• 10,059,635 Posts
• 402,689 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP - Jim Bailey  (Read 1769 times)

Hog in Iowa

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
RIP - Jim Bailey
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:10:12 pm »

I've spent many hours during my lifetime reading Jim's articles in the Gazette and Demo-Gazette and was never disappointed.  He and Orville had that style and knowledge that made you wish their articles would last forever.  Truly sorry to hear of his passing but we all know he's in a better place now.  He has and will be missed.

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
Re: RIP - Jim Bailey
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:20:11 pm »

Jim Bailey and OH were by far the two best sports writers in the state in my lifetime.

It was a sad day when Jim retired and even sadder day now.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hoglady

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:32:49 pm »

Hate to see this news.
He was the best.

rmcchris

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 12:42:17 pm »

So sorry to see this.  I so enjoyed reading his stuff back in the day when I lived in Little Rock.  Got to meet him once.  He seemed so nice and genuine.  RIP.  God be with his family

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:46:26 pm »

Prayers up for those closest to Jim. He represented sports journalism with class for many years. I always enjoyed reading everything he had to say.

Seebs

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:33:44 pm »

Paper War journalist were great. Jim has been missed and I am sorry for his passing.

snoblind

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 04:13:23 pm »

RIP, loved reading him and Orville.

Sivad

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 05:06:34 pm »

Jim Bailey and OH were by far the two best sports writers in the state in my lifetime.
He was the #2 guy. And what a team it was.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 05:45:19 pm »

When I was a kid, my Dad bought me the book, “The Razorbacks: A Story of Arkansas Football”.  It was by Orville Henry and Jim Bailey.

This is how I learned about Coach Hugo Bezdek and the 1909 Cardinals, who became the Razorbacks! 

I discovered the story of Clyde Scott and Leon “Muscles” Campbell!

Coach Frank Broyles, the man from Georgia Tech!

Lamar McHan, Lance Alworth, and in 1964 Fred Marshall and two other guys named Jerry and Jimmy!

I love history, and that book hooked me on the Razorbacks for life!

Thank you, and Rest In Peace.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »

Growing up, I learned a lot about Arkansas history, being a gentleman and showing class from 4 people in Arkansas public life that aren't with us anymore.... Orville Henry, Paul Eels, Frank Broyles and Jim Bailey.

They represented this great state with class, dignity and taught our state how special our rich history is and gave kids like me a special appreciation for what it means to be an Arkansan and a Razorback fan. Prayers going up for his family!

hawginTN

• Band Nerd
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:08:00 pm »

When I was a kid, my Dad bought me the book, “The Razorbacks: A Story of Arkansas Football”.  It was by Orville Henry and Jim Bailey.

This is how I learned about Coach Hugo Bezdek and the 1909 Cardinals, who became the Razorbacks! 

I discovered the story of Clyde Scott and Leon “Muscles” Campbell!

Coach Frank Broyles, the man from Georgia Tech!

Lamar McHan, Lance Alworth, and in 1964 Fred Marshall and two other guys named Jerry and Jimmy!

I love history, and that book hooked me on the Razorbacks for life!

Thank you, and Rest In Peace.

Same here.  Still have it. I think it came out in '73. I also have a most of the media guides from the seventies into the 2000's. As a kid I always loved looking through all the records.
Rest In Peace Jim.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 08:40:19 am »

Rest in Peace Jim.  It was great to have read your work.

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 06:05:29 pm »

Orville and and Jim Bailey would often arrive early for football games and write other stories they were working on as the rest of the media was starting to file into the press box.

One day at WMS a young sportswriter from NWA was making a pest out of himself walking about the press box talking loudly mostly about nonsense. Seeing Bailey down on the front row he yelled out, "Hey Jim Bailey, you've just been named Arkansas sportswriter of the year again. What would you like to say about it?"

"I would like to say nothing," Bailey responded without looking up.

A few minutes later the kid was at it again. Hey Orville,' he shouted, "why don't you......

That's as far as he got.

"WHY DON'T YOU SHUT UP?" Orville shouted back.

Annoyed at the clapping that broke out, the kid climbed up to the photo deck, I presume, to bug the people up there.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 08:31:59 am »

Orville and and Jim Bailey would often arrive early for football games and write other stories they were working on as the rest of the media was starting to file into the press box.

One day at WMS a young sportswriter from NWA was making a pest out of himself walking about the press box talking loudly mostly about nonsense. Seeing Bailey down on the front row he yelled out, "Hey Jim Bailey, you've just been named Arkansas sportswriter of the year again. What would you like to say about it?"

A few minutes later the kid was at it again. Hey Orville,' he shouted, "why don't you......

That's as far as he got.

Annoyed at the clapping that broke out, the kid climbed up to the photo deck, I presume, to bug the people up there.

Great Story Thanks Mike.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 09:10:38 pm »

That's as far as he got.

Gotta love Orville and Jim.
That story makes my day. Good one Mike!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas