• 10,151,108 Posts
• 405,092 Topics
• 23,124 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

Do you think Arkansas looks like a Tournament team this point in time?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up to this point, does Arkansas look like a Tournament team?  (Read 3483 times)

The Hogfather

Re: Up to this point, does Arkansas look like a Tournament team?
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 07:57:50 am »

We really need Harris to get to the rim and dish.  He has been settling for 3s and off balance shots too often.  Also, we have to get the ball to Gafford way more and we need Chaney to start being more consistent when he gets minutes, so he can get more minutes.  Having Bailey/Gabe in there basically means you're playing 4 on 5 most of the time from an offensive perspective.  When none of our guards are hitting their outside shots, we're effed.

HogBreath

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:55 am »

Do we want to peak at the wrong time? No...Ask this question the last week in Feb.

Well, don't have to worry about that, but yeah, exactly right.....we're built for that time of the year.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogs-n-Roses

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:30 am »

No. Can't see 7-10 more conference wins. With 7+ minits to go last nite we had 32 points. We are not a very good shooting team. Look very inconsistent to me. To many turnovers. I get, they haven't played much together but in my eyes I see the same team out there we've had for over a decade. Lots of tall rangy, lengthy athletes who aren't very highly skilled once you put them out there with the big boys. At the end of the day, they just don't shoot very good.

The Hogfather

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 09:07:27 am »

SEC is really tough this year and if we can't beat a shizzy Florida team at home, we're in for a long year.  I currently don't see any road wins.  If we are going to lose games to shizzy teams, like a Kevaugh Allen-led Florida team, we certainly could lose a lot of home games as well.

The Hogfather

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:32 am »

We might beat Missouri at home on 1/23.  We probably beat Georgia 1/29.  However, I don't see any additional wins until maybe Vanderbilt on 2/5.  Point is, I think SEC wins are going to be few and far between this season.

HawgTrough

• Senior
  • You better help that damn bear
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:32 am »

In no way, shape, or form.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 09:19:28 am »

No, this team looks miserable right now.  We saw glimpses of that in the last 4 or so non conference games when we struggled greatly to pull out a win.  Last night was the worst performance I've seen by a Razorback team since Lanny VanEman was coach.  Pitiful performance.

pigture perfect

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:19 am »

We are just so inconsistent. One minute it looks like we could beat anybody and the second half we could beat nobody.

HawgTrough

• Senior
  • You better help that damn bear
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 09:27:47 am »

We are just so inconsistent. One minute it looks like we could beat anybody and the second half we could beat nobody.
Florida should have won by 20+ @ BWA. But, they are short on talent and poorly coached. Mike White will be lucky to get another year

JenksHawg

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:30 am »

Yes, I think this looks like an NCAA tournament team when you look at all the pieces - big man, point guard, shooters, gritty workers, backups who can contribute.

This team needs to shore up some areas - free throw shooting, consistent rebounding, consistent good offensive decision-making, identifying and closing out on shooters.

This generally looks like an NCAA team, but the question is will the leadership provide for the needed development so that this team reaches its maximum potential?

I hope so!

"backups that can contribute"? Our bench scored a whopping 0 points last night.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 09:31:48 am »

We might beat Missouri at home on 1/23.  We probably beat Georgia 1/29.  However, I don't see any additional wins until maybe Vanderbilt on 2/5.  Point is, I think SEC wins are going to be few and far between this season.

Should beat UGa at home.  But they have a good frontcourt.  And beat GT by 11 at GT. 

Gafford, Harris, Joe and Jones are a good core.  They will have some good games and maybe a couple of great ones.  That is enough to beat some SEC teams.  The problem is the depth and how many minutes these 4 will have to play. 

The Hogfather

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 10:02:04 am »

Florida should have won by 20+ @ BWA. But, they are short on talent and poorly coached. Mike White will be lucky to get another year

Yep.  We almost were able to climb back in because they slowed it down sooooo much that it hurt them.  With the way we played last night, we shouldn't have been within 15 at the end.

OkieBack

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 10:16:22 am »

I voted no.  However, it is crazy to think how close this team is to being 13-0 or 7-6.  Lot of close games.

Because of inconsistencies and youth on the team...

NCAA = No.
NIT = Probably.

revolution

• Hogvillian
  • Change is inevitable; growth is optional.
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 10:58:37 am »

"backups that can contribute"? Our bench scored a whopping 0 points last night.

I still think the pieces are there.  There has just been a piss poor job getting the pieces to understand and execute.  Where is the action with Gafford at the high post?  Where is the screening action for any of our guards?

We just pass around the perimeter and look inside at a covered Gafford before putting our head down and driving into the teeth of the defense or taking a long 3 pointer. 

There is NO OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY OR PLANNING FOR THIS TEAM TO EXECUTE!  Here's our plan - look inside more, rebound better, gotta hit those shots, play with more energy.

THIS TEAM HAS THE TALENT AND THE PIECES TO BE REALLY GOOD!  The leadership of this group has been terrible.  And last year we were supposed to believe that Barford and Macon were too focused on their pro careers to keep the team moving in a unified and positive direction.  We ended with a whimper, but it wasn't the coach's responsibility!

Now we are young, and we look lost and we don't hit free throws and struggle running an offense, and IT ISN'T THE COACH'S RESPONSIBILITY!

In his 8th year, IT ISN'T THE COACH'S RESPONSIBILITY! 

HoopS

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:37 pm »

At this point, not yet.

Learning to close out winnable games is key. Heck, they’d be 13-0 if they could shoot free throws at a higher clip.

I’d love to hear that they’re filling the gym after practice and before breakfast working on making FT a bit more automatic. If they do that, as simple as that sounds, then yes. If they don’t, we won’t make it.
as I was saying.

solitons

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2019, 08:11:54 pm »

yes, if you can give CMA five more years!

Lol, no, we are not.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2019, 08:19:10 pm »

No. Way.  Next season should be interesting. 

jvanhorn

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2019, 11:12:24 pm »

Win these next two games at Home, and you'll be sitting 12-3 (3-0) going to the matchup at Tennessee. While we SHOULD be 12-1 right now and probably close to the Top 25, we can still recover....but it will take a great coaching job by Mike to do so.

Let's safely assume we lose to Tennessee, dropping to 12-4 (3-1), we have a 4 game stretch against Missouri, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Texas Tech. No less than 2-2 there and preferably 3-1. Let's say that takes us to 15-5 following Georgia, going into a tough game at LSU.

That's what Mike will need to do to get us back into the discussion. He has made a comeback like this before, it's just unfortunate we even have to. Let's hope he does it.

It will take a great coaching job by MA?   Holly Cow!  THE MAN HAS A 20 YEAR RECORD AS A HEAD COACH!  IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT HE DOESN'T HAVE A GREAT COACHING JOB IN HIM--WHOSE IS REALLY THE DUMB ONE HERE?  ONE YEAR IN MISSOURI HE HAD SO MUCH TALENT THAT THEY WON IN SPITE OF HIM.  SOMEOHOW I DON'T THINK THAT IS GOING TO BE THIS YEAR HERE.

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:11 am »

It will take a great coaching job by MA?   Holly Cow!  THE MAN HAS A 20 YEAR RECORD AS A HEAD COACH!  IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT HE DOESN'T HAVE A GREAT COACHING JOB IN HIM--WHOSE IS REALLY THE DUMB ONE HERE?  ONE YEAR IN MISSOURI HE HAD SO MUCH TALENT THAT THEY WON IN SPITE OF HIM.  SOMEOHOW I DON'T THINK THAT IS GOING TO BE THIS YEAR HERE.
CAPS LOCK key.  It's just over there to the left.  After a couple words I give up and don't care how mad you may be.

swineology

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2019, 12:57:57 am »

They need 1-2 more signature wins to solidify resume, and to help buff out the WKU/GT losses.

Best chances:

at Tennessee
at Texas Tech
at Auburn
at Kentucky

If they go 2-2 in those four games, go 8-1 in the league at BWA and don't lose to any of the garbage teams (S. Carolina, A&M, Georgia), they SHOULD get in.

I see 4 losses

Dominicanhog

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2019, 12:17:10 pm »

I see 4 losses

as would most, even before the last 2 games...

Dominicanhog

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2019, 12:19:35 pm »

They need 1-2 more signature wins to solidify resume, and to help buff out the WKU/GT losses.

Best chances:

at Tennessee
at Texas Tech
at Auburn
at Kentucky

If they go 2-2 in those four games, go 8-1 in the league at BWA and don't lose to any of the garbage teams (S. Carolina, A&M, Georgia), they SHOULD get in.

BTW, Mike good talking to you yesterday.. your in great shape for an ex big leaguer....

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2019, 02:44:12 pm »

In basketball,do they fire coaches midseason?

hobhog

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2019, 03:13:54 pm »

In basketball,do they fire coaches midseason?

Rarely. Doesn't happen much in college sports period that I can recall.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2019, 03:21:54 pm »

Steve Alford fired.  UCLA 3-0 since. At Or St tonight.

hogman64

• GO HOGS
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2019, 03:32:52 pm »

The most significant thing about this is not yes or no.  It is that the program
has come to this, in the 8th year of a coaches run as head coach the benchmark
is will we make the tournament.  So what if we do (and we will not)  we wouldn't survive the first weekend. The accepted thinking is  Anderson is better than Heath and Pelphrey so therefore he is the best we can do.  So lets pay him a ton of money and all keep up
the hope that we can somehow someway become once again relevant on a national level ( and we will not with Anderson)  The fact fans put up with this is why he is still here .  The jury is still out on Morris but as of right now we have one great coach in the top three sports and no one is putting a poll out as to if we will make a regional in baseball, its totally expected.  That is a good sign that baseball  fan base  expectations  have not been
watered down to basically nothing..... Hog  fans actually get benefit from the money spent on the baseball program and the baseball coaches specifically,  fans get basically zero benefits from anything spent on the basketball program and its coaching staff.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas