• 10,158,262 Posts
• 405,226 Topics
• 23,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Grad Transfer QB who can now be scratched off the list  (Read 4493 times)

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:53:10 am by Otis Kirk »

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
Re: A Grad Transfer QB who can now be scratched off the list
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:35:00 am »

This wasn't what most expected Jackson to do.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 10:39:09 am »

dang..

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 10:41:11 am »

I think hicks will be a razorback next season. Have thought that way since the middle of last season.

JackJohnson

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 11:35:40 am »

I think hicks will be a razorback next season. Have thought that way since the middle of last season.

🤢

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 12:18:11 pm »

KJJ/Noland or BUST, I say!

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 12:35:34 pm »

KJJ/Noland or BUST, I say!
If and until Noland commits 100% to football, I just don't believe he can be who we need at QB1.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 01:06:14 pm »

If and until Noland commits 100% to football, I just don't believe he can be who we need at QB1.

I agree. The amount of dedication and work ethic it takes to play any position at the major college level is daunting to any 19 year old, let alone a QB.

I don't think there is any way to accomplish that splitting time between two sports as a college FR.

It is different after a guy has established himself in one sport, knows the offense completely etc as an upperclassman as Russell Wilson did in college or Kyler Murray.

Just because one grad transfer QB decides to go pro doesn't mean that is not the best solution to our problem..

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 01:24:07 pm »

If Hicks is the best they can do then take him and see what happens.  He may set the world on fire or fans will have to accept that Saban was right and the Hogs have had a real 4* QB in Storey all along.

isavedjazz

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 01:36:31 pm »

If that were the case they would’ve pulled the trigger by now

Wildhog

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 01:41:48 pm »

If that were the case they would’ve pulled the trigger by now

Seems like he’s the fallback plan.

31to6

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 01:51:06 pm »

I don't know why people keep saying this. Players can and have played both baseball and football. Even QBs. Mahomes played baseball at Tech his first year (which would have been the baseball season between his FR and SO seasons). He did not play baseball the next year, but by that time it was pretty obvious he was going to be a top NFL prospect and entering the draft early.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 01:55:18 pm »

If Hicks is the best they can do then take him and see what happens.  He may set the world on fire or fans will have to accept that Saban was right and the Hogs have had a real 4* QB in Storey all along.
Really? What we have seen or not seen in 4 years is going to suddenly change in year 5? Yeah let me have some of what you are having.....or maybe not!

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 01:56:27 pm »

Hicks is not a good bridge option. One dimensional so how much more of the RPO can you install. If the grad transfer guy can’t get you to 6 or more why bother. Use the year to develop what you have. I’d look at Ty same way. If he has a decent chance to get 6 or more go with him. If not focus on CN and/or KJ

presidenthog

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 06:25:24 pm »

I would take lakia henry and Christopher russell over taking hicks. I would much rather continue to build depth across the roster than take a 1 year grad transfer that does not have NFL ability. I think you only take one over LBs if they have NFL ability.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 07:51:53 pm »

I don't know why people keep saying this. Players can and have played both baseball and football. Even QBs. Mahomes played baseball at Tech his first year (which would have been the baseball season between his FR and SO seasons). He did not play baseball the next year, but by that time it was pretty obvious he was going to be a top NFL prospect and entering the draft early.

So Noland is equal to a guy who KC traded up to get in the top half of the NFL draft and just lead the league in TD passes?

I don't believe in one-size-fits-all, that what worked for one guy will work for everyone. Besides, Texas Tech had other talented QBs.

Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb,and Mahomes were all there pretty close together if not at the same time. They let Mayfiled walk about that time. Who do we have that compares at QB to those guys?

The Hawgman

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 07:55:42 pm »

Agree

hogmolar

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 07:58:34 pm »

Hicks is not a good bridge option. One dimensional so how much more of the RPO can you install. If the grad transfer guy can’t get you to 6 or more why bother. Use the year to develop what you have. I’d look at Ty same way. If he has a decent chance to get 6 or more go with him. If not focus on CN and/or KJ
You do know that the RPO is mostly a run option to the running back and very little depends on running with the QB?

31to6

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 10:16:39 pm »

So Noland is equal to a guy who KC traded up to get in the top half of the NFL draft and just lead the league in TD passes?
Who knows?

The point is that it is not a big deal for a guy to play some baseball in the Spring as long as he is available for Spring Camp and he maintains his conditioning and grades.

If it was a big deal, the coaches would not be allowing it.

Tons of football players also run track.

Matt Jones played basketball and football. So did Marcus Monk.

I would argue that playing basketball is a *MUCH* bigger problem than baseball because of the higher risk of injury.

The reason it is rare is because athletes capable of playing at an SEC level in more than one sport are extremely rare.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 10:30:11 pm »

The QB position in a complex offense takes a lot of time and focus. Kinda like doing brain surgery for 1/2 the year and competing on the pro checkers tour the other 6 months.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 11:10:24 pm »

The QB position in a complex offense takes a lot of time and focus. Kinda like doing brain surgery for 1/2 the year and competing on the pro checkers tour the other 6 months.

The QB for Washington State was a grad transfer from Coastal Carolina who did not get to campus until June and he threw for over 4,000 yards.  So it happens.  I say get the best man who fits your system.  More than likely that QB will have plenty of experience in your Offense and will pick up the plays very quickly.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 08:39:32 am »

The QB for Washington State was a grad transfer from Coastal Carolina who did not get to campus until June and he threw for over 4,000 yards.  So it happens.  I say get the best man who fits your system.  More than likely that QB will have plenty of experience in your Offense and will pick up the plays very quickly.
East Carolina and he wasnt all that great there

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 09:36:02 am »

Was referring to Nolan playing baseball AND football in my post.

311Hog

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 09:49:25 am »

Who knows?

The point is that it is not a big deal for a guy to play some baseball in the Spring as long as he is available for Spring Camp and he maintains his conditioning and grades.

If it was a big deal, the coaches would not be allowing it.

Tons of football players also run track.

Matt Jones played basketball and football. So did Marcus Monk.

I would argue that playing basketball is a *MUCH* bigger problem than baseball because of the higher risk of injury.

The reason it is rare is because athletes capable of playing at an SEC level in more than one sport are extremely rare.

being a pitcher and a qb is a totally different animal than running track or playing part time power forward and QB.  There is definite danger of arm fatigue etc. if Noland was a Center fielder or a  first basemen i wouldn't have near as much concern.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 12:10:32 pm »

being a pitcher and a qb is a totally different animal than running track or playing part time power forward and QB.  There is definite danger of arm fatigue etc. if Noland was a Center fielder or a  first basemen i wouldn't have near as much concern.

I agree with this.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 12:47:20 pm »

You do know that the RPO is mostly a run option to the running back and very little depends on running with the QB?

And if the QB is not a runner, the defense will adjust accordingly and take away the RB or earhole him..

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 12:57:04 pm »

People also forget that Jameis Winston also played baseball at FSU.  Pitched 27.0 innings in the spring of his Freshmen year and went on to win the Heisman as a redshirt FR the following fall.  I'm in no way saying that Noland and Winston are on the same level talent wise, but it can be done.  If anything, the fact that Noland is a pitcher is probably beneficial for us because it should allow him to fully participate in spring practice whereas if he was a position player, he might not be able to participate in as many football activities.

311Hog

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 01:03:07 pm »

People also forget that Jameis Winston also played baseball at FSU.  Pitched 27.0 innings in the spring of his Freshmen year and went on to win the Heisman as a redshirt FR the following fall.  I'm in no way saying that Noland and Winston are on the same level talent wise, but it can be done.  If anything, the fact that Noland is a pitcher is probably beneficial for us because it should allow him to fully participate in spring practice whereas if he was a position player, he might not be able to participate in as many football activities.

oh i didn't forget, i am just saying it is different (not impossible) just different.  Jamieis was also clearly planning to play football in the NFL, i am not sure which is Noland's sport of choice not sure which he has the best chance of going pro in.

I just dont want the kid to hurt himself. (elbow etc.) 

hogmolar

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 03:56:14 pm »

And if the QB is not a runner, the defense will adjust accordingly and take away the RB or earhole him..
Just like they do to the saints and rams and eagles?

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 01:46:30 am »

Just like they do to the saints and rams and eagles?

In college mostly, yes. Those are not college teams last I heard. That doesn't mean there are not exceptions in CFB. They just don't run Morris' offense. His offense is much better with a dual threat at QB.

That's not to say Hicks might not be better than what we have. He might be. I have seen his tape and he is not a Murray but not a statue either. He has a bit of swag too which hardly describes anyone now on the roster at QB.

If the coaches think he can fit, I'll see what he can do before complaining..

hogmolar

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 01:06:56 pm »

In college mostly, yes. Those are not college teams last I heard. That doesn't mean there are not exceptions in CFB. They just don't run Morris' offense. His offense is much better with a dual threat at QB.

That's not to say Hicks might not be better than what we have. He might be. I have seen his tape and he is not a Murray but not a statue either. He has a bit of swag too which hardly describes anyone now on the roster at QB.

If the coaches think he can fit, I'll see what he can do before complaining..
I agree with you 100%.  The problem is most confuse the RPO with the zone read.

The zone read is dependent on a running qb.  He reads the d-end and decides whether to hand off to RB or run it himself.

RPO is a design option for the qb to hand off the ball to RB or pass (yes he can run himself a times if needed).  It requires reading the safety(s) (mostly) and not all dependent on the qb being able to run, but I am sure it helps if he can.  It is much more difficult on online because they must run block without getting up field. 

Now it appears that CM likes mobile qbs as that is who has recruited (Watson, Bryant, Jefferson) but he has shown that it can be successful with a non mobile qb (Hicks). This is also what I was trying to point out with the reference to the NFL teams.  There are multiple teams who are successful using it with a non mobile qb.   

HogPharmer

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 01:12:00 pm »

oh i didn't forget, i am just saying it is different (not impossible) just different.  Jamieis was also clearly planning to play football in the NFL, i am not sure which is Noland's sport of choice not sure which he has the best chance of going pro in.

I just dont want the kid to hurt himself. (elbow etc.)

I'd also prefer Noland to stay away from the 5 finger discount aisle in the seafood department at the grocery store too...

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:06 pm »

I'd also prefer Noland to stay away from the 5 finger discount aisle in the seafood department at the grocery store too...

Jameis has a thing about his fingers.. that finger-licking deal he did on NFL films with them in a "W" shape has brought him some grief from opposing players..

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 01:50:15 pm »

I agree with you 100%.  The problem is most confuse the RPO with the zone read.

The zone read is dependent on a running qb.  He reads the d-end and decides whether to hand off to RB or run it himself.

RPO is a design option for the qb to hand off the ball to RB or pass (yes he can run himself a times if needed).  It requires reading the safety(s) (mostly) and not all dependent on the qb being able to run, but I am sure it helps if he can.  It is much more difficult on online because they must run block without getting up field. 

Now it appears that CM likes mobile qbs as that is who has recruited (Watson, Bryant, Jefferson) but he has shown that it can be successful with a non mobile qb (Hicks). This is also what I was trying to point out with the reference to the NFL teams.  There are multiple teams who are successful using it with a non mobile qb.   

I agree, my original post was a little over simplified.. I would PREFER a dual threat in Morris' offense, but if Hicks can run that RPO and the entire offense better than what we have and we can't get Buechele or a better runner, I wouldn't scoff at him like some on here.

Of course the advantage he would have is coming in before summer as opposed to some of the others.

It appears he is a fall back plan and the coaches are weighing their options. I guess Buechele can't put his name in the portal before graduating, so they must decide whether to take Hicks or gamble that he would not go elsewhere while we wait..

If he knows the offense inside and out as I'm sure he does after being in it 3 years, he might not need spring ball. He would still have summer to bond with the WRs, some of whom won't be here in the spring anyhow.

To get someone in for spring, they are on a tight timeline. Hopefully, there are contacts with 3rd parties who have a good idea what Buechele will do..

Hawgphat

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 02:03:30 pm »

In my personal estimation, a 4* is as a 4* does.  If a 4* rated QB doesn't exhibit evidence of justifying a 4* rating on the basis of his on-field performance, then (in my mind, at least) that sad fact would tend to call into question the parameters of the numerical * rating system

That observation is not a swipe at Storey; - it's simply a personal general assessment of the possible inconsistency of the rating system.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 02:42:33 pm »

I'd rather get Buechele in May than Hicks now. Just don't see Hicks ceiling any higher than Ty's.

isavedjazz

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 03:00:01 pm »

I'd rather get Buechele in May than Hicks now. Just don't see Hicks ceiling any higher than Ty's.

If they wanted Hicks they’d have him by now. Seems as if they’re waiting it out. If nothing better appears, they’ll go with what they’ve got
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas