• 10,059,710 Posts
• 402,692 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who will be the Hog QB next year  (Read 12256 times)

Wildhog

Re: Who will be the Hog QB next year
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2019, 01:42:16 pm »

With both Cole Kelley and Ty Storey leaving the program, it is definitely Jefferson's job.  Let's hope he's one helluva great freshman QB. Hyatt will be the backup.

We'll bring in a grad transfer.

dmaxfan

• Varsity
  • "We got that wood rot her"
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2019, 06:59:50 pm »

Doesn't matter who it is, if the oline doesn't get fixed, Michael Vick wouldn't be able to do anything. You have to have more than 2 seconds to throw the ball.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

lakecityhog

« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2019, 10:23:05 am »

Hicks from SMU has got to be the odds on favorite.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2019, 10:51:58 am »

I'm betting Hicks will be our QB.

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2019, 11:18:59 am »

Answer is a lot easier now..

lakecityhog

« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:13 am »

Seems like I read somewhere that Hicks would not be available until June, is that correct?
Morris said early on that a summer transfer was not a problem, kinda looks like Hicks was his realistic plan all along.

LZH

« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2019, 11:22:55 am »

flat earther???

Hey, it doesn't get more flat than the cotton and rice fields of SE Arkansas....or, also, ya know, the beach.  Which, by the way, no, I ain't about to swim way out there and fall off the damn planet!

woodhog14

« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2019, 11:41:24 am »

Seems like I read somewhere that Hicks would not be available until June, is that correct?
Morris said early on that a summer transfer was not a problem, kinda looks like Hicks was his realistic plan all along.
No, he's eligible immediately. He has to make a choice between us and Louisville by Friday.

Hogmatic

« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2019, 12:15:29 pm »

I'm betting Hicks will be our QB.

He KNOWS this EXACT offense so that opens up more of the play book.  He has the arm to open up more of the play book.   We need 1 year to groom KJ and Connor and expose them to more of the playbook.

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2019, 01:01:36 pm »

Hicks will be qb in spring ball, at the very least.  His experience in this exact offense and 3 yrs with these coaches will increase the education for everyone else.  Having so many new faces on the spring roster counting redshirt from last year will be much easier with a qb with 3 yrs experience

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2019, 01:24:02 pm »

With both Cole Kelley and Ty Storey leaving the program, it is definitely Jefferson's job.  Let's hope he's one helluva great freshman QB. Hyatt will be the backup.

Where is storey going? Also, what makes you think Jefferson would win the job over Noland since he won’t be here until May?

PigPusher

• Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2019, 04:28:58 pm »

Hicks can be the calming influence, with his experience, while the others get their collective feet on the ground. Additionally, Hicks can be the other "coach" on the field privately guiding the underlings as to the proper execution of Coach Morris's offense. Once, Hicks is said and done the real chapter on the true era of Coach Morris can begin with quarterbacks humming and ready to go.

However, get that darn offensive line fixed!!!! The center should never center the ball with the quarterback having to be in a dead run. 

LZH

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2019, 04:37:26 pm »

Who is our best guy?  Hicks or the Texas grad transfer?

Hurts is going to OU.

hogmolar

• Senior
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2019, 04:46:32 pm »

Who is our best guy?  Hicks or the Texas grad transfer?

Hurts is going to OU.
There is not currently a Texas grad transfer. There have been rumors that one might transfer but will not decide until summer.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2019, 04:52:35 pm »

Hey, it doesn't get more flat than the cotton and rice fields of SE Arkansas....or, also, ya know, the beach.  Which, by the way, no, I ain't about to swim way out there and fall off the damn planet!

My point about the "Flat Earthers" was that IMO it is as silly to say that a guy with over 9,000 passing yards in a career at the FBS level is no better than the QBs we had last season as someone still insisting the Earth is flat..

No one has read anything I've said that suggested that Hurts or a better option at QB than Hicks was/is coming here.

I have said I don't think Hurts or the other "better options" than Hicks are coming here, thus we need to take him because he is clearly better than what we had/have on our roster.

Watch the guy's tape and tell me he doesn't make decisions quicker and get the ball out quicker and run this offense better than what we saw in 2018..

I realize it is a highlight tape and they aren't going to include the INTs or bad plays but compare that tape to the "highlights" of the QBs on our roster this past season.

This guy knows this offense way better, has no history of injury, knows the staff and they know him. Those things alone make him a better option for us than someone still trying to grasp this offense with little playing experience in this or any offense.

And they sure make him a better option than someone who we might want more but won't even visit the campus..

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2019, 04:57:56 pm »

I am waiting till after Spring!

Sivad

« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2019, 05:34:09 pm »

SMU Hicks per the SMU Mafia.

texas tush hog

« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2019, 05:37:12 pm »

Where is storey going? Also, what makes you think Jefferson would win the job over Noland since he won’t be here until May?

Don't forget John Stephen Jones. A spring under his belt could work wonders.

texas tush hog

« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2019, 05:39:36 pm »

SMU Hicks per the SMU Mafia.

I think that is a foregone conclusion. None of us get a say and Craddock and Morris know what this kid can do.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:54 pm »

Watch the guy's tape and tell me he doesn't make decisions quicker and get the ball out quicker and run this offense better than what we saw in 2018..

This guy knows this offense way better, has no history of injury, knows the staff and they know him. Those things alone make him a better option for us than someone still trying to grasp this offense with little playing experience in this or any offense.

Seriously go watch full games from 2017. Hicks is nothing like what is portrayed by most on this board. Is he going to be All SEC?

No, but he will make us better and help build for the future.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2019, 06:06:22 pm »

Seriously go watch full games from 2017. Hicks is nothing like what is portrayed by most on this board. Is he going to be All SEC?

No, but he will make us better and help build for the future.
That’d be good enough for me. I’m hoping to see our young receivers rise quickly.

isavedjazz

« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2019, 06:40:26 pm »

Hicks

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2019, 01:15:37 pm »

Ben Hicks.

Youngsta71701

« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2019, 02:05:44 pm »

It's official.

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:20 pm »

From what I’m hearing the situation is no longer fluid

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #225 on: January 14, 2019, 02:48:31 pm »

From what I’m hearing the situation is no longer fluid

Correct. Situation is currently more of a plasma at the moment.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2019, 03:50:54 pm »

Uncle Rico, I hear he can throw the deep ball real good.

Haters gonna hate

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2019, 05:37:36 pm »

Ben Hicks

Tommy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2019, 06:38:53 pm »

Still don’t know

PigPusher

« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:31 am »

Another interesting skill that Hicks has is the old look off. In watching some of the highlight material on Hicks you see him look downfield to the right or left with the ball parked idling at his shoulder. Then quickly you see him snap his head away to the right or left and propel the husky downfield to a receiver streaking down the sideline.  All this in a very smooth motion. Good stuff to watch.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2019, 01:42:01 am »

Another interesting skill that Hicks has is the old look off. In watching some of the highlight material on Hicks you see him look downfield to the right or left with the ball parked idling at his shoulder. Then quickly you see him snap his head away to the right or left and propel the husky downfield to a receiver streaking down the sideline.  All this in a very smooth motion. Good stuff to watch.

I saw that on his highlights too, but according to some of their fans, it was all due to "NFL WRs." He still had 2500+ yards and 19 TDs this year in spite of being benched for Dykes' guy for 2-3 games without the "NFL WRs." Some people..

They act like James Proche is Jerry Rice and Hicks just threw the ball up for grabs on every completion. Stepp and Morris can develop WRs but Hicks throws a good deep ball.

Courtland Sutton was a 3 star safety out of HS, Proche was a 3 and Quinn had 22 catches in 2 years at LSU before he transferred and caught over 100 there. Those guys were not that highly recruited so here's hoping Mike Woods can jump from year 1 to 2 in college like those guys.

I'm hoping to see Jordan Jones make a jump also with Hicks throwing to him. He had 401 yards in 2017 with a QB who could go deep, 191 last season with one who couldn't. He was hardly involved at all but he can really go get the deep ball as he showed in 2017 with AA.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2019, 05:31:19 am »

Yup.  Unless Noland or KJ really jump out and show some major capability to run the offense, its going to go to Ty simply because with protection he can be serviceable right now.   Now if a QB transferred into Arkansas who actually knew the Morris offense...all bets are off.

Don't think this will happen, but i'd love to see Hicks riding the pine in the first game because KJ beat him out...

Youngsta71701

« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2019, 07:23:39 am »

I saw that on his highlights too, but according to some of their fans, it was all due to "NFL WRs." He still had 2500+ yards and 19 TDs this year in spite of being benched for Dykes' guy for 2-3 games without the "NFL WRs." Some people..

They act like James Proche is Jerry Rice and Hicks just threw the ball up for grabs on every completion. Stepp and Morris can develop WRs but Hicks throws a good deep ball.

Courtland Sutton was a 3 star safety out of HS, Proche was a 3 and Quinn had 22 catches in 2 years at LSU before he transferred and caught over 100 there. Those guys were not that highly recruited so here's hoping Mike Woods can jump from year 1 to 2 in college like those guys.

I'm hoping to see Jordan Jones make a jump also with Hicks throwing to him. He had 401 yards in 2017 with a QB who could go deep, 191 last season with one who couldn't. He was hardly involved at all but he can really go get the deep ball as he showed in 2017 with AA.
I agree with every thing you said except for one thing. Trey Quinn was highly recruited coming out of high school. Good points though.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2019, 09:27:32 am »

Hicks- midway through the ole miss game.
Noland and Hicks platoon until Auburn.
Noland vs. Bama...then
Hicks   
KJ vs. Mstate and Mizzou.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:44:16 am by code red »

code red

« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2019, 09:31:39 am »

Not being a Debbie downer but....here I go.  Hicks is throwing against AAC athletes that have no alternative but to play shell covers.  Hicks career completion % is 56.  Folks...he is simply a bandaid.  I think Storey was at 56 vs. SEC defenses big difference.  Yes.  I am skeptical.  No I am not a Hicks hater.  He was the best thing that has happened to Arkansas since the early signing period.  He will only make us better.....if we can keep him upright.

code red

« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2019, 09:33:46 am »

Don't think this will happen, but i'd love to see Hicks riding the pine in the first game because KJ beat him out...
The knock on that will be playbook knowledge.  Our Qs all struggled with that early.  I don't see how KJ can be ready to face Ole Miss week 2.....with only Summer camp under his belt.  I would feel much better if he was enrolled.

isavedjazz

« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:51 am »

Not being a Debbie downer but....here I go.  Hicks is throwing against AAC athletes that have no alternative but to play shell covers.  Hicks career completion % is 56.  Folks...he is simply a bandaid.  I think Storey was at 56 vs. SEC defenses big difference.  Yes.  I am skeptical.  No I am not a Hicks hater.  He was the best thing that has happened to Arkansas since the early signing period.  He will only make us better.....if we can keep him upright.

People keep saying HiCks WaS ThRoWiNg aGaInSt AaC. Hate to break it to you but that is irrelevant. Ty frequently missed wide open receivers due to lack of arm strength, timing, and accuracy—hell even our beat writers noted that Cole and Ty struggled hitting receivers in PRACTICE.

And that my friend makes the whole AAC vs SEC argument a moot point. Ben has an arm. Ty didnt.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2019, 10:21:11 am »

People keep saying HiCks WaS ThRoWiNg aGaInSt AaC. Hate to break it to you but that is irrelevant. Ty frequently missed wide open receivers due to lack of arm strength, timing, and accuracy—hell even our beat writers noted that Cole and Ty struggled hitting receivers in PRACTICE.

And that my friend makes the whole AAC vs SEC argument a moot point. Ben has an arm. Ty didnt.

I agree that argument is pretty dumb.

Not much different than saying that a QB from a G5 or FCS school can't do well in the NFL since "they weren't throwing against the best defenses in college football."

PigPusher

« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2019, 04:42:39 pm »

Pardon but his skill at the look-off is not due solely to the coverage. It is to disguise where he is going to throw the ball. A quarterback that can do this effectively will tell you that he can see (sense) where both receivers are. The other thing is his completion percentage. More things than his throw accuracy at play here. Is the line blocking effectively? Can the receiver catch the darn ball? And, yes the receivers are of a lower talent without question. I believe our new quarterback is more accurate than his record would indicate. He throws a nice ball and nearly never is he off balance nor does he have happy feet. Smart thing bringing him in to be the other "coach" in practice and during the games. Nice get on the coaches part as it is going to be a big help in getting our team turned around. 

hogfansince79

« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2019, 05:25:14 pm »

Bo seems to think (in his opinion) that if KB would have came here there would have been an 85% chance he would have been the starter, and with Hicks, his chance to be the starting QB is 50-60%. 

I think (in my opinion), he is smoking some of that left handed stuff.   ROFLMAO

Starts at 1:25 for about 4 mins...

Here are some QB's CMP% from 2017...

Nat'l
Rk

43   Jake Fromm  62.2

44   Jake Bentley  62.2

56   Jalen Hurts  60.6

68   Lamar Jackson  59.1

74   Ben Hicks  58.5

81   Drew Lock  57.8

84   Sam Ehlinger  57.5

86   Gardner Minshew  57.2