• 10,151,053 Posts
• 405,091 Topics
• 23,124 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Who will be the Hog QB next year  (Read 13401 times)

Piggfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hog Table top cooker
Who will be the Hog QB next year
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:44:31 am »

WPS!!!

Dr. Leonard Ford

Re: Who will be the Hog QB next year
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:10:26 pm »

Wut?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 12:29:25 pm »

Unless something big happens during the off season, I believe Storey will be the starter.

OkieBack

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:37:36 pm »

Unless something big happens during the off season, I believe Storey will be the starter.

Yup.  Unless Noland or KJ really jump out and show some major capability to run the offense, its going to go to Ty simply because with protection he can be serviceable right now.   Now if a QB transferred into Arkansas who actually knew the Morris offense...all bets are off.

Seebs

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 12:39:34 pm »

Jones, Noland, Storey, Hyatt or Jefferson or someone else. Your questions are amazing and demand thoughtful insights.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 12:58:36 pm »

Hyatt's my dark horse watch out

Backcountryhog

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 01:04:53 pm »

Noland IMO

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 01:06:41 pm »

WPS!!!

The new innovative offense for 19 will not have a qb.
It will revolutionize college football.

This is because we don't have a qb

UnknownNobody

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 01:15:31 pm »

The new innovative offense for 19 will not have a qb.
It will revolutionize college football.

This is because we don't have a qb

That is a great plan...considering this we will not need a center and thus all our problems willl be solved.

alohawg

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »

Jones, Noland, Storey, Hyatt or Jefferson or someone else. Your questions are amazing and demand thoughtful insights.

But does the OP See bs?

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:33 pm »

It's Storey.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »

It won't be Cole Kelley

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 02:19:33 pm »

WPS!!!

Well, if people think that getting a transfer QB like Hicks is the answer then we're in serious trouble, he'd be far worse than anyone we have on the team.  As far as what we already have, the job is Storeys to lose.  He knows the offense better than anyone does.  He'll have better protection this coming season or so we hope.  He'll have better WR's to throw to provided they can get separation, and he'll have one of the best RB's in the SEC next year that will know this offense to in Boyd.  I actually don't see anyone taking Storeys spot as far as Noland or Jones or Jefferson, they don't know the offense good enough and Noland will miss to much time playing his best sport, baseball.  It's up to a graduate transfer QB to unseat Storey, but it won't be Hicks, that's just my opinion.  I welcome thoughts on what I've said.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 02:22:23 pm »

Id prefer Noland to start over Storey

Tyro3

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 02:22:34 pm »

Well, if people think that getting a transfer QB like Hicks is the answer then we're in serious trouble, he'd be far worse than anyone we have on the team.  As far as what we already have, the job is Storeys to lose.  He knows the offense better than anyone does.  He'll have better protection this coming season or so we hope.  He'll have better WR's to throw to provided they can get separation, and he'll have one of the best RB's in the SEC next year that will know this offense to in Boyd.  I actually don't see anyone taking Storeys spot as far as Noland or Jones or Jefferson, they don't know the offense good enough and Noland will miss to much time playing his best sport, baseball.  It's up to a graduate transfer QB to unseat Storey, but it won't be Hicks, that's just my opinion.  I welcome thoughts on what I've said.

It is my understanding that Noland will go through spring practice and will miss minimal time due to baseball.

swineology

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 02:23:23 pm »

Ty Storey

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 02:25:43 pm »

I think the one thing we do know is that it won't be the ULM 2 QBs on the field at the same time offense that Funroe ran a couple of years ago, although that might be interesting.

Although, on second thought, was it the HBC that said "if you have 2 QBs, you don't have any QB's?" Maybe that's where we are.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 02:32:12 pm »

I don't get how you think Storey is better.  If we are going off high school films then I'll give it to you he was the man in Charleston.  What we all witnessed last year I couldn't say if he was better then anyone except Cole Kelly.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 02:39:23 pm »

RIght now, I'd say it'll be Ty Storey. Another year in the same offense, with upgraded weaponry, and hopefully an improved O-line.

Be tough to beat out, in my opinion. It's not a rare thing to see a lot of improvement in a year.

To the naysayers: Flame on, I don't give a . Then, go work someplace at somethin' half as hard as that kid has.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 02:43:20 pm »

RIght now, I'd say it'll be Ty Storey. Another year in the same offense, with upgraded weaponry, and hopefully an improved O-line.

Be tough to beat out, in my opinion. It's not a rare thing to see a lot of improvement in a year.

To the naysayers: Flame on, I don't give a . Then, go work someplace at somethin' half as hard as that kid has.

Looks like the coaching staff has a lot of faith in him. Didn't have him as the starter to begin the year and now they are actively looking for his replacement.  It my be him but it will only be by default.

mykidsdad

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »

I say NAY.

I love how you and posters like you blame the OL for issues that Storey causes. No arm = shrunken field for D to defend. Sunken field to defend = can cover less space with less people. Less people required to cover = more people can rush without fear of being burned. Less people to cover also = more people in the box to stop run game. No run game = more pressure on passing game. More people that can rush and from different positions = harder to protect QB.

Not difficult and will not change with different OL or improved receiving corps with the same QB.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 03:02:33 pm »

I agree with that assessment.
Hicks is not a dual threat qb.
We have yet to see the Morris offense complete but I believe it needs a qb who can run
That is not Hicks. Also I believe Hicks lost his job to a freshman
That being said the decision is millions of USD above my pay grade.
If Morris believes it is worth it to burn a scholarship for one year then that is on him.

KB was an entirely different "story"(pun intended.

Personally I would like to see the scholarship used (in order of preference)
running back, dback, linebacker.

Fortunately for everyone concerned I do not get a vote

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 03:16:20 pm »

I say NAY.

I love how you and posters like you blame the OL for issues that Storey causes. No arm = shrunken field for D to defend. Sunken field to defend = can cover less space with less people. Less people required to cover = more people can rush without fear of being burned. Less people to cover also = more people in the box to stop run game. No run game = more pressure on passing game. More people that can rush and from different positions = harder to protect QB.

Not difficult and will not change with different OL or improved receiving corps with the same QB.

You might be amazed at what even an average QB can do when he has proper protection......

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 03:16:29 pm »

I say NAY.

And I say you're full of Pork Chops.

I didn't "blame" anyone in my post. Not one single person. Go back and read it, real slow, try to concentrate. Then chew a little longer before you swallow.

Can the line improve next year? I sure hope so. Can the weaponry be upgraded next year? I sure hope so. Can Ty personally improve by next year? I hope so.

I didn't blame anybody, but I do get tired of "Posters Like You" are so quick to put all the "blame" on a player that's takin' the shots on the field, as well as off.

VirginiaHog

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 03:17:32 pm »

If no big name transfer, it will be Storey. KJ gets here too late to factor in next season. I would choose Noland if he was not playing baseball. Ty will be working on his game all winter and spring while Noland will be playing baseball.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 03:27:31 pm »

Shane Buechele...book it.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 03:28:29 pm »

You might be amazed at what even an average QB can do when he has proper protection......

Look at the ones Saban has had over the years. Average Quarterbacks with amazing offensive lines.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 03:30:13 pm »

I can't see them not bringing in a new QB Hicks is probably the fall back if they can't get someone better.  They wouldn't be looking this hard if they thought Ty was their guy.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 03:34:01 pm »

Presser at 4..........

Tick Hog

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 03:34:44 pm »

Hes not on campus yet. I love Ty but no way these coaches let their success lie in his hands for another season.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »

I think Ill wait until Chad makes up his mind. Then Ill be able to tell you.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »

I can't see them not bringing in a new QB Hicks is probably the fall back if they can't get someone better.  They wouldn't be looking this hard if they thought Ty was their guy.

I TOTALLY get that the staff wants to upgrade the QB position. I'm just saying, no matter who they bring in, they'll have to compete for the job with an experienced QB with a whole lot more film work, game prep, and focused study in this offensive system. My money would be on Ty, once again, winning the job. And I fully expect him to perform at a much higher level next season due to a multitude of factors.

I expect the center-QB exchange to be much improved. I expect the line to be improved. I expect the backs to produce more. I expect better receivers. More of the offense installed.

Just my opinion as to an answer to the OP's initial question.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 03:37:28 pm »

Look at the ones Saban has had over the years. Average Quarterbacks with amazing offensive lines.

I would take any of those game managers QB's he had because they didn't lose games for you.  They could make most of the throws and most importantly they didn't turn the ball over. 

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 03:40:12 pm »

I TOTALLY get that the staff wants to upgrade the QB position. I'm just saying, no matter who they bring in, they'll have to compete for the job with an experienced QB with a whole lot more film work, game prep, and focused study in this offensive system. My money would be on Ty, once again, winning the job. And I fully expect him to perform at a much higher level next season due to a multitude of factors.

I expect the center-QB exchange to be much improved. I expect the line to be improved. I expect the backs to produce more. I expect better receivers. More of the offense installed.

Our offensive line has a lot of experience, game film, and they should know the offense but that doesn't mean they are worth a damn either.  I think they would rather lose with youth then lose with a veteran QB at least you have something to build on.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 03:44:58 pm »

And amazing running backs.  And amazing defenses.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 03:46:08 pm »

Shouldn't be too hard to pull it off; according to a Orange Cow board, their fans wouldn't miss him if he left.

Come on to Arkansas, get in there and compete. 'Course, we'd have to re-baptize him, try to wash off that burnt orange around the ears...

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »

If no big name transfer, it will be Storey. KJ gets here too late to factor in next season. I would choose Noland if he was not playing baseball. Ty will be working on his game all winter and spring while Noland will be playing baseball.

Coaches say Noland will go through spring practice, will miss minimal time due to baseball.

hogfansince79

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 03:54:32 pm »

You do know that Hicks spent almost 3 years (enrolled at SMU in Jan 2015) in CCM's system, and started for 2 years, don't you?  Maybe not.

Etowah

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 03:54:58 pm »

Mason Fine...book it.

liljo

• Hogvillian

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 03:58:21 pm »

Mason Fine...book it.

Ya been drinkin' again haven't you?

Haven't you?

hogmolar

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 04:05:11 pm »

This is where Hicks has an advantage. He knows the reads and has shown he can properly execute them. What it appears last year Ty was not even making the correct reads that the staff wanted. If so they would not be looking to replace or played Noland as much in the Mizzou game.

With all tangibles equal, arm strength, accuracy etc, I can see Morris getting Hicks which is a known player. This helps the new WRs gain confidence  by having a guy he can trust with the correct reads. It also gives KJ or whoever is next another year in the system and a model to learn from. Finally it increase the chances of more wins thus keeping the momentum moving in the correct direction.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2018, 04:13:00 pm »

Mason Fine...book it.

I wish but don't see it happening unless Littrell leaves for a bigger job.

searkhogfan

• Senior
  • TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS, OH MY !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 04:13:52 pm »

Without a Grad Transfer.  Itll be Noland.  Hes got pretty good wheels & has a good arm.

texas tush hog

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »

In that case get ready for another 2-10 season. oh wait we don't play North Texas this year and Colorado State is a home game. Make that 4-8. Story needs to transfer to an AIC school.

Leadbelly

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2018, 06:55:51 pm »

So Hicks would be far worse than anyone we have now and Storey knows the offense better than anyone?
I really dont know if Hicks is better than anyone we have but your argument seems to contradict itself.
Hicks played three years under CMM and his system and yet Storey knows it better?
Hicks is the all time passing leader at SMU but yet YOU know hes not as good as a group that collectively went 2-10?
Brush up on your debate skills or back away from the keyboard please.
Those are my thoughts.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »

I disagree.  Those guys were better than average and most of them made an NFL roster at some point.  Brandon Allen is a good comparison.  Not great but pretty good.  And yes, a good Oline is definitely key and can make an avg QB look good.  Football is the ultimate team game. 

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 08:41:06 pm »

Nine months to figure it out. Id say its someone not on campus or someone who started a game and won.

1highhog

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 09:29:52 pm »

I don't get how you think Storey is better.  If we are going off high school films then I'll give it to you he was the man in Charleston.  What we all witnessed last year I couldn't say if he was better then anyone except Cole Kelly.

Let's just say I'm going off what little I've seen so far of Noland which is not much in College, and of Storey which is a lot, in College.  Of what I've witnessed of Conner, he doesn't know the offense, and will he learn much of it this spring with playing baseball?  He's a good runner, but so is Storey, he can throw further than Storey, but he throws as many It's right now as Storey, so he needs a lot of playing time.   Is Conner going to commit to football fully and compete for the QB job?  Time to tell is this Spring.

1highhog

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2018, 09:39:30 pm »

You do know that Hicks spent almost 3 years (enrolled at SMU in Jan 2015) in CCM's system, and started for 2 years, don't you?  Maybe not.

I did ask for responses, but I wanted posters who knew what the hell they were talking about.  Hicks just spent all that time, (As you mentioned) at SMU in CCM's  system, and was the starter.  But did you not realize that even after all that he just got pushed out of that starting job by a freshman?   Have you not looked at Hicks TD to INT ratio?  It's not good at all.  Did you also know that Hicks is one dimensional?  Case closed!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas