• 10,059,710 Posts
• 402,692 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Arkansas into a powerhouse  (Read 6934 times)

Pork Twain

Building Arkansas into a powerhouse
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:37:18 am »

It is not outside the realm of possibilities for us to become the Clemson of the SEC.  He just has to do what no coach has done since desegregation, recruit well, win games, continue to recruit well and win games and don't let your personal life screw things up.  If he can do that, he can build something great here. I honestly think CBP would have done it if he could have capitalized on his success on the field, in recruiting and had a better personality to sell in living rooms.  CBB...I had faith in him until I realized he was a lousy at keeping coaches and recruiting/developing talent to match his system.  Right now I have faith in CCM's recruiting but it remains to be seen if he can translate that to the field and then continue to build upon it in following classes and seasons.

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
Re: Building Arkansas into a powerhouse
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:45:51 am »

Coach Morris has made big steps to begin the rebuild.  These 2 recruiting classes and the exodus of dead weight/mutiny types are steps in the right direction.

Too many fans expect too much too quickly. The rebuild is underway

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pork Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:50:24 am »

Coach Morris has made big steps to begin the rebuild.  These 2 recruiting classes and the exodus of dead weight/mutiny types are steps in the right direction.

Too many fans expect too much too quickly. The rebuild is underway
I agree but at the end of the day, the proof is on the field.  It remains to be seen if he can translate the recruiting from this class, into success on the field or if he can build on, on-field success and previous recruiting classes.  Maybe he will and maybe he won't, only time will tell

rhames

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:54:52 am »

It's not outside the realm of possibility he just has to do and maintain a level of success no one before him has!!!

Let's let Morris get us back to being relevant before we ask him to make us Clemson.

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 08:55:09 am »

Vanderbilt could win the national championship next year too. But it's not likely.

psychhog

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 09:02:32 am »

Vanderbilt could win the national championship next year too. But it's not likely.

True, but comparing us to getting back to relevance to vandy winning the NC isn’t quite the same thing. We’ve been relevant in college football before and even in this decade, although that does feel like a lifetime ago...

I get what you’re saying though. It definitely is an uphill battle for CCM to get us to being consistently competitive in the sec. hopefully Morris can turn these recruits into studs on the field. As another poster said only time will tell.

Pork Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 09:03:25 am »

Thanks for all you bring to the conversation...

LZH

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 09:07:15 am »

I had some serious issues with some of our coaching decisions last year....but that was last year. My main concern about Morris and his offense is that SEC defenses have seen similar variations of it for a decade now. Are we late to the party with this RPO offense?

psychhog

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:11:08 am »

I agree but at the end of the day, the proof is on the field.  It remains to be seen if he can translate the recruiting from this class, into success on the field or if he can build on, on-field success and previous recruiting classes.  Maybe he will and maybe he won't, only time will tell

I agree with you and It’s true he hasn’t done it here yet. I think we’ll see a different team this year that has potential to win 5 or 6 (6 may be a stretch) which would be big improvement for this squad, and an even better team in 2020. He didn’t have a problem turning great recruits into nfl talent at Clemson. Though at that time he was only having to worry about the offense ( which was elite when he was there at Clemson) and not having to run the whole organization. Those are 2 different animals and especially so in the sec west.

Pork Twain

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:16:03 am »

I am not ever worried about us becoming an elite team, that will never happen, but there are several powerhouses that are in similar geographical situations as us.

hoggusamoungus

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 09:17:16 am »

Spot on. Tennessee had consecutive top ten recruiting classes (#7 in 2014, #4 in 2015) and Butch Jones didn't survive after the 2017 season. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 09:17:37 am »

but there are several powerhouses that are in similar geographical situations as us.

And who would those be?

jkstock04

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 09:33:22 am »

And who would those be?
How about OU? Just a guess

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 09:34:44 am »

It is not outside the realm of possibilities for us to become the Clemson of the SEC.  He just has to do what no coach has done since desegregation, recruit well, win games, continue to recruit well and win games and don't let your personal life screw things up.  If he can do that, he can build something great here. I honestly think CBP would have done it if he could have capitalized on his success on the field, in recruiting and had a better personality to sell in living rooms.  CBB...I had faith in him until I realized he was a lousy at keeping coaches and recruiting/developing talent to match his system.  Right now I have faith in CCM's recruiting but it remains to be seen if he can translate that to the field and then continue to build upon it in following classes and seasons.

If Morris can finish out this class as predicted which should give us around a #20 class (.8836) and then be able to move us up to a #14-#15 class next year then another top 15 class the year after, we could very well be able to compete at a much higher level in the SEC. Of course it isn't just about recruiting, though that is a huge part of it. We'll need to retain a quality staff as well. If the program is improving and it looks like we are really building towards something promising, that should be easier to do. Question is, how long can we expect to retain Chavis and then Caldwell is 63, so you have to wonder how long he will stick around as well. We do need continuity in the staff.

There are a lot of questions that remain to be answered so we will see how things work out, but I am encouraged by the job that this staff has done in recruiting so far, and it being on the heels of a 2-10 season makes it even more impressive.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 09:37:43 am »

Florida St               Alabama
Syracuse               LSU
Boston College       Auburn
NC St                    Texas A&M
Wake Forest           Miss St
Louisville                Ole Miss

Lets get back to consistently competitive and see where we are. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 09:40:45 am »

How about OU? Just a guess

Not even close to the same

19 miles from Norman to OKC, metro population 1.3mil.
190 miles to DFW metro population 6.8 million

192 Miles from Fayetteville to LR Metro population 738,000
335 miles from Fayetteville to DFW

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:57 am »

If Morris can finish out this class as predicted which should give us around a #20 class (.8836) and then be able to move us up to a #14-#15 class next year then another top 15 class the year after, we could very well be able to compete at a much higher level in the SEC. Of course it isn't just about recruiting, though that is a huge part of it. We'll need to retain a quality staff as well. If the program is improving and it looks like we are really building towards something promising, that should be easier to do. Question is, how long can we expect to retain Chavis and then Caldwell is 63, so you have to wonder how long he will stick around as well. We do need continuity in the staff.

There are a lot of questions that remain to be answered so we will see how things work out, but I am encouraged by the job that this staff has done in recruiting so far, and it being on the heels of a 2-10 season makes it even more impressive.

But honestly, how much difference is there in a #15 rated class and a #20 rated class?  I would suggest that there's virtually no difference.  If we can have three years of being rated between 10-20 we'll be competitive. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 09:44:44 am »

If Morris can finish out this class as predicted which should give us around a #20 class (.8836) and then be able to move us up to a #14-#15 class next year then another top 15 class the year after, we could very well be able to compete at a much higher level in the SEC.

Wait, the most awesome amazing greatest class ever is only going to end up AROUND 20th ( so could be anywhere from 23-17 )? An then he is going to top the most awesome amazing greatest class, with one that is MORE awesome, amazing, greatest; and then top that with one that is the mostest ever awesome amazing greatest?  Lots of assuming in there.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 09:47:30 am »

But honestly, how much difference is there in a #15 rated class and a #20 rated class?  I would suggest that there's virtually no difference.  If we can have three years of being rated between 10-20 we'll be competitive. 

It depends on what the class is made up of. You can have a highly rated class by singing a bunch of 4/5 star wr's and a 4 star QB. But who did you sign to block for them? Who did you sign to try and stop the other team.

It may have changed but as of the 1st of DEC, for the 2020 class, Morris had offered 45 wrs but only a dozen lb's.  In the 2019 class, as of the last time I looked, they had signed one LB out of the 1st 18 players officially signed.

Pork Twain

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:32 am »

And who would those be?
I bolded SIMILAR so that it was clear that I was not saying exact.  Oklahomo, Clemson, Wisconsin, and not so much recently Nebraska and VT, have all been very strong programs.  Maybe look up what similar means?

There are some on this list that I would not include

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05/18/top-25-college-football-programs-of-the-last-25-years/5/

Pork Twain

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 09:50:55 am »

That is actually very similar, so...

Pork Twain

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 09:53:14 am »

After this year and what I have witnessed from HDN, CBP and CBB over the years, I am cautiously optimistic at best.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 09:58:56 am »

I bolded SIMILAR so that it was clear that I was not saying exact.  Oklahomo, Clemson, Wisconsin, and not so much recently Nebraska and VT, have all been very strong programs.  Maybe look up what similar means?

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05/18/top-25-college-football-programs-of-the-last-25-years/5/

Nebraska has not been a power in almost 2 decades and much has changed since they were.  VT has never been anything more than the most overrated program this century.  Wisconsin?  VT and Wisconsin have good programs.  Very little similarity to our situation.

OU has a 60+ year history in Texas where they've invested heavily.  Championship-NCAA probation-Championship-NCAA probation-Championship-NCAA probation...This + location + competition makes our situation not close to comparable.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 09:59:46 am »

It depends on what the class is made up of. You can have a highly rated class by singing a bunch of 4/5 star wr's and a 4 star QB. But who did you sign to block for them? Who did you sign to try and stop the other team.

It may have changed but as of the 1st of DEC, for the 2020 class, Morris had offered 45 wrs but only a dozen lb's.  In the 2019 class, as of the last time I looked, they had signed one LB out of the 1st 18 players officially signed.

I don't disagree with that, but that holds true for some of the teams in front of us as well.  Other than LB's, I would say this is a pretty evened out class as compared to the past.  You also have to account for some of the players who could be rated higher had they chosen to play the recruiting game and gone to camps and all that. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 10:01:09 am »

I know what similar means, I just do not think being 19 miles from a population area with 1.3 mil is SIMILAR to being 190 miles from a population center with 734,000. Nor do I think it is SIMILAR to being 190 miles form an area with 6.8 mil people to being 335 miles from the same population center.

Is is SIMILAR that Norman has 122K population and Fayetteville has 85K? I guess if you think having 37K fewer people is almost the same, then sure.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 10:04:07 am »

I don't disagree with that, but that holds true for some of the teams in front of us as well.  Other than LB's, I would say this is a pretty evened out class as compared to the past.  You also have to account for some of the players who could be rated higher had they chosen to play the recruiting game and gone to camps and all that. 

I do not buy that the Hogs recruits are lowered rated because they do not attend camps. While there may be one or two that do not, most kids now that even have a thought about playing in college are going to camps. I know a kid here locally that attended every camp he could find for 3 years just trying to get on the radar of someone, anyone. So if kids like that are attending camps I have to think most kids are.

jkstock04

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 10:06:36 am »

Do big-time recruits come out of Oklahoma City? Not saying they dont, I just donr recall that being a recruiting hotbed. I know we have targeted Jenks some over the years.

I have just never considered OU being at any kind of recruiting advantage due to their proximity like say LSU. I kind of view OU more so a product of maximizing the system they run in the Big 12. They have solidified their position and go after Texas kids with said reputation.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 10:10:05 am »

I do not buy that the Hogs recruits are lowered rated because they do not attend camps. While there may be one or two that do not, most kids now that even have a thought about playing in college are going to camps. I know a kid here locally that attended every camp he could find for 3 years just trying to get on the radar of someone, anyone. So if kids like that are attending camps I have to think most kids are.

I'm not saying a lot of them, but Burks and Henry very well could have been 5*'s and that would probably have pushed our class into the mid-teens.  That's my point.  There's really not a lot of difference in most classes between 12-20, in my opinion. 

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 10:10:48 am »

I am not ever worried about us becoming an elite team, that will never happen, but there are several powerhouses that are in similar geographical situations as us.
It is not possible to compare other teams outside of the SEC to Arkansas. There are two other teams similar to Arkansas and they are the Miss schools.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 10:11:31 am »

Are we going to pretend we don't realize the strength of branding and what OU's brand is in college football?  Don't have to respect how they got it.  But at least recognize what it is. 

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 10:13:33 am »

Do big-time recruits come out of Oklahoma City? Not saying they dont, I just donr recall that being a recruiting hotbed. I know we have targeted Jenks some over the years.

Heat map of every signed top 15 recruit from 2000 to 2017:

Heat map of first round NFL draft picks from 2008 to 2017 (home towns):

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 10:14:04 am »

I have just never considered OU being at any kind of recruiting advantage due to their proximity like say LSU. I kind of view OU more so a product of maximizing the system they run in the Big 12. They have solidified their position and go after Texas kids with said reputation.

OU being so much closer to North Texas is a big deal, plus playing 4 conf games against Texas teams every year is a huge advantage.

I'd say teams in similar situations to AR would be NEB, Iowa and Iowa St, Mizzu, Kansas, Kansas St. And all of those teams have the same issues the Hogs have, they never seem to have any depth, and have very few playmakers. Especially when compared to the top teams in their conferences or the top teams in the country.

jkstock04

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 10:20:00 am »

It is not possible to compare other teams outside of the SEC to Arkansas. There are two other teams similar to Arkansas and they are the Miss schools.
This is a whole other part of the equation. No program has ever consistently been great in the SEC without consecutive top 10 recruiting classes.

And I believe I recall a stat a while back that no team has ever won the SEC championship without at least 1 top ten recruiting class in the prior 3 or 4 years... something like that.

With all that said, the idea of Arkansas ever becoming a "powerhouse" in the SEC is a pipe dream. Top potential is probably averaged around where Nutt and Petrino had us. And getting back to anything like that looks like a million miles away.

You don't win 6 games total two years running with a coaching change and players not buying in etc and come out smelling like roses at the snap of a finger.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 10:24:11 am »

Wait, the most awesome amazing greatest class ever is only going to end up AROUND 20th ( so could be anywhere from 23-17 )? An then he is going to top the most awesome amazing greatest class, with one that is MORE awesome, amazing, greatest; and then top that with one that is the mostest ever awesome amazing greatest?  Lots of assuming in there.

You could probably make your point without being a S.A., but then again, maybe you couldn't. As for your question, I'm not assuming which is why the entire post was preceded with the word, "If". My point was that it would take that level of consistent recruiting haul to move us into a far more competitive position that might be sustainable. Who knows if it can be done? I don't. But I wouldn't have thought that Morris could pull in a #20 class on the heels of a 2-10 season either.

Hogmatic

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 10:26:18 am »

I'm not saying a lot of them, but Burks and Henry very well could have been 5*'s and that would probably have pushed our class into the mid-teens.  That's my point.  There's really not a lot of difference in most classes between 12-20, in my opinion.

Camps are a problem for the low income kids but participation is way down from 25 years ago.  We have to find a way to get more Ark kids playing football and THEN into camps for development and exposure.   The Arkansas School Districts that were historical pipelines of talent are a fragment of what they were 25 years ago.  Little Rock Metro, Pine Bluff, Fort Smith, and more.  Some East Arkansas communities and schools are falling apart which has depleted more talent- Blytheville, Osceola, Rivercrest, West Memphis, Helena, Marianna, Forrest City, Wynne, Brinkley, Newport, Dumas, and even Stuttgart.

Arkansas is dominated by small towns and school districts.   The amount of small school districts is terribly impacting curriculum and the sports teams have terrible competition.   This is a bigger impact than anyone wants to admit.   We all talk about Hog Sports on here but academic curriculum is very important.  The small schools can't offer the classes kids need to advance their education and impacts the quality of citizens.   I repeat, Arkansas is dominated by small towns and school districts....and all that that implies.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 10:28:01 am »

I will agree it is odd that the #1 TE recruit is not a 5 star.

My point has always been it is about where do you CONSISTENTLY rank in recruiting. Arkansas has consistently been around 9-12 in the SEC in recruiting, and has consistently been around those same levels in the sec standings when looked at over a long period of time.  If your opponents are consistently getting better players they are going to be better than you. Does not mean they will win every time, but it does mean over the course of a season they will have a better record. Look no further than old misses. Hogs beat them 3 or 4 years in a row, yet at the end of the day old misses ended up with a better overall record in those seasons. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 10:31:01 am »

Camps are a problem for the low income kids but participation is way down from 25 years ago.  We have to find a way to get more Ark kids playing football and THEN into camps for development and exposure.   The Arkansas School Districts that were historical pipelines of talent are a fragment of what they were 25 years ago.  Little Rock Metro, Pine Bluff, Fort Smith, and more.  Some East Arkansas communities and schools are falling apart which has depleted more talent- Blytheville, Osceola, Rivercrest, West Memphis, Helena, Marianna, Forrest City, Wynne, Brinkley, Newport, Dumas, and even Stuttgart.

Arkansas is dominated by small towns and school districts.   The amount of small school districts is terribly impacting curriculum and the sports teams have terrible competition.   This is a bigger impact than anyone wants to admit.   We all talk about Hog Sports on here but academic curriculum is very important.  The small schools can't offer the classes kids need to advance their education and impacts the quality of citizens.   I repeat, Arkansas is dominated by small towns and school districts....and all that that implies.

Some Hog fans don't realize or try to ignore the difference in level of Arkansas high school football to the surrounding states except Missouri and other southern states.  Remarkable to drive through rural Alabama and Georgia and see the high schools and facilities.  The amount of money that has been invested in the schools + football is nowhere comparable. 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2018, 10:33:12 am »

I will agree it is odd that the #1 TE recruit is not a 5 star.

My point has always been it is about where do you CONSISTENTLY rank in recruiting. Arkansas has consistently been around 9-12 in the SEC in recruiting, and has consistently been around those same levels in the sec standings when looked at over a long period of time.  If your opponents are consistently getting better players they are going to be better than you. Does not mean they will win every time, but it does mean over the course of a season they will have a better record. Look no further than old misses. Hogs beat them 3 or 4 years in a row, yet at the end of the day old misses ended up with a better overall record in those seasons. 

Yeah, I think if we can string together several classes like we have this year we'll be in better shape than what we've seen in the past where we've lived or died with the few superstars we've had. 

Pork Twain

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 10:54:51 am »

Nebraska has not been a power in almost 2 decades and much has changed since they were.  VT has never been anything more than the most overrated program this century.  Wisconsin?  VT and Wisconsin have good programs.  Very little similarity to our situation.

OU has a 60+ year history in Texas where they've invested heavily.  Championship-NCAA probation-Championship-NCAA probation-Championship-NCAA probation...This + location + competition makes our situation not close to comparable.

Yes, you are right, it is very close

Pork Twain

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 10:55:12 am »

False

Pork Twain

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2018, 10:56:11 am »

Are we going to pretend we don't realize the strength of branding and what OU's brand is in college football?  Don't have to respect how they got it.  But at least recognize what it is. 

Wait, are you saying it did not just magically happen but it was built?  So if it can be built there, there is a possibility of it being replicated?

Pork Twain

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2018, 10:57:27 am »

One thing is for sure, any kind of thread that even hints at positivity, will bring the jackwagons out of the woodwork.

"If there is one thing I cannot abide, it is any form or positivity..." ~ Hogvilliassholes

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 10:59:24 am »

Some Hog fans don't realize or try to ignore the difference in level of Arkansas high school football to the surrounding states except Missouri and other southern states.  Remarkable to drive through rural Alabama and Georgia and see the high schools and facilities.  The amount of money that has been invested in the schools + football is nowhere comparable. 

I think the average fan does not realize it. I think the hardcore fans want to ignore it. They also want to ignore demographics, but those play a huge part in this discussion as well.

Hogmatic

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2018, 11:02:55 am »

You could probably make your point without being a S.A., but then again, maybe you couldn't. As for your question, I'm not assuming which is why the entire post was preceded with the word, "If". My point was that it would take that level of consistent recruiting haul to move us into a far more competitive position that might be sustainable. Who knows if it can be done? I don't. But I wouldn't have thought that Morris could pull in a #20 class on the heels of a 2-10 season either.

The most important issue is, "did we improve the talent of the roster compared to what CBB left us?"   No recruiting ranking can properly ascertain the improvement of talent of an individual team because talent improvement and filling talent HOLES in the position groups is more critical for teams.  Arkansas suffered from talent HOLES and over all speed and talent.  The NEW talent compared to the current talent of the last 2 years is an important consideration for improvement of this team/roster.  This recruiting class brought in some serious talent and filled some talent holes, especially for a 2-10 season.   Just think what he could do if we have a 7-5 season with obvious progress?  We need LBs in a bad way still but the 2nd signing date and grad transfers can clear that up.   Conversely, you can look at what we have done with a lot of 3 star SCHOLAR athletes mixed in with some studs during the Long/CBB era.

We have had a scattered approach to recruiting after joined the SEC and lost our connection with Texas.  CCM has major credibility and image with East Texas, Central Texas and DFW schools.  Traylor is a rock star in TX HS FB as well. CCM and Co. opened pipelines to productive High School programs in TX and then opened more doors in LA, and the SE US.   Chavis is a big door opener from Texas to South Carolina.

At this time, I'm not as worried about our Recruiting ranking against other SEC teams.  I only use national recruiting rankings to see if we are improving against NON-SEC schools, because the SEC cheats too much to worry about competing against the SEC cheaters with one arm tied behind your back.  OM getting a slap on the wrist only emboldens the other cheaters in the SEC.  I see that we are improving our talent with this class via the rankings, but it isn't that dramatic when UGA, Miss St, A&M, UT and of course OM are recently moving up to the Bama, AU, UF, LSU levels of recruiting.  We are in a conference with almost 10 teams that are recruiting at an insanely high level which has made a big jump while we were failing with CBB.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 11:07:15 am »

Wait, are you saying it did not just magically happen but it was built?  So if it can be built there, there is a possibility of it being replicated?

No.  But our program can certainly be competitive consistently with occasional great teams who have a chance for success.  Do I see a time where Arkansas can recruit off of 4 Heisman winners + an Adrian Peterson-type RB within 15 years or NC's?  No.  We can build the relationships in places like Texas.  Morris and staff is certainly capable.  Will we be able to build it and then build on it for the next 60 years like OU has to where northeast Texas may as well be a part of Arkansas?  I won't be around to know. 

HogJowler

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2018, 11:09:37 am »

I had some serious issues with some of our coaching decisions last year....but that was last year. My main concern about Morris and his offense is that SEC defenses have seen similar variations of it for a decade now. Are we late to the party with this RPO offense?

It's as simple as any offense.  If you have the weapons and an agile, accurate passer who can make the right reads it will work against anyone.  Weapons include an Oline that can protect your qb.

And then of course there is the subject of defense and being able to hold down your opponents scoring.

A simple game really.

HogJowler

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2018, 11:12:49 am »

Sounds like NW Arkansas.  How is high school football doing there?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2018, 11:15:48 am »

Sounds like NW Arkansas.  How is high school football doing there?

Yep.  The schools do great vs Arkansas competition.  The exception in Arkansas.  Where the demographics aren't suited for producing a high number of SEC level recruits. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 11:17:35 am »

Yep.  The schools do great vs Arkansas competition.  The exception in Arkansas.  Where the demographics aren't suited for producing a high number of SEC level recruits. 

They do great against regional programs, too, and have for years now.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 11:20:03 am »

They do great against regional programs, too, and have for years now.

What is a regional program?  Tulsa?  Sure they've won some games vs the Tulsa area schools.  Number and quality of recruits produced which is where this conversation is? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas