Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: UCF  (Read 3147 times)

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
UCF
« on: January 01, 2019, 12:25:35 pm »

Reminds me of two things about our program:

1. UCF would have beat us by 50.  How did that happen?

2. The guy that built UCF looked very similar to Morris this year at Nebraska.

Only time will tell if Morris can turn it around but this year is not the measure of a man.

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: UCF
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 12:32:12 pm »

Only time will tell if Morris can turn it around but this year is not the measure of a man.

Hereís where itís about to get confirmed/ exposed; it will be a ďdrawĒ on the speed front between UCF and Loser State U. Should be pretty ďsobering ď for LA State fans over next few quarters.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

kaiserhog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Kaiser Willie I, A True Hog Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 12:34:55 pm »

UCF is a better team than Notre Dame.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:35:21 pm »

SPEED, SPEED, SPEED.

They are fast and aggressive

lrar4hogs

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 12:38:34 pm »

UCF is a better team than Notre Dame.

This.  UCF has SEC speed and athletes.  This makes now two teams that should have been in the playoff over Notre Dame.   Itís why we need 8 teams.   The best teams, not did you go undefeated, did you win your conference, or you already had your chance.  The best teams.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 12:39:55 pm »

This is why coaches have gone to Florida for speed for 40 years.  UCF will take the behavior risks which come with recruiting Florida. Plenty of athletes. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 12:40:51 pm »

This.  UCF has SEC speed and athletes.  This makes now two teams that should have been in the playoff over Notre Dame.   Itís why we need 8 teams.   The best teams, not did you go undefeated, did you win your conference, or you already had your chance.  The best teams.

Screw that.  Conferences arenít equal. 

Andrew Hogfan

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 12:42:18 pm »

This is why coaches have gone to Florida for speed for 40 years.  UCF will take the behavior risks which come with recruiting Florida. Plenty of athletes. 
They also have a starter from New Orleans...  Why isn't he on our roster

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 12:47:41 pm »

There are close to 20mm people living in the state of Florida these days; based on shear scale, thereís no way, statistically, that UCF as a massive public University wouldnít be able to attract, recruit and develop comparable talent to SEC schools. Hereís why, schlorship limits?! Everyone can offer/ fill only soo many slots. Florida has an ď embarrassment of riches ď in state. Itís population is over 4 times the size of Louisiana; let that sink in for a minute...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 12:49:12 pm »

There are close to 20mm people living in the state of Florida these days; based on shear scale, thereís no way, statistically, that UCF as a massive public University wouldnít be able to attract, recruit and develop comparable talent to SEC schools. Hereís why, schlorship limits?! Everyone can offer/ fill only soo many slots. Florida has an ď embarrassment of riches ď in state. Itís population is over 4 times the size of Louisiana; let that sink in for a minute...

Sure. It is why UCF is good.  What does that have to do with SMU Memphis ECU UConn or the rest of the conference?

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 12:50:35 pm »

Huh?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 12:53:43 pm »

Huh?

Huh what?  The poster said conf champs should get into an 8 team playoff.  I disagree.  Then you jump in about UCF. 

lrar4hogs

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 12:55:05 pm »

Some how that might have been misinterpreted but I want the 8 best teams.  I donít care if four or five teams all come from the same conference or not.   I just know Notre Dame should not have gotten in the playoff for four teams, maybe an 8 team playoff though.  My original post got messed up and I was listing excuses that the committee came up with on a year to year basis.  It is suppose to be the four best teams and they found a way to mess that system up.  Itís football, itís not complicated. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 12:56:26 pm »

Some how that might have been misinterpreted but I want the 8 best teams.  I donít care if four or five teams all come from the same conference or not.   I just know Notre Dame should not have gotten in the playoff for four teams, maybe an 8 team playoff though.

I agree with you.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 01:00:31 pm »

Florida- 20.98 million (2017)
Texas - 28.3 million (2017)
Arkansas- 3.004 million (2017)
Oklahoma - 3.931 million (2017)
Missouri - 6.114 million (2017)
Alabama - 4.875 million (2017)
Mississippi - 2.984 million (2017)
Louisana - 4.684 million (2017)

What exactly is your point?   Weíre much closer to Texas BTW.....

Whatís your point?

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 01:15:07 pm »

Huh what?  The poster said conf champs should get into an 8 team playoff.  I disagree.  Then you jump in about UCF.

The OP was about UCF ďbeating us ď by 50 , so no, I wasnít ď jumping in about UCF...Ē

Pig Worshipper

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 01:29:32 pm »

Your #2 statement is patently false.

Frost was much more decisive in taking control of his team, cleaned house early, took his lumps and had his team playing their best football at the end of the season with narrow losses against good teams.

Morris was very indecisive, did not lay down the law, brought in an awful staff and had a team that played historically bad throughout the year and ended the year getting crushed without even the hint of fire or pride.

Don't compare Morris to Frost. Frost is an excellent young coach. Morris is neither.

lakecityhog

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 01:32:30 pm »

RITALIN!!!!!
Lanny should issue that stuff by the quart jar to new members.

The ejection of the LSU player at the end of the half is just one more example of how officials control the outcome of games by the calls they choose to make and the calls they choose to ignore.
The LSU player definitely threw a punch and for that reason got what he deserved, BUT the UCF player was clearly just as much in the wrong. AND the way he was taunting the LSU player after the ejection should have at the very least drawn a taunting penalty.

hawg IQ

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 01:37:30 pm »

Your #2 statement is patently false.

Frost was much more decisive in taking control of his team, cleaned house early, took his lumps and had his team playing their best football at the end of the season with narrow losses against good teams.

Morris was very indecisive, did not lay down the law, brought in an awful staff and had a team that played historically bad throughout the year and ended the year getting crushed without even the hint of fire or pride.

Don't compare Morris to Frost. Frost is an excellent young coach. Morris is neither.
I agrees, remember the week after I think NTS, he said our play was unacceptable and went straight out and did nothing. Your action has to support your words. He has to do better in this area.

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 01:44:52 pm »

How much holding can one team get away with?  UCF is holding everywhere, offense and defense, on every play.  Refs only throwing the holding penalty on LSU.

Swinelake

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 01:51:38 pm »

I absolutely hate the playoffs and want to go back to the BCS. It may have gotten it wrong occasionally, but frankly I don't care who the best team is. I want meaningful games, and the CFP robs the regular season with their "eye test" bs and invalidates the other bowls.

That said, if you want to do a playoff - 8 teams is best. All five P5 conference winners + 3 at large teams. If a G5 team is undefeated, they are automatically inserted as an at large.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 02:14:01 pm »

Florida- 20.98 million (2017)
Texas - 28.3 million (2017)
Arkansas- 3.004 million (2017)
Oklahoma - 3.931 million (2017)
Missouri - 6.114 million (2017)
Alabama - 4.875 million (2017)
Mississippi - 2.984 million (2017)
Louisana - 4.684 million (2017)

What exactly is your point?   Weíre much closer to Texas BTW.....

Whatís your point?

If you went purely on population size, Arkansas should have better numbers of power 5 athletes than Mississippi, but that's not the case.  It's the racial makeup of the State that hurts Arkansas.   Mississippi had at the 2010 census a 59% White to 37% Black population.  Arkansas had at the 2010 census a 77% White to 15% Black population.   Louisiana had at the 2010 census a 62% White to 32% Black population.  So even though Mississippi has a lower population than we do they have a far larger population of blacks that typically your athletes come from. 

Please do not try and make my post sound racist, because I'm definitely not.  This is just the facts of the matter. LSU can stay just in their own state and never recruit anywhere else and do just fine, they have a plethora of great athletes at home.  Arkansas has a small population to draw from, and when our two largest areas, Little Rock and Pine Bluff are not producing what they should be, then we're going to struggle as far as getting in state athletes.

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 02:17:02 pm »

I absolutely hate the playoffs and want to go back to the BCS. It may have gotten it wrong occasionally, but frankly I don't care who the best team is. I want meaningful games, and the CFP robs the regular season with their "eye test" bs and invalidates the other bowls.

That said, if you want to do a playoff - 8 teams is best. All five P5 conference winners + 3 at large teams. If a G5 team is undefeated, they are automatically inserted as an at large.

Game. Set. Match. You just nailed it. A four team playoff is still too exclusive. An eight team playoff allows for all five power conferences to have their champion in, plus three at large. Which, could include any independent ( Notre Dame, BYU, etc.) and a group of five ( UCF) and possibly a worthy power five runner up, i.e. UGA.
Also, it just fits. Those eight teams would be able to meet in the Cotton, Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls, with each winner advancing to the semifinals and finals. Just makes too much sense.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 02:46:40 pm »

Doesn't matter. If they were in the SEC they would have been 3-5 in conference and 7-5 overall.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 02:51:35 pm »

Doesn't matter. If they were in the SEC they would have been 3-5 in conference and 7-5 overall.

They'd probably be better than 7-5, but they sure wouldn't be in the playoff talk, which has been my point.  UCF hasn't had to play the weekly schedule that P5 teams have to play. 

Swinelake

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 03:00:59 pm »

Game. Set. Match. You just nailed it. A four team playoff is still too exclusive. An eight team playoff allows for all five power conferences to have their champion in, plus three at large. Which, could include any independent ( Notre Dame, BYU, etc.) and a group of five ( UCF) and possibly a worthy power five runner up, i.e. UGA.
Also, it just fits. Those eight teams would be able to meet in the Cotton, Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls, with each winner advancing to the semifinals and finals. Just makes too much sense.

As I see it:
1 Alabama vs 8 Washington
2 Clemson vs 7 UCF
3 Notre Dame vs 6 Georgia
4 Oklahoma vs 5 Ohio State

Though in fairness, I say UGA > OSU > Oklahoma > ND by eye test. But you have to consider the season and conference championships.

hogfan1981

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 03:01:43 pm »

Iíve been a proponent of UCF being in the playoff, but their offense looks horrible. Canít even catch wide open passes.

Swinelake

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 03:02:41 pm »

Iíve been a proponent of UCF being in the playoff, but their offense looks horrible. Canít even catch wide open passes.

They're missing their star QB. Imagine Oklahoma w/o Murray.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 03:02:57 pm »

...while playing against a totally depleted LSU defense that is having to play a WR in the secondary.

hogfan1981

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 03:04:29 pm »

They're missing their star QB. Imagine Oklahoma w/o Murray.

I get that, but dropping wide open passes that hit your hands isnít a QB issue

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2019, 03:05:12 pm »

and this has been my point about schedule.  Had they played a big boy schedule this year, they're not even getting mentioned for a playoff spot.  They would have won 8 or 9 games.

But I will concede that they're playing a backup QB.

hogfan1981

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2019, 03:07:26 pm »

...while playing against a totally depleted LSU defense that is having to play a WR in the secondary.

This is the 3rd time Iíve watched them this year. They look completely inept compared to what I seen before. Dropping passes that hit your hands isnít anything caused by LSUís defense

Swinelake

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2019, 03:09:29 pm »

I get that, but dropping wide open passes that hit your hands isnít a QB issue

Fair. But QB/WR synergy is incredibly important.

Even setting that aside, one position group having a bad day doesn't invalidate the entire team. These are humans and not machines, after all.

hogfan1981

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2019, 03:10:29 pm »

and this has been my point about schedule.  Had they played a big boy schedule this year, they're not even getting mentioned for a playoff spot.  They would have won 8 or 9 games.

But I will concede that they're playing a backup QB.

Dropping wide open passes that hit their hands has nothing to do with their schedule. That has nothing to do with who they are playing

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2019, 03:11:24 pm »

This is the 3rd time Iíve watched them this year. They look completely inept compared to what I seen before. Dropping passes that hit your hands isnít anything caused by LSUís defense

I know it doesnít impact dropping passes. But it certainly has impacted  the game.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »

Both teams are playing subpar.  What happens in some bowls. 

hogfan1981

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2019, 03:12:42 pm »

Fair. But QB/WR synergy is incredibly important.

Even setting that aside, one position group having a bad day doesn't invalidate the entire team. These are humans and not machines, after all.

Agree, but if they arenít making those easy plays, itís tough to win

hogfan1981

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2019, 03:14:23 pm »

I know it doesnít impact dropping passes. But it certainly has impacted  the game.

Agreed. Time of possession shows that. UCF canít put anything together offensively

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2019, 03:14:42 pm »

Both teams are playing subpar.  What happens in some bowls. 

Yep. A month break, a week longer for LSU, can cause that.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2019, 03:15:56 pm »

Agreed. Time of possession shows that. UCF canít put anything together offensively

Still a lot of time left and LSU is quite capable of giving it away. (See last punt return.)

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2019, 03:22:05 pm »

Nothing in this game suggests UCF could have played with Bama Clemson or UGa. I doubt Oh St if Meyer were focused like he was for Michigan.  This is a physical mismatch vs LSU. 

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2019, 03:22:08 pm »

FSU, Miami & Florida can only sign a combined 75 recruits each year.   UCF (66, 000 students) has twice the size (population) of the University of Arkansas in a metro area (Orlando) of 2.5 Million.

Honestly a good recruiter can utilize a rental car and sign and reload the speed & talent.

Swinelake

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2019, 03:28:09 pm »

Agree, but if they arenít making those easy plays, itís tough to win

Sure. But the question being discussed is whether this game exposes UCF or not. I say that one group having an off day which is rather unrelated to their opponent but is related to the key injury doesn't mean they're exposed.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2019, 03:29:16 pm »

The lines exposed UCF. Skill and speed UCF has it. 

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2019, 03:54:09 pm »

UCF recruiting over the past 5 years

Jimbob111

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2019, 03:59:54 pm »

RITALIN!!!!!
Lanny should issue that stuff by the quart jar to new members.

The ejection of the LSU player at the end of the half is just one more example of how officials control the outcome of games by the calls they choose to make and the calls they choose to ignore.
The LSU player definitely threw a punch and for that reason got what he deserved, BUT the UCF player was clearly just as much in the wrong. AND the way he was taunting the LSU player after the ejection should have at the very least drawn a taunting penalty.

Not to hijack the thread however there was such blatant anti-SEC bias from the refs in this game, throwing flags against LSU while picking them up against UCF. At the very least UCF committed a taunting 15-yard penalty after the hit on Burrow (Burrough?) I think it should have been helmet to helmet but even if it wasn't, there was definitely taunting.  I've seen a lot of anti-SEC flag throwing out of the 15 or 16 bowls I've watched this season. I know it's easy to blame the refs but being from the SEC means your team has to play cleaner when the refs are from other conferences.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2019, 04:02:45 pm »

You guys who think UCF would be ND or other upper echelon teams are full of it.  They are a good team and would be probably 9-3 or 8-4 in the SEC or big 10.  It's not just speed in football,  It's also controlling the LOS.  LSU dominated the LOS the entire game and the game was not as close as the final score.   That's the difference between the big boys and teams like UCF.  There are hundreds of fast players but not that many big, talented DL.  Those guys don't go to UCF.  They go to Power 5 schools.  Every once in a while there will be guys who develop into star DL from small schools but that is the exception.  Notre Dame has a very good defense and especially up front.  Same with Miss st, Iowa, and many other teams that would control the LOS against UCF.  If they want to compete with the big boys they need to take the attitude of playing anyone, anywhere like Fresno st did and even Boise did a little bit. 

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2019, 04:04:36 pm »

Dropping wide open passes that hit their hands has nothing to do with their schedule. That has nothing to do with who they are playing

Had they played a real schedule, they wouldnít have made it to the Fiesta bowl to drop all those passes. 

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2019, 04:06:35 pm »

Sure. But the question being discussed is whether this game exposes UCF or not. I say that one group having an off day which is rather unrelated to their opponent but is related to the key injury doesn't mean they're exposed.
To me it exposed them as a very good team who deserved to be in the bowl game as the best Group of Five team but nowhere close to a playoff caliber team.  I would put them around 15 in my final rankings a best.  They can't control the LOS against the upper echelon teams.  They want to play Pop Warner football which is get it to your fastest guys in space and hope they can win the one on one match-ups.  Defensively they are very average.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2019, 04:06:38 pm »

Nothing in this game suggests UCF could have played with Bama Clemson or UGa. I doubt Oh St if Meyer were focused like he was for Michigan.  This is a physical mismatch vs LSU. 

UCF is not CFP caliber, no doubt. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas