• 10,165,500 Posts
• 405,364 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blessings in disguise?  (Read 4548 times)

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
Blessings in disguise?
« on: January 04, 2019, 04:10:27 pm »

Luke Ford is leaving UGA and headed back home to Illinois because of deteriorating health of his grandparents.  Hog fans were very hopful to get him and anguished when he decommit ed.    He caught 1 pass for 4 yds last season    wasnt he the top rated te in his class?

DGB,  top rated receiver.

Dyer, etc.    Whew, sometimes its a blessing to not get the recruit.   

010HogFan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
Re: Blessings in disguise?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 04:15:44 pm »

That could be a legit excuse, but it also sounds like a good excuse you would come up with just because you want out and people can't criticize you for it or else they are heartless. That guy just can't decide where he wants to be.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pudgepork

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:21:45 pm »

That could be a legit excuse, but it also sounds like a good excuse you would come up with just because you want out and people can't criticize you for it or else they are heartless. That guy just can't decide where he wants to be.

Maybe but hes 1 of 4 players who have announced they are leaving.  UGA is a freefall for a little while.  The 3 that announced today were all Richt recruits.   Hhhmm.  Seems Hogs have been going thru something similar

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Luke Ford
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:05:12 pm »

The 4* TE that was committed to us for a while before eventually signing with Georgia has transferred to Illinois.  I'm not sure what is going on at Georgia, but it looks like there may be some natives getting restless.   

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
Re: Luke Ford
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:13:07 pm »

The 4* TE that was committed to us for a while before eventually signing with Georgia has transferred to Illinois.  I'm not sure what is going on at Georgia, but it looks like there may be some natives getting restless.

Chaney and Pittman last seen googling bbq joints in Columbus Ohio

grayhawg

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 05:13:34 pm »

Jim Chaney is my guess

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 05:20:18 pm »

Ford is home sick or that was the rumor. His Transfer has been much speculated about

JaketheSnake

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »

His boy fields is also gone. 

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 05:27:23 pm »

I thought he went to ND.  Who am I thinking of?

31to6

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 05:30:25 pm »

Maybe but hes 1 of 4 players who have announced they are leaving.  UGA is a freefall for a little while.  The 3 that announced today were all Richt recruits.   Hhhmm.  Seems Hogs have been going thru something similar
During the semi-final game someone (Holly Rowe perhaps?) was reporting that there had been a lot of turmoil during the Georgia bowl practices.

yraciv

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 05:34:07 pm »

I thought he went to ND.  Who am I thinking of?

Luke Jones from LR went to Notre Dame.

yraciv

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 05:36:14 pm »

Young man was homesick and has a sick grandpa. It was always going to be Illinois as the transfer destination, but don't worry for UGA. They will just reload!

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 06:19:28 pm »

Well they dang sure weren’t preparing for Texas it seems.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 06:22:20 pm »

Seriously two Luke Ford threads?  Nothing beats Hogville for opining on the one that got away. 

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 07:03:22 pm »

Purged the tacky posts about the player. Not the place for it.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:29 pm »

Please remind me to never accidentally look at you.

Quick reminder...never accidentally look at me.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 11:06:43 pm »

Those star ratings don't account for homesickness, toughness or lack of it, personal/family issues, or any of the other multitude of reasons players don't contribute at their first school..

Many don't ever contribute on the field at all.

Anyone remember Robert Reed? He was Deep South's POY in the 90s out of MS and rated as highly as they rated players in those days.

I was as excited about him as any player Danny Ford signed. He only held the starting QB job for part of one game, went to JC I think and wound up at OM as a WR.

People who follow CFB, especially on here, seem to think those star ratings are the be-all end-all and that the kid is a lock to be a star in college. Not so!

Many of the 5 star players wash out because they were ahead of their age group until they got to college. Once they get schooled or ear-holed by a 3 star or a walk on in practice, some of them never recover.

Many of them just can't adjust to college where all the players were HS stars and some of them were overlooked due to being late bloomers or just exploded physically at all once.

Even 'Bama and GA have washouts like the late Altee Tenpenny, may he rest in peace.

What 'Bama has done better than anyone is to minimize the washouts by recruiting to the hilt EVERY YEAR with players who are ahead of their age group and ahead of most JRs and SRs on most teams.

I think Saban and his staff must be great talent evaluators and have a feel for kids who love the game. Those kids will stick with it longer than many of the kids with just great verticals and 40 time.

Jacobs is a good example. I'll bet there are 4-5 star RBs on that squad in the same class as that 3 star with no offer from OU or OK. St. who are behind Jacobs on the depth chart.

On here, many posters seem to think that "talent" is strictly in the 4-5 star players and there is no development required for them and the rest are a bunch of slugs.

Korliss Marshall according to the "experts" on here was another Gale Sayers and Alex Collins was meh. Which one is in the League?

AJ Turner was very "talented" but where is he now? Character, taking coaching and work ethic, along with the good fortune of avoiding serious injuries has a lot to do with how good a player becomes, not just so-called "talent."

moto625

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 06:52:19 am »

Needs his Mommy

oldhawg

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 07:28:15 am »

Needs his Mommy

You've walked in his shoes?

ArkansasI

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 08:11:31 am »

Sure am glad that none of the players that inked with the Hogs that same year Luke chose uga have washed out, transferred or not lived up to their recruiting billing.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 09:09:29 am »

I'd like to land a top tier QB grad transfer that makes NOT getting Kelly Bryant a blessing in disguise.

Pudgepork

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 09:11:29 am »

8)The point of my post was the hope that when the hogs miss out or feels played by a recruit, to approach it in a more relaxed manner.  Sometimes it is a blessing to miss on a high ranked recruit.  We just don't know it at the time.  It all works out. That emotional stress and pull is the coaches problem.
We have no real involvement or investment so why moan and cry when a recruit chooses another school.

That said, if I was the aggy booster that gave dickerson a new trans am, I'd be totally pissed when he chose smu because I had an actual investment and involvement in his recruiting

Hogmatic

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 09:13:53 am »

UGA has a small version of what we had because the Richt atmosphere was soft.   Smart is hard nosed and the soft players don't jive.  The difference is that the UGA roster was full of good players and the offensive and defensive schemes were not polar opposites to Richt's.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 09:19:19 am »

This... I believe he wants to be in the NFL, but isn't patient enough to wait his turn for snaps. Ironically, he would have gotten alot of snaps here this past year...

Laughing Hog

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 03:58:05 pm »

His boy fields is also gone. 
My understanding from GA folks, he can't make multiple reads. It's 1st read, nothing there, turn on the wheels (which are good) and go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas