• 10,154,168 Posts
• 405,141 Topics
• 23,127 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is best?  (Read 2626 times)

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
Which is best?
« on: January 05, 2019, 01:06:20 pm »

If you had to choose between a class with a lot of mid ranked 4* or a class with a few highly ranked 4* and a couple 5* and a bunch of 3* which would you take?

Assume the classes are overall ranked the same.

Do a few ďdifference makersĒ over ride a solid team top to bottom but with no absolute studs?

Fort Dweller

Re: Which is best?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:09:26 pm »

5* QB, 5* DE, 5* S:  Hides most deficiencies.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 01:12:42 pm »

Could be either what positions are those difference makers? If you hit a Tua at QB, a stud LB, and safety etc. And fill the rest with 2nd and 3rd year contributors then i think you got a better class this way.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:13:24 pm »

5* QB, 5* DE, 5* S:  Hides most deficiencies.
Kind of close to what I said.

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:28:48 pm »

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:52:14 pm »

Give me the numbers. Give me all the 4 stars I can get and maybe the occasional 3 star who appears to be a 5 star will emerge. H. Henry, T. Burkes,T. Knox are all 4 stars that look better than that to me on video. Once again give me 14 of those every year and we'll be just fine.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:21:10 pm »

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. That 5* QB could be the next Trevor Lawrence, or the next Mitch Mustain.

oldhawg

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 03:11:02 pm »

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. That 5* QB could be the next Trevor Lawrence, or the next Mitch Mustain.

Not to rehash the past, but Mitch Mustain was 8-0 as a true freshman starting quarterback for the Razorbacks.  Given the right team climate and productive coaching, he stood a chance of becoming one of the best quarterbacks in Razorback history. 

hawg66

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 04:35:39 pm »

I remember Mustain being a big reason why they won the Vandy game. It was really one of the few times Nutters let Malzahn run his offense.
Iím not a big fan of Gus, but itís not true to say that Mustain didnít contribute to the win streak.

redeye

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 04:54:07 pm »

It's a numbers game, so I'd take more 4* players.

In this exact scenario, I think 247 would always take the 5* players, however. 

Mike_e

• All-American Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 05:01:58 pm »

You can win the first half with great players.

Winning the second half takes depth.

I realize that this isn't exactly in the limits set in the OP but depending on team needs you might be better off with a bunch of high 3*/low 4* players than a couple of 5*s and lower talent for the rest of the class.

LA Football fan

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 05:14:15 pm »

IMO we have at least a couple of 5* players in Henry and Burks and then add in all the other 4* players and this is an outstanding class for us.   There is no doubt that Henry is the #1 TE in the country and Burks only dropped due not attending camps and getting injured.  Burks has 5* talent all day long and he has it at WR and LB and 4* talent at QB due mainly to not playing that position full time. 

Al Boarland

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:34:15 pm »

If you're landing mostly 4 and 5 stars taking some 3 stars is a potential indicator of high level evaluation.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 10:33:54 pm »

If you had to choose between a class with a lot of mid ranked 4* or a class with a few highly ranked 4* and a couple 5* and a bunch of 3* which would you take?

Assume the classes are overall ranked the same.

Do a few ďdifference makersĒ over ride a solid team top to bottom but with no absolute studs?

I think stars are often over rated.  I think the best recruiting is signing the best guys who fit your system that is most important.  I keep hearing Chad say this and I believe him so lets see if the guys who were signed come in here and contribute and make us better to win a few games.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:44:34 pm by nwahogfan1 »

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 12:37:01 am »

Give me the numbers. Give me all the 4 stars I can get and maybe the occasional 3 star who appears to be a 5 star will emerge. H. Henry, T. Burkes,T. Knox are all 4 stars that look better than that to me on video. Once again give me 14 of those every year and we'll be just fine.

This. If the WRs live up to their billing, it will be the deepest we've ever been at that position maybe. The most talented without a doubt other than maybe the Childs(before the injury)/Hamilton/Wright threesome.

People get all caught up in the stars. I looked back at 'Bama's 2016 class. They had a 4-5 star RB named Emmons who is no longer there. #1 rated RB that year according to some.

The two LOWEST rated skill players they had on offense that year were Josh Jacobs and Irv Smith, 3 stars each. Two studs who could play anywhere. Jacobs may be the reason Emmons is not still on their team..

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 01:16:56 am »

The Springdale Mafia lives!

a0ashle

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 09:02:30 am »

Has the 5 star threshold remained constant in relation to score or is it fixed to a number of players at the top? I ask because players are getting better in high school and it seems likely that a few of our guys would have been 5 stars 10-15 years ago.

jjdlc

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 10:19:10 am »

Has the 5 star threshold remained constant in relation to score or is it fixed to a number of players at the top? I ask because players are getting better in high school and it seems likely that a few of our guys would have been 5 stars 10-15 years ago.

QB is one of the toughest positions to project from level to level.  QBs that dominate in HS fall into oblivion in college, and college QBs the same in the NFL.  Conversely QBs you've never heard of come out of no where to be some of the best.  For every Tua, there are many many 5 star QBs that never pan out.  I would much rather hang my team on a solid class of 4 stars than a 5 star QB.  Now there are some other positions where I might go the other way.

a0ashle

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 10:31:54 am »

QB is one of the toughest positions to project from level to level.  QBs that dominate in HS fall into oblivion in college, and college QBs the same in the NFL.  Conversely QBs you've never heard of come out of no where to be some of the best.  For every Tua, there are many many 5 star QBs that never pan out.  I would much rather hang my team on a solid class of 4 stars than a 5 star QB.  Now there are some other positions where I might go the other way.

I agree, I am thinking along the lines that there are 4 stars that would have been 5 stars years ago and that the amount of talent has improved so much across the board that the gap between 5 and upper mid 4 stars is so much tighter.

If stars are a measure of probability to pan out, then 4 stars are only a small percentage behind, but they also come with a chip on their shoulder.

Sign me up with a team of 4 stars and if we hit a 5 star so be it.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 10:16:28 pm »

I'll take a team of all 4*.  That way, if some players play above their ranking they're playing at a 5* level.  Players that play below that ranking, and that happens, are still playing at a 3* level.  If you have a some 3* players a few are going to play down and that's a 2* level and you can't win at a 2* level.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 06:50:36 pm »

I'll take a team of all 4*.  That way, if some players play above their ranking they're playing at a 5* level.  Players that play below that ranking, and that happens, are still playing at a 3* level.  If you have a some 3* players a few are going to play down and that's a 2* level and you can't win at a 2* level.

Good point

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 09:39:52 pm »

I think itís a little bit of both. The threshold rating for a 5th star has probably remained mostly the same, but the recruiting services will only give so many players a rating which would result in that 5th star each year, regardless of whether certain players are actually deserving of a 5* rating.

For example, the 5* threshold may remain constant at a 99 player rating, but only so many players will be given a 99+ rating each year, even if more may actually deserve that 99+ rating.

Interestingly, the first year of the Rivals era (2002) had 38 five-stars, which is the most ever for Rivals. The second most is 34 in 2015 and 2017.

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 10:22:35 pm »

I remember Mustain being a big reason why they won the Vandy game. It was really one of the few times Nutters let Malzahn run his offense.
Iím not a big fan of Gus, but itís not true to say that Mustain didnít contribute to the win streak.

If you are using the Vanderbilt game to bolster your opinion that Mustain "led us" to 7 wins, and saying that was the only game where Nutt allowed Gus to  run that offense that he ran at Springdale, thank goodness it was the only game.

That game was probably the poorest  performance as a team the entire steak of wins, probably the whole season. They barely beat a bad Vanderbilt team and had the worst offensive game the entire year, baring perhaps the 1st game against USC, and at least in the USC game we were playing against a  superb team that was part of a dynastic run in the middle part of that decade., and DMAC was less than 100% coming off that terrible foot injury.

We only scored 21 points and won by 1 point if I recall correctly, again against the weakest team in the SEC that season. True, Mustain did actually have a decent game statistically, but definitely it wasn't a performance that set the world on fire or even raise an eyebrow, simply a game where he didn't stink up the joint.

If that ugly win was any indication, thank goodness Nutt had the good sense to start playing to the strengths of the team, because after that Vandy game early in the year Nobody was thinking we were about to go on the magical run we ended up having. That game is definitely not a game to look back on and brag.

Whenever you get through, DMAC, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, and a solid defense deserve credit for that win streak that was 10 games in a row. Mustain was just along for the ride.

I will say that in the LSU game I felt that Mustain probably should have been given a chance later in the game when Casey Dick was having a horrible game and obviously wasn't going to get the job done. No saying Mustain would have made a difference, but he couldn't have done any worse than Dick was doing, easily the worst game of his career.

Mustain was highly overrated coming out of highscool, and I was one of those who stayed in denial as long as any fan, but the truth was the truth. Perhaps had he went to Tulsa he might have had a decent career, but was not SEC material and was in over his head at USC, as his performance there clearly showed.

Sorry if this offends anyone but anyone with any objectivity that wasn't drinking the Springdale koolaid knows this. I hate how that whole situation turned out, and I really wanted to see Mustain  live up to the hype, but he was mostly just a bunch of hype and in retrospect I wish none of that Springdale bunch had ever stepped foot on campus. It led to arguably the worst soap opera in school history and really ruined what could have been a magical 2 year run in 2006-2007, especially 2007

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas