• 10,061,139 Posts
• 402,724 Topics
• 23,014 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preseason Rankings  (Read 3682 times)

gchamblee

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Preseason Rankings
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:48:50 am »

Hogwild

Re: Preseason Rankings
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 04:10:54 pm »

Damn the SEC is loaded again
1.   Louisiana St. (39-27)   496

2.   Vanderbilt (35-27)   495

6.   Florida (49-21)   487

11.   Mississippi (48-17)   476

13.   Georgia (39-21)   471

23.   Auburn (43-23)   445

25.   Arkansas (48-21)   439

27.   Mississippi St. (39-29)   434

29.   Texas A&M (40-22)   428

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:52:52 pm »

Damn the SEC is loaded again

I don’t know if I buy UGA, Ole Miss, or Auburn as being better than us

intoxhog

• It's history that teaches us to hope.~Robert E Lee
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:30:16 pm »

Seems like a low ranking to me .

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:08:48 pm »

I don’t know if I buy UGA, Ole Miss, or Auburn as being better than us

On top of this, I think that the polls will probably underweight Miss State to start the year.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:45:53 pm »

Ole Miss #11 is a joke they played UALR in their scrimmage and got out hit and loss the second of the 2 scrimmage games against them.

hogginbama

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 01:35:29 pm »

Hopefully that ranking is based on the unknowns we have on the mound this year. We lost a lot of talent with those no longer with the team. Excited to see how the young arms develop over the course of the year.

dotnet

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 05:09:01 pm »

Ole Miss #11 is a joke they played UALR in their scrimmage and got out hit and loss the second of the 2 scrimmage games against them.

I think Ole Miss is going to be really good.  I would probably predict them to be second in the west also at this point.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 05:16:10 pm »

Their pitching may be good but their hitting may not be that impressive this year and it showed against UALR in their scrimmage back in October.

ucahogfan

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 05:52:07 pm »

Their pitching may be good but their hitting may not be that impressive this year and it showed against UALR in their scrimmage back in October.
If anything, it will be the exact opposite for Ole Miss this year.  They return 7 starters from last year and 6 of them hit .300+ and 5 of them hit at least 8 HRs.  The only one who didn't hit at least 8 HRs was Ryan Olenek among players who are returning and hit .300.  Jacob Adams also returns and is a solid 2B.  They also have Cooper Johnson who is an elite defender behind home plate.  He probably won't be the hitter that Fortes is, but that production should be picked up among the returners.

They are replacing all three weekend starters.  I might have not put them at 11 with that in mind, but they have some talent.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 05:50:50 pm »

Ole Miss and Miss Stake always gives Hogs fits.   Until the Hogs pitching settles in, defense and sharp hit balls to the fences are musts

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »

If anything, it will be the exact opposite for Ole Miss this year.  They return 7 starters from last year and 6 of them hit .300+ and 5 of them hit at least 8 HRs.  The only one who didn't hit at least 8 HRs was Ryan Olenek among players who are returning and hit .300.  Jacob Adams also returns and is a solid 2B.  They also have Cooper Johnson who is an elite defender behind home plate.  He probably won't be the hitter that Fortes is, but that production should be picked up among the returners.

They are replacing all three weekend starters.  I might have not put them at 11 with that in mind, but they have some talent.
uca, how do YOU feel about us being #25? I know we lost some folks but we were 1 out from an NC. We have Martin back at
3B.   DVH had a good recruiting class, right?  Do you think we should be higher? Lower?  Is 25 about right?  What say you?

HogPharmer

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 02:59:42 pm »

Ole Miss and Miss Stake always gives Hogs fits.   Until the Hogs pitching settles in, defense and sharp hit balls to the fences are musts

We owe Miss State this year... I've got a friend that's a Miss State fan (lives in Madison, MS) and he hasn't let me forget that they swept us last year.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 05:36:33 pm »

Remind them who played in the cws finals.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 09:16:17 am »

A scrimmage? You're justification is based on a scrimmage?

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 09:18:37 am »

25 is about right for me. We have zero answers for a weekend rotation right now. In the SEC, starting arms are key.

woodhog14

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 04:14:52 pm »

You do know it's called a scrimmage for a reason right? Maybe Ole Miss played some players that don't normally play to see how they handle game like situation. Ole Miss is going to be very good this year.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 05:34:27 pm »

A scrimmage? You're justification is based on a scrimmage?
Well atleast I know you can use reading comprehension but my point is how both teams compared to playing the same team and we played a lot of freshmen and new comers as well but you make it sound like ole Miss just played only new comers and not any starters?

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 05:47:52 pm »

Right where we want to be.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:02 pm »

Right where we want to be.

Yep.  The bullseye is on lsu and fla and all the hogs have to do is win

zane

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 11:05:18 pm »

25 is about right for me. We have zero answers for a weekend rotation right now. In the SEC, starting arms are key.

Well said

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 04:52:49 pm »

This echoes what Van Horn said on the radio recently. He was talking about the guys LSU had returning and thought they would be good.
I agree that #25 for Arkansas seems low right now.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 07:48:19 am »

D1Baseball said it is releasing its preseason poll on 1/14/18. 

Wisco Pig

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 08:20:42 am »

Perfect Game has released its preseason Top 25 this morning.

Arkansas is 13th.

Here's the breakdown by conference:

SEC: 8 teams (LSU, 1st;  Vanderbilt, 3rd;
Florida, 9th;  Mississippi, 10th;
Arkansas, 13th;  Auburn, 15th;
Mississippi St., 17th; Georgia, 22nd)

ACC:  5 teams (UNC, Louisville, FSU, NC State, Clemson)
Big 12:  4 teams (Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St.)
Pac-12:  3 teams (Oregon State, UCLA, Stanford)
American Athletic:  2 teams (East Carolina, UConn)
Big Ten:  1 team (Michigan)
Big West: 1 team (UC Irvine)
Sun Belt: 1 team (Coastal Carolina)

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16007

PigWig

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:30 am »

Arkansas is 13th.

This looks way more accurate to me.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 10:21:04 am »

Arkansas is 13th.

I can say this safely here in this forum.
But this exemplifies why some of us get frustrated with the basketball program.
Have you EVER seen a year where the preseason poll comes out(or, a postseason poll) and there are 8 SEC teams in it?
And this happens every year in baseball---and football too of course. Actually, every sport except basketball. Track, gymnastics, etc. Always loaded with SEC teams.
(I know, there were 8 NCAA teams from the SEC last year. A very rare year, looking back over the past 15-20 years, though)
This is exactly why I'm always had greater expectations for basketball than any of the major sports on the Hill. The competition is not easy, but the pathway to success is less stringent.

Razrpig256

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 11:01:31 am »

This looks way more accurate to me.

Agreed, but personally, I would have MSU higher and definitely ahead of Ole Miss.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 12:22:46 pm »

I actually agree with this, I’m just not sure that OMU is better than us.

dotnet

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 02:06:35 pm »

I think A&M will finish the year better than Georgia

hog_stu

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 02:16:03 pm »

Our left handed pitching scares me.
I'm afraid it will cost us some games.
5 freshmen and Matt Cronin closing.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »

Nick Schmidt was a left-handed freshman at one point and he was dominant Friday night ace.  Let some guys get to campus and see how the handle the competition before worrying so much.

ucahogfan

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 07:42:45 pm »

How many teams have a LHP like Matt Cronin?

In 2015, we had 8.1 IP thrown by a LHP with an ERA of 8.64.  Sure, it helped having Benintendi in the lineup on a daily basis, but we even have recent history which shows we can make it to Omaha without a lot of innings from LHPs.

I believe DVH is excited about what Wicklander brings to the table so I could see him helping out this year.  Ramage also has a nasty changeup which is typically more effective against LHHs as a RHP.

bulldog04

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 08:08:45 pm »

In 2015, we had 8.1 IP thrown by a LHP with an ERA of 8.64.  Sure, it helped having Benintendi in the lineup on a daily basis, but we even have recent history which shows we can make it to Omaha without a lot of innings from LHPs.

I believe DVH is excited about what Wicklander brings to the table so I could see him helping out this year.  Ramage also has a nasty changeup which is typically more effective against LHHs as a RHP.
Wicklander will help us. He’s going to be a good one. If Scroggins can pitch to his potential we won’t need save Cronin to close games. He can come in when we need some big outs or facing the other team’s best hitter with guys on

ThisTeetsTaken

• He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 09:25:26 pm »

Yep. Too much unknown on the mound this year.  I think we are getting the benefit of the doubt from the polls.

dotnet

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 10:55:44 pm »

Yep. Too much unknown on the mound this year.  I think we are getting the benefit of the doubt from the polls.

Maybe a little benefit.. but 3-4 all americans is legit.  Not many teams have that. 

Every year... all but a few college baseball teams will have legit questions.  The more potential answers you have for those questions, the better you're likely to be. 

The offensive questions this year have quite a bit of potential answers... Nesbit, Kenley, Ezell, McFarland, Goodheart, etc.  Catcher has a couple of people too.

Pitching wise, I do think there are fewer potential answers relative to questions.  A freshman being able to make a big contribution would be pretty huge.  To say the staff needs for Campbell, Scroggins, Ramage, Kostyshock, Bolden, and Vermillion to make big contributions is an understatement.  If more than one or two of those take a step back or even plateau, then this staff will be incredibly thin. 

ucahogfan

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 07:11:35 pm »

Wicklander will help us. He’s going to be a good one. If Scroggins can pitch to his potential we won’t need save Cronin to close games. He can come in when we need some big outs or facing the other team’s best hitter with guys on
I think he will be a good one too.  He might not throw 95 like Cronin (yet), but DVH made it sound like he can be a key piece on the staff this year.

Will be interesting to see how we use Cronin.  Do we use him in an Andrew Miller type of role where he could come in when the game calls for it or in a Chapman role almost purely as a closer?  I would keep him wherever he is most comfortable.

ucahogfan

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 07:30:48 pm »

Maybe a little benefit.. but 3-4 all americans is legit.  Not many teams have that. 

Every year... all but a few college baseball teams will have legit questions.  The more potential answers you have for those questions, the better you're likely to be. 

The offensive questions this year have quite a bit of potential answers... Nesbit, Kenley, Ezell, McFarland, Goodheart, etc.  Catcher has a couple of people too.

Pitching wise, I do think there are fewer potential answers relative to questions.  A freshman being able to make a big contribution would be pretty huge.  To say the staff needs for Campbell, Scroggins, Ramage, Kostyshock, Bolden, and Vermillion to make big contributions is an understatement.  If more than one or two of those take a step back or even plateau, then this staff will be incredibly thin.
Exactly, how many teams start with a core of Kjerstad, Martin, Fletcher and Cronin?  I'm thinking we can potentially see those four guys on multiple preseason AA lists.  Sure, we only return 3 everyday starters, but who else in the country has three AAs on offense?

Pitching wise, Cronin is a stud at the back end of the pen.  Scroggins was solid down the stretch and provides us with a Colby Suggs type to pair with Cronin.  Good Campbell is a true ace in the SEC and a potential 1st / 2nd round pick IMO.  Kostyshock and Vermillion are both armed with mid 90s heaters and decent breaking stuff and could be big pieces on this staff.

Ramage was our fourth best arm out of the pen last year behind Loseke / Cronin / Reindl.  DVH has talked about how he has improved and is throwing harder this fall.  Ramage working 90-93 instead of 88-90 will be extremely effective.  Kopps was our second best bullpen arm in 2017 and is another solid option.  I also believe Angus Denton has come back this fall and contributed very well.  You also have Bolden who has shown flashes and I thought could be the next Knight.

I believe a good team needs seven go to pitchers on the weekend and ideally eight.  We have nine guys on our staff who are returning who have some experience pitching at the D-1 level.  Campbell, Cronin, Ramage and Kopps have all shown flashes of really good pitchers over extended stretches.  That isn't factoring in freshmen and it seems like we have one or two step up every year.

flippinhogmana

• Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 08:24:20 pm »

I am sure we will have a bump or two along the way - we always so when we are rated high and expectations run with that.  But sometimes we find ourselves, find our groove and the cream rises to the top.  Here's hoping for that kind of year in the end.

hogfan14

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 12:03:44 am »

Is Bolden not out for the season? Thought I saw that posted on here.

dotnet

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 09:52:55 am »

I believe a good team needs seven go to pitchers on the weekend and ideally eight.  We have nine guys on our staff who are returning who have some experience pitching at the D-1 level.  Campbell, Cronin, Ramage and Kopps have all shown flashes of really good pitchers over extended stretches.  That isn't factoring in freshmen and it seems like we have one or two step up every year.

To my "concern" - I agree with this, but I think the number is 8 unless you're able to get an 8 inning performance from a friday night guy or something, which is becoming less likely. 

To your point, there are 9 guys returning.  Only one of those has zero questions.  Meaning, if Cronin performs exactly like he did last year... we would all be happy.  If everyone else did without improving, then we would have some issues.  There just isn't much margin for error if people start to get hurt, under perform, or even plateau.

hog_stu

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 10:02:05 am »

Certainly not worried about Matt Cronin. Poor wording on my part.
Really just pointing out one of the reasons that preseason rankings are as low as they are.
I'm excited to see the new guys, but DVH will have throw some freshmen into fire looking for who can stand the heat. No big deal, but the search will most likely cost a game or two.

PorkRyan

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 10:19:50 am »

Is Bolden not out for the season? Thought I saw that posted on here.

Yeah, he had TJ surgery

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2019, 08:32:12 am »

Also had the one pitcher that transferred.  So there are 2 of the ones  with experience gone. 

ucahogfan

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 12:41:02 pm »

Also had the one pitcher that transferred.  So there are 2 of the ones  with experience gone.
Which pitcher mentioned in my post transferred?  That would be news to me.

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 12:10:45 am »

Not one in your post. Just that one transferred so we will be one less pitcher with any experience. Still probably be ok though.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 07:08:23 am »

Wisco Pig

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:43 am »

The D1 Baseball rankings include eight SEC teams in the Top 25.   Vanderbilt is #1, LSU is #2, Florida's at #6, Georgia's #9, Ole Miss is 10th, Mississippi St. is 14th, the Hogs are #16, as Bruinstyle said, and Auburn is #22.

ucahogfan

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30:03 pm »

Not one in your post. Just that one transferred so we will be one less pitcher with any experience. Still probably be ok though.
We had Bonnin and Rutledge transfer out.  While both were extremely talented, neither was a key piece last year though they could have been this year.

Also, still not sure how Bonnin is immediately eligible at Texas Tech.

ucahogfan

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 08:31:10 pm »

https://d1baseball.com/rankings/2019-d1baseball-preseason-top-25/

16. Arkansas
Figure we will be right around 15 in most of the polls.  We have absolute star power on this team, but several questions left unanswered.  Have the talent to potentially host a regional for a third straight year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas