• 10,151,076 Posts
• 405,091 Topics
• 23,124 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2019 Football Hogs Predictions  (Read 1934 times)

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
2019 Football Hogs Predictions
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:38:23 am »

Prediction #1. Arkansas will complete their 2019 recruiting class on signing day, Feb 6, and finish with a consensus Top 20 class (top 15 on rivals).
Prediction #2. Depending on which transfer QB Arkansas gets, IF they get one at all, Ty Storey will emerge from spring practice as the starting QB. Jefferson will make some great plays, and many fans will be clamoring for the freshman to be the starter, but Storey will take the first snap versus Portland St.
Prediction #3. Rakeem Boyd will break the 1,000 yard rushing barrier in 2019.
Prediction #4. McTelvin Agim, DeJon Harris, and Ryan Pulley will finish 2019 on the 1st Team All-SEC defense.
Prediction #5. DeJon Harris will lead the team in tackles, and Dorian Gerald will lead the team in sacks. 
Prediction #6. Treylon Burks, Trey Knox, Silas Robinson, Billy Ferrell, and Mataio Soli will all be on the SEC All-Freshman Team.
Prediction #7. Arkansas' 2020 recruiting class will not be ranked as high as 2019 (mostly due to lower in-state numbers), but it will still be in the top 30 and will be a solid class.
Prediction #8. Cheyenne O'Grady will be a finalist for the Mackey Award.
Prediction #9. Cheyenne O'Grady, Myron Cunningham, and Rakeem Boyd will finish 2019 on the 1st Team All-SEC offense.
Prediction #10. The 2019 Arkansas Razorbacks will finish the regular season 7-5, 3-5 in SEC. The Hogs will have victories over all four non-conference opponents, as well as SEC wins over Ole Miss, Miss St, and will break the seven game losing streak to Texas A&M (the Hogs are DUE). I also predict the Hogs will play in either the Liberty Bowl or the Music City Bowl.

jst01

Re: 2019 Football Hogs Predictions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 08:41:07 am »

if #7 happens, then its going to be a rough next four years.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 08:43:23 am »

Really? Explain your reasoning, please. The 2021 class should be another good one!

jst01

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:50:08 am »

Really? Explain your reasoning, please. The 2021 class should be another good one!

Well if you dont get players as talented as your opponents, then your team will have a hill to climb. And I refuse to look two years into the future at recruiting and have any belief in what a high school kid will do that far ahead...its already hard to have faith in them when they are 'committing' a couple months ahead of signing day.

Morris will have to stack several really good classes on top of each other to have some real success here. Like three years of top 20 classes (top half of SEC) at the minimum.

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:11 am »

I'm worried your prediction #2 is correct. And if so, 7 wins is a stretch

LRhawg926

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 08:58:29 am »

We aren't beating the aggies for awhile I'm afraid....

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:28 am »

I'm not making any predictions until after the spring game and even then, any predictions I make will be made with caution.

Seebs

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 09:10:10 am »

I predict that this thread will not be fruitful. What do we know now we didn't know in October?

Get a QB and then star ta prediction thread.

Boredom is a killer.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 09:13:43 am »

Exactly ↑.

rhames

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 09:15:40 am »

Where is Jefferson going to make great plays?

He doesn't get here till June.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 09:18:51 am »

5-7 next year is a whole lot more do able and more realistic but hope your right.

scooby21322

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 09:27:45 am »

I think #2 is wrong.  A grad-transfer will come in and be the primary starter next year.  No qualifier needed.  I think that will happen and Storey won't see the field unless the grad-transfer is injured or during mop up duty.

Assuming I'm right about #2, 6 wins.  If I'm wrong and there isn't a grad-transfer, 4-5 wins.

Hogmatic

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 09:48:44 am »

No it isn't.  We will not sign as many players as we did this year.   The 2020 class won't have 4 and 5 star players in Arkansas based on the 5-6 players I see in lists now.   Not one 4 star player in state right now and only four 3 stars.   I expect us to still sign the same player rating average which is more important in most circles.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 10:07:56 am »

Well if you dont get players as talented as your opponents, then your team will have a hill to climb. And I refuse to look two years into the future at recruiting and have any belief in what a high school kid will do that far ahead...its already hard to have faith in them when they are 'committing' a couple months ahead of signing day.

Morris will have to stack several really good classes on top of each other to have some real success here. Like three years of top 20 classes (top half of SEC) at the minimum.
Wow, THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

THRILLING insight!

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 10:16:22 am »

We aren't beating the aggies for awhile I'm afraid....

So we might lose 15 straight to the aggies?

jst01

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 10:21:51 am »

Wow, THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

THRILLING insight!

I know, right.  Apparently it was required when I said that it would be a rough four years if recruiting worsened, and the OP asked me for my "reasoning". 

LRhawg926

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 10:26:05 am »

So we might lose 15 straight to the aggies?

Didn't say that, I just don't see it for atleast the next few. Aggies will be a monster in the west.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 11:00:29 am »

6 Hogs on the 1st team All-SEC?

We aren't Bama.

isavedjazz

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 11:14:27 am »

7 wins? You’re setting yourself up for heartbreak my brother

Blumpkin

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 11:18:36 am »

4 wins
5 if the stars align

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 11:29:32 am »

5-7

Hoginsavga

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 05:56:21 pm »

We were way too unsettled going into the 2018 season, especially at QB. That shouldn’t happen in 2019. Probably costs us a win against CSU and NTU, with 6 interceptions and the fake fair catch. That’s two wins we gave up. Then the key injuries to our best two running backs and QB when we had a two score lead cost us the Ole Miss game. Those three games would have put us at 5-7 for the year even as bad as we were.

Also consider we played A&M and LSU to 7 point losses. We gave A&M a touchdown on the opening kickoff but matched them point per point afterwards. LSU probably should have scored another touchdown at the end of the game but didn’t. So one of those games could have resulted in a win with a little improvement. That would have put us at 6-6.

The team actually started showing improvement against Auburn although that didn’t show up in the score. Alabama was not unexpected. We played Vandy even until the final quarter and had the fourth quarter meltdown. So in the middle of the season we played decent ball considering all of the elements.

The last two games left a bad taste and has a lot of fans thinking we are in a deep hole. I think those two games will not be indicative of how we will play in 2019. Six wins is the bottom and if the recruiting class can make some significant improvement I think 7 or 8 wins are possible.

orvillesghost

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 09:42:33 pm »

four wins, perhaps five

Another recruiting class like this last one and we might reach six to seven wins in 2020 but that may be a stretch.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 10:46:46 pm »

If we get a grad transfer QB who comes in the Spring and grasps the offense and the WR play improves and the OL improves we will be 6-6 and go bowling and sign another Top 20 Recruiting Class.

If we don't sign a QB or the WR don't improve or the OL is again porus all bets are off and we will be lucky to sign a class above #30.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:06 pm »

Sorry. I thought Jefferson was going to be in Fayetteville for the spring. I still think he will see the field this fall, especially if there is no grad transfer.
Like I said in the beginning, I feel that the Hogs are DUE against Texas A&M. Aside from 2016, every game over the last five years has been a 7 point win for the Aggies, and Arkansas was competitive in 2016 until the fourth quarter. Arkansas will beat them one day...much sooner than they will beat Alabama, at least while Saban is there.

DEVIL DOG HOG

• Grandpa's hayride
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 10:07:25 am »

4 - 8.

The Hawgman

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 10:52:59 am »

I think #2 is wrong.  A grad-transfer will come in and be the primary starter next year.  No qualifier needed.  I think that will happen and Storey won't see the field unless the grad-transfer is injured or during mop up duty.

Assuming I'm right about #2, 6 wins.  If I'm wrong and there isn't a grad-transfer, 4-5 wins.
Totally agree.
If we ran the wishbone and Ryan mallet was QB it would not bring optimism
Storey great Razorback but can’t throw the deep ball
Will not bring this offense to point that we win more than 5 but probably 4
IMO

Hogmatic

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 07:37:40 am »

Agim coming back is big for the defense along with Harris and Pulley.   I feel better about 2019 now. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2019, 08:39:55 am »

Prediction #1. Arkansas will complete their 2019 recruiting class on signing day, Feb 6, and finish with a consensus Top 20 class (top 15 on rivals).
Prediction #2. Depending on which transfer QB Arkansas gets, IF they get one at all, Ty Storey will emerge from spring practice as the starting QB. Jefferson will make some great plays, and many fans will be clamoring for the freshman to be the starter, but Storey will take the first snap versus Portland St.
Prediction #4. McTelvin Agim, DeJon Harris, and Ryan Pulley will finish 2019 on the 1st Team All-SEC defense.
Prediction #5. DeJon Harris will lead the team in tackles, and Dorian Gerald will lead the team in sacks. 
Prediction #6. Treylon Burks, Trey Knox, Silas Robinson, Billy Ferrell, and Mataio Soli will all be on the SEC All-Freshman Team.
Prediction #7. Arkansas' 2020 recruiting class will not be ranked as high as 2019 (mostly due to lower in-state numbers), but it will still be in the top 30 and will be a solid class.
Prediction #9. Cheyenne O'Grady, Myron Cunningham, and Rakeem Boyd will finish 2019 on the 1st Team All-SEC offense.
Prediction #10. The 2019 Arkansas Razorbacks will finish the regular season 7-5, 3-5 in SEC. The Hogs will have victories over all four non-conference opponents, as well as SEC wins over Ole Miss, Miss St, and will break the seven game losing streak to Texas A&M (the Hogs are DUE). I also predict the Hogs will play in either the Liberty Bowl or the Music City Bowl.

I'm not sure how anyone can accurately predict what the Hogs will achieve in 2019 with so many questions that remain to be answered.

It is probably safe to say that any rational fan would agree that the Hogs should have been a better team than the 2-10 that they produced in 2018. An argument could be made that they could have won anywhere from 2 to 5 more than they did and that was in a transitional year where productive offensive and defensive consistency was rarely achieved and for reasons that had less to do with insufficient talent in most positions, than it had to do with an inconsistency in a confident, aggressive attitude among the team.

IMO, it is the improvement in attitudes, dedication and absolute buy-in that is most important to the improvement in play for 2019.

The initial positive outlook is the recruiting class that at least on paper, appears to be one of the best that we have landed in some time.

It is my belief that if we hope to build on that recruiting class and have a chance to put another together of similar or better value, we will need to bait the hook for recruits with actual improvement on the field in terms of more wins. It seems that Morris and Staff have been very effective at selling the vision that they have for the progress of the program to recruits, but nothing will confirm the confidence of recruits like actual wins on the field.

At this point I am not going to lodge a prediction for next year but I will say that I believe that if Morris hopes to continue recruiting at a higher level and selling his vision to recruits (and the existing team for that matter) and gaining their buy-in, he needs to win 6 in the regular season in 2019 as a minimum. That would be something that they can hang their hats on for another recruiting season. 4 wins won't get it done and I'm not sure that 5 would either. But get to 6 and a minor bowl that you win and the growth can continue.

Superhog1959

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:54 am »

I predict Arkansas will upset Auburn on national TV. Gus Malazan will be fired the next day.

swineology

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 09:32:21 am »

4 wins is possible, maybe beat Ole Sis to get to 5.

Sorry, just don't see a bunch of freshman coming in here to make a huge impact in year one. This is the SEC west and we just came off the worst season on record.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2019, 09:52:43 am »

4 wins is possible, maybe beat Ole Sis to get to 5.

Sorry, just don't see a bunch of freshman coming in here to make a huge impact in year one. This is the SEC west and we just came off the worst season on record.

I think that there is enough returning talent on this team that coupled with some of the incoming freshmen and obvious improvement in play at most positions, that it is possible that we could achieve at least what we should have last season. That "should" have been 5 to 7 wins in the regular season. Now should we find a QB Transfer or someone already on or joining the team that can run this RPO style of offense, make good decisions and be able to deliver the ball to receivers in stride, this team could do better than expected. Right now, I'm in a wait and see mode like most folks.

lasthog

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 10:43:36 am »

I dreamed I was there in hillbilly heaven.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 10:44:03 am »

If we get a grad transfer QB who comes in the Spring and grasps the offense and the WR play improves and the OL improves we will be 6-6 and go bowling and sign another Top 20 Recruiting Class.

If we don't sign a QB or the WR don't improve or the OL is again porus all bets are off and we will be lucky to sign a class above #30.

I bet if we make more points than the other team we win that game. That is a safe bet. Isn't it.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2019, 03:45:32 pm »

Couple things we don't yet know about the QB situation.... How much improvement will Connor Noland make in the off season, to put him in possible contention to be the starter? How good is KJ Jefferson? Does he have the skills necessary to come in and immediately compete for the starting job? Until we have some kind of idea how to answer those questions, it's gonna be pretty tough to know how good we will be at QB. A lot of our problems on offense the last couple of years has been because of the oline. We signed some jucos on OL, plus have some good commits coming in that should somewhat shore up depth, combined with getting the injured from last year back healthy.

We should be in much better shape on OL. Experience may be an issue early on. Coaches will have to get them ready very early to give this team a good shot.

dsf

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2019, 05:28:21 pm »

Maybe six wins...probably not.

sickboy

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2019, 05:40:39 pm »

The one thing I will predict is the recruiting. I think we'll end up with a top 25 class for 2020 at worst.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:07 pm »

I guess I don’t recall seeing any meaningful improvement with this team throughout the 2018 season.  Yeah, yeah, I know, supposedly a poisoned locker room.  As it stands right now, we have Storey as the QB, which isn’t good, of course.  Maaaaybe we’ll get a transfer that will earn the starting job day one?  Can the OL improve in a meaningful way?  Pinning our hopes on a bunch of true freshman?

Who knows what will happen, but I’m going out on a very sturdy limb by saying the 2019 season will be another forgettable one.

Might look competitive in 2020, though, if recruiting keeps trending up.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2019, 06:29:51 pm »

I bet if we make more points than the other team we win that game. That is a safe bet. Isn't it.

What game? Did I mention a specific game? Did I miss something?

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 02:42:46 pm »

I dreamed I was there in hillbilly heaven.
Well zippadeedodah!

mizzouman

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2019, 03:48:47 pm »

#4 ain't happenin'

IAMHogholio

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2019, 04:03:36 pm »

1. No reason to watch aside from undying loyalty.
2. Minimal improvement on the field as the newcomers need a year to get into the program.
3. Über frustrating special teams
4. A bunch of angry Hogville members

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 01:34:45 am »

Didn't say that, I just don't see it for atleast the next few. Aggies will be a monster in the west.

Same scared bullcrap, still wrong...

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 01:43:30 am »

1. No reason to watch aside from undying loyalty.
2. Minimal improvement on the field as the newcomers need a year to get into the program.
3. Über frustrating special teams
4. A bunch of angry Hogville members

Sadly... this.  All the BS about putting 6+ on All-SEC teams is just that.  Happy with the recruiting class, but expecting most of them to shine out of the gate is ridiculous.  Not saying they won't get solid playing time, many will... but that's just a sign of how deep the hole we are digging out of next year.  Throwing true freshman (unless you're Bama and they are all 5*) into the SEC is like the school of hard knocks. Hopefully it makes them better and we don't just break our new toys. 

I predict 3-4 wins... max and 2 years of Shad going 0-8 in SEC.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 02:14:24 am »

I will go with 4-8 next season maybe 1 SEC victory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas