• 10,160,174 Posts
• 405,280 Topics
• 23,134 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Who will be the Hog QB next year  (Read 13414 times)

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
Re: Who will be the Hog QB next year
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2018, 06:57:04 pm »

Wont be noland because of baseball

Lanlord

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2018, 10:05:47 pm »

Well this looks beat to death but I can tell you that every QB we had last year had to constantly run for their lives due to O-line play.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WBOBO

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2018, 11:36:18 pm »

It will not be anyone on campus at this time.

liljo

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2018, 08:23:25 am »

It will not be anyone on campus at this time.
They already out for Christmas break?

lasthog

« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2018, 09:13:52 am »

I think Iíll wait until Chad makes up his mind. Then Iíll be able to tell you.

Yeah, me too. Just hope it's before mid-season this time.

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2018, 02:19:54 pm »

Couldn't agree with you more on what Coach Morris clearly wants.

Still, bettin' Ty to start some games in 2019.
I say no unless the starter (whoever that is) gets hurt and even then maybe no.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2018, 03:14:58 pm »

So they've given up all hope for him, Mike? They just don't think there's any chance he can step up and play better, with changes up front and some new weapons?

I'm surprised they'd make that call this soon. I DEFINITELY understand their desire and attempts to get someone who is just clearly more talented, but that'll be an experience senior QB with a year in the system under his belt...

I'm not doubting your word at all, I know you know a lot more about the situation than I do, but that kind of disappoints me. I guess I just don't give up on people as easily as some.

Superhog1959

« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2018, 03:17:15 pm »

Who do you think will be the starter?

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2018, 03:17:30 pm »

As the original poster I was hoping to find someone with an aceptable answer about our QB problem.
I don't know who has the strongest arm. What I see is poor accuracy regardless of the arm strength. Obviously we want a QB who is accurate and can thread a needle before the defender can close on the ball. I've seen no one with that ability.
Big time passing requires teamwork and timing between the QB and the reciever while have enough protection to accomplish the task. I didn't see it last year.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2018, 03:27:28 pm »

So they've given up all hope for him, Mike? They just don't think there's any chance he can step up and play better, with changes up front and some new weapons

I'm surprised they'd make that call this soon. I DEFINITELY understand their desire and attempts to get someone who is just clearly more talented, but that'll be an experience senior QB with a year in the system under his belt...

I'm not doubting your word at all, I know you know a lot more about the situation than I do, but that kind of disappoints me. I guess I just don't give up on people as easily as some.
Ty Storey should be a graduated football player and entering into the NFL draft. To my eyes he has not demonstrated he has the ability to perform even at an acceptable level in the SEC. If a QB has to have perfect protection there may be several with the ability to get the job done. Some may even be playing flag football on campus.

Melancholy_Pigg

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »

I think the OL woes have been such that we really do not know what our QB's are capable of doing.  I think a good bit of it is conjecture.

It is amazing how even a little pressure can throw an otherwise great quarterback off his game.  My classic example is 2003 OU vs. KSU when KSU made Heisman winner Jason White look like a schlub.  Like someone who just wasn't very good.

How many opportunities to execute a play did Austin Allen ever get?  Not many.  He was running for his life.  Same thing with Storey. 

There was an interview with an OL from Holtz's 1977-78 team - my apologies I can't recall his name much less go find it.  But the guy was just blistering the OL under Bielema.  Talking about how they stood straight up, didn't hustle, how HOltz would have had them howling until they straightened up.

Until we get the OL ironed out, we will be limited in our offensive capabilities.  And that is why KB didn't come here. 

Melancholy_Pigg

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2018, 03:28:37 pm »

Ty Storey should be a graduated football player and entering into the NFL draft. To my eyes he has not demonstrated he has the ability to perform even at an acceptable level in the SEC. If a QB has to have perfect protection there may be several with the ability to get the job done. Some may even be playing flag football on campus.

our QB's have not even had a fighting chance - for several years now. 

Superhog1959

« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2018, 03:49:35 pm »

I think the OL woes have been such that we really do not know what our QB's are capable of doing.  I think a good bit of it is conjecture.

It is amazing how even a little pressure can throw an otherwise great quarterback off his game.  My classic example is 2003 OU vs. KSU when KSU made Heisman winner Jason White look like a schlub.  Like someone who just wasn't very good.

How many opportunities to execute a play did Austin Allen ever get?  Not many.  He was running for his life.  Same thing with Storey. 

There was an interview with an OL from Holtz's 1977-78 team - my apologies I can't recall his name much less go find it.  But the guy was just blistering the OL under Bielema.  Talking about how they stood straight up, didn't hustle, how HOltz would have had them howling until they straightened up.

Until we get the OL ironed out, we will be limited in our offensive capabilities.  And that is why KB didn't come here.
You are correct. It all starts with the O line. I said many times. If we had Tom Brady, he would not do well with the O line of this year. With the recruiting that seems to be looking up. Hoping we get good there.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2018, 03:49:39 pm »

I guess Mike Irwin and I were the only ones that noticed that Storey couldnít hit a simple crossing pattern and that he consistently threw 3 yards behind his receivers when attempting to.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2018, 03:54:07 pm »

Jefferson will no doubt be the starter.  He is clearly more talented than any QB currently on the roster.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2018, 03:55:42 pm »

I guess Mike Irwin and I were the only ones that noticed that Storey couldnít hit a simple crossing pattern and that he consistently threw 3 yards behind his receivers when attempting to.

No...it's  been discussed. The coaches worked with him to throw to recievers before they were out of their break or as they came open and not wait until they were open but he was just never able to do so. He would wait too late give the DB time to make a play then throw behind.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2018, 04:00:40 pm »

Yeah, probably the only two in the whole world.

Superhog1959

« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:54 pm »

No...it's  been discussed. The coaches worked with him to throw to recievers before they were out of their break or as they came open and not wait until they were open but he was just never able to do so. He would wait too late give the DB time to make a play then throw behind.
I saw that to, but in his defense, it was his first year to play much. Didn't start at the first of the year, he did seem to add some organization to the offense that CK couldn't. At the same time, how would you react with a Oline not picking up blocks and you had big 280+ pound monsters chasing you that want to kill you? My first reaction would be to live.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2018, 04:07:26 pm »

I saw that to, but in his defense, it was his first year to play much. Didn't start at the first of the year, he did seem to add some organization to the offense that CK couldn't. At the same time, how would you react with a Oline not picking up blocks and you had big 280+ pound monsters chasing you that want to kill you? My first reaction would be to live.
Chandler Morris can make throws right now that we havenít seen in a couple years. Crossing patterns, end zone fades, etc. 

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2018, 04:26:18 pm »

Chandler Morris can make throws right now that we havenít seen in a couple years. Crossing patterns, end zone fades, etc.
That'd be a hell of a trick with an SEC defensive end exiting an earhole.

Superhog1959

« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2018, 04:53:10 pm »

Would you want you son playing QB behind the line we had this year?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2018, 05:02:20 pm »

It was Storey's first significent snaps and he obviously had a better grasp of the playbook than Kelley.

One would think consisidering the porus OL he would try to throw early to live rather than hold the ball throw late and get hit...over and over.

It seems there was a reason he didn't get significant playing time.

And Chavis said "we have a lot of players who have been in the system 3-4 years and haven't really played." It would seem that was Bielemas Uncommon Plan.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2018, 05:21:21 pm »

Would you want you son playing QB behind the line we had this year?
Chandler Morris would be in Chad Morris' 3rd recruiting class at Arkansas. If he comes he would not play behind the "line we had this year."

Mike Irwin

« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2018, 05:25:27 pm »

Who do you think will be the starter?
A grad transfer if they can find one. Connor Noland or K.J. Jefferson otherwise. Morris said he'd be willing to take the right older quarterback as late as this coming summer. That speaks volumes about the other options he has.

Superhog1959

« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2018, 06:07:34 pm »

Chandler Morris would be in Chad Morris' 3rd recruiting class at Arkansas. If he comes he would not play behind the "line we had this year."
I do think line play will improve, at least with the info I have on recruiting so far. That would be cool. But if I was a kid, I don't know if I would want to play for my dad.

Dionysos25

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2018, 09:31:27 pm »

What if.. Storey gets better in the offseason? Eh? Possible? :)

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2018, 10:00:50 pm »

What if.. Storey gets better in the offseason? Eh? Possible? :)
I think theyíre saying thatís not possible.  ???

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2018, 10:12:49 pm »

That'd be a hell of a trick with an SEC defensive end exiting an earhole.
its all relative. Texas is big boy football.

Hogmatic

« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2018, 09:00:29 am »

We all know the WR, QB and Oline killed us last year.   None of us knows who will be the QB so let's look at the position groups that make a QB look good.  This is my opine....

CCM developed a quick passing game in the absence of our bomb squad WRs, which reduced the blocking times for the Oline.  The Oline looked much better against some of our toughest competition A&M, Bama, and OM until teams learned to shut down O'Grady and make us win with the WRs.  As for this upcoming season I think the Oline will be improved by a good margin.  The 2 bookend JUCO OTs make a big difference when added to Capps, Clenin, Wagner, Gatlin, Jackson etc.  The RS FR Olineman look solid and some played up to 4 games while the others were injured/RS.    Clary and Robinson can duel for the Center spot and that should improve the blocking at Center.  Clary should improve as he was new to Center but he still gets dominated at times.  Robinson has had a RS and will have off season, spring and summer to work on Center snaps.

TE is going to be stellar with O'Grady, Gunter, and Henry.  The TE was the key to opening up the Quick Passing game.  People forget that O'Grady was in suspension or the dog house for the first 4 games so he didn't catch his first pass until the A&M game.   O'Grady was the key we needed to open up the quick passing game. He had 77 yards in the A&M game which was the first time we saw the Quick passing game with O'Grady and Boyd creating a pretty good offense in spite of the bomb squad WRs BS.   The WR, TE, and RB make up 3 of the receiving components/options for a QB but we only had 2 of the 3 this year as a result of the bomb squad WRs sitting on their hands.

The good new is this past season's Freshman WR Woods had 206 yds in spite of a terrible offense and missing the first 2 games via suspension.  Warren, Woods, Stewart and Harrell can be a solid core of existing WRs to build around but we need 2 of the new Stud WRs to match Woods' production.   The new signees are much higher rated WRs than Woods so they are very capable of being productive early.

RB is stellar with some top notch backs like Whaley and Boyd.  Hayden and Hammonds are very capable and will play because of the injuries that can happen to the top 2.   Sadly 2 coaching staffs have had a hard time getting Hammonds to take coaching.

It is exciting to think what this offense could do-even Storey was capable of running a small portion of the offense against A&M, Bama, and OM (quick passing game).   The new WRs could open up the offense in a dramatic way which would make give us all 3 receiving options and spread the defense outside the hashes.

hog of steele

« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2018, 09:55:10 am »

It seems obvious that QBs can improve a lot in the second year in any system. We have seen that here a few times. Even with Storey's limitations he should be better than this year. Ad that to the fact that the main running QB option is a true freshman and I think TS is the day 1 starter.  It could be Noland. I don't know as much about him but he was in the film room this year too.

I think KJ is the kind of QB CCM wants. So I bet he plays 4 games. It will be interesting to see if its the first or last 4 games. 

hawginbigd1

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2018, 08:56:56 pm »

I think theyíre saying thatís not possible.  ???
I agree with what Aikman said today, you are either a QB who is accurate or you are not, and no amount of work, practice, or drills is going to change that. Storey is not accurate.

Hogbit

« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2018, 09:07:17 pm »

Chupa can and has made all those throws. He is coming.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2018, 10:37:12 pm »

Chupa can and has made all those throws. He is coming.
Too bad he can't see over the line.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2018, 11:18:29 pm »

I agree with what Aikman said today, you are either a QB who is accurate or you are not, and no amount of work, practice, or drills is going to change that. Storey is not accurate.
That depends on the reason for accuracy issues.  Even a world class sniper has trouble shooting accurate in a hurricane.  Iíve said from day one that Storey has had accuracy issues in games, but Iíve never thought for a moment that they are solely due to his ability and the percentage canít improve.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2018, 11:26:26 pm »

Add to Aikman, why did Dallas suck so bad his rookie season if a QB has it or not?  Go look at his stats year 1 & 2 compared to year 3.  That kind of blows his statement up to a large degree.

isavedjazz

« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2018, 12:35:21 am »

Pretty sure his lack of arm strength causes the inaccuracy. He wasnít bad in the short game this year

Hogbit

« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2018, 09:18:34 am »

Too bad he can't see over the line.
He is coming in 2019

HF#1

« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2018, 10:59:02 am »

Ben Hicks

texas tush hog

« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2018, 11:14:03 am »

Correct.

Storey will prosper with a good O-line and excellent receivers.  His running ability will be put to good use when he needs to move out of designed play.

My money is on Storey being the starter in 2019.

Then you will file for bankruptcy.

plumbhog

« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2018, 11:17:28 am »

People just love saying this, but....https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-passing-differences-when-pressured

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2018, 01:22:04 pm »

Who ever it is they have to be a strong leader. Someone who has a fire. Clint had it. Brandon did his senior year. Get in someoneís face when they screw up then pat him on the back the next play. Someone that wins.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2018, 01:25:05 pm »

People won't admit the truth, they will overlook the facts to continue to push the hometown hero, to heck with that, just win!

Superhog1959

« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2018, 02:21:52 pm »

A lot seem to think KJ is the man. I watched some of his tape and he does look good. But, doesn't he play in like 3A? Big difference in 3A HS football and SEC west.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »

A lot seem to think KJ is the man. I watched some of his tape and he does look good. But, doesn't he play in like 3A? Big difference in 3A HS football and SEC west.

Morris and Co will bring in a grad trans QB, KJ will play significant minutes in 4 games and RS.

Hogbit

« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »

Morris and Co will bring in a grad trans QB, KJ will play significant minutes in 4 games and RS.
And if he stinks it up? What grad transfer?

Bardicer

• Varsity
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2018, 02:38:44 pm »

Has anyone calculated how much time our QBs had in the pocket?  From what I saw, defenses were in our backfield as much as our QBs and RBs.

If defenders are in the backfield within 2-3 seconds, and the receivers can't get separation and get downfield in less than 5 seconds, how many meaningful deep balls can the QB throw without it being more than a heave and pray?

Superhog1959

« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »

Has anyone calculated how much time our QBs had in the pocket?  From what I saw, defenses were in our backfield as much as our QBs and RBs.

If defenders are in the backfield within 2-3 seconds, and the receivers can't get separation and get downfield in less than 5 seconds, how many meaningful deep balls can the QB throw without it being more than a heave and pray?
I am hoping the O line play improves next year. That, to me is the key. I don't think any QB could do much with the O line we had this year.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2018, 02:53:45 pm »

Lets say we get a transfer but he does not get here until June.   Nolan plays baseball and only gets at most half the practices of Spring.  Ty and Hyatt transfers before the 2nd semester begins.  And Jones gets almost all of the spring attention can Jones make a big move????

Does Jones have enough intangibles like leadership abilities,  good enough arm strength and elusiveness with his legs to move the chains and score enough in the spring to make a move to beat Conner out for starting QB coming out of Spring????   Jones starting for

Of course if we  get a transfer everyone is thinking he will be the man in the Fall but just curious about Jones intangibles as a QB to become #2?

Hogbit

« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2018, 02:57:02 pm »

Lets say we get a transfer but he does not get here until June.   Nolan plays baseball and only gets at most half the practices of Spring.  Ty and Hyatt transfers before the 2nd semester begins.  And Jones gets almost all of the spring attention can Jones make a big move????

Does Jones have enough intangibles like leadership abilities,  good enough arm strength and elusiveness with his legs to move the chains and score enough in the spring to make a move to beat Conner out for starting QB coming out of Spring????   Jones starting for

Of course if we  get a transfer everyone is thinking he will be the man in the Fall but just curious about Jones intangibles as a QB to become #2?
Chupa is an AWESOME qb. He is more than capable of running the show. His problem is overcoming all the haters because of who he is.

Bardicer

• Varsity
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2018, 03:03:35 pm »

I am hoping the O line play improves next year. That, to me is the key. I don't think any QB could do much with the O line we had this year.

my thoughts as well. 

Besides, over the past however many years, everyone swears an incoming freshman is the savior and the current QB at the time is horrible.

Amazing that we have had any QBs get signed to NFL teams since they have all sucked.

/s
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas