• 10,057,030 Posts
• 402,612 Topics
• 23,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QB Transfer  (Read 15422 times)

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
Re: QB Transfer
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2019, 11:22:37 am »

:o

More qualified HOW? Oxner had to spend like 80 hours a week on football. If it was even close, HE was the more qualified one. Exceptions should have been made.

To be a big time program we HAVE to get rid of this kind of attitude, man. It sounds like something JOHN WHITE would say.
You know they don't spend 80 hours a week on football. That's hyperbole. And the post I was quoting said the admissions office said they had other more qualified candidates. I don't work in that office, but that is their job to make that determination.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 12:46:18 pm »

You know they don't spend 80 hours a week on football. That's hyperbole. And the post I was quoting said the admissions office said they had other more qualified candidates. I don't work in that office, but that is their job to make that determination.

Grad school programs work differently. There is no admissions office, instead there is a Admissions Committee. You cannot even get your application to the committee unless you have met the grade and test requirements. After that it is all very subjective and politics are played.

My wife got into a very competetive Grad Program because she knew the head of the department

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2019, 12:47:28 pm »

Grad school programs work differently. There is no admissions office, instead there is a Admissions Committee. You cannot even get your application to the committee unless you have met the grade and test requirements. After that it is all very subjective and politics are played.

My wife got into a very competetive Grad Program because she knew the head of the department
EXACTLY= its a "qualified or not qualified" situation, and Oxner WAS qualified. He should have been given a spot. Students are given special considerations in all kinds of ways at the University, and USUALLY acceptance to grad programs that they are qualified for happens. They are commended for graduating early despite the extra time spent on football. MANY hours per week on top of their studies.

ricepig

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2019, 12:49:41 pm »

I would imagine that would depend on the school, and the program.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2019, 12:55:19 pm »

I would imagine that would depend on the school, and the program.

True, every school and every program are run differently. With some faculty and staff have very little input and others they run the show. For the most part admission goes thru a committee.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2019, 08:27:55 pm »

I think Morris is wanting a grad trans that is better than what he has on campus because he understands the importance of winning now, not because he is worried about his seat being "hot" but because of recruiting. They were able to sell playing time and helping to turn around a bad program before and now they need to be able to say "see we are improving but we need you to take it to the next level"

He has also said he wants to bring in another QB because competition makes you better which is a nice way of saying "I'm bringing someone in to take your job step up or step off"  The point being he isn't going to coddle kids who don't move the program forward.

Don't disagree.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2019, 08:54:50 am »

I think Morris is wanting a grad trans that is better than what he has on campus because he understands the importance of winning now, not because he is worried about his seat being "hot" but because of recruiting. They were able to sell playing time and helping to turn around a bad program before and now they need to be able to say "see we are improving but we need you to take it to the next level"

He has also said he wants to bring in another QB because competition makes you better which is a nice way of saying "I'm bringing someone in to take your job step up or step off"  The point being he isn't going to coddle kids who don't move the program forward.

And that really is how this program will have to be rebuilt. It isn't going to happen overnight but it might happen more rapidly than many think possible if they can find a QB (either by transfer or on campus) that can run the offense, make good decisions and put the ball in the hands of receivers. If that occurs it could help produce 6 wins in 2019.

Now I am not predicting 6 wins next year, I'm just saying that if the team as a whole can improve incrementally in all phases of the game and someone emerges as the trigger-man of the offense, it could be possible. Frankly, it is that level of improvement in year two that Morris desperately needs to help recruiting and continue to pull in improved classes.

You have to have something to sell to recruits aside from a quality education, great facilities, early playing time and being able to play in the SEC. It's one thing to tell a recruit, "We want you to come here because you are a part of our master plan to return Arkansas to being competitive in the SEC West as we were in 2010 and 2011", but it is another thing entirely to be able to provide evidence that the plan is taking shape in the form of increased wins. That's why I say that getting to 6 wins next season and even getting a minor bowl that you win is going to be necessary for this staff to turn attitudes around on the team and encourage better recruits to come here.

I figure Morris' "must achieve" goal for 2019 is 6 wins, minimum. 2020, the "must achieve" jumps to 9 wins. I'm not saying that I believe he can get that done, but I'm also not saying that he can't. A lot has to transpire for the positive between now and then but I believe that is his vision and plan.

Mike_e

• All-American Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2019, 09:58:47 am »

The only thing I really want to know about a grad transfer QB is how big a bottle I need and when to pop it.

Always go big or go home.  ;)

tusksincolorado

• I'm Elon's inspiration. So Sorry Johnny.
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2019, 11:54:38 am »

Hurts will either stay at Alabama or go to a winning program.

Stay or go. He isn’t coming to Arkansas.

So astute you are Padawan...

Any other snide comments you want to throw out?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2019, 11:58:42 am »

So astute you are Padawan...

Any other snide comments you want to throw out?

Frankly, I would be shocked if he transferred to Arkansas.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2019, 12:05:27 pm »

Frankly, I would be shocked if he transferred to Arkansas.

Absolutely...so would I. But warren is in his classic, "Arkansas is never good enough" attitude.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2019, 12:11:43 pm »

Absolutely...so would I. But warren is in his classic, "Arkansas is never good enough" attitude.
and the guy he quoted didnt even imply arkansas. AW just wont pass on any chance to disparage our team.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2019, 12:25:41 pm »

and the guy he quoted didnt even imply arkansas. AW just wont pass on any chance to disparage our team.

Sounds like a Korndawg or Chokeahoma ploy on a fanbase site.

Gosh, now to think of it, where's my sweet little Barner buddies???

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2019, 09:07:02 pm »

Not sure who this is but I hope he knows what he is talking about.

https://twitter.com/arkansashogpen/status/1081685555363102721?s=21

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2019, 09:23:11 am »

Not sure who this is but I hope he knows what he is talking about.

https://twitter.com/arkansashogpen/status/1081685555363102721?s=21

I hope heís half right

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2019, 09:26:39 am »

I hope heís half right

Huge Ben Hicks fan?

Iím just messing iíd take either

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2019, 09:56:51 am »

Huge Ben Hicks fan?

Iím just messing iíd take either

That's like saying I'd take either Blake Bortles/Nathan Petterman or Cam Newton.

One is gonna make a difference the other is another warm body.

Going from Ty to Hicks is like going from AJ Derby to Casey Dick. Is it an improvement?
 Yeah a little. Is it enough to make that much of a difference? Probably not.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2019, 10:39:42 am »

That's like saying I'd take either Blake Bortles/Nathan Petterman or Cam Newton.

One is gonna make a difference the other is another warm body.

Going from Ty to Hicks is like going from AJ Derby to Casey Dick. Is it an improvement?
 Yeah a little. Is it enough to make that much of a difference? Probably not.

Well Tyree Jackson is off the list.

garagelifter

• Band Nerd
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:33 am »

Really AJ Detby compaired to Casey Dick.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2019, 11:09:37 am »

Yep, declared for NFL draft which suprises me. I thought he was projected as the 12th QB taken.

garagelifter

• Band Nerd
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2019, 11:11:53 am »

Derby sorry old eyes! But just to stay with how absurd this comparison is please remember they were afraid to let Derby throw a pass! Casey Dick was a pretty good game manager. Smart enough and comfortable enough to manage game situations. Was he an out standing talent no. But he deserves more respect then to be compared to a tight ends dream of being a quarterback

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2019, 12:13:14 pm »

Yeah, i saw that too. Damn. Well, I guess it's Buechele or go with KJJ/Noland imo at this point

Pumbaa

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2019, 12:21:43 pm »

Yeah, i saw that too. Damn. Well, I guess it's Buechele or go with KJJ/Noland imo at this point

Admittedly been out of the loop for a little bit. Has Buechele stated that he is transferring yet?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2019, 12:23:57 pm »

Admittedly been out of the loop for a little bit. Has Buechele stated that he is transferring yet?

No and he won't graduate 'till May.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2019, 12:35:38 pm »

No and he won't graduate 'till May.
figures./

Hogmatic

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2019, 12:45:48 pm »

Hicks knows this Clemson offense and the terminology so there is serious value in that.

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2019, 01:02:41 pm »

I'm starting too get a strong gut feeling if we get one it's gona be Hicks.. and even though I don't think he is good enough .. that really doesnt matter cause Morris should know if his game can translate and help us at this level

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2019, 01:33:03 pm »

all signs point to that. or Starkel, who is looking better now...

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2019, 01:48:25 pm »

Well then we are sunk. Hicks is barely better than Ty, if at all. Just because he's had one more year playing in the system doesn't make him some huge improvement or at least not a big enough improvement to make a bowl. We HAVE to aim higher or why even waste our time and a scholarship?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2019, 02:01:45 pm »

I'm starting too get a strong gut feeling if we get one it's gona be Hicks.. and even though I don't think he is good enough .. that really doesnt matter cause Morris should know if his game can translate and help us at this level

And should it be Hicks, who knows? Maybe he raises his level of production when surrounded by more talent? Yes, I said more talent because it is obvious that we have more talent than SMU overall.

Now whether he is the guy or not, we still need our receivers to step up and improve on their routes, catching the ball in tight spaces and blocking on the edge and downfield. We needed that no matter who the QB turns out to be and I'm sure that isn't a point that is lost on this staff, so I expect to see a vast difference this next season after what they witnessed last season.

So, if it is Hicks, perhaps his level of play will be raised as our level of play rises as well? He isn't the guy yet, so we will see.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2019, 03:41:00 pm »

And should it be Hicks, who knows? Maybe he raises his level of production when surrounded by more talent? Yes, I said more talent because it is obvious that we have more talent than SMU overall.

Now whether he is the guy or not, we still need our receivers to step up and improve on their routes, catching the ball in tight spaces and blocking on the edge and downfield. We needed that no matter who the QB turns out to be and I'm sure that isn't a point that is lost on this staff, so I expect to see a vast difference this next season after what they witnessed last season.

So, if it is Hicks, perhaps his level of play will be raised as our level of play rises as well? He isn't the guy yet, so we will see.

More talent? He will actually have a less-talented group at receiver while facing WAY more talent on defense. That's the opposite of what you're describing.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »

More talent? He will actually have a less-talented group at receiver while facing WAY more talent on defense. That's the opposite of what you're describing.

I knew someone would say that and sure enough, you didn't disappoint. Notice I said, "more talent than SMU overall", which is true. Notice I also said that there needed to be improved play at WR in various areas of responsibility within that position.

And yes, he will be facing more competition but it isn't unusual for a player with talent to play better when surrounded by better talent. It goes without saying that the competition he will face will be better than that found in the AAC most of the time.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 04:07:31 pm »

I would prefer another option to Hicks as would many of the posters on this thread. On the plus side, he has over 9,000 yards passing and 71 TDs in his college career.

On the minus side, he has never hit even the 60s in his completion percentage in spite of having 2 WRs now in the NFL at SMU and has 33 INTs.

As far as mobility, I don't think he has anything on the guys we have. If the coaches feel strongly enough to take him in, I will give him a chance as he does know this offense better than anyone we have.

He would provide competition and push Storey and the others to learn the offense and perform better. At the very least, he would be an experienced insurance policy.

I have seen some tape and think he throws the deep ball better than what we have..

As I said, he wouldn't be my number #1 pick. We could get into a situation if we wait on Buechele to graduate that we might miss out on the other choices and he's all we could get for spring practice.

I'm glad the coaches are weighing these decisions and not us on here. If we wait on SB, would Hicks wait on us?

Maybe, because I don't think he would have Auburn and the "better" options in terms of W-L record beating down his door. And he doesn't have a prior relationship with any other staff that I know of.

If any QB could come in without spring ball, he would be the one and he would have the summer to bond with the other players and the receivers in particular.

Jackson would have been my #1 of all the possibles for a mutual fit, but Miami was going after him hard and they have a good defense in place and mainly just need a QB. Now, I guess Buechele would be #1 as far as realistic possibilities.

But I would rather take Hicks than put all our chips on Buechele and wind up with what we have..

Gus is on the hot seat and is not content with what he has after pursuing KB, so maybe Auburn puts the bum rush on SB and Gus has had success with 1 year guys.

They have more to offer a one year wonder, so Hicks might be our best realistic option when all the smoke clears.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2019, 04:34:38 pm »

I would prefer another option to Hicks as would many of the posters on this thread. On the plus side, he has over 9,000 yards passing and 71 TDs in his college career.

On the minus side, he has never hit even the 60s in his completion percentage in spite of having 2 WRs now in the NFL at SMU and has 33 INTs.

As far as mobility, I don't think he has anything on the guys we have. If the coaches feel strongly enough to take him in, I will give him a chance as he does know this offense better than anyone we have.

He would provide competition and push Storey and the others to learn the offense and perform better. At the very least, he would be an experienced insurance policy.

I have seen some tape and think he throws the deep ball better than what we have..

As I said, he wouldn't be my number #1 pick. We could get into a situation if we wait on Buechele to graduate that we might miss out on the other choices and he's all we could get for spring practice.

I'm glad the coaches are weighing these decisions and not us on here. If we wait on SB, would Hicks wait on us?

Maybe, because I don't think he would have Auburn and the "better" options in terms of W-L record beating down his door. And he doesn't have a prior relationship with any other staff that I know of.

If any QB could come in without spring ball, he would be the one and he would have the summer to bond with the other players and the receivers in particular.

Jackson would have been my #1 of all the possibles for a mutual fit, but Miami was going after him hard and they have a good defense in place and mainly just need a QB. Now, I guess Buechele would be #1 as far as realistic possibilities.

But I would rather take Hicks than put all our chips on Buechele and wind up with what we have..

Gus is on the hot seat and is not content with what he has after pursuing KB, so maybe Auburn puts the bum rush on SB and Gus has had success with 1 year guys.

They have more to offer a one year wonder, so Hicks might be our best realistic option when all the smoke clears.

I think that if we wait for a guy who comes in for the summer session, that we are making a mistake. We need someone who can be here for the spring and especially if he doesn't already know Morris' version of the RPO and the terminology that goes along with that.

Can't say that I am particularly excited about Hicks being that guy, but as I have said before, he is probably the quickest and easiest transition to be able to practice the execution of this offense in the spring and summer and that is what I believe that we need.

Now if I thought for a second that we could persuade Jalen Hurts to come here, I'd be all-in even if he isn't familiar with the Morris version of the RPO, but I just can't see that happening.

Jahog2020

• Band Nerd
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2019, 04:54:38 pm »

I think that if we wait for a guy who comes in for the summer session, that we are making a mistake. We need someone who can be here for the spring and especially if he doesn't already know Morris' version of the RPO and the terminology that goes along with that.

Can't say that I am particularly excited about Hicks being that guy, but as I have said before, he is probably the quickest and easiest transition to be able to practice the execution of this offense in the spring and summer and that is what I believe that we need.

Now if I thought for a second that we could persuade Jalen Hurts to come here, I'd be all-in even if he isn't familiar with the Morris version of the RPO, but I just can't see that happening.

I think it's a long shot us getting Jalen Hurts too, BUT I won't count our coaches and recruiters out on anyone. They've overachieves to me and everybody I think!  Who knows?  Maybe CCM can work his magic and convince Jalen to come work with these new receivers and Henry. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't/isn't Jalen's Dad a HS coach in Texas like someone we know??

I'm just saying, probably won't happen, but I'd say there is a chance!

King Kong

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2019, 04:57:56 pm »

Well, Pettway, OíGrady, Woods and Jones have talent and a year in the system. At times Jones was running wide open but we were unable to deliver the ball due to line troubles and lack of Arm strength. Iím not sure I recall Storey hitting a pass down the sideline against cover 2 all year. Hicks can make that throw

We do have the best Receiver class in the Nation coming in with Knox and Nash arriving in the spring.

King Kong

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2019, 05:15:29 pm »

I think it's a long shot us getting Jalen Hurts too, BUT I won't count our coaches and recruiters out on anyone. They've overachieves to me and everybody I think!  Who knows?  Maybe CCM can work his magic and convince Jalen to come work with these new receivers and Henry. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't/isn't Jalen's Dad a HS coach in Texas like someone we know??

I'm just saying, probably won't happen, but I'd say there is a chance!

Hurts is interesting. He could stay RS next year and try to be the Bama QB in 2 seasons.

If he transfers Auburn seems the best fit, but he is currently a Bama Legend and will remain that way..... unless he goes to Auburn.

So if he doesnít head that way his options get more interesting. TX kid TCU and Houston could be options. FAU with Kiffin I think is a long shot and Lockley at Maryland is possible. But he and Lockley didnít have a great relationship only his OC for one season and a season he barely played.

Our chances would rely on Chad Morris rep on TX as he knows Hurts dad with him being a current TX HS coach. In addition Hurts has always said great things about our fans and did want to be recruited harder by us out of HS. Is that enough to overcome a 2-10 record? Probably not.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:23:00 pm by King Kong »

Pumbaa

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2019, 05:52:50 pm »

Good news is we will know something very soon if they do plan on someone being here for spring. Bad news, it has to happen quick at this point ha

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2019, 07:08:14 pm »

that isnt even close to true. no way SMU's WRs match even just our Freshman.

presidenthog

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »

When he was throwing for 3k yards their wrs were far and away better than anyone we have.

ricepig

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2019, 07:13:03 pm »

Not compared to his(Hicks) 2017 season. He had two guys playing in the NFL he was throwing to. We have lots of potential in our freshman class, but they haven't proven it yet.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:25:08 pm by ricepig »

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2019, 08:05:23 pm »

Sutton and Quinn were upperclassmen who both play in the NFL now, and Proche may well do the same. You think we're going to have true freshman come in and immediately play at that level? And Hicks wouldn't have anywhere near the time in the pocket here either.

The Hawgman

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2019, 08:09:48 pm »

Derby sorry old eyes! But just to stay with how absurd this comparison is please remember they were afraid to let Derby throw a pass! Casey Dick was a pretty good game manager. Smart enough and comfortable enough to manage game situations. Was he an out standing talent no. But he deserves more respect then to be compared to a tight ends dream of being a quarterback
Agree
Casey was much better that conventional Hogville Hog wash

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2019, 08:26:35 pm »

he had to be able to make the throws at SMU for those guys to put up the numbers to make the NFL

a0ashle

• Hogvillian
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2019, 09:08:20 pm »

If it were Hicks, what's the hold up? It'd be done by now. My guess is we want to see our options. None of us knew who Tyree was before his name first surfaced, I bet there are others out there we haven't heard of yet.

Jahog2020

• Band Nerd
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2019, 09:14:37 pm »

Hurts is interesting. He could stay RS next year and try to be the Bama QB in 2 seasons.

If he transfers Auburn seems the best fit, but he is currently a Bama Legend and will remain that way..... unless he goes to Auburn.

So if he doesnít head that way his options get more interesting. TX kid TCU and Houston could be options. FAU with Kiffin I think is a long shot and Lockley at Maryland is possible. But he and Lockley didnít have a great relationship only his OC for one season and a season he barely played.

Our chances would rely on Chad Morris rep on TX as he knows Hurts dad with him being a current TX HS coach. In addition Hurts has always said great things about our fans and did want to be recruited harder by us out of HS. Is that enough to overcome a 2-10 record? Probably not.

I agree with almost everything you have said here.  But I think he would come here before Auburn.

And that 2-10 record didn't seem to deter some of these good recruits we have coming.  I guess we will see in the very near future what we are able to get. 

Cambridge Hog

• Varsity
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2019, 09:19:53 pm »

If u want to be a QB in the nfl, I would argue there is no better division in CFB to be in than ours. The scouts know we have a lack of talent. So a QB like Hurts doing well here vs some of the best defenses in the country is a huge feather in his cap. He doesnít have to win a natty to demonstrate he is a baller.

King Kong

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2019, 09:33:48 pm »

And that 2-10 record didn't seem to deter some of these good recruits we have coming.  I guess we will see in the very near future what we are able to get.

It did deter Kelly Bryant. Much easier to sale 2-10 to kids with 3-5 year of eligibility than someone with one remaining

Jahog2020

• Band Nerd
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »

It did deter Kelly Bryant. Much easier to sale 2-10 to kids with 3-5 year of eligibility than someone with one remaining

Of course it is... but the one we're discussing with one year left also has a coach and football smart father in his ear where KB didn't.  We also got seemingly better on the O-Line since KB made his decision.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2019, 10:03:19 pm »

If it were Hicks, what's the hold up? It'd be done by now. My guess is we want to see our options. None of us knew who Tyree was before his name first surfaced, I bet there are others out there we haven't heard of yet.

Just because it hasn't been Hicks yet doesn't mean it won't eventually be Hicks.

It's going to get interesting to see if they just decide to wait and purse a Starkel or Buechele after spring
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas