited now and I honestly believe he still signs on February 6 and will call the Hogs.

GO HOGS!

aloha_kid

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 08:16:34 pm »

But, But, But ... the sky is falling.  LOL

ricepig

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:51 pm »

But, But, But ... the sky is falling.  LOL

The sky isn't falling, but you can be sure the staff is covering all of their bases.

RedRock

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 09:19:53 pm »

Morris is doing a great job recruiting, no doubt.  I am confident he will turn this program around. But we have been way to forgiving with terrible performances from past coaches. We are way to forgiving with mediocre performances from a current coach in another sport.  These coaches have everything....tons of money, facilities, and fan base.

It's time we force these coaches to man up and deliver now.  Deliver with great recruiting classes, deliver with hard practices, deliver with world class weight training, and of course deliver wins.  That's why i want to up the pressure and hold these men accountable.  If you can't deliver, move on.  That's why I say no more excuses.

Earth Hog Fan

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:55 pm »

Morris is doing a great job recruiting, no doubt.  I am confident he will turn this program around. But we have been way to forgiving with terrible performances from past coaches. We are way to forgiving with mediocre performances from a current coach in another sport.  These coaches have everything....tons of money, facilities, and fan base.

It's time we force these coaches to man up and deliver now.  Deliver with great recruiting classes, deliver with hard practices, deliver with world class weight training, and of course deliver wins.  That's why i want to up the pressure and hold these men accountable.  If you can't deliver, move on.  That's why I say no more excuses.

You are so right and spot on, I am in total agreement.  But now we have a different AD with new ideas, hopefully we will see him in action sometime in the near future.
But as far a Football is concerned, if we continue on the path we are on now, I believe better days are a head for us all.

GO HOGS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas