• 10,061,282 Posts
• 402,727 Topics
• 23,014 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaii vacation  (Read 302 times)

GolfNut57

Hawaii vacation
« on: January 04, 2019, 02:47:16 pm »

With all the rich people on this board, (eyeballing Ricepig here) I know someone here has taken a vacation to Hawaii at some point in their lives. Wife and I are kicking around the idea of just doing something really different as far as vacation destinations go. So.......who here has been to Hawaii? I am looking at Honolulu to go get some golf in and look at all the sights. The AZ memorial being a biggie. What am I looking at in terms of money for being there for 7+ days? $3,000+? $4,000? Whoever has been there, what was the rate you might have paid per night for a beach front hotel?

I have to ask these questions because I don't know really where to even start when it comes to planning such a trip.

TIA

Boog41

Re: Hawaii vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 04:13:56 pm »

Nut, I've been to Hawaii maybe a dozen times. To me, Honolulu is a necessary evil in order to see Pearl Harbor. I'd highly recommend staying on a different island and doing a day trip to Oahu in order to see that sights there. Honolulu seriously feels like being in Tokyo.

Kauai is my personal favorite followed by Maui. I've played Poipu Bay, on Kauai, 3-4 times. That is where the Grand Slam of golf used to be played. On Maui, they have the Plantation Course, by the Ritz Carlton, where the PGA is this very weekend. There are obviously multiple courses on each island.

Several times I've stayed 4-6 nts on Kauai and then switched to Maui for 4-6 nts.

I don't think there is any way you can spend a week out there for $3K-$4K. Two coach plane tickets alone will be $1600 if you find a good rate. Nice beach front hotels will run $500+ per night.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GolfNut57

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:52:47 pm »

Nut, I've been to Hawaii maybe a dozen times. To me, Honolulu is a necessary evil in order to see Pearl Harbor. I'd highly recommend staying on a different island and doing a day trip to Oahu in order to see that sights there. Honolulu seriously feels like being in Tokyo.

Kauai is my personal favorite followed by Maui. I've played Poipu Bay, on Kauai, 3-4 times. That is where the Grand Slam of golf used to be played. On Maui, they have the Plantation Course, by the Ritz Carlton, where the PGA is this very weekend. There are obviously multiple courses on each island.

Several times I've stayed 4-6 nts on Kauai and then switched to Maui for 4-6 nts.

I don't think there is any way you can spend a week out there for $3K-$4K. Two coach plane tickets alone will be $1600 if you find a good rate. Nice beach front hotels will run $500+ per night.

Thanks for that info Boog. It's very helpful. After I posted the OP above a lady from a travel agency emailed me that it would cost me around $4200+ that includes hotels, air fare and whatever else agencies throw in there for a ten night stay on the island of Oahu. I have no idea if they figured in meals and other things such as golf and other extracurricular activities but I doubt it. I expected the price to be high but I still got quite a shock when I saw her quote.

I am guessing that by the time I add in what she left out I am looking at 6-7K easily. A trip like that would be nice. One of those bucket list things but apparently not until if and when I find a way to win the lottery. lol

Just for the sake of asking, how does it go when you take a day trip from one island to another? By Ferries between the islands? And you take taxi's to see the sights? One other question. How much for a typical round of golf on the courses you played? Thanks.

Boog41

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:33:34 pm »

Thanks for that info Boog. It's very helpful. After I posted the OP above a lady from a travel agency emailed me that it would cost me around $4200+ that includes hotels, air fare and whatever else agencies throw in there for a ten night stay on the island of Oahu. I have no idea if they figured in meals and other things such as golf and other extracurricular activities but I doubt it. I expected the price to be high but I still got quite a shock when I saw her quote.

I am guessing that by the time I add in what she left out I am looking at 6-7K easily. A trip like that would be nice. One of those bucket list things but apparently not until if and when I find a way to win the lottery. lol

Just for the sake of asking, how does it go when you take a day trip from one island to another? By Ferries between the islands? And you take taxi's to see the sights? One other question. How much for a typical round of golf on the courses you played? Thanks.

I think you are easily looking at $6-$7K for ten nights and that would not include meals/ golf, etc...

You would need a rental car on every island but Oahu. You could easily cab/uber there. There are inter-island flights virtually every hour on Hawaiin Air. They typically connect through Honolulu. No flight is more than an hour and the inter-island hops are fairly cheap.

As for golf prices, here are the courses I've played, the web site has the price options.

Poipu Bay on Kauai https://www.poipubaygolf.com/
Princeville on Kauai http://www.princeville.com/golf
Kaanapali on Maui... used to be a Senior event here https://www.kaanapaligolfcourses.com/
Plantation Course where this weekends tourney is https://golfatkapalua.com/plantation_course/
Ko'olina on Oahu.... I think there is an LPGA event here still http://www.koolinagolf.com/

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:06:59 am »

Hawaii is wonderful. I've been three times (big Island, Maui and North Shore Oahu.)

I would recommend staying on the north shore Oahu (Haleiwa, Velzeyland, Sunset) in an Airbnb/vrbo. Resorts are so needlessly expensive and you can really get a good taste of what Hawaii is really like when you stay in a neighborhood and shop at the grocery store, etc. It's quiet up there and obviously beautiful.

For golf, The Turtle Bay resort is on the north shore and they have at least two courses. The north shore is only an hour drive from Honolulu, so you could also play a course there.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 01:27:50 pm »

We spent a week on the Big Island in 2017. Amazing trip. We stayed in a VRBO right on the beach in Kona and it was perfect. Sea turtles and surf right outside our window. We picked the Big Island because there is a little of everything. The Kona side is sun soaked beaches and old lava flows and desert (and the surfer scene). The Hilo side is rainforests and lush vegetation and beautiful waterfalls and flowers (and the hippie scene). Kilauea is near the southern end of the Island. Waimea in the north side looks like Texas hill country with rolling hills, grasslands and a huge cattle ranch (great whale watching near there too). With the snowcaps and observatories on top of the volcanoes as well, you can have an entirely different experience every day. I do recommend going. I'm not a golfer, so I can't speak to that.

One note, most of the beaches near Kona are not like I was expecting. Not many vast stretches of sand like I was used to on the Gulf Coast. More like small patches of sand interrupted by black lava rocks. Beautiful, to be sure, but in a different way.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:52:24 pm by NoogaHog »

jabberjawls

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:10:18 pm »

Been to all 4 major islands and i believe that you can definitely go there for a week under $4000 (sans golf because i don't know the cost of golf on the islands).   Just do your research and you can get some good deals.  My order of preference for first timers would be 1) Maui, 2) Kauai, 3) Big Isand/Ohau (tie).  If the AZ memorial is a must, then think in terms of a day trip from Maui or Kauai. 

ReservoirHog

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:08:18 pm »

Went to Maui first week of May last year, stayed nine nights in a perfectly nice Airbnb in Kihei right on the beach for <$100 a night. Airfare was about $650 round trip each for my wife and I (we live in the PNW), rental car was about $650 plus fuel. We cooked a lot at our condo to save money and took snacks with us while we were out and about to avoid having to buy more stuff during the day. Under $3k for the whole thing.
It probably all depends on what experience you want. We are late 30s, active, no kids, not wanting the yuppie fine dining or rich old person golf resort experience. Just needed a bed to crash in at night, then we were hiking or at the beach pretty much all day every day the rest of the time.

1HourToHogville

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 03:54:49 pm »

Spent the week of Thanksgiving (Thursday before to Saturday following) in Maui.  On a budget, you can rent a very nice beachfront oceanview 2BR condo unit for $165/night in Maaleaa Bay area (between Kihei  and on the way to LaHaina).  Short walk to the harbor and whale watching/snorkeling/fishing boats. 

An affordable way to see the 4 major islands is to take the Hawaiian cruise.  Fly into Honolulu, tour Pearl Harbor memorial then get on cruise ship in afternoon.  Cruise ship is for sleeping and eating breakfast and dinner, you"re in port rest of the time getting to see what you want on that particular island.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas