• 10,057,025 Posts
• 402,612 Topics
• 23,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QB Transfer  (Read 15421 times)

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.
Re: QB Transfer
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2019, 11:13:11 pm »

One positive about Hicks is that it doesnít automatically tell Ty he has no hope and you donít have to promise Hicks the starting job.  He and Ty would have about an even chance, each with their pluses and minuses, at winning the job and it would be more 1a and 1b in the fall where we wouldnít have to worry about drop off if one got hurt.  He would provide competent depth while KJ learns the ropes.  He canít really give us some extra wins just by his presence but he would shore up our team.

LRrazorback

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2019, 11:19:27 pm »

One positive about Hicks is that it doesnít automatically tell Ty he has no hope and you donít have to promise Hicks the starting job.  He and Ty would have about an even chance, each with their pluses and minuses, at winning the job and it would be more 1a and 1b in the fall where we wouldnít have to worry about drop off if one got hurt.  He would provide competent depth while KJ learns the ropes.  He canít really give us some extra wins just by his presence but he would shore up our team.

Ty would be number 3 on my depth chart behind hicks and noland

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2019, 11:33:29 pm »

After going down the YouTube rabbit hole, here are some observations.

Starkel has BY FAR the biggest arm. He can really open up the passing game, but he never seems to run. His main advantages are two years of eligibility (HUGE!!!!) and most probability of being drafted by the NFL. Also, have I mentioned that he has a HUGE arm?

Buechele opens up the most of the playbook. He's also a name Hogville will never get right. Like Starkel, he has two years.

Hicks looks A LOT like Storey. He has to wind up to go more than 30 yards. He does seem, to me anyway, to move through reads and find the right receiver quicker than Storey. He also only has one year.

Personally I'd take whoever commits first between Buechele and Starkel, with the deciding factor being what I want available as a play caller. If I, who have absolutely NO experience as a play caller,  had to chose I'd go with Starkel for his arm talent. Then again, Kid Craddock has forgotten more than I ever knew about football.

greenie

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2019, 11:43:25 pm »

For me, the only upside for Hicks is that he's standing on the other side of the hill...where the grass looks greener.  Ty will have been in this offense for a year and a half; I don't buy the "Hicks knows the offense" argument.  Buechele or Starkel, please.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2019, 12:27:06 am »

I think that if we wait for a guy who comes in for the summer session, that we are making a mistake. We need someone who can be here for the spring and especially if he doesn't already know Morris' version of the RPO and the terminology that goes along with that.

Can't say that I am particularly excited about Hicks being that guy, but as I have said before, he is probably the quickest and easiest transition to be able to practice the execution of this offense in the spring and summer and that is what I believe that we need.

Now if I thought for a second that we could persuade Jalen Hurts to come here, I'd be all-in even if he isn't familiar with the Morris version of the RPO, but I just can't see that happening.

I agree that we need a guy ASAP, but if the choice is Hicks NOW or Buechele/Starkel in the summer, it becomes dicey due to the difference in ability.

Ideally we'd like to get them in for spring, but IMO, Buechele or Starkel by summer would be tempting. If the coaches prefer Hicks now with the bird/bush scenario, I can deal with that.

I'd have a hard time dealing with standing pat with the baseball situation on Noland and KJ being a FR though..

The Hawgman

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2019, 06:25:41 am »

I agree that we need a guy ASAP, but if the choice is Hicks NOW or Buechele/Starkel in the summer, it becomes dicey due to the difference in ability.

Ideally we'd like to get them in for spring, but IMO, Buechele or Starkel by summer would be tempting. If the coaches prefer Hicks now with the bird/bush scenario, I can deal with that.

I'd have a hard time dealing with standing pat with the baseball situation on Noland and KJ being a FR though..
Who has the quickest release when he throws and can run with the ball and be a real running threat?
That is the man.

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:02 am »

I realize that our coaches have forgotten more about which QB's fit their offense than I know, but I just can't believe that Hicks would be a significant improvement over our current stable, plus Jefferson.

Hogmatic

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2019, 08:46:54 am »

he had to be able to make the throws at SMU for those guys to put up the numbers to make the NFL

Bingo

searkhogfan

• Senior
  • TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS, OH MY !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2019, 09:19:17 am »

Iím for whomever CCM & his staff sign.  Because I feel confident that our Razorback Head Coach knows more than anyone posting on Hogville.  Woo Pig

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2019, 09:32:55 am »

Gardner Minshew wasnt much at East Carolina... Turned out to be pretty good for Washington state.... Hicks was decent at SMU... could be good or bad for arkansas. If hes the option you do it. Even more competition in the QB room... This time at least one of the guys knows the whole playbook and can/has ran it at full speed. #Hammerdown

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:04 am »

Gardner Minshew wasnt much at East Carolina... Turned out to be pretty good for Washington state.... Hicks was decent at SMU... could be good or bad for arkansas. If hes the option you do it. Even more competition in the QB room... This time at least one of the guys knows the whole playbook and can/has ran it at full speed. #Hammerdown

Minshew joined a team with a well established coach and system that had won 9 games the year before.  He wasn't coming in and asked to do much. He didn't have to help change the cultural, add a new dimension, install the playbook, improve team leadership and morale etc.  He helped the team to a 2 win differential which was great but I'd say WSU did as much for Minshew as Minshew did for them.

It's a great example of a journeyman finally have success but context is important.

Hicks, a QB with a career losing record and a losing season last year would be coming to a team with 2-10 record the year before.   

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:39 am »

I think Hicks would actually be a pretty dramatic improvement.

Wildhog

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2019, 10:46:23 am »

I think Hicks would actually be a pretty dramatic improvement.

I'm not sold on Hicks but you have to bring in somebody. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:12 am »

I'm not sold on Hicks but you have to bring in somebody. 
If you cant get a stud.... at least bring someone in that knows the system to the fullest and let him battle it out.

010HogFan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:17 am »

People saying that Hicks would increase competition in the QB room, but we shouldn't even use a scholarship on a grad transfer if there is going to be another big competition that drags into the season again to where we are swapping back and forth ala 2017. Go get a guy that's going to be the guy from day one or don't get anyone at all...

a0ashle

• Hogvillian
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2019, 11:01:38 am »

People saying that Hicks would increase competition in the QB room, but we shouldn't even use a scholarship on a grad transfer if there is going to be another big competition that drags into the season again to where we are swapping back and forth ala 2017. Go get a guy that's going to be the guy from day one or don't get anyone at all...

There is territory in the middle that you've discounted entirely. Improving a QB room and having competition, doesn't necessarily mean dragging out 4 games.

I'll concede that isn't likely the goal at this point which is why it isn't a done deal yet, but I think if that's the option left then it's better then going into next year with what we have.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2019, 11:40:34 am »

The biggest upside to Hicks would be that one hit on Storey wouldn't totally derail the season.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2019, 12:17:34 pm »

Completely agree with this ^^^

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2019, 01:12:43 pm »

Hicks has a quick release and throws a nice deep ball.  That right there is a major improvement over what we have.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2019, 02:04:16 pm »

Hicks has a quick release and throws a nice deep ball.  That right there is a major improvement over what we have.

That quick release and nice deep ball sure finds it's way into the defense a lot. An American conference defense I might add.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2019, 02:16:06 pm »

There is territory in the middle that you've discounted entirely. Improving a QB room and having competition, doesn't necessarily mean dragging out 4 games.

I'll concede that isn't likely the goal at this point which is why it isn't a done deal yet, but I think if that's the option left then it's better then going into next year with what we have.

Yeah I trust the staff and all, I just don't get the warm fuzzies when I hear of someone legitimately competing with Ty for the spot, because that means...yeesh...I do think Hicks is probably a better option, but I'm sad we can't get someone better. This team could look night and day different with a playmaker at QB.

Pork Ranger

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2019, 02:32:40 pm »

Iím for whomever CCM & his staff sign.  Because I feel confident that our Razorback Head Coach knows more than anyone posting on Hogville.  Woo Pig

Lots of people said that about Bret, too.

However, I actually believe CCM will get us back on the right track.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2019, 02:35:57 pm »

I don't think CCM's problem is identifying who can help us, it's actually getting one of those targets here. I think he can get them ready in time.

SWMrshogfan

• Band Nerd
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2019, 03:19:38 pm »

:o

To be a big time program we HAVE to get rid of this kind of attitude, man. It sounds like something JOHN WHITE would say.

Exactly!!

searkhogfan

• Senior
  • TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS, OH MY !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2019, 03:24:19 pm »

Lots of people said that about Bret, too.

However, I actually believe CCM will get us back on the right track.

People have that about every coach weíve ever had.  But CCM is putting together one of the best classes weíve ever had. So I put a little more weight on his decisions of who he signs

a0ashle

• Hogvillian
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2019, 03:40:03 pm »

People have that about every coach weíve ever had.  But CCM is putting together one of the best classes weíve ever had. So I put a little more weight on his decisions of who he signs

Because we really have no choice but to trust the coach, we get no input and can only scream into the void. Now if that is worrisome to some folks, I'd remind them that no one on this board has their career on the line and no one has higher stakes the CCM to get it right.

Hawgphat

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2019, 04:32:10 pm »

I'm in no position to judge or opine in regard to which potentially available grad QB transfer would best fit our particular needs, - - - IF WE TRULY NEED to bring another QB on board.  I simply cannot personally justify adding one more QB to our roster who may be only marginally "better" than what we have on hand.

As a matter of personal perspective, I'd MUCH rather have one sharp car that could easily cruise at over 120 MPH - - rather than to have seven old crates - none of which are capable of exceeding 70 MPH.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2019, 04:52:49 pm »

I'm in no position to judge or opine in regard to which potentially available grad QB transfer would best fit our particular needs, - - - IF WE TRULY NEED to bring another QB on board.  I simply cannot personally justify adding one more QB to our roster who may be only marginally "better" than what we have on hand.

As a matter of personal perspective, I'd MUCH rather have one sharp car that could easily cruise at over 120 MPH - - rather than to have seven old crates - none of which are capable of exceeding 70 MPH.

you would if marginally better is the difference in going to a bowl or not.  Hell even if its the difference in a win or two you take them.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2019, 04:58:26 pm »

You just need to study more film evidently, look at how many of these guys can say with certainty which one of these QB's are better than the other, without them ever being on the field together with any of them, or ever seeing all of them on the field at the same time.
I have no idea why the NFL hasn't tapped into the scouting knowledge we have. ::)

The Hawgman

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2019, 08:18:00 pm »

If he can out run me at 62 I say sign him up.

checkraiser88

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2019, 09:03:39 pm »

Hicks is a fine QB and he'll be even better with these new WR's coming in. A perfect experienced QB that knows Morris's playbook. It gives the younger QB's a year to develop. I think Hicks should be at least our fall back plan at this point.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2019, 09:06:04 pm »

Hicks is a fine QB and he'll be even better with these new WR's coming in. A perfect experienced QB that knows Morris's playbook. It gives the younger QB's a year to develop. I think Hicks should be at least our fall back plan at this point.

Hicks is better than people on here have been giving him credit for.

That said he does have flaws

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2019, 09:16:49 pm »

Joe Adams, Jarious Wright And Cobi all had about 400 receiving yards thier FR year.  All of these WRs are ranked similar to the incoming WRs.  Burks may be a little more highly regarded, but not by much.  I think your setting your self up for disappointment if your expecting more than 400 yards from these guys in their FR year.

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2019, 09:20:28 pm »

A few points:  Ty basically just finished his Freshman year after being out of football for the past, I believe, 3 years.  He may be better after getting on the field for a season, much better. 

Also, it may not be well known in Arkansas, but OU signed three, 5 star WRs in this recruiting class.   They got the #1, #2 and #4 WRs in this signing class and I believe they were all in the top 100 of all recruits, Nationwide, for this class.  They got the third WR to sign or agree within the past 2 or 3 days.

Another point:  Many of us declare how we are trusting the HC, blah, blah, blah, because he is so much better than we are at knowing.  In nearly everything football, that is soooooo true.  In the case of Bret, he knew, he could have, but he wasn't inspired and basically didn't give a darn.  We should have seen that when he put his Buddy's son in as the #2 QB based more on the Kid desiring to play the position rather than knowing how to play the position.  Derby got QB on his resume at our expense.

The Hawgman

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2019, 09:40:37 pm »

A few points:  Ty basically just finished his Freshman year after being out of football for the past, I believe, 3 years.  He may be better after getting on the field for a season, much better. 

Also, it may not be well known in Arkansas, but OU signed three, 5 star WRs in this recruiting class.   They got the #1, #2 and #4 WRs in this signing class and I believe they were all in the top 100 of all recruits, Nationwide, for this class.  They got the third WR to sign or agree within the past 2 or 3 days.

Another point:  Many of us declare how we are trusting the HC, blah, blah, blah, because he is so much better than we are at knowing.  In nearly everything football, that is soooooo true.  In the case of Bret, he knew, he could have, but he wasn't inspired and basically didn't give a darn.  We should have seen that when he put his Buddy's son in as the #2 QB based more on the Kid desiring to play the position rather than knowing how to play the position.  Derby got QB on his resume at our expense.
To be fair CCM is a notch above doughboy in aggressiveness and energy. BUT at this point he has not proven he can make decisions (QB and not taking control of the team) or know how to win.
This QB transfer deal and the finish to this class is big for Hammerdown.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2019, 09:50:26 pm »

To be fair CCM is a notch above doughboy in aggressiveness and energy. BUT at this point he has not proven he can make decisions (QB and not taking control of the team) or know how to win.
This QB transfer deal and the finish to this class is big for Hammerdown.

Astute observation.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2019, 10:10:03 pm »

Hicks is better than people on here have been giving him credit for.

That said he does have flaws

Iím most excited about his -0.7 ypc rushing average. The added dimension he will bring to the RPO gives me the chills. Heís the dynamic playmaker Chad Morris needs to install that Clemson offense. Plus the leadership he brings. Will have instant respect in the locker room being able to say I led a team to 5 wins then 7 then 5 again. Heís the real deal.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:28 pm »

This is his fourth year on campus can people stop saying it was his freshman year.  Iíve never heard anyone say that about any other player who just started.  Guess QBs are a different breed who need to be handled with kid gloves.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2019, 10:17:39 pm »

Iím most excited about his -0.7 ypc rushing average. The added dimension he will bring to the RPO gives me the chills. Heís the dynamic playmaker Chad Morris needs to install that Clemson offense. Plus the leadership he brings. Will have instant respect in the locker room being able to say I led a team to 5 wins then 7 then 5 again. Heís the real deal.

How many wins do our QBs have again?

King Kong

« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2019, 10:27:24 pm »

Well, that includes sacks which Hicks has averaged around 23 per season. But if you prefer Tyís 2.2 average whatever

Hawgphat

« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:25 pm »

I don't know what I don't know.

Not only do I KNOW nothing; - - - I SUSPECT nothing.

I have no clue as to what fortunes next football season will bring to the Hogs, - - - - with OR without the addition of a grad QB transfer.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2019, 11:25:25 pm »

Well, that includes sacks which Hicks has averaged around 23 per season. But if you prefer Tyís 2.2 average whatever

Hmm I guess I missed where I mentioned Tyís name in my post. In fact Iíve said repeatedly Ty should be viewed as a grad transfer in that if the coaches donít think he can lead the year to significant improvement meaning six wins or more next year there is no reason investing a season in him when the reps could go to KJ or Connor. The only reason to bring a grad transfer in is if there is a high probability he can get you 6 wins. If not itís better to invest in development. I donít see Hicks being able to make a 4 game difference in the SEC
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:56:44 am by Dwight_K_Shrute »

hogfansince79

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:39 am »

Here's some research I posted the other day...

I looked up the sacks allowed stats for the last year Hicks played for CCM (2017).

23 sacks for -144 yards for SMU as a team.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Hicks official sack stats for 2017 was 21 sacks...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3916208/ben-hicks

Rafe Peavey had 1 sack for -8 yards, and D.J. Gillins had 1 sack as well.  I couldn't find the yards on his sack, but let's just say for easy figuring it was for a -8 yards also.

So. that would be -16 yards off the total of -144, which would equal 128 lost yards on 21 sacks for Hicks.

Hicks official rushing totals for 2017 was 54 carries for 47 yards.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2567/year/2017

21 of those carries were sacks for -128 yards.  So, to get to what he really rushed for, we need to add the 128 to 47 for a total of 175 yards, and subtract 21 from the 54 carries for a total of 33.

So, if my math is correct that would be 33 carries for 175 yards, or 5.3 yards per carry. Certainly not a burner, but not as bad as people think. 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2019, 10:58:46 am »

Joe Adams, Jarious Wright And Cobi all had about 400 receiving yards thier FR year.  All of these WRs are ranked similar to the incoming WRs.  Burks may be a little more highly regarded, but not by much.  I think your setting your self up for disappointment if your expecting more than 400 yards from these guys in their FR year.

Knox and Nash are coming in early and will go through spring practice, so they'll be ahead of where any of those you listed were as freshman.  Also, all the WR's we have coming in are bigger than those you named, which is a HUGE advantage.  Burks (if healthy) will surprise you at just how good he is. 

hogfansince79

« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2019, 11:01:38 am »

Hmm I guess I missed where I mentioned Tyís name in my post. In fact Iíve said repeatedly Ty should be viewed as a grad transfer in that if the coaches donít think he can lead the year to significant improvement meaning six wins or more next year there is no reason investing a season in him when the reps could go to KJ or Connor. The only reason to bring a grad transfer in is if there is a high probability he can get you 6 wins. If not itís better to invest in development. I donít see Hicks being able to make a 4 game difference in the SEC

I think Hicks could be an investment in development.  Hicks enrolled at SMU in Jan. 2015.  He was in CCM's system for about 3 years, starting the last 2 years.  If he signs to play here, it will be his 4th year in CCM's offense.  Think about that for a second.  I'm not saying he's going to set the SEC on fire... but, I believe the other QB's (especially KJ) could benefit from his first hand knowledge running this offense.

ricepig

« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2019, 11:07:20 am »

This is his fourth year on campus can people stop saying it was his freshman year.  Iíve never heard anyone say that about any other player who just started.  Guess QBs are a different breed who need to be handled with kid gloves.

Yeah, that made zero sense, but there has to be some excuse, correct?

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2019, 11:10:04 am »

Knox and Nash are coming in early and will go through spring practice, so they'll be ahead of where any of those you listed were as freshman.  Also, all the WR's we have coming in are bigger than those you named, which is a HUGE advantage.  Burks (if healthy) will surprise you at just how good he is. 
Burks is gonna surprise a many hog fans..lol

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2019, 12:24:18 pm »

Burks is gonna surprise a many hog fans..lol

Let's just put him at QB and run read option

imtad16

« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2019, 05:34:34 pm »

Another one looks to be off the table. I guess he could still transfer after spring, but obviously if a guy can be here by spring coming in the summer isn't ideal. Sam Howell signing with UNC leaving FSU with no current QB in this class probably helped his decision to stay(or at least with no additional competition besides Blackmon).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/deondre-francois-reportedly-returning-to-florida-state-to-compete-for-starting-qb-job/

imtad16

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2019, 05:40:24 pm »

Starting feel like it will be Hicks or no one with Jackson and Francois off the table and Starkel looks to be going back to A&M for spring. Starkel or Buechele could decide to transfer in the summer after giving it a go for 1 more spring I guess though. I wonder if we push Hicks off to the summer to wait on guys like Starkel and Buechele? I would still like to see us pursue Wimbush, but with no previous ties to the staff or any smoke whatsoever to this point that doesn't feel likely.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas