• 10,163,751 Posts
• 405,338 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogs performance in SEC over last 4 years  (Read 1318 times)

gchamblee

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Benched along with patience and reason
Hogs performance in SEC over last 4 years
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:36:35 pm »

This was tweeted earlier today and gave me pause. It feels worse than it is. This will make you feel good about our hogs,

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkBart/status/1082318613401473024

FineAsSwine

Re: Hogs performance in SEC over last 4 years
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:49:40 pm »

Welp, let me start poppin the popcorn. The show is about to start.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

gchamblee

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:02:14 pm »

Welp, let me start poppin the popcorn. The show is about to start.

? Did the link come up with something different than what I intended to post? According to that tweet we have been a solid number 2 in the conference. I wouldn't have guessed that without seeing the data. Made me feel proud of our bouncyball team.

Edit: Wait, is it because of who tweeted it? Is this dude frowned upon? I dont follow sports writers so I have no idea who the asshats are or who the good ones are lol. Apologies if this guy is an idiot and I posted his content here.

hawgsalot

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:12:45 pm »

It's solid no doubt and a couple more NCAA wins and most wouldn't be so quick triggered.  It's time we make the sweet 16, that used to be our annual standard 2 decades ago.  Unfortunately, that standard is long gone.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 05:22:06 pm »

? Did the link come up with something different than what I intended to post? According to that tweet we have been a solid number 2 in the conference. I wouldn't have guessed that without seeing the data. Made me feel proud of our bouncyball team.

Edit: Wait, is it because of who tweeted it? Is this dude frowned upon? I dont follow sports writers so I have no idea who the asshats are or who the good ones are lol. Apologies if this guy is an idiot and I posted his content here.

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=675035.0

Fan701

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 05:50:07 pm »

This shouldn't come as a surprise since some of us fans have pointed out too many times now that the hogs have been second only to Kentucky when measured by conference performance over a number of years now.  Somehow many of our fans either are unaware or, if aware, still dissatisfied.  I guess that's their right, and I do understand where they're coming from.  We've won with remarkable consistency, but haven't won big enough to be a factor on the national scene.  Still, it gives you pause to realize that with regard to recent hog basketball history it's not really a question of whether the glass is half full or half empty.  The glass has been visibly more than half full for a while now, just not full to the brim, I guess.

Ironhawg

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:03:26 pm »

This shouldn't come as a surprise since some of us fans have pointed out too many times now that the hogs have been second only to Kentucky when measured by conference performance over a number of years now.  Somehow many of our fans either are unaware or, if aware, still dissatisfied.  I guess that's their right, and I do understand where they're coming from.  We've won with remarkable consistency, but haven't won big enough to be a factor on the national scene.  Still, it gives you pause to realize that with regard to recent hog basketball history it's not really a question of whether the glass is half full or half empty.  The glass has been visibly more than half full for a while now, just not full to the brim, I guess.

The winning under MA has definitely improved from the Pelphrey era and that is great, but how many times have we finished the season ranked?  How many times have we beaten ranked, nationally recognized teams?  How many times have we won the SEC regular season?  How many times have we won the SEC tournament?  How many times have we been to the Sweet 16?  Do I expect to win all those things every year?  No sir, but I'm struggling to remember us winning any of those things during Mike's era.   I'm enjoying the winning, but I sure would like to see them step up to that next level.

revolution

• Hogvillian
  • Change is inevitable; growth is optional.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 06:05:07 pm »

I agree that if MA had more tournament success, then the overall perception of fans and national media would be universally positive. But it's tough to go so long without winning a couple of tournament games.

I think MA gets this year and one more to make a Sweet 16. That's 9 years? If he can't get it done in that timeframe, then why should fans, recruits, etc. ever believe that he can?

GO HOGS!

Breems

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:16:42 pm »

We've been served a nice meal. Just need a little dessert in the Big Dance eventually.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:18:53 pm »

I think Bart is trolling JB

This second best record in SEC has been discussed.

gchamblee

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 06:22:23 pm »

This wasn't intended to be a CMA thread, but you guys sure are trying to take it that direction. This is why we cant have nice things. The point of this thread is, if anyone asks you who the second best team in the SEC is, you can now answer with confidence. I didn't know, and honestly it put a smile on my face.

Ironhawg

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 06:27:08 pm »

This wasn't intended to be a CMA thread, but you guys sure are trying to take it that direction. This is why we cant have nice things. The point of this thread is, if anyone asks you who the second best team in the SEC is, you can now answer with confidence. I didn't know, and honestly it put a smile on my face.

I'm sorry to have spoiled your thread by wanting something more.  Back to lurking for me.

checkraiser88

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 06:49:59 pm »

We would notice this more if we had a championship. Keep grinding!

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 07:25:27 pm »

Our program has become consistent. The foundation is strong. Our house has the first story. Now we just need to add another floor. I think the staircase is almost complete... And soon we'll be laying plywood on the joists...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 07:30:45 pm »

The winning under MA has definitely improved from the Pelphrey era and that is great, but how many times have we finished the season ranked?  How many times have we beaten ranked, nationally recognized teams?  How many times have we won the SEC regular season?  How many times have we won the SEC tournament?  How many times have we been to the Sweet 16?  Do I expect to win all those things every year?  No sir, but I'm struggling to remember us winning any of those things during Mike's era.   I'm enjoying the winning, but I sure would like to see them step up to that next level.
ehh we usually only beat 3-4 ranked teams a year, not really a big deal.

Smithian

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 07:36:57 pm »

I would have guessed third behind Florida. Arkansas has been a really solid regular season NCAA program, and even that rough year after Portis they rode Moses Kingsley to a solid 9-9 SEC record.

Am I only person who thinks Mike White is a so-so regular season from a very hot seat? Billy Donovan had a rough final season, but that was off a Final Four and four straight Elite Eights. Florida basketball has been a big yawn under Mike White.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 07:37:48 pm »

Our program has become consistent. The foundation is strong. Our house has the first story. Now we just need to add another floor. I think the staircase is almost complete... And soon we'll be laying plywood on the joists...
I hope free throws aren't bricks... 

Fan701

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 07:44:36 pm »

I would have guessed third behind Florida. Arkansas has been a really solid regular season NCAA program, and even that rough year after Portis they rode Moses Kingsley to a solid 9-9 SEC record.

Am I only person who thinks Mike White is a so-so regular season from a very hot seat? Billy Donovan had a rough final season, but that was off a Final Four and four straight Elite Eights. Florida basketball has been a big yawn under Mike White.

Yeah, they've got to be longing for Billy Donovan in Gainesville.  What a tough act to follow!

ShadowHawg

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:19 pm »

It's solid no doubt and a couple more NCAA wins and most wouldn't be so quick triggered.  It's time we make the sweet 16, that used to be our annual standard 2 decades ago.  Unfortunately, that standard is long gone.

?
Day and Mayberry only played in 2 Sweet 16s.

I think Nolan only made the Sweet 16 a total of 6 times here.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 09:03:42 pm »

When putting these idiots in their place donít under sell the accomplishments of previous teams. Day and Mayberry's two Sweet 16ís  were an Elite 8 and a Final 4. 2 more of Nolanís Sweet 16ís were a Championship and a Final. I am as big of a Mike supporter as there is but it is time for him to move it to the next level or hand it off. He canít get through year 10 with a second round  being his best success.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 11:00:23 pm »

When putting these idiots in their place donít under sell the accomplishments of previous teams. Day and Mayberry's two Sweet 16ís  were an Elite 8 and a Final 4. 2 more of Nolanís Sweet 16ís were a Championship and a Final. I am as big of a Mike supporter as there is but it is time for him to move it to the next level or hand it off. He canít get through year 10 with a second round  being his best success.

It's not underselling at all. I responded to the assertion that Sweet 16 was the standard 2 decades ago. Just wasn't true.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 02:04:09 pm »

Just imagine if that far right column read 4-3.

Superhog1959

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 02:47:31 pm »

There are 2 games 2 years back that stick in my mind as wrongful games. KY and NC. We would have won both of those games if not for incompetent or crooked refs. If we win the NC game, who knows what could have happened.
I sure will take Mike after having to suffer through Stan and Pel. Even though I disagree with some things he does, its still better now than it was then. 

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 03:11:08 pm »

I agree that if MA had more tournament success, then the overall perception of fans and national media would be universally positive. But it's tough to go so long without winning a couple of tournament games.

I think MA gets this year and one more to make a Sweet 16. That's 9 years? If he can't get it done in that timeframe, then why should fans, recruits, etc. ever believe that he can?

GO HOGS!

Not breaking the Sweet 16 barrier is a major issue for Mike. Tournament success is how programs and coaches are judged. Texas a&m has been to 2 Sweet 16s and Florida has been to an Elite 8 in that graphic.

Fan701

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 05:29:00 pm »

Not breaking the Sweet 16 barrier is a major issue for Mike. Tournament success is how programs and coaches are judged. Texas a&m has been to 2 Sweet 16s and Florida has been to an Elite 8 in that graphic.
I definitely wouldn't make a trade for Billy Kennedy, not sure I would for Mike White either.  A lot of tournament success depends on the draw, and it's single elimination, so a hot team can take down a better team, as happens at least a few times every March and makes the tournament so exciting, especially in the earlier rounds with the annual "cinderellas."  Performance over a season is a much better mark of a team's quality.  That said, I too, of course, would love to see us go deep into the tournament.

MAGA45

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 10:16:55 pm »

Just remember this chart fans when you want Mike fired. Heís #2 convincingly in the
Last 4 years. 2nd most tourney appearances. WE ARE YOUNG AND REBUILDING. IT TAKES A COUPLE YEARS FOR A TOTAL REBUILD. He needs a lifetime extension.

RedRock

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 10:22:43 pm »

Agreed, time to evaluate an extension and raise.  Young team.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas