• 10,057,024 Posts
• 402,612 Topics
• 23,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Who will be the Hog QB next year  (Read 12076 times)

Superhog1959

Re: Who will be the Hog QB next year
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »

Chupa is an AWESOME qb. He is more than capable of running the show. His problem is overcoming all the haters because of who he is.
I have seen some of his HS film. He is a fighter and I like him. But I would have injury concerns for him. If he shows he can do the job, I would be a big fan.

Superhog1959

« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2018, 03:07:36 pm »

my thoughts as well. 

Besides, over the past however many years, everyone swears an incoming freshman is the savior and the current QB at the time is horrible.

Amazing that we have had any QBs get signed to NFL teams since they have all sucked.

/s
I know right! If you got 280+ lb. monsters chasing you before you even get the ball, its hard to do anything, except try to live.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

31to6

« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2018, 03:10:09 pm »

That is a great plan...considering this we will not need a center and thus all our problems willl be solved.
Everyone complained about Craddock so they are bringing in Bielema as a consultant to install the barge.

Direct snap from a walkon FB to a walkon FB who has the option to keep it or toss it to a walkon FB on a jumbo-jet sweep.

Sourpuss

« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2018, 02:26:58 am »

Guys, I have NEVER said that Storey will even approach ALL-SEC honors, but I also do not believe that replacing Storey will automatically make us a better football team. I do happen to believe that we could see the same type of jump with Storey that we often see with 2nd year players. That year of experience helps things to "slow down" a bit.

I think he will be better with his reads, I think his accuracy will improve and I think that his ability to run the game will get better. I honestly believe that Storey or Kelley would have been 25 to 30% better if our coach had settled on a starter by the 2nd week of spring practice. The simple point of not looking back would have helped them to focus on getting better. Getting the lions share of the reps would have made them better. Making most of the throws to the receivers would have helped them to better know what to expect come game time.

Our coaches failing to make a simple cut and dried decision on the starting QB probably cost us at least 2 wins and maybe more. There is no substitute for reps when it comes to developing that chemistry between QB and Receiver.
I will go on record that if we go through that same routine with Storey and Noland or Storey, Noland and Jones or Storey, Noland and a transfer that we will experience many of the very same problems. Morris has to name a starter and name him quickly.
Storey's game changed when he was concussed against Ole Miss.  That hit changed him.  If he regains that form, he'll be fine.  Put 10 players around him that buy in to the system and don't quit and you'll get much better results.

liljo

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2018, 09:44:08 am »

I say no unless the starter (whoever that is) gets hurt and even then maybe no.
I keep coming back to this thread to see if Ty has announced his transfer yet.

He might as well, right?

texas tush hog

« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2018, 11:17:25 am »

Ty Storey should be a graduated football player and entering into the NFL draft. To my eyes he has not demonstrated he has the ability to perform even at an acceptable level in the SEC. If a QB has to have perfect protection there may be several with the ability to get the job done. Some may even be playing flag football on campus.

Chupa is an AWESOME qb. He is more than capable of running the show. His problem is overcoming all the haters because of who he is.

Who is this Chupa of whom you speak, did you make him up?

plumbhog

« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2018, 11:53:42 am »

I keep coming back to this thread to see if Ty has announced his transfer yet.

He might as well, right?
Yeah me too, but just between me and you (I think he's wrong)

The Hawgman

« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2018, 05:16:56 pm »

Iíd prefer Noland to start over Storey

No doubt
Storey great Hog but poor QB
Cannot throw the long ball.

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2018, 06:32:32 pm »

Im thinking it's going to be Storey. 

checkraiser88

« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2018, 07:02:18 pm »

Im thinking it's going to be Storey.

Pretty sure he might transfer once we bring in a new QB

Superhog1959

« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2018, 07:42:04 pm »

Pretty sure he might transfer once we bring in a new QB
It could happen, depends on who or if there is a transfer. If not, I think Ty is the guy. I don't see KJ  out of 3A coming into the SEC west and starting. Conner should play baseball, he has one of the best if not the best coaches and programs to play for.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2018, 08:24:57 pm »

This mightíve already been a part of the discussion, but I donít want to read the 160+ posts to find out.

But since the CCM playbook is pretty intricate, wouldnít a guy like Storey whoís had a year to understand the system be better than a more talented guy who is learning it for the first time? Or was Storey just limiting the play calls himself with his lack of arm strength?

31to6

« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2018, 10:13:57 pm »

This mightíve already been a part of the discussion, but I donít want to read the 160+ posts to find out.

But since the CCM playbook is pretty intricate, wouldnít a guy like Storey whoís had a year to understand the system be better than a more talented guy who is learning it for the first time? Or was Storey just limiting the play calls himself with his lack of arm strength?
There were many factors limiting the play calls. Porous OL. Injury-riddled backfield. Inconsistent WR corp. And of course Ty's own limitations and, not insignificantly, the punishment he took.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2018, 06:56:49 am »

Ty still hangin' with the team so far? ???

Shoat

• Varsity
« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2018, 06:46:02 pm »

Hopefully someone whose not yet on campus!

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2018, 06:57:08 pm »

I guess it'll be Storey. He will have better protection from a more talented line, and his receiving corps will be improved. But I won't be surprised if he is replaced if he faulters. Jefferson is the future.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2019, 02:50:22 pm »

Bump.

Ty! You still there, buddy? Good luck to ya. Don't go to thinkin' everyone hates you. There are at least 3-4 of us that still think you can do it.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2019, 03:22:15 pm »

Geeze people. Other than Bryant what QB that has declared his intentions to transfer has committed to another school?

As Otis said "If this staff doesn't sign an older QB it won't be for a lack of trying."

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2019, 07:01:02 pm »

I think they'll get a grad transfer, but I just think it's going to be low quality compared to Ty.  Ty was actually pretty good at times, peaking at Ole Miss.  I think if he had some talent around him, he'd actually be pretty good. 

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2019, 07:11:05 pm »

Morris and Co will bring in a grad trans QB, KJ will play significant minutes in 4 games and RS.

Very well could be right.

And if he stinks it up? What grad transfer?

Then it probably doesn't matter.

Hawgphat

« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2019, 07:22:06 pm »

One Man's Opinion:

Personally, I see no real point in bringing in a grad QB transfer unless he is SIGNIFICANTLY - - - I say again, SIGNIFICANTLY - - - superior in his proven skill set to any QB we now have on hand and/or will have on hand by next season.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2019, 07:37:30 pm »

One Man's Opinion:

Personally, I see no real point in bringing in a grad QB transfer unless he is SIGNIFICANTLY - - - I say again, SIGNIFICANTLY - - - superior in his proven skill set to any QB we now have on hand and/or will have on hand by next season.

I think that is the point, the coaches don't believe anyone on the roster can win more games than last year so they are out looking for a solution...now.

The idea is to bring in an older QB that will be an upgrade at the position. Think Joe Burrow who didn't exactly set the SEC on fire and only completed 57% of his passes but he made LSU better and helped develop their younger QB's

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2019, 08:06:17 pm »

One Man's Opinion:

Would that be difficult?

Too many of you are assuming that Jefferson will hit the ground running at Arkansas. Maybe, if he went through spring ball, but that's not happening. The problem with Jefferson is he's been competing with teams in Mississippi on a level with Charleston. That doesn't mean it can't transition quickly to the SEC do it but it doesn't seem likely.

This is not hard to understand but for some of you it apparently is. IF CHAD MORRIS THOUGHT HE HAD A QB ON CAMPUS OR ONE ALREADY SIGNED THAT COULD SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE THIS TEAM AT THAT POSITION NEXT SEASON HE WOULD NOT BE OPENLY LOOKING FOR A GRAD TRANSFER QB.

The man has made no attempt to disguise what he's doing. He admitted it at a press conference.   

Hawgphat

« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2019, 09:08:54 pm »

I have no desire to argue the merits of importing a grad QB for a single season.  Admittedly, I'm no football sage.  I simply would not credit the notion of bringing in one who perhaps has graded out at a 2% higher proficiency rate, - - with maybe 3 more pass completions or 13 yards more in rushing yardage accumulation over those QBs we have on hand.

If there is a TRULY SUPERBLY-GIFTED grad transfer available to us, then - - BY ALL MEANS, - - - latch onto him and bring him to Fayetteville.

presidenthog

« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2019, 09:39:55 pm »

I have no desire to argue the merits of importing a grad QB for a single season.  Admittedly, I'm no football sage.  I simply would not credit the notion of bringing in one who perhaps has graded out at a 2% higher proficiency rate, - - with maybe 3 more pass completions or 13 yards more in rushing yardage accumulation over those QBs we have on hand.

If there is a TRULY SUPERBLY-GIFTED grad transfer available to us, then - - BY ALL MEANS, - - - latch onto him and bring him to Fayetteville.

I woukd much rather take 2 LBs over a grad transfer qb who is only mildly better than what we have.

texas tush hog

« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2019, 12:37:48 pm »

Bump.

Ty! You still there, buddy? Good luck to ya. Don't go to thinkin' everyone hates you. There are at least 3-4 of us that still think you can do it.

Delusional.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2019, 12:58:46 pm »

Would that be difficult?

Too many of you are assuming that Jefferson will hit the ground running at Arkansas. Maybe, if he went through spring ball, but that's not happening. The problem with Jefferson is he's been competing with teams in Mississippi on a level with Charleston. That doesn't mean it can't transition quickly to the SEC do it but it doesn't seem likely.

This is not hard to understand but for some of you it apparently is. IF CHAD MORRIS THOUGHT HE HAD A QB ON CAMPUS OR ONE ALREADY SIGNED THAT COULD SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE THIS TEAM AT THAT POSITION NEXT SEASON HE WOULD NOT BE OPENLY LOOKING FOR A GRAD TRANSFER QB.

The man has made no attempt to disguise what he's doing. He admitted it at a press conference.
Boom! Don't hurt their feeble brains like that Mike!

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2019, 01:30:43 pm »

Not Ty Storey

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2019, 09:24:50 pm »

Boom! Don't hurt their feeble brains like that Mike!
I think you might want to re-think whose got the feeble brains. Iíve said, from my earliest posts if you knew how to read, that I full well realize the coaches are doing all they can to upgrade every position, most especially the QB. 

Iím also saying that whoever it is they bring in still has to win the job.  Then they have to stay healthy through a brutal schedule. Iím saying Ty Story has an excellent chance of starting some games for the U of A in 2019.

Iím not arguing with Mike or anybody else. Itís just that many of you seem completely unable to read with comprehension.

Ty Storey could still prove to be a valuable asset to this team. An experienced, tough backup QB has saved many a season. Many of you seem to think the team would be better if he just transferred out or quit. Maybe he actually loves the game, and without question there wonít be football after college. 

Somebody said Iím delusional. Please explain what part of my thinking here is delusional.  ???

texas tush hog

« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2019, 09:39:24 pm »

I think you might want to re-think whose got the feeble brains. Iíve said, from my earliest posts if you knew how to read, that I full well realize the coaches are doing all they can to upgrade every position, most especially the QB. 

Iím also saying that whoever it is they bring in still has to win the job.  Then they have to stay healthy through a brutal schedule. Iím saying Ty Story has an excellent chance of starting some games for the U of A in 2019.

Iím not arguing with Mike or anybody else. Itís just that many of you seem completely unable to read with comprehension.

Ty Storey could still prove to be a valuable asset to this team. An experienced, tough backup QB has saved many a season. Many of you seem to think the team would be better if he just transferred out or quit. Maybe he actually loves the game, and without question there wonít be football after college. 

Somebody said Iím delusional. Please explain what part of my thinking here is delusional.  ???

If I have to explain it to you. You wouldn't understand.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2019, 09:52:26 pm »

Lol, if you had to explain anything, youíd first have to understand it yourself! ;D

That would take some time, manóand some study.

Tick Hog

« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2019, 12:46:31 am »

Would that be difficult?

Iím glad someone said it. I hope KJ ends up the being the next D Watson but I doubt itís next year. From his film he looks like a really good athlete with work to do with his throwing mechanics. Iíd venture to say that in a given year you probably have about 10-15 QBís nation wide that can be the focal point of an offense,  put a team on their back, and win at a high level in a P5 conference. At present time we donít have one. As for next year, I think we will in fact bring in a Grad Transfer but he will have to beat out our starting QB on the roster.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:44 am »

Iím glad someone said it. I hope KJ ends up the being the next D Watson but I doubt itís next year. From his film he looks like a really good athlete with work to do with his throwing mechanics. Iíd venture to say that in a given year you probably have about 10-15 QBís nation wide that can be the focal point of an offense,  put a team on their back, and win at a high level in a P5 conference. At present time we donít have one. As for next year, I think we will in fact bring in a Grad Transfer but he will have to beat out our starting QB on the roster.
Sentence by sentence response:
Yep, I suppose it need to be said. Yep, I hope KJ is absolutely phenomenal, but think it will take a year or so. Yep, he definitely looks the part of a great athlete. Yep, your count on the number of QBs nation wide seems about right. No, we don't have one. As for next year, yes, it appears the staff is working overtime to bring in a Grad Transfer, and yes he will indeed have to beat out our starting QB on the roster.

Total agreement.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2019, 09:50:15 am »

I am not sure why you think I was talking to or about you, it sure seems you think I was. Ty Storey may be the answer to some question, but it ain't who should be next years QB. Noland could be, but it remains to be seen, he showed some flashes of being able to read the defense and push the ball down the field past the line of scrimmage. If Hicks is the best we can do then I would say give it to Noland, and work in KJ as they did Noland this year.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2019, 09:50:37 am »

Would that be difficult?

because it is an arkansas kid that is getting replaced. if ty was from anywhere else, there would not be this stubborn outcry.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2019, 10:15:32 am »

because it is an arkansas kid that is getting replaced. if ty was from anywhere else, there would not be this stubborn outcry.
Bingo and a certain other QB wouldn't have been boo'ed at the 2nd home game of the season.

rzrbackhogfan

• Band Nerd
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2019, 01:24:39 pm »

The new innovative offense for 19 will not have a qb.
It will revolutionize college football.

This is because we don't have a qb
No QB.  Our defense will score all our points.  We will punt on first down.

Sourpuss

« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2019, 01:56:31 pm »

Ty still hangin' with the team so far? ???
I don't know the answer to that but I can tell you he is still throwing and was wearing hog gear when he did so.  Looked pretty good infact.

Hawgphat

« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2019, 04:43:40 pm »

I don't even have a legitimate guess as to the most logical or most likely answer to the question posed by this thread title.

I surely do wonder who our #1 QB will prove to be; - - but I have no clue as to even how the winnowing process will play out.

RedRock

« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2019, 09:12:47 pm »

lakecityhog

« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2019, 07:11:21 pm »

Mike, Do you agree with this strategy? I know it is an if and early on I thought a BIG IF, Noland also sees the writing on the wall and decides to focus purely on baseball? Or, maybe Morris has suggested to him that the job is his to lose???
Noland would leave the team with a grad transfer coming in during the early part of summer, Hyatt(from the snap divisions 5th string), Jones, Jefferson and Lindsey.

I honestly thought that Storey would stay, but this action makes me think that he was maybe handed his hat. At least your post leads me to think that.

I agree with you 100%, the likely-hood of Jefferson coming in and starting is VERY slim. I have heard all of the "man among boys" rhetoric, but weren't most 4 and 5* kids men among boys in high school? In college MOST of the team were "men" in high school.

Expecting a player having no familiarity with the Morris playbook to come in in June and pick up enough to lead the team is a bit unrealistic too. Based on that I will not be at all surprised to see Hicks come in as our GT.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2019, 08:10:19 pm »

Would that be difficult?

That is what makes the Flat Earthers look even more foolish, insisting that Storey was going to turn from Clark Kent to Superman and win the starting job, making a huge jump from year 1 to year 2 as a starter..

The Head Coach clearly said he was looking to bring in a grad transfer QB, yet we had people on here saying otherwise or 2nd guessing and saying bring in another LB or other position..

If the QB position does not drastically improve over 2018, we will see similar results even if we were able to sweep the non-cons. If the HC doesn't think the current QBs or KJ can do that, he apparently doesn't, then it would be idiotic to just stand pat.

lakecityhog

« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2019, 08:40:49 pm »

flat earther??? And WE look foolish!!!

I don't remember anyone saying that Storey or Noland for that matter, would be All-SEC caliber in 2019. Some of us do feel that Storey and Noland COULD make a pretty good jump.

I would come more near calling those that actually think that we had a chance to get KB, or Hurts or some of the guys that haven't even declared as transfers yet as the flat earthers!

texas tush hog

« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2019, 08:48:46 pm »

Lol, if you had to explain anything, youíd first have to understand it yourself! ;D

That would take some time, manóand some study.

Well that debate is over, Ty himself settled it. Good kid and I wish him luck at a lower level. He was clearly over matched in the SEC. Maybe now you can understand it.

rtr

« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2019, 08:53:07 pm »

Shane Buchele

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:24 am »

We can debate the qb position all day long, but if the o-line doesn't perform better it won't matter who is starting.  Same with wr's; if they can't get open the qb looks bad--especially while running from large heavy dudes in opponent's uni's, or flat on his back.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:02 am »

Hey Mike, next time I'll listen out my good ear. :D

Hogwild

« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2019, 10:37:12 am »

Shane Buchele

we are the favorite, but we were the favorite with KB also

there are odds listed for where Buechele could end up next (assuming he does leave Texas). Should he transfer, three SEC programs are the favorites to land him:

Arkansas Razorbacks +200
Ole Miss Rebels +250
Mississippi State Bulldogs +350

King Kong

« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:10 am »

we are the favorite, but we were the favorite with KB also

Well, Odds makers didnt have us as the favorite for KB.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2019, 01:39:02 pm »

With both Cole Kelley and Ty Storey leaving the program, it is definitely Jefferson's job.  Let's hope he's one helluva great freshman QB. Hyatt will be the backup.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas