• 10,057,008 Posts
• 402,611 Topics
• 23,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Arkansas into a powerhouse  (Read 6763 times)

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Re: Building Arkansas into a powerhouse
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2018, 11:26:44 am »

Some Hog fans don't realize or try to ignore the difference in level of Arkansas high school football to the surrounding states except Missouri and other southern states.

Are you saying Missouri is a southern state?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2018, 11:28:38 am »

Are you saying Missouri is a southern state?

Not in my view.  Other southern states related to Arkansas.  Had to put the Missouri exception in there though as their high school football sucks. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2018, 11:28:40 am »

Yep.  The schools do great vs Arkansas competition.  The exception in Arkansas.  Where the demographics aren't suited for producing a high number of SEC level recruits. 

Kind of like South Carolina (Clemson).

Oh, wait...

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2018, 11:30:15 am »

Not in my view.  Other southern states related to Arkansas.  Had to put the Missouri exception in there though as their high school football sucks. 

Gotcha. I thought that might be what you were saying as opposed to saying Missouri was included with the group of southern states.

With Kansas City and St. Louis, it is a little surprising that Missouri football isn't better.

ricepig

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2018, 11:32:22 am »

Yep.  The schools do great vs Arkansas competition.  The exception in Arkansas.  Where the demographics aren't suited for producing a high number of SEC level recruits. 

They do well against the regional teams they play, or Bentonville and Springdale(pre-split) and Fayetteville. They've played the North LA powerhouses, and Arkansas High had success back 10 years ago before their numbers started going down against some Texas teams. The problem is there is limited schools the size to complete with some of these other regional teams.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2018, 11:34:30 am »

Oh, wait...

Nothing like Clemson.  South Carolina upstate has 1.35 million people with demographics much more diverse than NWA.  Clemson is 2 hours from Atlanta and much closer to the northern suburbs on I85.  Clemson is 2 hours from Charlotte.  Our situation is nothing like theirs.  Clemson's comp in the SEC is Auburn. 

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2018, 11:38:19 am »

Nothing like Clemson.  South Carolina upstate has 1.35 million people with demographics much more diverse than NWA.  Clemson is 2 hours from Atlanta and much closer to the northern suburbs on I85.  Clemson is 2 hours from Charlotte.  Our situation is nothing like theirs.  Clemson's comp in the SEC is Auburn. 

It could be argued that Fayetteville's proximity to population centers (Kansas City, Tulsa, Dallas, etc.) is in line with that of Clemson, with less competition from the schools in the region that Clemson competes against.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2018, 11:39:35 am »

Oh, wait...

Did you bother to look at the maps provided on the previous page showing how many top 15 recruits came from what areas over the past several years? Clemson is smack in the middle of a ton of them. Fayetteville, not so much.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2018, 11:39:56 am »

They do well against the regional teams they play, or Bentonville and Springdale(pre-split) and Fayetteville. They've played the North LA powerhouses, and Arkansas High had success back 10 years ago before their numbers started going down against some Texas teams. The problem is there is limited schools the size to complete with some of these other regional teams.

I obviously made a mistake in my earlier reply as it was too hastily made and didn't spell this out for this forum.  NWA teams + Greenwood do absolutely great vs their competition.  Their teams have a high level of success.  Cabot is another tradition exception in Arkansas with money + facilities + coaching + numbers.  Those NWA high schools including Shiloh have beaten some "regional" high schools.  Doesn't correlate to helping the UA by producing recruits.  The region is the exception in Arkansas.  You don't see what happens there in vast regions of the state in terms of numbers + investment where the demographics would lead to more recruits. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2018, 11:40:26 am »

It could be argued that Fayetteville's proximity to population centers (Kansas City, Tulsa, Dallas, etc.) is in line with that of Clemson, with less competition from the schools in the region that Clemson competes against.

Yes, you could argue that, IF you have no concept of time, distance or demographics.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2018, 11:41:01 am »

No it can't be argued.  WTH?  maps.google.com

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2018, 11:41:38 am »

Did you bother to look at the maps provided on the previous page showing how many top 15 recruits came from what areas over the past several years? Clemson is smack in the middle of a ton of them. Fayetteville, not so much.

Yes, I actually was the one that posted those maps.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2018, 11:44:08 am »

I obviously made a mistake in my earlier reply as it was too hastily made and didn't spell this out for this forum.  NWA teams + Greenwood do absolutely great vs their competition.  Their teams have a high level of success.  Cabot is another tradition exception in Arkansas with money + facilities + coaching + numbers.  Those NWA high schools including Shiloh have beaten some "regional" high schools.  Doesn't correlate to helping the UA by producing recruits.  The region is the exception in Arkansas.  You don't see what happens there in vast regions of the state in terms of numbers + investment where the demographics would lead to more recruits. 

The NWA schools have excellent TEAMS. When they go play teams form other areas of the state or from other states rarely do the NWA teams have the best player.  I called a game this year where one team had wonderful facilities, excellent coaches, etc and the other team did not come from such means, but they had the best player on the field, BY FAR, yet he had no one to block for him, and their defense was atrocious. They lost by 40, and it was a sportsmanship rule midway through the 2nd quarter.

Hogmatic

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2018, 11:44:34 am »

Some Hog fans don't realize or try to ignore the difference in level of Arkansas high school football to the surrounding states except Missouri and other southern states.  Remarkable to drive through rural Alabama and Georgia and see the high schools and facilities.  The amount of money that has been invested in the schools + football is nowhere comparable.

It is a culture that is hard to believe until you spend some time in the SE US to see the investment in their high schools and facilities.  I lived in TN and GA for about 8 years so I traveled the region and totally agree with you.  Georgia with almost 2-3x more population has half the # of school districts as Arkansas.   We have TONS of small school districts that lower the curriculum offerings, lower the level of competition, and have limited funds to invest.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2018, 11:45:38 am »

Yes, I actually was the one that posted those maps.

So you posted those maps yet still want to argue that Clemson and Fayetteville are comparable when talking about proximity to, and areas producing top talent?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2018, 11:46:21 am »

The NWA schools have excellent TEAMS. When they go play teams form other areas of the state or from other states rarely do the NWA teams have the best player.  I called a game this year where one team had wonderful facilities, excellent coaches, etc and the other team did not come from such means, but they had the best player on the field, BY FAR, yet he had no one to block for him, and their defense was atrocious. They lost by 40, and it was a sportsmanship rule midway through the 2nd quarter.

Yes.  Thanks for simplifying for the others.  TEAMS is right.  Different conversation.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2018, 11:48:52 am »

Another way our situation is nothing like Clemson's:

African American populations from 2010 census:
Georgia 3.15 million
SC 1.3 million

Arkansas 450K
Missouri 700K
Oklahoma 277K

ricepig

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2018, 11:51:49 am »

A poor state, is poor, pretty simple. In the rural areas, the school money comes from the property owners, usually agri in those demographic areas you suggest. I get tired of not being able to vote on my tax increases because I don't live in the districts where they vote to increase. I don't see a great awakening of increased money for athletics in those areas, they're struggling to pay the teachers.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2018, 11:53:23 am »

It is a culture that is hard to believe until you spend some time in the SE US to see the investment in their high schools and facilities.  I lived in TN and GA for about 8 years so I traveled the region and totally agree with you.  Georgia with almost 2-3x more population has half the # of school districts as Arkansas.   We have TONS of small school districts that lower the curriculum offerings, lower the level of competition, and have limited funds to invest.

I agree that Georgia has fewer school districts than Arkansas but they have many more High Schools than Arkansas does. A large number of the school districts in Georgia have multiple High schools.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2018, 11:54:23 am »

No it can't be argued.  WTH?  maps.google.com

Ok, I will play that game.

Major cities within a 5 hour drive to Clemson:
Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville

Major cities within a 5 hour drive to Fayetteville:
Dallas, Tulsa, Little Rock, Kansas City, Oklahoma City

Competition proximity to Clemson:
Around 21 Power 5 schools in close proximity (depending on how you define "close")

Competition proximity to Arkansas:
Around 11 Power 5 schools in close proximity (depending on how you define "close")

Note: I am not saying that overall Arkansas is in just as good of a position as Clemson, just that the argument can be made to that effect and that we aren't as bad off as sometimes people characterize us.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2018, 11:54:48 am »

A poor state, is poor, pretty simple. In the rural areas, the school money comes from the property owners, usually agri in those demographic areas you suggest. I get tired of not being able to vote on my tax increases because I don't live in the districts where they vote to increase. I don't see a great awakening of increased money for athletics in those areas, they're struggling to pay the teachers.

I agree.  Arkansas was never fortunate to be a part of something like the TVA.  It's business leaders not forward thinking enough.  Very fortunate they didn't run Sam and Bud to Missouri or elsewhere.  Some struggle accepting what Arkansas is let alone the football program.  We have one handicap that cannot be fixed:  our recruiting base compared to our competition.  Morris is showing what hard work can do as far as our potential. 

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2018, 11:55:43 am »

Another way our situation is nothing like Clemson's:

African American populations from 2010 census:
Georgia 3.15 million
SC 1.3 million

Arkansas 450K
Missouri 700K
Oklahoma 277K

South Carolina has more Power 5 schools in their borders (and in surrounding states) than Arkansas does though, so you have to divide those SC numbers at least in half.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2018, 12:00:01 pm »

Ok, I will play that game.

Major cities within a 5 hour drive to Clemson:
Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville

Major cities within a 5 hour drive to Fayetteville:
Dallas, Tulsa, Little Rock, Kansas City, Oklahoma City

Competition proximity to Clemson:
Around 21 Power 5 schools in close proximity (depending on how you define "close")

Competition proximity to Arkansas:
Around 11 Power 5 schools in close proximity (depending on how you define "close")

Note: I am not saying that overall Arkansas is in just as good of a position as Clemson, just that the argument can be made to that effect and that we aren't as bad off as sometimes people characterize us.

We are in a good situation compared to most of college football.  Over half the Big 10, some of the Big 12, ACC and a few of the Pac 12 would love to be where we are.  What makes us different is who our competition is and how they can recruit.  I do it every year it seems like where I list the SEC classes compared to the other conferences.  The SEC will have 10 classes from 1-20 and the other 4 not far behind.  The other conferences will have maybe 2-3 around top 10 -15 (OU and Texas, Penn St - Oh St and Michigan, USC- Oregon and Washington) and the rest are in the 30s, 40s, 50s and lower. 

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2018, 12:00:19 pm »

I had some serious issues with some of our coaching decisions last year....but that was last year. My main concern about Morris and his offense is that SEC defenses have seen similar variations of it for a decade now. Are we late to the party with this RPO offense?

Alabama defense is the best at what they do and Clemson has had success.

Pig Worshipper

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »

Wait, the most awesome amazing greatest class ever is only going to end up AROUND 20th ( so could be anywhere from 23-17 )? An then he is going to top the most awesome amazing greatest class, with one that is MORE awesome, amazing, greatest; and then top that with one that is the mostest ever awesome amazing greatest?  Lots of assuming in there.
This is so true. A total fantasy.

And even if the fantasy comes true, we know from Razorback history that our truly great coaches have been wonderful at recruiting great assistant coaches. Morris can only get an over-the-hill Chavis and a bunch of inexperienced nobodies. This motley crew just gave us the worst season and worst coaching in the history of Razorback football.

When I see Chad Morris recruiting great assistants like Frank Broyles and Lou Holtz did, then I will know we have finally found our head coach - not just a pathetic pretender.

The Cult of Chad is strong on Hogville.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2018, 12:13:21 pm »

South Carolina has more Power 5 schools in their borders (and in surrounding states) than Arkansas does though, so you have to divide those SC numbers at least in half.

Here is what Clemson has to compete with in the surrounding states:
UGA - national power and elite recruiting program
GT - not competition for a variety of reasons
South Carolina - traditionally inferior program to Clemson
North Carolina - has at times been able to recruit well, Mack probably will again.  Huge state population with growth and demographics
Wake, NC St and Duke aren't on and never will be on Clemson's level.  Not recruiting competition.
Auburn, Bama, Florida, FSU and Tenn hit this area hard and certainly are competition. 

Our competition?
Well there are only a handful of recruits in Arkansas worth spending any time on.
When we go into Texas we are competing with Texas, A&M and OU plus everyone else just about in college football.
Oklahoma of course has OU and then Ok St which has been more consistent than us with Gundy.
Missouri is the near wasteland Arkansas recruiting is.
Louisiana is not a short drive from Fay and we compete against LSU and the rest of the SEC West there.
Kansas?

Another part of this discussion we have is the population boom in the South missed Arkansas.  The Carolinas, Georgia and Florida have experienced huge growth from the NE and Rust Belt while we've been in the SEC.  Texas has as well.  Not Arkansas. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2018, 12:15:12 pm »

Sounds like you're just mad they won't name the gymnasium after you

Hawghiggs

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »

Arkansas will never be a powerhouse in football while its a member of the SEC. Could we have a few great seasons? Yes, That's possible. But the schedule does not work out in our favor. That's the real reason certain programs stay on top.

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2018, 12:33:12 pm »

True, but comparing us to getting back to relevance to vandy winning the NC isn’t quite the same thing. We’ve been relevant in college football before and even in this decade, although that does feel like a lifetime ago...

I get what you’re saying though. It definitely is an uphill battle for CCM to get us to being consistently competitive in the sec. hopefully Morris can turn these recruits into studs on the field. As another poster said only time will tell.
The post didn't say get back to relevance. It said become like the team that has gone to 3 straight CFP and is undoubtedly the 2nd most successful team in football this decade.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2018, 12:45:26 pm »

Another part of this discussion we have is the population boom in the South missed Arkansas.  The Carolinas, Georgia and Florida have experienced huge growth from the NE and Rust Belt while we've been in the SEC.  Texas has as well.  Not Arkansas. 

That is an interesting point. I wonder why that is?

I know the Northwest part of Arkansas is still growing fast, but I suppose other sections have remained the same (or even decreased) in population?

NEA_HogFan

• Varsity
Just gonna leave this here....
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2018, 12:53:45 pm »

So is it about recruiting or coaching and development? hmm

liljo

• Hogvillian
Re: Just gonna leave this here....
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2018, 12:55:09 pm »

Pretty eye opening!

HogPharmer

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2018, 12:57:32 pm »

Obviously it's about both. People who try to pin success/failure solely on one thing are ignorant.

sevenof400

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2018, 12:59:39 pm »

Obviously it's about both. People who try to pin success/failure solely on one thing are ignorant.

...or myopic.

HogPharmer

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2018, 01:00:32 pm »

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2018, 01:03:50 pm »

The lesser team will also have more draft picks. Most under performing university in America right now football wise... based off the talent they have each and every year.

sevenof400

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2018, 01:03:53 pm »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »

The most important issue is, "did we improve the talent of the roster compared to what CBB left us?"   No recruiting ranking can properly ascertain the improvement of talent of an individual team because talent improvement and filling talent HOLES in the position groups is more critical for teams.  Arkansas suffered from talent HOLES and over all speed and talent.  The NEW talent compared to the current talent of the last 2 years is an important consideration for improvement of this team/roster.  This recruiting class brought in some serious talent and filled some talent holes, especially for a 2-10 season.   Just think what he could do if we have a 7-5 season with obvious progress?  We need LBs in a bad way still but the 2nd signing date and grad transfers can clear that up.   Conversely, you can look at what we have done with a lot of 3 star SCHOLAR athletes mixed in with some studs during the Long/CBB era.

We have had a scattered approach to recruiting after joined the SEC and lost our connection with Texas.  CCM has major credibility and image with East Texas, Central Texas and DFW schools.  Traylor is a rock star in TX HS FB as well. CCM and Co. opened pipelines to productive High School programs in TX and then opened more doors in LA, and the SE US.   Chavis is a big door opener from Texas to South Carolina.

At this time, I'm not as worried about our Recruiting ranking against other SEC teams.  I only use national recruiting rankings to see if we are improving against NON-SEC schools, because the SEC cheats too much to worry about competing against the SEC cheaters with one arm tied behind your back.  OM getting a slap on the wrist only emboldens the other cheaters in the SEC.  I see that we are improving our talent with this class via the rankings, but it isn't that dramatic when UGA, Miss St, A&M, UT and of course OM are recently moving up to the Bama, AU, UF, LSU levels of recruiting.  We are in a conference with almost 10 teams that are recruiting at an insanely high level which has made a big jump while we were failing with CBB.

I agree that Morris' connections in Texas should help us. They already are.

I think that you have to pay attention to how other SEC schools are recruiting, they are our main competition. It's obvious that we are already recruiting better athletes but we have to do so at every position and not isolate on one, two or three position groups every year. Sometimes you get unexpectedly bit in the arse because you take a gamble that you can do with fewer in a particular position group during a recruiting cycle or two and then you have unanticipated attrition due to injuries and/or early transfers/retirements due to unhappiness with the program, a desire to play more and quicker or a physical danger to the player if they continue to play along with those who are just ready to move on to another phase of their life. I think we experienced some of all of those under Bielema. That certainly hurt us along the O-Line. Bottom line, we need to carefully calculate how many we need to take at every position and each year we need to improve the quality of every position group, IMO.

As for the other SEC teams you mentioned, over the last 4 years only Alabama's classes have averaged a Mid 4 star class ranking overall. The schools with Lower 4 star average have included Auburn, LSU and Georgia. A&M, Ole Miss, Miss State, Florida and Arkansas have all averaged High 3 star classes over the last 4 years so believe or not, we aren't that far off.

The good news is that if Morris can finish out this class as anticipated we will have recruited a Low 4 star class on offense and another High 3 star class on defense while probably doing a better job of addressing our needs by position. I'm still concerned about finding a second RB, another LB and a grad transfer QB who knows this offense and only has to learn the terminology that Morris uses, but other than that, we are doing good. Just need to close it out for 2019 and reload another quality class for 2020.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2018, 01:05:52 pm »

That is an interesting point. I wonder why that is?

I know the Northwest part of Arkansas is still growing fast, but I suppose other sections have remained the same (or even decreased) in population?

At the risk of a derail, one of the main reasons is because of how hostile this state is toward business, and toward " outsiders ".

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2018, 01:06:23 pm »

Gotta get better coaches in Little Rock and South Arkansas. Tons of talent being wasted in these schools.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2018, 01:09:19 pm »

Gotta get better coaches in Little Rock and South Arkansas. Tons of talent being wasted in these schools.
Good place to start.

Lots of talented kids walking the halls or playing basketball only. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2018, 01:10:03 pm »

Good place to start.

Lots of talented kids walking the halls or playing basketball only. 
If Warren can do it... No reason others cant do it down south.

jkstock04

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2018, 01:10:31 pm »

Wisconsin has a system that seems to work in the big 10...and against Miami two years in a row.

Beavis Bielema brought that system here and you saw what happened. While I agree coaching matters....exceptions to the rule on down playing schools with blue Chip players doesn't make sense either.

Pork Twain

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2018, 01:18:43 pm »

It is not as simple as just the proximity to recruits.

These distances are all relative to Arkansas' distance to Dallas.  Clemson is also in smack in the middle of a lot of upper tier schools

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »

We see this all the time in bowl season.  Anyone can get up for one game and win it. 

Yet Wisky only managed a 7-5 year in the Big10.  Quite unimpressive for such a well coached, well schemed, player developed, motivated and disciplined program.

Of course, I would have killed for a 7-5 record this year.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2018, 01:21:53 pm »

Miami has shown to have some issues this year.  Not sure this stat is fully indicative of what you are trying to say what it is.

SOFLAHOGFAN

• Band Nerd
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »

I live in Miami for 32 years and my Wife is a U Graduate plus worked for the U Athletic Department in the good days with Trophies every other year. All I can tell is this is the 3rd year with the Richt. His worst. We should hope the 3rd year with Morris is much better. WPS!

sevenof400

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2018, 01:22:31 pm »

Of course, at first reading of the title, I thought this thread was more appropriate for San Francisco.......

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2018, 01:24:44 pm »

We should hire the Wisconsin coach and see if that style works for us.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2018, 01:27:15 pm »

It is not as simple as just the proximity to recruits.

These distances are all relative to Arkansas' distance to Dallas.  Clemson is also in smack in the middle of a lot of upper tier schools

But look how devoid of color on that map the Arkansas circle is when compared to all the others. It is true Arkansas does not have as many "local" school to battle for local recruits, but there just are not many "local" recruits to battle for either.

I heard on one of the shows a couple weeks ago that either the 2020 class or the 2021 class has only 2 instate kids offered and not likely to add more than 1 more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas