• 10,059,654 Posts
• 402,691 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Drop The Mic  (Read 4047 times)

Tankster

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Drop The Mic
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:20:57 pm »

Kurt Anderson named OL coach at Northwestern

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
Re: Drop The Mic
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 04:21:51 pm »

He will be top notch there. Just watch.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:27:00 pm »

He'll be top weight there, that's for sure.

Seebs

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 04:27:13 pm »

Not watching Kurt Anderson or Northwestern.  My guess is he will be marginal.

Danimal

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 04:32:52 pm »

I'm not sure how GOOD of a coach Anderson might be, but I do believe our former head coach made most of his staff appear worse than they actually are with his poor management practices and laziness.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 04:46:50 pm »

A program trending in the right direction hires Kurt Anderson...hmmm I think we know how this goes. Sorry NW.

lakecityhog

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:17:54 pm »

I don't doubt that Anderson knows what he is doing. I think most of the assistant coaches that came and went over the last 6 years were capable coaches. They lacked leadership. We talk about team leaders taking charge and directing the players, assistant coaches need that same help.

Being led by someone that may not be giving 100% would tend to drag down even the strongest personality. I honestly believe that work ethic was a bit of a problem for Nutt and we saw the trickle down effect there too.

I hope Anderson does well. he like most of us needs a job to support his family.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:24:27 pm »

Holy crap! you did it again! you really never cease to amaze me. Im convinced this is a satire account at this point.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 07:25:44 pm »

From what I remember he was a great cruiter. Really left the cupboard stacked. Also a great developer of talent. Was told he had complete command of the meeting room and had players respect and attention.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:48:56 pm »

Any current players are doomed in the OL room.   If Anderson hasn't learned his lesson from Arkansas, he will try to come in and bring his own guys, throw an 18 year old high school grad walk on in the line to show he can find a diamond in the rough and get the kid destroyed.

Anderson did the single most to hurt this program, the fact that Bielema didn't stop him was reason enough to fire him.

AirWarren

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:43 pm »

Holy crap! you did it again! you really never cease to amaze me. Im convinced this is a satire account at this point.

I truly believe coach B impacted everyone negatively. Iím no fan of Kurt Anderson. Couldnít stand the guy. But mark my words, Pat Fitzgerald is a good coach with marginal resources that has been good for Northwestern. Anderson will perform for him. Look what that idiot body by herb has done at Michigan under good guidance and quality players.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 08:42:58 pm »

I'm not sure how GOOD of a coach Anderson might be, but I do believe our former head coach made most of his staff appear worse than they actually are with his poor management practices and laziness.

I hate it, but this is probably true.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:35 pm »

Considering how poorly it went here, that last Beilema staff has done remarkably well landing on their collective feet.

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 08:52:56 pm »

Considering how poorly it went here, that last Beilema staff has done remarkably well landing on their collective feet.

Folks learn and grow from their mistakes.  Most times..  They get second chances sometimes.  I doubt if he's just an eggnog buddy there.

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 09:44:19 pm »

As much as I respect Coach Fitzgerald and what he has done for NW, I tend
to think this is a very bad hire.  It's just my opinion but I feel he is the end result of the
problem we are trying to currently correct.  I think he is a bad teacher of the position he played
and coach.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 09:45:12 pm »

As much as I respect Coach Fitzgerald and what he has done for NW, I tend
to think this is a very bad hire.  It's just my opinion but I feel he is the end result of the
problem we are trying to currently correct.  I think he is a bad teacher of the position he played
and coach.

Didnít Anderson have strong Chicago ties?  Probably something to do with that and could get him cheap. 

UnknownNobody

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:25 pm »

Didnít Anderson have strong Chicago ties?  Probably something to do with that and could get him cheap.

Yes, he is from the Chicagoland area and his Brothers, Father and Grandfather played in the NFL.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 10:07:41 pm »

We know who will probably lead the nation in sacks yielded next season unless the previous O line coach left him loaded. If that's the case, they will lead the nation in sacks given up in 2-3 years.

Maybe it's just because his predecessor is one of the best we've ever had at that position, but KA seemed like a disaster from my vantage point..

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 10:13:05 pm »

I truly believe coach B impacted everyone negatively. Iím no fan of Kurt Anderson. Couldnít stand the guy. But mark my words, Pat Fitzgerald is a good coach with marginal resources that has been good for Northwestern. Anderson will perform for him. Look what that idiot body by herb has done at Michigan under good guidance and quality players.

Yeah, they got blown up when they played the two of the 3 best teams they saw this season at the end.

I saw where Veltkamp who was Petrino's S&C guy had been in the NFL, Cleveland I think..

Hoggish1

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 10:13:23 pm »

From what I remember he was a great cruiter. Really left the cupboard stacked. Also a great developer of talent. Was told he had complete command of the meeting room and had players respect and attention.

No.  That guy was asleep in the back of the room, by the door...

King Kong

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 10:22:27 pm »

Not surprised

Fitzgerald and Bielema are tight

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 10:28:58 pm »

It's a shame he didn't end up with Enos at Alabama.  I'm sure he would've had an
immediate impact and him and Saban would be bff's.

Drop the Mike

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:03 pm »

I like the thread title

SugarHillGaHog

prattville pig

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 08:52:03 am »

I knew I saw him on the sideline in their bowl game.

porque

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04:59 am »

I really like coach B.  Got to hang out with he and Jen some.  Both really good, down to earth people.  That being said, I think he was exposed here as a not great manager of a program or a good tactician.   He really lacked attention to detail and discipline which is mandatory for a head football coach.

HogPharmer

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 09:23:21 am »

Yeah, they got blown up when they played the two of the 3 best teams they saw this season at the end.

I saw where Veltkamp who was Petrino's S&C guy had been in the NFL, Cleveland I think..

Good thing they opted not to play us this year. The would've really been in for a world of hurt

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:52 am »

Fitzgerald and Bielema are friends.  Wonder if BB helped Anderson get this. 

Part of Anderson's problem at Arkansas was Bielema's stupid idea to have fewer oline on scholarship than what Pittman had wanted.  Fitzgerald may not screw up in this way. 

AirWarren

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 10:15:58 am »

We know who will probably lead the nation in sacks yielded next season unless the previous O line coach left him loaded. If that's the case, they will lead the nation in sacks given up in 2-3 years.

Maybe it's just because his predecessor is one of the best we've ever had at that position, but KA seemed like a disaster from my vantage point..

10-3 > 2-10.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 11:32:16 am »

that makes much more sense.

kaki

• Varsity
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 11:33:26 am »

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 12:32:48 pm »

A bit ironic that the majority of coaches during the CBB era had success prior to coming to Arkansas and have also magically had success after. 

Wasn't an Anderson fan either, but both the NFL and Northwestern hired him.  My guess is Fitzgerald isn't intentionally sabotaging what has become a pretty solid Northwestern program. 

AirWarren

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 01:49:59 pm »

that makes much more sense.

If you would just critical think and allow me to explain. I can make sense lol.

AirWarren

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 01:56:22 pm »

A bit ironic that the majority of coaches during the CBB era had success prior to coming to Arkansas and have also magically had success after. 

Wasn't an Anderson fan either, but both the NFL and Northwestern hired him.  My guess is Fitzgerald isn't intentionally sabotaging what has become a pretty solid Northwestern program.

Fitzgerald is 96-70 at NORTHWESTERN. NORTHWESTERN. A private research institution Illinois. What he does there is fairly remarkable. Including at times knocking out traditional winning big 10 programs.

While I think Kurt Anderson is garbage, I think he will surprise some folks there. That region of the world is known for producing big, Scandinavian blooded offensive linemen.

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 02:14:02 pm »

Fitzgerald is 96-70 at NORTHWESTERN. NORTHWESTERN. A private research institution Illinois. What he does there is fairly remarkable. Including at times knocking out traditional winning big 10 programs.

While I think Kurt Anderson is garbage, I think he will surprise some folks there. That region of the world is known for producing big, Scandinavian blooded offensive linemen.

Wasn't slamming Fitzgerald or Northwestern.  Quite the contrary.  While his overall record is mediocre, at Northwestern  the academic requirements (similar to Vandy, Duke, GA Tech) play a major factor in them being competitive every year in a P5 conference.   A 10 win season this year is Exhibit A. 

My point was maybe, just maybe some of the coaches we slam (like Chaney, Herbert Enos, etc) aren't complete garbage.  Anderson will get a chance to prove that his time at Arkansas was a blip vs reality. 

Chizik is another example... while at Auburn he won a natty and then was fired because they thought he was a moron.  Used to listen to him on SiriusXM and thought he was actually pretty knowledgeable.  Contrast that with Dale who I thought was a moron here and proves it every time he is on the air. 

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 02:23:14 pm »

Wasn't Anderson one of the people responsible for dividing the locker room and not playing the best players because they weren't his guys or am I remembering wrong? Either way screw him and Bielema.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 02:59:14 pm »

Wasn't Anderson one of the people responsible for dividing the locker room and not playing the best players because they weren't his guys or am I remembering wrong? Either way screw him and Bielema.
A coach dividing a locker room?  That can happen?  Under Bielema, which wasn't really divided at all, it was the coaches fault.  Under Morris, it the players fault because they were recruited by Bielema.  SMH

Hogville OL Knowledge > Pat Fitzgerald.   Why do some of you respond with nothing more to say that to trash Anderson and Bielema?   Where is Lanny on this subject? And why is this thread not in the trash can?

ricepig

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 03:05:24 pm »

A coach dividing a locker room?  That can happen?  Under Bielema, which wasn't really divided at all, it was the coaches fault.  Under Morris, it the players fault because they were recruited by Bielema.  SMH

Hogville OL Knowledge > Pat Fitzgerald.   Why do some of you respond with nothing more to say that to trash Anderson and Bielema?   Where is Lanny on this subject? And why is this thread not in the trash can?

Well, the father of an OL said that the coaches, or coach, divided the locker room by playing, or leaning towards pushing his "players" into the lineup. I don't know if it's true or not, I may have misinterpreted his posts, but it's been said around here for awhile. I don't doubt the new staff hurt some feelings pushing their "recruits"  into playing time, but, I was always told, make them have to play you by your work/actions/results.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 03:12:00 pm »

He was put in a bad situation.  His lack of experience didnít help, but hard to make Basil Hayden out of Zima.  Good players make average coaches look good.  Poor players make good coaches look average.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 03:26:53 pm »

That is exactly him.  It wasn't locker room, it just the O line room.

He wanted to stand out as superior to Pittman.  He thought he could put Clary in front of some of the more veteran guys and make it work out and he appear like a savior.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 03:27:26 pm »

He was put in a bad situation.  His lack of experience didnít help, but hard to make Basil Hayden out of Zima.  Good players make average coaches look good.  Poor players make good coaches look average.

I think I saw those are trying to make a comeback!!!

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 05:15:59 pm »

I trash Bielema and his terrible hire Kurt Anderson because they are a huge part of the reason we are in the position we are in. As mentioned, a former players dad said Anderson pushed his own guys. I don't claim to be a OL expert but even a blind man could see how bad that position was under the great Kurt Anderson. Just because a coach finds another sucker to hire him doesn't make him a good coach.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 08:08:17 pm »

Iíve said in several posts that I believe Anderson brought down the entire offense and BB.  Never considered BBís culpability due to his own leadership.  While I am willing to accept that theory, I still believe Anderson has to take responsibility even if his actions were some how tied to the HCís lack of discipline.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 08:11:40 pm »

The hot rumor is within a year or two Bert is going to be back into college coaching and that Chaney and Pittman will be back with him. Some are saying that Chaney is about to be demoted at Georgia and Pittman is not happy about it.

Hog N Bama

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:32 pm »

The hot rumor is within a year or two Bert is going to be back into college coaching and that Chaney and Pittman will be back with him. Some are saying that Chaney is about to be demoted at Georgia and Pittman is not happy about it.
Chaney may go down in history as the biggest scapegoat in the SEC.

RGRHog

• Band Nerd
Former Arkansas offensive line coach
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2019, 10:13:10 pm »

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Kurt Anderson is being promoted to offensive line coach at Northwestern Adam Rittenberg has tweeted. Anderson spent this past season as an analyst on Pat Fitzgeraldís staff.

Interesting!  What are your thoughts?

UnknownNobody

RGRHog

• Band Nerd
Re: Former Arkansas offensive line coach
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 10:25:13 pm »

Sorry, I guess that I am not on here enough.  Mods send to File 13.

UnknownNobody

Re: Former Arkansas offensive line coach
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 10:29:20 pm »

Sorry, I guess that I am not on here enough.  Mods send to File 13.

Well, it's not like the name of the thread was clear. Yours was clear maybe the mods will consolodate and rename it.

HogBreath

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2019, 03:40:55 am »

Yes, he is from the Chicagoland area and his Brothers, Father and Grandfather played in the NFL.
Yeah, his older brothers Ole and Arn twern't nobody to mess with.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas