• 10,165,702 Posts
• 405,366 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Class of 2020- reversing the new decade bad class trend  (Read 3660 times)

JackJohnson

Class of 2020- reversing the new decade bad class trend
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:03:58 pm »

The class of 2000 was Nutts 3rd class at Arkansas, following his transition class of 1998 and what was arguably his best class in 1999.  The class was an utter disaster and was easily his worst at Arkansas.  There only ended up being 4 multiple year contributors in Lawrence Richardson, Jason Peters, Bo Mosley and Steven Harris. 

The 2010 class was Petrinos 3rd class following his transition class of 2008 and his first full class of 2009.  Both classes were the sole reason for his success in his 3rd and 4th seasons.  Like Nutts 3rd class, this was by far his worst and also a disaster.  The only multiple year contributors were Bryan Jones, Chris Smith, Braylon Mitchell, Jay Herndon, Zach Hocker and Eric Bennett.  Jarrett Lake, Alan Turner and Julian Horton has some moments but for the most part were just fillers.

Fast forward another turn of the decade and we are also entering Morris’ 3rd recruiting class following his transition class of 2018, and what appears on paper to be one of the better classes in school history in his first full year in 2019.

We really need to reverse this trend and follow up the first full class with an equal or better one.  I’m afraid that in the current state of the program we can’t afford for history to repeat itself and have another depth killing 3rd class if Morris is going to get this program heading in the right direction

The Hawgman

Re: Class of 2020- reversing the new decade bad class trend
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:31:15 pm »

The class of 2000 was Nutts 3rd class at Arkansas, following his transition class of 1998 and what was arguably his best class in 1999.  The class was an utter disaster and was easily his worst at Arkansas.  There only ended up being 4 multiple year contributors in Lawrence Richardson, Jason Peters, Bo Mosley and Steven Harris. 

The 2010 class was Petrinos 3rd class following his transition class of 2008 and his first full class of 2009.  Both classes were the sole reason for his success in his 3rd and 4th seasons.  Like Nutts 3rd class, this was by far his worst and also a disaster.  The only multiple year contributors were Bryan Jones, Chris Smith, Braylon Mitchell, Jay Herndon, Zach Hocker and Eric Bennett.  Jarrett Lake, Alan Turner and Julian Horton has some moments but for the most part were just fillers.

Fast forward another turn of the decade and we are also entering Morris’ 3rd recruiting class following his transition class of 2018, and what appears on paper to be one of the better classes in school history in his first full year in 2019.

We really need to reverse this trend and follow up the first full class with an equal or better one.  I’m afraid that in the current state of the program we can’t afford for history to repeat itself and have another depth killing 3rd class if Morris is going to get this program heading in the right direction
VERY MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
SORRY

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Tankster

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:53:57 pm »

Morris is a different animal than what anything that Arkansas has had in recruiting since Broyles. The emphasis that he places on it, the strategy and the connections are all superior.

1) He's personable, honest and real.
2) Has connections in Texas AND Oklahoma
3) Hired Chavis and Caldwell who can get in virtually any school in the south and have a chance
4) Clemson figured out how to connect and resonate with today's recruits. Morris can and will replicate it
5) Great mix of veterans and youth on the staff (including off field staff)
6) In close relation to #4, recruiting takes priority over certain things that some old school coaches/players/fans may not like
7) Truly understands how important social media is, but more than just understanding the importance his staff knows how to utilize it to an advantage
8) Not only does Morris have connections in the right places, he's willing to focus in the places the majority of Arkansas' recruits need to come from (GA, TN, AL, MS, LA, TX, OK, MO, KS, and AR)

Morris' biggest problem is something he can't control. No matter how good he recruits, the schools in his conference and in his division already have been getting great recruits and will continue too. Morris needs to figure out how to win enough games to keep his job until he can get 3 full classes in (I don't count the first one - especially with the early signing period)

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:07:37 pm »

Petrino signed good recruits in spite of himself. These coaches are great recruiters. Big difference.

PorkBilly

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »

Petrino signed good recruits in spite of himself. These coaches are great recruiters. Big difference.

We have not seen recruiters like this in most of our lives....unless it was at a competitive school. I don’t think we really have an appreciation for their organizational skills and support group, ie social media, target markets, relationships, etc.

redeye

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 10:06:49 pm »

Recruiting is the main reason I'm excited about Morris and that's a first for me with an Arkansas head coach.  Morris seems capable of bringing in elite talent from outside of Arkansas, which is more important than bringing in elite talent from inside Arkansas, if you want to compete for championships.

To me, the big question isn't if he can do it again, but if he can make use of it.

Hogmatic

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:23:55 am »

Morris is a different animal than what anything that Arkansas has had in recruiting since Broyles. The emphasis that he places on it, the strategy and the connections are all superior.

3) Hired Chavis and Caldwell who can get in virtually any school in the south and have a chance
4) Clemson figured out how to connect and resonate with today's recruits. Morris can and will replicate it
6) In close relation to #4, recruiting takes priority over certain things that some old school coaches/players/fans may not like
7) Truly understands how important social media is, but more than just understanding the importance his staff knows how to utilize it to an advantage
8) Not only does Morris have connections in the right places, he's willing to focus in the places the majority of Arkansas' recruits need to come from (GA, TN, AL, MS, LA, TX, OK, MO, KS, and AR)

Morris' biggest problem is something he can't control. No matter how good he recruits, the schools in his conference and in his division already have been getting great recruits and will continue too. Morris needs to figure out how to win enough games to keep his job until he can get 3 full classes in (I don't count the first one - especially with the early signing period)

You did a great job and I will add that the staff's connections in Texas are superior to anything we have had in our past.  Morris along with Traylor are BOTH legends in Texas HS Football thus they can get any HS FB coach in Texas to take their call.

a0ashle

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:28:32 am »

You did a great job and I will add that the staff's connections in Texas are superior to anything we have had in our past.  Morris along with Traylor are BOTH legends in Texas HS Football thus they can get any HS FB coach in Texas to take their call.

This and his approachability and giving back to high school coaches are understated aspects of his recruiting ability.

Hogmatic

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:38:35 am »

The in-state crop in Arkansas is not good enough to lift the class of 2020 from what I see.  2021 appears to be better in state.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 08:57:52 am »

Correct. The 2020 in-state class is a valley coming after a hill in 2019, leading to another hill in 2021. Sorry for the elementary imaging.
Morris & Co will need to fill spots normally filled by Arkansas players with recruits from Texas, and maybe Louisiana and/or Oklahoma. If he can do that, the 2020 class might be able to stay in the Top 30, if not the Top 25.
The 2021 class looks like it might be akin to 2019!

Hogmatic

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 10:22:04 am »

Correct. The 2020 in-state class is a valley coming after a hill in 2019, leading to another hill in 2021. Sorry for the elementary imaging.
Morris & Co will need to fill spots normally filled by Arkansas players with recruits from Texas, and maybe Louisiana and/or Oklahoma. If he can do that, the 2020 class might be able to stay in the Top 30, if not the Top 25.
The 2021 class looks like it might be akin to 2019!

I agree but also add that most of the rankings are based on total points and NOT on average player rating.  We probably won't sign 29 in 2020 so that means less players and less total points.  I am more concerned that we have about the same player average rating as this year.

Al Boarland

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 11:05:19 am »

2020 cycle will be a major indicator of CM's ceiling at the UofA.  If the class falls back to the bottom third of the conference then success will be difficult.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 11:31:43 am »

He doesn't have to repeat this good of a class every year(although it is possible). Looks like we're going to end up with 14-15 4 star recruits. If he will just get 8-10 each year we will be just fine. Like him or not he has impeccable connections in Tejas and seems to do well in other adjoining states,Tenn., OK.

I  like what he's done so far in recruiting and with the Chaos know as Arkansas football this last year. Firing HC,AD and the hangover from the last set of expectations to current ones coupled with resistance within the team,team deficiencies, and total system change.He gets a pass on this past season. I (like everyone else)will have to wait to see the effects of this new recruiting prowess. I am very optimistic.

Back to the "don't have to repeat this every year in recruiting" comment. You cannot play but 11 at a time. 2+ deep at each position is good enough.That depth must be quality. IMO Its stupidity on the recruits part to go to a school such as Bama(unless your a 5 star who'll play immediately, as in Tua). Wait 2-3 years to maybe get on the field? They have maybe 1-2 national championship teams sittin over there on the bench(in theory). Many will never get on the field(see also 11 at a time theory), but are efficiently kept from teams who would compete against Bama. But yes they do get some rings.

Piggyback78

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 12:36:24 pm »

Good read.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 12:50:44 pm »

So a couple of prior coaches had bad recruiting classes their third year and suddenly it is defined as a trend..........good grief.

presidenthog

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:39:15 pm »

I agree but also add that most of the rankings are based on total points and NOT on average player rating.  We probably won't sign 29 in 2020 so that means less players and less total points.  I am more concerned that we have about the same player average rating as this year.

We are signing 25 in 2020

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 02:47:47 pm »

I’m glad Morris is personable, honest and real.

Now gimme more than 2-10.

Caint take much more of that.

31to6

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 03:43:33 pm »

I think the challenge is keeping the quality up when early playing time is not the top selling point which will happen sooner or later unless attrition is very high. Ideally we want to be in a position where even when a class has to be small because the roster is solid, we still are averaging 88.5 or higher.

A class with 7 4*s and 9 3*s is a great class for us even though it will not break into the top-15 in overall ranking if we only have 16 spots available.

We can't be signing warm bodies just to fill roster spots.

The classes that have been disastrous and left us with gaping holes in the roster are the ones with too many misses and too few quality recruits top-to-bottom because the staff ran out of steam for whatever reason (Petrino was an a-hole. CBB could not retain his best recruiters. Nutt was under the "NCAA cloud". Etc.).

Piggyback78

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 03:45:12 pm »

Look its chex

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 04:38:20 pm »

im glad to see the staff hitting the tulsa area.. some great high school football and only about 100 miles from fayetteville....

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 05:30:33 pm »

Petrino had the “ I’m a NFL coach” behind his name. More importantly he had Tim Horton who I think Morris should hire as associate coach and special teams coach.
Horton is an excellent recruiter and was fired by Long to rid the organization of Broyles appointees.

ricepig

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 05:33:58 pm »

Petrino had the “ I’m a NFL coach” behind his name. More importantly he had Tim Horton who I think Morris should hire as associate coach and special teams coach.

Uh, no.

moto625

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 06:44:29 pm »

Morris get an A- for this years class WPS looking forward to the OL in 2020! Great to see Memphis and Tulsa Hogs!

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 11:35:22 pm »

I think the challenge is keeping the quality up when early playing time is not the top selling point which will happen sooner or later unless attrition is very high. Ideally we want to be in a position where even when a class has to be small because the roster is solid, we still are averaging 88.5 or higher.

A class with 7 4*s and 9 3*s is a great class for us even though it will not break into the top-15 in overall ranking if we only have 16 spots available.

We can't be signing warm bodies just to fill roster spots.

The classes that have been disastrous and left us with gaping holes in the roster are the ones with too many misses and too few quality recruits top-to-bottom because the staff ran out of steam for whatever reason (Petrino was an a-hole. CBB could not retain his best recruiters. Nutt was under the "NCAA cloud". Etc.).
13 4*s

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 01:29:10 am »

Fact: if Morris can’t get another top 15-20 class in 2020 he’ll get canned before 2022.

31to6

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 01:39:04 am »

13 4*s
I was providing an exampe of a hypothetical future good class in a condition where we can sign fewer than 25.

Keep up :)

carolinahogger

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 07:06:43 am »

Correlation does not imply causation, OP.

Pigs in Zen

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 07:47:42 am »

Look its chex

GTFO here with that “chex” garbage.

You should really take this stupidity back to the “Politics” forum.

presidenthog

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 09:42:25 am »

Fact: if Morris can’t get another top 15-20 class in 2020 he’ll get canned before 2022.

Considering that i believe if he lands catalon, and lakia henry. I expect tom lemming will have this as a top 10 class. I doubt that. Also if you want to go look at who we are in on in 2020 it will be another amazing class.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:18 am »

Per 247, Hog recruiting rankings by year

2013 - 23rd
2014 - 29th
2015 - 22nd
2016 - 23rd
2017 - 27th
2018 - 48th (Morris in a no-win situation)
2019 - 20th

I would call the class we have this year an improvement, but lets be honest, it's not "major".  If we can get up around 10th for 2020, now we are talking.

Hogmatic

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 09:55:06 am »

That is BS for a couple of reasons
- We will sign 29 this year which is the max and then some.
-We can't sign as many players next year so that will automatically lower our ranking.  Rankings are based on total points of the class.
- What will matter is the average player rating of the class for next year since the numbers of spots are lower.
-We are already listed on the lists of many top players for 2020.

Morris, Chavis, Caldwell, Traylor are all major door openers that I don't remember having in these numbers since the Holtz days.  Even then Holtz didn't have anyone of Morris or Traylor's prestige in Texas HS.    Morris, Chavis, Caldwell, and Traylor can open more than the doors in TX HS's- they can open doors in the Southeast as well.  During his time at Clemson, Morris created great connections in the SE US as does Chavis and Caldwell.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 01:12:43 pm »

That is BS for a couple of reasons
- We will sign 29 this year which is the max and then some.
-We can't sign as many players next year so that will automatically lower our ranking.  Rankings are based on total points of the class.
- What will matter is the average player rating of the class for next year since the numbers of spots are lower.
-We are already listed on the lists of many top players for 2020.

Morris, Chavis, Caldwell, Traylor are all major door openers that I don't remember having in these numbers since the Holtz days.  Even then Holtz didn't have anyone of Morris or Traylor's prestige in Texas HS.    Morris, Chavis, Caldwell, and Traylor can open more than the doors in TX HS's- they can open doors in the Southeast as well.  During his time at Clemson, Morris created great connections in the SE US as does Chavis and Caldwell.

False. It only counts your top 20 recruits.

Hogmatic

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 01:42:06 pm »

False. It only counts your top 20 recruits.

Which service are you talking about?  I think Rivals is the only one that does it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:33:00 pm by Hogmatic »

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 04:26:44 pm »

Which service are you talking about?  I think Rivals is the only one that does it.

You're correct.  Only your top 20 recruits count toward the overall team points on Rivals.

Also, the people claiming that we're only rated where we are on 247 is because we have a large number of commits don't understand how 247's point system works.  Unlike Rivals, the amount of points a particular player adds to your overall team score is not a constant figure, but varies based on the number of commits in your class and the rating of those other commits.  So every time a team adds a new commit to their class, the amount of points added from each of the team's other lower-rated commits decreases.

For example, Collin Clay currently adds 16.71 points to our overall team score.  However, if you add a higher-rated prospect such as Jalen Catalon to our class, Clay's points decrease to 15.62 (and every other recruit rated below Catalon would lose points as well).  So although Catalon would personally contribute 20.31 points, our overall total would only increase 3.16 points (from 238.77 to 241.93). 

So while having a higher number of commits will help inflate your overall team score, the amount of points contributed by the lowest rated commits is very minimal.  For example, we have 238.77 points with our current 27 commits which ranks us 20th nationally.  But if you take out our 4 lowest rated commits to give us 23 in the class, we would only lose a total of 1.58 points which would give us a total team score of 237.19, which would still give us the #20 overall class.

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 04:30:42 pm »

Per 247, Hog recruiting rankings by year

2013 - 23rd
2014 - 29th
2015 - 22nd
2016 - 23rd
2017 - 27th
2018 - 48th (Morris in a no-win situation)
2019 - 20th

I would call the class we have this year an improvement, but lets be honest, it's not "major".  If we can get up around 10th for 2020, now we are talking.

While the overall national ranking doesn't look like that "major" of an improvement, the difference in average player rating is:

2013 - 0.8495
2014 - 0.8580
2015 - 0.8656
2016 - 0.8669
2017 - 0.8602
2018 - 0.8612
2019 - 0.8836

presidenthog

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 09:02:15 pm »

You're correct.  Only your top 20 recruits count toward the overall team points on Rivals.

Also, the people claiming that we're only rated where we are on 247 is because we have a large number of commits don't understand how 247's point system works.  Unlike Rivals, the amount of points a particular player adds to your overall team score is not a constant figure, but varies based on the number of commits in your class and the rating of those other commits.  So every time a team adds a new commit to their class, the amount of points added from each of the team's other lower-rated commits decreases.

For example, Collin Clay currently adds 16.71 points to our overall team score.  However, if you add a higher-rated prospect such as Jalen Catalon to our class, Clay's points decrease to 15.62 (and every other recruit rated below Catalon would lose points as well).  So although Catalon would personally contribute 20.31 points, our overall total would only increase 3.16 points (from 238.77 to 241.93). 

So while having a higher number of commits will help inflate your overall team score, the amount of points contributed by the lowest rated commits is very minimal.  For example, we have 238.77 points with our current 27 commits which ranks us 20th nationally.  But if you take out our 4 lowest rated commits to give us 23 in the class, we would only lose a total of 1.58 points which would give us a total team score of 237.19, which would still give us the #20 overall class.

Very good explination on 247. I still think we are a top 15 class nationally regardless of rankings

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:09 am »

While the overall national ranking doesn't look like that "major" of an improvement, the difference in average player rating is:

2013 - 0.8495
2014 - 0.8580
2015 - 0.8656
2016 - 0.8669
2017 - 0.8602
2018 - 0.8612
2019 - 0.8836

This is fair, but by this standard Bielema significantly boosted the level at which Arkansas recruited.

Hogmatic

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 08:38:05 am »

2013 - 0.8495
2014 - 0.8580
2015 - 0.8656
2016 - 0.8669
2017 - 0.8602
2018 - 0.8612
2019 - 0.8836

The average player rating is what I use for my own evaluation, so I really like to see the BB history and CCM's first 2 classes.  We will have to judge the 2020 class by average player rating to see how good our quality is against our history.

sickboy

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2019, 05:53:21 pm »

This is fair, but by this standard Bielema significantly boosted the level at which Arkansas recruited.

He did when you're talking about numbers. Pulling guys like Alex Collins and Denver Kirkland out of Miami Florida was a big deal. Problem is, those classes would have one or two really highly rated guys and then a bunch of developmental guys. The difference now is that Morris is getting loads of 4* talent so the classes are deeper than they've ever been at Arkansas.

On top of that, Bielema slowed recruiting nationally and kept it close to home as he got further along in his tenure. Morris is recruiting kids nationally. We used to not even offer the top 5* guys in a class unless we had connections to them. In 2020, we've offered five or six of the top 10 guys in the country.  And they're guys in California, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington, Minnesota... literally all over the country.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2019, 07:27:11 pm »

Morris pulls in a top 20 class, which BTW is only a little above average compared to previous classes, and that makes him an awesome recruiter? True he is recruiting much better then he did at SMU. My concern is why he couldn’t get Bryant to come here with his personal relationship with KB.
In other words let’s pump the brakes a little and wait and see if he can improve off this class and replicate it consistently. Also, he really, really needs to win games.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »

Morris pulls in a top 20 class, which BTW is only a little above average compared to previous classes, and that makes him an awesome recruiter? True he is recruiting much better then he did at SMU. My concern is why he couldn’t get Bryant to come here with his personal relationship with KB.
In other words let’s pump the brakes a little and wait and see if he can improve off this class and replicate it consistently. Also, he really, really needs to win games.
it’s probsbly the best class we’ve ever signed......... and we are coming off a 2 win season

WooPig90

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:48 am »

If i remember correctly, Dabo's first 2 classes were in the 20s and 30s...relax people

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 11:37:30 am »

Compared to our average class rank from 2008-2018, this class is roughly 8 spots higher according to 247 Composite, and 17 spots higher on Rivals.

247Composite
2008-2018 Avg = 27.8
2019 Class = 20

Rivals
2008-2018 Avg = 32.3
2019 Class = 15

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 01:23:39 pm »

Oh look everyone! One of 'The Downer's" found a nugget of negativity to be fearful of in 2020 and we haven't even finished inking the 2019 class.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas