• 10,058,682 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QB Transfer  (Read 15438 times)

GA reddiehog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
QB Transfer
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:45 am »

Any word on a possible QB transfer?  Does the dead period pertain to transfers also?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: QB Transfer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:16:14 am »

I would think the grad transfer talk will start to heat up within the next week.  The bowls are over, there is end of season interviews and stuff that must happen and such.  Then names will start to enter the transfer portal, which I guess is either public info or at least "journalist" have access to it.  You will start to see names leak I would think any day, unless all that has already leaked is all there is left.

I think the big name left Arkansas fans are hopeful to transfer is Buechele (sp?) from Texas. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

davehog

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:47:40 am »

Classes at the U of A start on Jan. 14th so if a spring transfer happens, there's a very tight window of time that it needs to happen. 

Beuchele at Texas would be a great addition but I'm holding out hope for Tyree Jackson from Buffalo. 

I fear that if we don't start hearing some information on this very soon that we won't be getting a spring grad QB transfer.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:58:32 am »

Classes at the U of A start on Jan. 14th so if a spring transfer happens, there's a very tight window of time that it needs to happen. 

Beuchele at Texas would be a great addition but I'm holding out hope for Tyree Jackson from Buffalo. 

I fear that if we don't start hearing some information on this very soon that we won't be getting a spring grad QB transfer.

Do transfers fall under dead period rules?

presidenthog

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:12:05 am »

I seen us auburn and FL ST mentioned in an article for tyree

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:54:53 am »

Do transfers fall under dead period rules?

I don't know for sure. I would think they do, but the portal thing may change that. It would be tampering to contact a guy not in the portal, but if one is in the portal, anyone should be able to contact them.

But this is the NCAA we're talking about, so common sense and logic do not apply..

ricepig

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 11:57:58 am »

Pretty sure the 18th would be the last day to be admitted, assuming one had been accepted into the Masters program they are pursuing.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:59:33 pm »

Pretty sure the 18th would be the last day to be admitted, assuming one had been accepted into the Masters program they are pursuing.

If 10th first day of contact/visits, thatís a tight window.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 02:30:06 pm »

Any word on a possible QB transfer?  Does the dead period pertain to transfers also?

The grad QB market is kinda 3 layers. 1. The players who decided during season they were transferring and opted to redshirt. Basically Kelly Bryant. 2. Second layer is the ones who decide after first semester and bowl games they are transferring. Obviously the names have been out there in this group so far of Tyree, Wimbush etc. I expect a few more following the game on Monday. 3. The third layer is those that announce after spring football they are leaving and would become available in early June etc. Arkansas is willing to wait until after spring if that gives them a shot at getting someone who fits. Now obviously they hoping to find that match here before school starts back on Jan 14. Nothing has been settled on one player. They are checking all areas on this position.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 02:33:05 pm »

that is my understanding on this too ricepig is Jan. 18 is last day to be admitted for spring semester. I never will forget though, and it wasn't grad transfer, but Jason Peacock who was JUCO guy that Petrino and then got in way after the deadline to attend a class that semester. I mean a couple of weeks or more past that deadline and they pulled that off somehow.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 02:39:52 pm »

If we want the kid, getting him into any program he wants to enroll on time should not be a problem.  If it is we do not need to be in the SEC.  I'm not talking about cheating per se just clearing all obstacles and expediting the enrollment.

Also if the dead period applies to grad transfers then I hope to hell they are utilizing back channel type means.  Again not cheating but taking advantage of any means necessary to let a kid know he would be welcome here and sending him links to all the top 10 lists Fayetteville/NWA make.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 02:43:29 pm »

If we want the kid, getting him into any program he wants to enroll on time should not be a problem.  If it is we do not need to be in the SEC.  I'm not talking about cheating per se just clearing all obstacles and expediting the enrollment.

Also if the dead period applies to grad transfers then I hope to hell they are utilizing back channel type means.  Again not cheating but taking advantage of any means necessary to let a kid know he would be welcome here and sending him links to all the top 10 lists Fayetteville/NWA make.

If there is a QB they want and he is interested in them I look for them to bring him in next weekend when visits can start again.

GA reddiehog

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 03:12:16 pm »

Thanks for all the good posts!!  It is what I was hoping to get.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 03:14:38 pm »

The only thing I really want to know about a grad transfer QB is how big a bottle I need and when to pop it. 

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 03:18:45 pm »

Speaking of Tyree here's a little bit of analysis from a really good NFL draft site.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/06/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-tyree-jackson/

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 03:52:57 pm »

Speaking of Tyree here's a little bit of analysis from a really good NFL draft site.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/06/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-tyree-jackson/

Lot's of upside just needs to work on mechanics/details.  Seemed to be more good than bad especially from a college perspective.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 04:41:11 pm »

Lot's of upside just needs to work on mechanics/details.  Seemed to be more good than bad especially from a college perspective.

Yeah. Not to brag but it's pretty much what I said several days ago about him. His mechanics are really bad but he has tons of potential and unteachable raw talent.

rzrbkman

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 05:08:17 pm »

I did not think that the grad transfers were subject to the dead period because they are already no longer connected to their former schools, are college graduates, and are free to discuss with any other college, at anytime, where the transfer would like to further their education.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 05:29:13 pm »

Wasn't it Seth Oxner, 2 year starter for the Hogs at Center, who tried to gain admission to grad school at Arkansas and was denied, so he transferred to a Div II in-state school (Ark-Monticello?) to finish out his last year of eligibility? Have I got that story straight? Seems like Petrino was overwhelmingly pissed that Arkansas wouldn't grant him admission to the Grad Program so he could stay and play his final year at Arkansas?

If that is correct, I sure hope that the PTB will help the process be more friendly should Morris find someone he likes and wants, that needs to be in the Grad Program.

southeasthog

• Resident Inspector
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 05:49:13 pm »

Wasn't it Seth Oxner, 2 year starter for the Hogs at Center, who tried to gain admission to grad school at Arkansas and was denied, so he transferred to a Div II in-state school (Ark-Monticello?) to finish out his last year of eligibility? Have I got that story straight? Seems like Petrino was overwhelmingly pissed that Arkansas wouldn't grant him admission to the Grad Program so he could stay and play his final year at Arkansas?

If that is correct, I sure hope that the PTB will help the process be more friendly should Morris find someone he likes and wants, that needs to be in the Grad Program.

Yes that is what happened with Seth. He now coaches at Monticello HS.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 06:01:41 pm »

I thought that was right. My issue with that is that we need the help and the cooperation of the school if Morris finds someone he wants and needs him to get into grad school. I don't know why that didn't happen for Oxner, who as an Arkansas grad who was already on the team and could have helped the team as a two year starter, but they apparently chose to not make it happen for him. 

UnknownNobody

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 06:15:39 pm »

I thought that was right. My issue with that is that we need the help and the cooperation of the school if Morris finds someone he wants and needs him to get into grad school. I don't know why that didn't happen for Oxner, who as an Arkansas grad who was already on the team and could have helped the team as a two year starter, but they apparently chose to not make it happen for him.

Yeah, the admissions folks for the program he applied to dug their heels in and refused to accept him, they said they had other more qualified candidates.

Pigs in Zen

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 06:26:43 pm »

Yeah, the admissions folks for the program he applied to dug their heels in and refused to accept him, they said they had other more qualified candidates.

Great information Unknown, I forgot that you had worked with the Athletic Department during that time.

Marshfieldhog

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 06:43:36 pm »

This is why we will never be a player in the SEC. Those big schools make it happen.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 07:01:28 pm »

This is why we will never be a player in the SEC. Those big schools make it happen.

Agreed, between the academics throwing up roadblocks and the FPD targeting players in a way no other schools have to deal with I have always wondered.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 07:13:36 pm »

That's just wrong.

presidenthog

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 08:03:23 pm »

That's just wrong.

Its true sadly. Being big time requires everyone in town on board

bulldog04

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 08:05:47 pm »

I though Swanson was just better than him and beat him out

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 08:28:12 pm »

However things might have worked out I have seen few years (if any) that we couldn't use another 6-5, 315 lb. O-lineman with two years of starting experience in the SEC.

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 08:57:38 pm »

That's just wrong.
Unless you are the more qualified kid that got that spot in school that was open.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 09:21:40 pm »

However things might have worked out I have seen few years (if any) that we couldn't use another 6-5, 315 lb. O-lineman with two years of starting experience in the SEC.
his academic adviser shoulda got ran.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 09:22:14 pm »

Unless you are the more qualified kid that got that spot in school that was open.
:o

More qualified HOW? Oxner had to spend like 80 hours a week on football. If it was even close, HE was the more qualified one. Exceptions should have been made.

To be a big time program we HAVE to get rid of this kind of attitude, man. It sounds like something JOHN WHITE would say.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 09:24:24 pm »

Iím ok with that actually, however we canít be mad when we are t upper echelon in athletics.  Iím guessing though this new administration could get those type of things done. 

UnknownNobody

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:27 pm »

I think the plan was to move Oxner to Guard.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 09:45:51 pm »

I think the determining factor was more along the lines of they only had so many slots for UA grads and the others were for grads of other Universities. It was a philosophy of how diverse they wanted the program to be, Oxner had the grades and test scores.

presidenthog

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:53 pm »

I think the determining factor was more along the lines of they only had so many slots for UA grads and the others were for grads of other Universities. It was a philosophy of how diverse they wanted the program to be, Oxner had the grades and test scores.

Aka white males are bad

UnknownNobody

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 10:10:23 pm »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 05:51:47 am »

I apologize, I was responsible for this thread going a different direction than the OP intended. I just meant that I hoped that the diversity goals of the school with regard to decision making about admittance to grad spots, might include young men who are essentially working a full time job while also attending school. Especially for those who have graduated from Arkansas.

As for who Morris might be able to land as a Grad Transfer, I have no idea. The smoothest transition might be the guy from SMU because he already knows the Morris style of offense. I think that Hurts from Alabama would be a longshot. All of the others may know how to run an RPO style of offense, but all of these offenses are slightly different from one another and they would have to learn the terminology. I'm not saying that we might not find a "gem" in the bunch, but I wouldn't expect that alone to turn the offense around. Lots of moving parts that all have to work together as a unit in next to perfect timing. JMO

oldhawg

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 07:23:41 am »

All of the others may know how to run an RPO style of offense, but all of these offenses are slightly different from one another and they would have to learn the terminology. I'm not saying that we might not find a "gem" in the bunch, but I wouldn't expect that alone to turn the offense around. Lots of moving parts that all have to work together as a unit in next to perfect timing. JMO

This thought has been in the back of my mind all along during the discussions of a "one and done" grad transfer quarterback.  Just makes me wonder if the time would be as well spent bringing along Jefferson in real game situations and developing his skills.

I know that is playing for the future, and Morris wants to win now, and the coaches certainly have better insight to the situation than fans, but the questions about bringing in a grad transfer quarterback have lingered. I have also wondered if signing another quarterback might be influenced by the commitment of an as yet unnamed talent (any position) that has shown recent interest in Arkansas.

Will just have to trust the coaches on this one (without criticism).   

The Hawgman

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 09:17:51 am »

This thought has been in the back of my mind all along during the discussions of a "one and done" grad transfer quarterback.  Just makes me wonder if the time would be as well spent bringing along Jefferson in real game situations and developing his skills.

I know that is playing for the future, and Morris wants to win now, and the coaches certainly have better insight to the situation than fans, but the questions about bringing in a grad transfer quarterback have lingered. I have also wondered if signing another quarterback might be influenced by the commitment of an as yet unnamed talent (any position) that has shown recent interest in Arkansas.

Will just have to trust the coaches on this one (without criticism).   
There is no doubt if they can get the right transfer it could mean 4 to 6 wins we might not get otherwise.
But I donít think they will take one if they donít think it will impact likelihood for additional wins.
program and coaches needs wins next year

UnknownNobody

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 09:47:55 am »

I apologize, I was responsible for this thread going a different direction than the OP intended. I just meant that I hoped that the diversity goals of the school with regard to decision making about admittance to grad spots, might include young men who are essentially working a full time job while also attending school. Especially for those who have graduated from Arkansas.

As for who Morris might be able to land as a Grad Transfer, I have no idea. The smoothest transition might be the guy from SMU because he already knows the Morris style of offense. I think that Hurts from Alabama would be a longshot. All of the others may know how to run an RPO style of offense, but all of these offenses are slightly different from one another and they would have to learn the terminology. I'm not saying that we might not find a "gem" in the bunch, but I wouldn't expect that alone to turn the offense around. Lots of moving parts that all have to work together as a unit in next to perfect timing. JMO

I think Morris is wanting a grad trans that is better than what he has on campus because he understands the importance of winning now, not because he is worried about his seat being "hot" but because of recruiting. They were able to sell playing time and helping to turn around a bad program before and now they need to be able to say "see we are improving but we need you to take it to the next level"

He has also said he wants to bring in another QB because competition makes you better which is a nice way of saying "I'm bringing someone in to take your job step up or step off"  The point being he isn't going to coddle kids who don't move the program forward.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 09:56:51 am »

If there is a QB they want and he is interested in them I look for them to bring him in next weekend when visits can start again.

This. Next weekend will tell the tale. Hopefully we have more than one coming in to take a look at us.

ricepig

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 09:57:04 am »

What was the graduate work in?

havok

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 10:07:14 am »

I am curious and wanna see what Jalen Hurts does.  He has been a 100% total class act in everything so far, and think he (Based on what happens Monday evening) will have a hard decision to make.  Evidently he loves Bama, so If he stayed It wouldn't surprise me.

Even if he stays, I think an NFL team seeing how he is such a team player, even if not the starter, would be drafted somewhere in Mid to late rounds.  A Selfless guy like that, is someone you find a place for on your roster.  When I see what the New Orleans Saints have done with Taysom Hill, other teams may try to have their own version of a Hybrid 3rd QB/RB/Receiver/Special teams guy, and Hurts could possibly be that kind of guy.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 10:11:33 am »

I am curious and wanna see what Jalen Hurts does.  He has been a 100% total class act in everything so far, and think he (Based on what happens Monday evening) will have a hard decision to make.  Evidently he loves Bama, so If he stayed It wouldn't surprise me.

Even if he stays, I think an NFL team seeing how he is such a team player, even if not the starter, would be drafted somewhere in Mid to late rounds.  A Selfless guy like that, is someone you find a place for on your roster.  When I see what the New Orleans Saints have done with Taysom Hill, other teams may try to have their own version of a Hybrid 3rd QB/RB/Receiver/Special teams guy, and Hurts could possibly be that kind of guy.

I think you're onto something. The Bama fan base and even some outside of it, are showing Jalen love for his sticking with Bama.

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2019, 10:18:15 am »

Hurts will either stay at Alabama or go to a winning program.

Stay or go. He isnít coming to Arkansas.

GA reddiehog

• Varsity
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:41 am »

I think if Hurts leaves Bama it will be for OK.  I'm thinking he would rather play somewhere besides the SEC.  If he stays in the SEC, I think he goes to Auburn.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 10:58:47 am »

I think if Hurts leaves Bama it will be for OK.  I'm thinking he would rather play somewhere besides the SEC.  If he stays in the SEC, I think he goes to Auburn.

he's not transferring to AL's rival. I think you're right about OK, though.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 10:58:54 am »

good. wouldnt want.

and that guy you quoted didnt say anyhting about him coming here. But, never miss a chance to disparage the Hogs.

havok

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 11:08:26 am »

Never said he was even remotely coming to Ark.. I just said I was curious to see how "He" handles the issue of transferring or staying.  I believe if he does leave, he will go outside the conference.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas