• 10,106,878 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preseason Rankings  (Read 5112 times)

bosshog84

Re: Preseason Rankings
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2019, 02:47:15 pm »

Why are teams like Auburn and Georgia ranked ahead of us? We lost a lot off of last year's team, but we are returning arguably the 2 best freshmen in college baseball plus Fletcher, Campbell, Cronin, and a few others. I don't follow other teams as much and don't know who they are returning or their recruiting classes.

Superhog1959

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2019, 03:31:21 pm »

Why are teams like Auburn and Georgia ranked ahead of us? We lost a lot off of last year's team, but we are returning arguably the 2 best freshmen in college baseball plus Fletcher, Campbell, Cronin, and a few others. I don't follow other teams as much and don't know who they are returning or their recruiting classes.
To me, the preseason polls are hogwash. For that much, all polls are hogwash. It is total speculation based on bias and often uneducated opinions'. Standings are what matters. As of now, everyone is undefeated. They do use polls to get (their teams) seedings. Polls are outdated and should be banned or something placed that relies on facts.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

dotnet

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2019, 09:08:40 pm »

Auburn returns tanner burns who will, in my opinion, be the best pitcher in college baseball this year. They also have some other guys who can play.

I think most of you are over estimating the difference between numbers 8 or tenish and numbers 26 or 27. There are flaws and reason to expect each of those teams to be really good.

My guess is if you made a strong case why Arkansas would be better than auburn next year, Michael Lanna would look at you and say... “sounds good”.

ucahogfan

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2019, 06:04:53 pm »

Auburn returns tanner burns who will, in my opinion, be the best pitcher in college baseball this year. They also have some other guys who can play.

I think most of you are over estimating the difference between numbers 8 or tenish and numbers 26 or 27. There are flaws and reason to expect each of those teams to be really good.

My guess is if you made a strong case why Arkansas would be better than auburn next year, Michael Lanna would look at you and say... “sounds good”.
Yeah, Tanner Burns is a potential elite starting pitcher at the collegiate level.  They also have Will Holland who is a potential 1st round pick at SS and have a couple of solid sophomores offensively.

hog_stu

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2019, 12:16:26 pm »

The first Massey Composite Rankings are out.
Computer based polls are meaningless at this time, but at least you can see the human polls side by side.

This Year https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm

Last Year Final https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/arch/compare2018-16.htm

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 05:54:02 pm »

The first Massey Composite Rankings are out.
Computer based polls are meaningless at this time, but at least you can see the human polls side by side.

This Year https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm

Last Year Final https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/arch/compare2018-16.htm

Thanks.
I have added this to the "2019 BASEBALL POLLS" thread.

Pig Mania

• Varsity
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 06:35:00 pm »

I don't think our weekend pitching is as stout as some of you are thinking. Hopefully Campbell has come along since last year but if you are going from the consistency of Knight on Friday to Campbell it should make you a little concerned.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 07:07:22 pm »

I don't think our weekend pitching is as stout as some of you are thinking. Hopefully Campbell has come along since last year but if you are going from the consistency of Knight on Friday to Campbell it should make you a little concerned.

I agree, pitching is the one reason I don’t expect a great year. We really need a couple of guys to step up big.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 12:05:34 pm »

Yes.
This is huge.
The excellence and complete consistency of Blaine Knight can not be overestimated. To have a guy like that that you know will always get your weekend series off to a good start is invaluable. Knight gave them a great chance to win Game 1, and then you already know you're not getting swept. You're putting house money in the bank.
Then they took their chances with the outing Campbell was going to deliver in Game 2.
Game 3 on Sunday is a crapshoot for a lot of teams and often is a slugfest, win any way you can.

The bedrock foundation of Knight is a huge loss.

jacketsting

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:57 pm »

May not be stout but it will still be able to win games.  I am curious to see how opposing team pitchers will be able to deal with the speed of our base running and our ability to steel bases since we don't have the power hitting we experienced last season.

Drewhog

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2019, 03:20:43 pm »

Hogs picked 3rd in the SEC West after LSU and Ole Miss by the SEC coaches.

http://www.secsports.com/article/25945736/vanderbilt-picked-win-2019-sec-baseball-championship

Also have four players on the preseason all SEC 1st team: Cronin, Fletcher, Kjerstad, and Martin.  This is the most on the 1st team of any other SEC team.

ucahogfan

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2019, 08:59:01 pm »

Hogs picked 3rd in the SEC West after LSU and Ole Miss by the SEC coaches.

http://www.secsports.com/article/25945736/vanderbilt-picked-win-2019-sec-baseball-championship

Also have four players on the preseason all SEC 1st team: Cronin, Fletcher, Kjerstad, and Martin.  This is the most on the 1st team of any other SEC team.
This truly illustrates the star power on this team.  Very few teams in the country have the stars to build around that we do.

There are obviously a ton of questions about this team, but if you think about it, our top returners are Campbell, Cronin, Kjerstad, Martin and Fletcher.  All five of those guys are easy top 5 round pick material and all have a chance to be first round picks.  Who else in the country returns that?

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 10:47:01 am »

Does Campbell's performance intersect with his potential consistently unlike it has to this point? What about the rest of the starters? feel pretty confident in the back end of the staff, and think we have the fielding and offense to be at the top, but if you can't get 2-3 games a week of solid starting pitching it could be a long season.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 12:32:15 pm »

I’m hoping a less experienced starting trio can be offset by a very experienced bullpen. We might not have a Knight eating innings consistently this year, but our bullpen depth and options from the right and left side have the potential to be excellent.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas