• 10,108,034 Posts
• 403,959 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ty Storey  (Read 15500 times)

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Ty Storey
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:32 am »

Throwing more TD's and fewer interceptions would help tremendously. Pretty telling that the staff has beat every bush and turned over every rock looking for a qb this offseason.
shouldíve done it last offseasin

CandleStick

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2019, 11:52:33 am »

That just seems like it would be a little awkward to enter the portal and have no takers.

For arguments sake how do you know heís gotten no attention? Maybe heís listening to several teams and has chosen not to put out any information.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

CandleStick

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2019, 11:55:14 am »

Throwing more TD's and fewer interceptions would help tremendously. Pretty telling that the staff has beat every bush and turned over every rock looking for a qb this offseason.

No doubt he probably could of played better but the kid put his body on the line for the hogs behind an awful offensive line and receivers who wonít be on the team next year. You sound a lot like starc on the mahomes thread blamingeverything on the QB. And thereís two sides to the coin, yes the coaches are beating the bushes for another QB and so far only come up with a very average QB from the AAC. Pretty telling towards our staff and program as well.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2019, 12:02:40 pm »

No doubt he probably could of played better but the kid put his body on the line for the hogs behind an awful offensive line and receivers who wonít be on the team next year. You sound a lot like starc on the mahomes thread blamingeverything on the QB. And thereís two sides to the coin, yes the coaches are beating the bushes for another QB and so far only come up with a very average QB from the AAC. Pretty telling towards TY as well.

Yea I'd say its the best we can do because of our lack of talent at all positions more then coaches everyone looks a lot better with talent.

Grizzlyfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2019, 01:51:51 pm »

That just seems like it would be a little awkward to enter the portal and have no takers.
We don't really know whether there were takers or not.  Maybe not what Storey was looking for.  Anyway, Ben Hicks is not the kind of player that will be "guaranteed" anything. He ain't Jalen Hurts.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2019, 02:29:20 pm »

We don't really know whether there were takers or not.  Maybe not what Storey was looking for.  Anyway, Ben Hicks is not the kind of player that will be "guaranteed" anything. He ain't Jalen Hurts.

Well I'm a little discouraged if Hicks doesn't come in and take the QB spot in the spring. If we are going into the fall in a two or three man race, it won't seem like an upgrade at all.

GoPigs69

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2019, 02:52:55 pm »

Is this English?

Donít look now, but all those once Razorbacks that are still in the transfer portal. Many if not all no longer have a scholarship, why they were used to sign 4 star difference makers and thanks to them we are now able to get our numbers down to 85. Several of those guys were no buy INS and chose to leave the team and did not believe in our coaching staff.  So good luck to those guys and their new team.

GO HOGS!

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2019, 03:51:59 pm »

Well I'm a little discouraged if Hicks doesn't come in and take the QB spot in the spring. If we are going into the fall in a two or three man race, it won't seem like an upgrade at all.
I hope he does to.  But he isn't that can't miss kind of transfer.

SquidBiily

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2019, 08:29:58 am »

Donít underestimate what Hicks will mean for the team.  Just allowing Morris to run his entire offense will be a benefit.  Heíll be the QB and will show oot if they get the OL fixed.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:59 am »

Is Ty enrolled this semester?  Does anybody know?

Beuller?

He could be enrolled, but he is definitely not working out with the football team.  Noland is in case anybody is wondering that.

Since Ty has graduated, I think he can wait until the summer to actually reach a decision on where to transfer to.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2019, 10:22:11 am »

He could be enrolled, but he is definitely not working out with the football team.  Noland is in case anybody is wondering that.

Since Ty has graduated, I think he can wait until the summer to actually reach a decision on where to transfer to.
Yeah, I had forgotten that he graduated.  Thanks.  Good guy, hope he finds a team.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2019, 12:35:47 pm »

If he ends up somewhere else you would think he would want to go through spring practice. 

psychhog

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2019, 07:49:26 pm »

And thereís two sides to the coin, yes the coaches are beating the bushes for another QB and so far only come up with a very average QB from the AAC. Pretty telling towards our staff and program as well.

A ďvery averageĒ QB who under this coaching regime was #18 in passing yards and #10 in TDs thrown in 2017 (yes with 2 NFL WR one of which was a 3* DB recruit and one a transfer I get it). I know thereís more to it than those 2 numbers but Iíd say with over 100 QBs starting in college football that heís at least above average.

I know Ben hicks isnít a world beater but the kid is definitely an upgrade from what we had on campus this past year. Nothing against TS because I love his toughness but I expect our offense to be better this year even if we have several freshmen with considerable playing time.

CandleStick

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2019, 08:43:27 pm »

A ďvery averageĒ QB who under this coaching regime was #18 in passing yards and #10 in TDs thrown in 2017 (yes with 2 NFL WR one of which was a 3* DB recruit and one a transfer I get it). I know thereís more to it than those 2 numbers but Iíd say with over 100 QBs starting in college football that heís at least above average.

I know Ben hicks isnít a world beater but the kid is definitely an upgrade from what we had on campus this past year. Nothing against TS because I love his toughness but I expect our offense to be better this year even if we have several freshmen with considerable playing time.

And remind me again who Ben hicks was playing against during his time under morris? Was it Bama, LSU, state, A&M, Georgia, ole miss? Shall I keep going down that line or are you picking up what Iím putting down.

Plenty of average QBís have put up great numbers against poor competition. Hicks had two pro receivers against sub par competition. Letís see how he does against the SEC

Mike Irwin

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2019, 09:06:00 pm »

And remind me again who Ben hicks was playing against during his time under morris? Was it Bama, LSU, state, A&M, Georgia, ole miss? Shall I keep going down that line or are you picking up what Iím putting down.

Plenty of average QBís have put up great numbers against poor competition. Hicks had two pro receivers against sub par competition. Letís see how he does against the SEC
I keep pointing this out. Go to youtube and watch Hicks from the 2017 season. I don't give a ding dong who he is going up against, his arm is his arm. This kid can throw a deep ball more accurately with better spin and more velocity than any current QB on this team. Really it's not close.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2019, 09:32:26 pm »

I keep pointing this out. Go to youtube and watch Hicks from the 2017 season. I don't give a ding dong who he is going up against, his arm is his arm. This kid can throw a deep ball more accurately with better spin and more velocity than any current QB on this team. Really it's not close.

Yes, and bring that #18 with him.  Damn, who is that kid?

CandleStick

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2019, 09:35:02 pm »

You guys keep bringing up the 2017 season so lets take a look at it.

VS TCU - Loss, 305 yards passing
VS Houston - Loss , 397 yards passing
VS UCF - Loss, 283 yards passing
VS Memphis - Loss, 218 yards passing
VS Navy - Loss, 261 yards passing
VS Louisiana Tech - Loss, 127 yards passing

His wins that year were - SFA, North Texas, Arky State, UCONN, Cincy, Tulsa and Tulane.

So the guy we're relying on was 7-6 during his best year at SMU. Please explain to me how that translates to the SEC. Against the toughest competition he faced in the AAC he beat a descent ASU and Cincy team. He lost against all the ranked teams. Of the teams he lost to maybe TCU could have beaten some SEC teams.

He had NFL receivers to throw to as well. What on this earth shows you that he will be able to win against Bama, LSU, Miss state and so many others on our schedule. Yes he may put up good numbers against our awful non conference competition but lets be real he hasn't shown anything real against top competition.

And if he was our guy then why is our coaching staff still talking to other QB's? Even our coaches know he may not be the guy for the job. At least make this guy prove he belongs against SEC competition before you slobber all over him.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2019, 09:44:03 pm »

His wins that year were - SFA, North Texas, Arky State, UCONN, Cincy, Tulsa and Tulane.

So the guy we're relying on was 7-6 during his best year at SMU. Please explain to me how that translates to the SEC. Against the toughest competition he faced in the AAC he beat a descent ASU and Cincy team. He lost against all the ranked teams. Of the teams he lost to maybe TCU could have beaten some SEC teams.

He had NFL receivers to throw to as well. What on this earth shows you that he will be able to win against Bama, LSU, Miss state and so many others on our schedule. Yes he may put up good numbers against our awful non conference competition but lets be real he hasn't shown anything real against top competition.

And if he was our guy then why is our coaching staff still talking to other QB's? Even our coaches know he may not be the guy for the job. At least make this guy prove he belongs against SEC competition before you slobber all over him.
Well for one thing, he was at SMU, which has sucked for a really long time.
You donít have to write so much just to say ďIím not happy with thisĒ.

psychhog

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2019, 09:47:36 pm »

Lol agree

CandleStick

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2019, 09:48:55 pm »

When you write everything out it makes the point to these people who are dying for him to be the savior without him accomplishing anything against the NFL type defenses he will be playing against. Everyone just wants to point out his big numbers without diving into the fact he was 7-6 and didn't beat a ranked opponent.

For the record I'm not against BH one bit. I want him to come in and win.

I'm just tired of reading all these post from people who are drooling over him yet he hasn't accomplished anything. Lets see if the kid can compete against NFL defenses then make a determination.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2019, 09:52:27 pm »

Who is slobbering over him? I made the point that he throws a better deep ball than Ty Storey, Cole Kelley, Connor Noland or John Stephen Jones. I've seen them throw. I've seen him throw. There is a difference.

But since you made the point about him not having any experience throwing against SEC competition do you think Morris would waste a scholarship with the recruits he has coming in if he thought Hicks was not an upgrade over what he had last season?

I'll take Morris' thinking on this any day of the week. He knows his own offense. He knows what he needs in a QB.

Tell you what, at his signing day presser Morris will be asked about why he signed Hicks. Why don't we see wait and see what he has to say about the kid.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:12 pm »

When you write everything out it makes the point to these people who are dying for him to be the savior
I've yet to see anyone call Hicks a savior.  Most fans would be estatic if we made a bowl game.

Most fans are happy to have a QB who knows Morris' system and who has won a game as a starter..... which is something that Storey never did.

Everyone is looking towards KJ Jefferson's time but we need a QB to stabilize things until he is ready.  We are hoping for stability, not a heisman winner.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2019, 09:55:30 pm »

You got any better ideas?  I'd like to hear them.  I doubt if he's miracle worker, but he might get us to bowl game next year and at worst, he's a bridge to the future.  It's one damn year.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2019, 09:57:35 pm »

I've yet to see anyone call Hicks a savior.  Most fans would be estatic if we made a bowl game.

Most fans are happy to have a QB who knows Morris' system and who has won a game as a starter..... which is something that Storey never did.

Everyone is looking towards KJ Jefferson's time but we need a QB to stabilize things until he is ready.  We are hoping for stability, not a heisman winner.
Sounds familiar...   :P

psychhog

« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2019, 10:04:52 pm »

Iím not slobbering over him. You called him a very average QB. I just stated that by the numbers and comparing him to all 100+ Starting QBs in college football heís technically been above average. He played 2 teams that finished top 10 that year and put up decent numbers against them. He didnít play defense against them. I donít know if heíll be a good QB for Arkansas but at least from what heís done at the college level, heís better than what we have on campus now, especially given that heís had success in college with this staff and offensive system (#13 total offense in 2017 vastly improved from the previous 2 seasons). I think the 7-6 record has more to do with SMUís awful defense than lack of offense. Their recruits were maybe on par with their competition but as pointed out SMU has not been good at football for a long time so they had an uphill battle in recruiting.

I actually pointed out that he had 2 NFL WR that he threw to. I also pointed out that one of them was recruited as a DB and was a 3*, the other did nothing at LSU (I donít know what happened but he literally didnít have much in the stat column at LSU so he played against sec competition and didnít do much, is it that he wasnít that good, or did Ben hicks elevate him at SMU?). I donít know the answer to that question, just posing it for thought.

psychhog

« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2019, 10:11:15 pm »

We literally had this same discussion in another thread over mahomes going 0-8 against ranked opponents at tech and that translating to NFL (so far I think heís done ok in the NFL). I am not at all comparing hicks to mahomes or saying he will have the same level of success as him, just bringing up this mindset about competition an opponents in QBís. Just because he hasnít played in the sec, doesnít mean he wonít have any success in the sec. Heís done pretty well against the competition heís faced which is pretty much all he can do.

Iím just hoping for 6 wins and a bowl game. Maybe hicks wonít be able to do that for us. Hopefully he will.

psychhog

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2019, 10:36:18 pm »

Who is slobbering over him? I made the point that he throws a better deep ball than Ty Storey, Cole Kelley, Connor Noland or John Stephen Jones. I've seen them throw. I've seen him throw. There is a difference.

But since you made the point about him not having any experience throwing against SEC competition do you think Morris would waste a scholarship with the recruits he has coming in if he thought Hicks was not an upgrade over what he had last season?

I'll take Morris' thinking on this any day of the week. He knows his own offense. He knows what he needs in a QB.

Tell you what, at his signing day presser Morris will be asked about why he signed Hicks. Why don't we see wait and see what he has to say about the kid.

I would also point out the fact that Morris has, not only experience with Hicks leading his offense as QB, but experience preparing for SEC defenses given he was able to beat a few during his time at Clemson (also now having a year as HC of an SEC team).

I definitely second the notion that he knows what he needs in a QB to have success.

oldhawg

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2019, 10:49:18 pm »

Think that I'll reserve my judgement on Hicks until after next season.  At that time my 20-20 hindsight vision will be far better than any I've read so far.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:39 am »

Yes, and bring that #18 with him.  Damn, who is that kid?
I don't know about #18, but in the 2017 season WR # 16 would be Courtland Sutton.  2nd round draft pick with the Denver Broncos.

HogJowler

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2019, 10:41:26 am »

And what/who made them Pro receivers?  They were not pro receivers coming out of HS.  Doesn't seem like the Pros were to concerned about their level of competition.

HogJowler

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2019, 10:43:46 am »

You put anything on the defense behind him?  Looks like he held up his end in most of these games.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2019, 10:52:11 am »

AMEN brother!!  Preach on!!  You have seen the light !

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2019, 11:07:44 am »

TCU 18-38 with 2 INTs  - Minus 6 yards rushing
Houston  41-58 with an INT - No yards rushing, 10 points in the 2nd half, zero in the 4th Qtr
UCF  27-51, 54 yards rushing, 10 points in the 2nd half, zero in the 4th Qtr
Memphis  15-34, 25 yds rushing
Navy 16-29, 14 yds rushing
La Tech 19-34 3 INTs, minus 32 Rushing, 10 points total, zero in 2nd half.

CandleStick

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2019, 11:19:47 am »

You put anything on the defense behind him?  Looks like he held up his end in most of these games.

Maybe you should check out the stats another poster put up just a few minutes ago and let me know what you think.

If you use the defensive argument for Ben hicks then are you willing to use the same argument for Ty?

CandleStick

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2019, 11:20:50 am »

TCU 18-38 with 2 INTs  - Minus 6 yards rushing
Houston  41-58 with an INT - No yards rushing, 10 points in the 2nd half, zero in the 4th Qtr
UCF  27-51, 54 yards rushing, 10 points in the 2nd half, zero in the 4th Qtr
Memphis  15-34, 25 yds rushing
Navy 16-29, 14 yds rushing
La Tech 19-34 3 INTs, minus 32 Rushing, 10 points total, zero in 2nd half.

Wait these numbers donít fit their narrative of how good Ben hicks is. How dare you point out facts.

CandleStick

« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2019, 11:21:38 am »

And what/who made them Pro receivers?  They were not pro receivers coming out of HS.  Doesn't seem like the Pros were to concerned about their level of competition.

Theirs a major difference in pro receivers and pro quarterbacks. Are you trying to say BH is a pro QB?

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2019, 12:05:48 pm »

How many wins does Ty have against any level of competition?  I'll hang up and listen.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2019, 12:15:36 pm »

It should be better on the non conference at least.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2019, 04:56:15 pm »

Theirs a major difference in pro receivers and pro quarterbacks. Are you trying to say BH is a pro QB?

He'll be drafted after next season. He won't be a first rounder but he will get drafted. He has too strong of an arm and he's too accurate for the NFL teams to ignore him.

hogfansince79

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2019, 05:05:30 pm »

Ben Hicks, by the numbers...

(Morris Offense)
NAME      CMP   ATT   YDS   CMP%   YDS/A   TD   INT   RAT
Ben Hicks   234   422   2930   55.5       6.9   19   15   121.5 (#95)

TD every 22.2 attempts  --  INT every 28.1 attempts

Ben Hicks   276   472   3569   58.5       7.6   33   12   140.0 (#46)

TD every 14.3 attempts  --  INT every 39.3 attempts

(Dykes Offense)
Ben Hicks   208   372   2582   55.9       6.9    19    7   127.3 (#81)

TD every 19.6 attempts  --  INT every 53.1 attempts

Career  -  9081 yds  -  71 td  -  34 int

Rushing                Sacks              Adusted Rushing (rushing - sacks)
       ATT     YDS          SACK     SYL           ATT      YDS      YPC      LNG       TD
2016   41     -83           23      -148            18        65        3.6        15        2

2017   54      47            21      -135           33       182        5.5        25        1

2018   45     -68           28       -227           17       159        9.3        51        0

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2567/season/2018

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics

I don't give a sh it what anyone says... I'm glad he is here.  WPS!

hogsmash12

« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2019, 07:11:01 pm »

I thought this was a Storey thread not a Hicks thread..where is Storey going?

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2019, 07:13:44 pm »

crickets
who amongst ye thought there would be a D1 market for him?

psychhog

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2019, 07:48:42 pm »

Wait these numbers donít fit their narrative of how good Ben hicks is. How dare you point out facts.

I donít think thereís a narrative of how good he is. There is a narrative that 3500 yards and 30 tds, leading the #13 offense in the country is better than what we had last year. Yes he had 2 guys that were drafted to play WR in the NFL. One guy was a 3 star DB who this staff decided to play at WR and a transfer who had what like 15 catches over 2 seasons at LSU before transferring. Iím not saying trey Quinn isnít NFL caliber but do you think he wouldíve been if he stayed at LSU? I donít know the answer to that but we certainly saw a big leap in production with him under this staff, with this qb, and against a different level of competition that you keep harping on for BH.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2019, 08:43:19 pm »

I don't give a sh it what anyone says... I'm glad he is here.  WPS!
Me too, man. Iím fair to certain the level of competition Hicks has faced is higher than every single high school QB in the nation that could have come in this year. Iím very glad we got him, and look for him to do a solid job for the Hogs this fall. 

oldhawg

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2019, 08:50:50 pm »

If Story does not sign with anyone else, does he have the option to return to the Razorbacks as a scholarship player? 

« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2019, 08:52:34 pm »

A better evaluation could be, what games would you see Jalen Hurts winning for us had he come here, that Ben Hicks can't win for us.  Hurts doesn't know our offense but his is a leader and a winner.  Hicks knows the offense but hasn't proven he is the leader and winner that Hurts is.  First off, Hurts wouldn't come here.  I could see Hurts willing and leading us to 6 wins if he could learn enough about the offense to get it down.  I believe Hicks could win 6 for us to except I worry about his mobility.  I could see him getting hurt and not playing half the season.  Its my belief you could give Arkansas any 3 QBs on earth they wanted for next year and I doubt we'd win more than 6 regular season.  Even the very best QB can only do so much.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2019, 08:52:46 pm »

Wait these numbers don’t fit their narrative of how good Ben hicks is. How dare you point out facts.

The "narrative" from those who seem positive about Ben Hicks: "He seems better than what was here and he knows Chad's offense."

The "narrative" from those who seem negative about Ben Hicks:  "His record at SMU sucked.  Chad Morris sucks.  We suck.  Misery loves company".

Beardog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2019, 09:03:19 pm »

A better evaluation could be, what games would you see Jalen Hurts winning for us had he come here, that Ben Hicks can't win for us.  Hurts doesn't know our offense but his is a leader and a winner.  Hicks knows the offense but hasn't proven he is the leader and winner that Hurts is.  First off, Hurts wouldn't come here.  I could see Hurts willing and leading us to 6 wins if he could learn enough about the offense to get it down.  I believe Hicks could win 6 for us to except I worry about his mobility.  I could see him getting hurt and not playing half the season.  Its my belief you could give Arkansas any 3 QBs on earth they wanted for next year and I doubt we'd win more than 6 regular season.  Even the very best QB can only do so much.

What proof shows he was a leader? How is that quantifiable on a team with the best player at every position? Absolutely talented for sure, I donít disagree there.

His head coach is obviously a great leader but we have no evidence of Hurts having any leadership skills. Iím not saying he doesnít but I didnít see anything that said ďyeah, this guy would use his LEADERSHIP to win us games this yearĒ.

Also injuries are freak accidents 99% of the time. Unless heís been injured many times, itís a crapshoot every play.

« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2019, 10:52:53 pm »

No this is HOGVILLE where axes are brought for grinding.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2019, 11:21:57 pm »

Ben Hicks is not a savior. There is only one of those. However, before saying the guy isn't the answer for us in 2019, there is the fact that he put up very good numbers vs N. TX in 2017, Houston 2 or 3 times and at least played respectably vs TCU and others.

I believe he fared better vs TCU in 2017 than Austin Allen did for us and that was before he got hurt. I know he performed MUCH better vs NTSU than any QB in an Arkansas uni.

Before trashing his accomplishments as being meaningless because of the competition, consider this: how did our QBs in 2018 perform vs CSU and NTSU? Houston was easily better than one of those teams and maybe both. Hicks had around 400 yards and 3 TDs IIRC.

Houston beat OU in the opening game of 2016 before you trash that program. It's not about slobbering over him or looking to him as a "savior." It's about IMPROVEMENT for 2019 at the QB position. That's not a real high bar to clear, but this guy will give us improvement.

Yeah, he wasn't our first choice. What do you do when the #1 choice is off the board? You go after the next best one you can get.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas