• 10,059,721 Posts
• 402,692 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DMAC Heisman Snub (07-08)  (Read 2820 times)

isavedjazz

DMAC Heisman Snub (07-08)
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:47:34 am »

Did yal know that Steve Spurrier left Darren McFadden ENTIRELY off his Heisman ballot after witnessing him tie the SEC record of 321 against his OWN team???

I was already pissed about his two-time snub, but I just now found out about the aforementioned information this morning (via Trey Biddy).

Lost the minimal respect I had left for Spurrier today. Overrated. Underachiever.

Wildhog

Re: DMAC Heisman Snub (07-08)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:37 am »

Yes, it was a major talking point back then.

And I really feel like he was only snubbed in '07.  Troy Smith had no business winning it over him.  Shouldn't have even been close.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

isavedjazz

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:59:52 am »

Yes, it was a major talking point back then.

And I really feel like he was only snubbed in '07.  Troy Smith had no business winning it over him.  Shouldn't have even been close.

Tebow was incredible, but he was a QB who led his team to a 3rd place finish in the East. McFadden should have two Heismans on his mantle

greasy_corner

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 11:00:26 am »

McFadden went for 219 and 2TD's and had close to 100 yds in kick returns against him in 2006 also.

Wildhog

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 11:05:38 am »

Tebow was incredible, but he was a QB who led his team to a 3rd place finish in the East. McFadden should have two Heismans on his mantle

Regardless of their record, I totally get Tebow winning it.  As you said, he was incredible.

McFadden got fricking screwed his sophomore year.  And there was the whole, "We can't give the heisman to a Sophomore" thing.  And then they gave it to one the next year.  And classification hasn't been an issue since.

isavedjazz

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:09:47 am »

Regardless of their record, I totally get Tebow winning it.  As you said, he was incredible.

McFadden got fricking screwed his sophomore year.  And there was the whole, "We can't give the heisman to a Sophomore" thing.  And then they gave it to one the next year.  And classification hasn't been an issue since.

“This isn’t a sophomore’s trophy”

**gives trophy to sophomore over the junior who just lost it because “this isn’t a sophomore’s trophy”**

UnknownNobody

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:46 am »

It is the 1964 and 1965 football season all over again. In 1964 Arkansas was undefeated including a Cotton Bowl victory over an undefeated Nebraska team. Bama was undefeated also and lost to Texas (whom Arkansas beat) in the Orange Bowl, but the polls ended after the regular season and of course Alabama was awarded the NC.

1965 they change the rules and begin including bowl games. Of course Arkansas and Alabama were both undefeated going into their bowl games and of course Arkansas loses the bowl game to LSU and Alabama is again awarded the NC.

In 2007 Dmac should have won but was told "we don't give the Heisman to Soph."  Of course the next year Tebow (a Soph) is awarded the trophy.

Wildhog

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:23:54 am »

“This isn’t a sophomore’s trophy”

**gives trophy to sophomore over the junior who just lost it because “this isn’t a sophomore’s trophy”**

Yep.  And have since given it to redshirt freshmen as well. 

Anybody

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:51:48 am »

The Heisman voting is flawed.  Spurrier not voting McFadden in the top 5 spots for points on his ballot is a TRAVESTY.
Very classless.   Also, influencing the press in Florida did not help.  He clearly steered them away from voting for McFadden, while promoting Tebow, pretty much a one-dimensional player.  McFadden could play a number of positions and was outstanding.

My brother-in-law, who was a defensive back in high school at a very respected program in a big city, said McFadden is the best college football player he has ever seen.  That is saying a lot because he is a huge LSU fan.

Also, a sports writer for Sports Illustrated picked McFadden as one of the TOP 3 college football players of ALL TIME.

I rest my case.

GO HOGS 2019 ! 

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 11:55:56 am »

Tebow and his 21 TD rushes of 1 yard

psychhog

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:59:02 am »

I totally agree with McFadden getting snubbed for Troy Smith. But Tebow was absolutely ridiculous that year and did something that had never been done before with 20 passing and rushing td’s. Also I believe Arkansas finished 3rd in the west that year didn’t they?

AlmaHog2011

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:53 pm »

Doesn't matter what we finished DMac was the best football player in the country. He was outright cheated by scum bag Spurrior leaving him off his ballot. Shame.

cpohog

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 12:01:42 pm »

Yes this was pointed out and discussed in depth back when it happened.

Spurrier was even asked by some sports writers why he did that. I do not remember what his answer was. But the obvious answer is that Spurrier is a Gator legend who coached there and won a Nat Champ there and he knew the only competition that year was McFadden. If he voted him #2 or #3 that could be enough to take the trophy from Timmy.

Just goes to show that no matter what award is being voted on by humans it will always be flawed by personal bias.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 12:02:42 pm »

We are talking about the guy who quit on a team mid year to "retire" because they sucked.  The team he recruited, he coached, they were awful and he gave up on them.  The Media did very little to call him out on it.  Spurrier is a POS, plain and simple.  He's a sore loser but at the same time will run it up on you when he can. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 12:04:55 pm »

He rushed for nearly 900 yards that season

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:07 pm »

Spurrier was even asked by some sports writers why he did that. I do not remember what his answer was. But the obvious answer is that Spurrier is a Gator legend who coached there and won a Nat Champ there and he knew the only competition that year was McFadden. If he voted him #2 or #3 that could be enough to take the trophy from Timmy.

Just goes to show that no matter what award is being voted on by humans it will always be flawed by personal bias.

I believe Spurrier  said he must have forgotten or something like even thinking about it now make me want to beat down that old man

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 12:10:06 pm »

Spurrier is a prick. A funny prick, but a prick.
The only way this could be justified if he ALWAYS voted for only QBs on his ballots. Being a ex-QB himself, I could see that.
But I don't know the answer to that, and I doubt that is the case with him.
If there is any coach who should have voted for DMac for Heisman, after 540 yards rushing in two years against him, it would be Spurrier. He saw it first hand.

Ever since 2006-07, I have lost all interest in the Hypes-man Trophy. You see the obvious flaws in the system. I refuse to watch it, and don't care who wins it.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 12:14:06 pm »

Not just McFadden, either.
One of my favorites is 1991. The year Marshall Faulk was on every highlight reel, every week.
But he played for San Diego St.
The Hypes-man Trophy voters, they who make up their own criteria, gave it to the QB of a highly rated team. Sound familiar?
Oh, my bad. I thought the criteria was the 'outstanding player in college football'. I don't recall reading you had to play QB for a highly rated team. Gee, I thought it was an individual award, and your team had nothing to do with it.
So, the voters gave the Hypes-man Trophy in 1991 to the Miami Hurricanes.
Accepting on behalf of Miami was their QB, Gino Toretta.

Another travesty. Torretta over Marshall Faulk.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 12:15:21 pm »

Doesn't matter what we finished DMac was the best football player in the country. He was outright cheated by scum bag Spurrior leaving him off his ballot. Shame.
The No Balls Coach...

isavedjazz

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 12:27:19 pm »

I totally agree with McFadden getting snubbed for Troy Smith. But Tebow was absolutely ridiculous that year and did something that had never been done before with 20 passing and rushing td’s. Also I believe Arkansas finished 3rd in the west that year didn’t they?

My point is that, IMO, a quarterback should be judged partially on their ability to lead a team to victory. Running backs, on the other hand can only do so much

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 12:28:13 pm »

Could it be that Spurrier is racist? Look at the three he voted for.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:59:00 pm by Hawggy_Style »

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 12:28:36 pm »

DMAC got shafted twice and I have not given a damn about the Heisman since.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 12:37:20 pm »

My point is that, IMO, a quarterback should be judged partially on their ability to lead a team to victory. Running backs, on the other hand can only do so much
This is kinda an irritation for me.
On one hand, I totally agree that QB is the most important position on the field. The only guy to touch the ball on every play.
Guys like Manziel, Mike Vick, Cam Newton...those guys pretty much 'were' the offense. They were incredible.
On the other hand, it sure seems to me that QBs get too much credit sometimes for their team's success. A QB who is surrounded by superior talent can 'win' a lot of games...but he is leading them to victory, or is the program that talented where they win a lot of games, making the QB look good?
I think people make this mistake too often.
Miami propped up Gino Toretta in 1991. Ohio State propped up Troy Smith in 2006. Those guys, without surrounded by great talent, were not that great.

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 12:37:52 pm »

DMAC got shafted twice and I have not given a damn about the Heisman since.
Me either!  It is really a popularity contest that has only a little to do with how good a player is.  So I just think of it as a beauty pageant for football players.  LOL

Little Lady Back

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 12:45:55 pm »

Spurrier is a prick and can kiss this Little Lady's Backside!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 01:02:19 pm »

Spurrier claims he only votes for QBs

AFWarrior83

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 01:09:54 pm »

Did yal know that Steve Spurrier left Darren McFadden ENTIRELY off his Heisman ballot after witnessing him tie the SEC record of 321 against his OWN team???

I was already pissed about his two-time snub, but I just now found out about the aforementioned information this morning (via Trey Biddy).

Lost the minimal respect I had left for Spurrier today. Overrated. Underachiever.

I heard about it on here back when it happened. I understand Tebow winning but not Troy Smith. DMAC will likely go down as the best running back ever at Arkansas with how the game is evolving. And to think we also had Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis in the backfield during that time. We were stacked but didn’t have a QB.

HogBreath

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 01:12:10 pm »

He shouldn't be allowed to vote on it, he's an idiot.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 01:46:17 pm »

The Heisman hasn’t meant darn for a long time, and it’s because of sore loser voters like Spurrier. Obviously ESPN would never do it, but there needs to be a 30 for 30 about how Spurrier began the destruction of the legitimacy of the Heisman award.

scaldedhog

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 01:53:02 pm »

Didn’t Spurrier say he didn’t even look at the ballot had his secretary fill it out?  Or was that a sec ballot?

gohogs1969

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 02:09:07 pm »

My nephew was just a little guy when DMac was a rookie with the Raiders. DMac was signing autographs at a NW Ark Sams Club. My nephew went up to him when it was his turn for an autograph and flat told him "I'll never watch the Heisman Trophy presentation again. You got robbed twice." McFadden looked up and him and got a huge smile and said your dang right I got robbed.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 02:23:30 pm »

If that could be verified (I would love to see all his ballots, though), then I would give him a pass on not voting for DMac. At least he would have voting principles he has consistently followed.

But as Ronald Reagan once said 'Trust, but verify'.

I want to see Spurrier's voting history.

Tejano Jawg

• Show me.
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 02:53:07 pm »

I understand how 2006 and 2007 turned out like they did, although I do NOT agree with it.

First, the quarterback thing…when Troy Smith was on the Heisman ballot, there had been a big trend in QBs winning it, including the FIVE previous years. He was the favorite late that season, pretty much all anyone talked about. Ohio State's success had as much to do with it—they were undefeated (including their run through the average Big 10), and had been ranked #1 the entire season.

Of course the team that is top-ranked every week is loaded with talent—great o-line, lots of skill position players. That's how you turn a good (not transcendent) quarterback into a Heisman winner. The angle from the press was pretty much "he's the number one player on the number one team." Combine that with the QB-voting trend, and Smith was probably an easy vote. Pretty weak reasoning, but think about it, how smart ARE people when it comes to things like this? The morons just followed the people in front of them. I doubt many of them actually sat down and thought about their vote.

Then came Tim Tebow. Like Smith, he was on a good* team—the defending National Champion. Lots of talent everywhere, with fleet running backs and receivers to spread the field, allowing Tebow to make his little runs up the middle. I will give him credit for this—his scoring stats. Those numbers were what won the trophy for him.

The stat/number game should be a part of the evaluation, but not the only thing. Did Tebow ever look spectacular? He'd drop back and hit a receiver (Percy Harvin) blowing by the secondary…okay. Or he'd run for 5 yards, 10 yards. (Did he ever have one run that took your breath away? Maybe, but to me they all looked the same.) And the stat propaganda was used against DMac. I remember Mark May, right after recovering from his Tebow gushing, would point out that McFadden had "a game where he didn't gain 100 yards." What a bunch of crap.

Tebow's numbers were too overwhelming for the voters to look past. However, how many people remember this—*Florida had FOUR losses that year (9-4). Guess that big "team" bullet point kinda slipped.

HiggiePiggy

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »

Not over Tebow. Had he had the same amount of rushing TDs then there could be an argument, but he wasn’t even close. 

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 03:49:09 pm »

Not over Tebow. Had he had the same amount of rushing TDs then there could be an argument, but he wasn’t even close. 

All of Tebow's TD were 1 or 2 yard runs. Means nothing. He was a media favorite.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 04:33:06 pm »

All of Tebow's TD were 1 or 2 yard runs. Means nothing. He was a media favorite.
Anointed...

LAHogfan123

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 04:40:52 pm »

Did you just become a Razorback fan or something?

HiggiePiggy

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 04:52:39 pm »

It means a huge difference.  Tebow had over 20 tds rushing alone.  So yes it makes a huge difference. 

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 05:39:01 pm »

Yes - I think we all knew that.  At least, anyone paying attention has been aware of that fact.  Dozens of comments about it here over the years.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 06:27:04 pm »

Yes - I think we all knew that.  At least, anyone paying attention has been aware of that fact.  Dozens of comments about it here over the years.

I have 3 grandsons, the two oldest are 10 and 5, the youngest is 2.  The two oldest both know it and in another year the youngest will as well.  And all three can call the Hogs better than half of our current wolf howling fan base,  :puke:

isavedjazz

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2019, 06:33:30 pm »

1. “Number” of rushing TDs, not “amount”
2. Terrible argument. He ran more in the redzone than McFadden did

isavedjazz

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2019, 06:36:59 pm »

Did you just become a Razorback fan or something?

I was a 7th grader in Mississippi. It was damn near impossible to get news about the Razorbacks outside of the Democratte Gazzette, which I obviously didn’t have access to.

HiggiePiggy

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2019, 07:04:19 pm »

1. “Number” of rushing TDs, not “amount”
2. Terrible argument. He ran more in the redzone than McFadden did

That is the difference in coaching. Urban made sure he got a lot of TDs in the red zone. Houston Nutt did not.  Over 4K total yards and 55 TDs is far more impressive to voters than 17 TDs and less than 2000. Tebow had more TDs in that one year than McFadden had in his entire career.  He also had more rushing TDs in his career than McFadden.

I will always agree that he deserved it over Troy Smith, but I can’t agree on him having it over Tebow.

Sow Lancelot

• Hogvillian
  • #NumquamDescedete!
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:40 pm »

IIRC, Tebow’s rushing TDs that year came on a TOTAL of 117 yards.  Most of them were 1-5 yards. Simply a fullback running the wildcat for most of his rushing TDs.

orvillesghost

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:09 pm »

There are a helluva lot more TV sets in Ohio and Florida..that played a part

Superhog1959

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 08:49:06 am »

I heard about it on here back when it happened. I understand Tebow winning but not Troy Smith. DMAC will likely go down as the best running back ever at Arkansas with how the game is evolving. And to think we also had Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis in the backfield during that time. We were stacked but didn’t have a QB.
Agreed. To me DMAC is the best Arkansas ever had. I have seen many. With the talent we had at that time, if we would have had a good coach, I think we win the NC. Nutt was so predictable, You new what was coming before it was ran, so did the other teams. Malazan was good, but when nutty took over it went downhill from there.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 08:56:35 am »

Not just McFadden, either.
One of my favorites is 1991. The year Marshall Faulk was on every highlight reel, every week.
But he played for San Diego St.
The Hypes-man Trophy voters, they who make up their own criteria, gave it to the QB of a highly rated team. Sound familiar?
Oh, my bad. I thought the criteria was the 'outstanding player in college football'. I don't recall reading you had to play QB for a highly rated team. Gee, I thought it was an individual award, and your team had nothing to do with it.
So, the voters gave the Hypes-man Trophy in 1991 to the Miami Hurricanes.
Accepting on behalf of Miami was their QB, Gino Toretta.

Another travesty. Torretta over Marshall Faulk.

Trivia question who knows the total number of lights in the Super Dome?

Gino Toretta courtesy of Gene Stallings and that Bama D lead by Curry and Copeland.

Superhog1959

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:05 am »

There are a helluva lot more TV sets in Ohio and Florida..that played a part
National exposure and population areas have played a great part in voting for awards and rankings. If you look at the top teams voted in every year they are mostly the same teams, regardless of last years results. I remember seeing Notre Dame loose a game and move up in the rankings. Arkansas starts unranked usually then gets into the top 20 if they win 5 or 6 and don't loose. Other popular teams lose a game and are still in the top 10. I guess that's the way it is, but DMAC got ripped off. That's not my opinion that is a fact.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 11:32:43 am »

Obviously will happen again.

Gonzo

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 11:57:53 am »

Sure. Whether you agree or not, it's certainly arguable.

Go Hogs!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas