• 10,016,011 Posts
• 401,475 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Everybody calm down  (Read 3146 times)

checkraiser88

Everybody calm down
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:44:17 pm »

That team is expected to win their league, they’ve beaten West Virginia and Arkansas now and they have Wisconsin and St Mary coming to their place. We are still a tournament team by years end

OinkinOregon

Re: Everybody calm down
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:44:47 pm »

Agreed

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:45:41 pm »

That team is expected to win their league, they’ve beaten West Virginia and Arkansas now and they have Wisconsin and St Mary coming to their place. We are still a tournament team by years end

Not with that defense and FT shooting.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:45:45 pm »

Yep, literally everybody on this board has said we would lose a game or two we shouldn’t and most people agreed and now that we have the haters are throwing death threats, typical, hang in there hogs.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:48:52 pm »

The problem being few people recognize this was never a 'should not lose' game.  CUSA is solid and there is a reason they are the favorite.  This is like losing to an SEC team.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:33 pm »

Not with that defense and FT shooting.

Very young team has a bad game. Surprised?

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:50 pm »

The problem being few people recognize this was never a 'should not lose' game.  CUSA is solid and there is a reason they are the favorite.  This is like losing to an SEC team.

This would be true except for the performance of WKU up to this point in the year. This may be the game that turns it around for them. But this was a should not lose game no matter how you look at it.

Double digit favorites at home to a 4-4 midmajor team that just lost to a bad 4-5 MSU team, among other bad losses. There's no way around it.

hoglady

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:53:56 pm »

I knew when I came to jump ball the Anderson haters would be out in force.

Bailey had his worst game, Harris has got to finish, poor FT shooting (even from Joe, today) and for a while Jones and Simpson couldn't buy a basket. Gafford got outmuscled today by the freshman.

Put all that on Anderson if you want - but it was a team effort to lose that game.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 04:56:34 pm »

The way we lost is disappointing. Lackadaisical start to the second half, multiple defensive breakdowns, and suspect substitution patterns cropped up, along with the usual press yielding open threes and poor free-throw shooting.

That was also Harris’s poorest game thus far. He was more a shooter and less of a distributor today. We need the pass first Harris at PG for this team to thrive.

Certainly no reason to panic. They can learn and grow from it.

alohawg

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 04:56:43 pm »

The winning team today had superior coaching.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 04:58:05 pm »

The winning team today had superior coaching.

Yes, Stansbury is such a superior coach that he's coaching...Western Kentucky. He was 4-10 in BWA until today. Definitely superior.

FWIW, I just checked their winning % while at MSU / Mike at Arkansas and they're literally identical (.638 vs .637). I guess you could say they are evenly matched, which we saw in action today in the 1 point game.

Hog Pharm

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 04:58:50 pm »

I knew when I came to jump ball the Anderson haters would be out in force.

Bailey had his worst game, Harris has got to finish, poor FT shooting (even from Joe, today) and for a while Jones and Simpson couldn't buy a basket. Gafford got outmuscled today by the freshman.

Put all that on Anderson if you want - but it was a team effort to lose that game.

Harris can’t finish against that NBA big. Shouldn’t have even tried.

alohawg

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 05:01:02 pm »

Yes, Stansbury is such a superior coach that he's coaching...Western Kentucky. He was 4-10 in BWA until today. Definitely superior.

We're talking about the game today.

Hogmatic

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 05:02:41 pm »

The game was allowed to be too rough for a team of freshman.  Let's be honest the physical play took Gafford out of his comfort zone.  He was getting thumped hard at times and the refs swallowed their whistles.  It got to Gafford.

Sills had a heck of a game and it offset some of the difference in output by Harris, Embry, Jones, etc.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »

He hogs youth showed up today. Everyone was worried about them hitting a wall later in the season.

Well they hit the wall today.  Game in Colorado, quick turnaround, end of the semester, with finals coming.

It is not a good loss come march.

Study, pass class get ready for the next game.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 05:03:45 pm »

Gafford being sick also didn't help. Had to ask to come out multiple times because he was tired. Let's lots of balls go off his hands, missed dunk, etc.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 05:04:47 pm »

Horrible coaching to draw up that play.

Hogmatic

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 05:05:30 pm »

Except for the fact that their starting PG was out, and their 6th man was ejected in the first half. They came into our place and beat us with 6 players, with 2 of their top 6 being out. The team that was projected to win their league and make the NCAAT is the team with Anderson and Bearden. Not the one that held a lead almost the entire 2nd half. 8 point lead with 20 minutes to play and WKU down 2 of their top 6 players, and we lost on our home court. In March it won't be viewed as a bad loss on paper, but the way it happened is certainly a bad loss.

It was a bad loss but we have gain something from it by inspiration, motivation and exposing weaknesses that can be fixed.

010HogFan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »

Get real man

He's actually right. WKU looked every bit as good as Indiana to me.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 05:05:38 pm »

Hogs 81 - WKU 71   I expect WKU to play their best game of the year. We need to make sure big Dan doesn't get in foul trouble against Bassey. The 4's need to be ready to step over and give fouls.  Keep Dan into the game on the offensive end early, make Bassey defend.

Hope my feeling is not right, but to me this feels like a game that might not be put away until the last 4 minutes. I could see a 4 point lead at the 4 minutes mark.  Young guys have been having a lot of success early and this could be a gut check. WKU hasn't played up to expectations and this is a big stage for them with a coach that is very familiar with everything Bud Walton and everything Arkansas.

Go Hogs!!

I'm sorry this team was ripe. I hoped they could overcome some issues that were bound to hit. We are being stupid and relying on the 3 early rather than getting Dan involved early. Get him involved and 3's are going to be uncontested.

I loved the play of Harris and Sills. Chaney needs more minutes. That split should not be 26-14.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:17:52 pm by k.c.hawg »

hoglady

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 05:06:06 pm »

I'm not really talking about the last play.
Sills finished / Harris didn't finish hardly a single drive in the 2nd half.

RazorSax

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 05:06:49 pm »

Our worst game so far in this young season. Their best. We lose by one.

Sky is falling

alohawg

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 05:06:50 pm »

Should've been in to Gafford, period.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 05:07:52 pm »

'
He is the last player that should be the object of anyone's concern. All heart, all desire, big balls.

RazorSax

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 05:08:23 pm »

Should've been in to Gafford, period.

I kind of liked Mason on the wing. Don't think he was even seen sliding over.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 05:08:42 pm »

'
He is the last player that should be the object of anyone's concern. All heart, all desire, big balls.

Agree - he has made this team go. Had his worst game today - and it showed with how the team was able to perform. We will live and die by him.

wonderboys

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 05:09:56 pm »

wow that is a loser's way of thinking.   Did you watch the game?     We blow a lead at home.   The team looked lazy and now everyone thinks they can shoot 3s -  this is the worst thing that could 've happened.   

Also,   There wasn't a lottery pick on the court today.   Gafford got abused by their 7ft freshman.   Not sure where he thinks he is going with that type of effort.

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:34 pm »

FWIW, I just checked their winning % while at MSU / Mike at Arkansas and they're literally identical (.638 vs .637). I guess you could say they are evenly matched, which we saw in action today in the 1 point game.
Stansbury took an undermanned team on the road and won. He out coached Mike today. Also, Mike would likely be coaching somewhere like WKU (or UAB) if he didn't get a free pass because of his history with the school he is working at. 3 tournaments in 7 seasons with 0 2nd weekend appearances don't typically allow you to keep your job at schools that truly value basketball. That is why Stansbury was fired from MSU. Through 8 seasons at MSU, Stansbury had made the NCAAT 4 times, in what was considered a much tougher SEC. After this year, it is likely that Mike has made just 3.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:39 pm »

The game was allowed to be too rough for a team of freshman.  Let's be honest the physical play took Gafford out of his comfort zone.  He was getting thumped hard at times and the refs swallowed their whistles.  It got to Gafford.

Sills had a heck of a game and it offset some of the difference in output by Harris, Embry, Jones, etc.
Gafford needs to expand his comfort zone.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:45 pm »

Still have alot of growing to do. Should work on finishing with his left hand.

jst01

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 05:11:02 pm »

Hi

Letsroll1200

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 05:11:29 pm »

Stansbury took an undermanned team on the road and won. He out coached Mike today. Also, Mike would likely be coaching somewhere like WKU (or UAB) if he didn't get a free pass because of his history with the school he is working at. 3 tournaments in 7 seasons with 0 2nd weekend appearances don't typically allow you to keep your job at schools that truly value basketball. That is why Stansbury was fired from MSU. Through 8 seasons at MSU, Stansbury had made the NCAAT 4 times, in what was considered a much tougher SEC. After this year, it is likely that Mike has made just 3.

Welcome back

checkraiser88

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 05:12:49 pm »

3 out of the last 4, likely 4 out of the last 5, your arguments for Stansbury are weak as hell too.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 05:13:46 pm »

Ask this to you. Does the UA really truly value basketball? We spend ALOT of money on Football every year and we are the worst P5 team in the Country, we have a court that needs remodeled, we have a lone NC coach at Arkansas bbasketball who comes to every game but no one will give him his court recognition, we have a lousy crowd almost every game, in which if we play a SEC opponet football there will be 60,000 plus there. So back to the question. Do we really truly value Arkansas Basketball?

limousin

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 05:14:53 pm »

That 2 ref crew swallowed their whistles throughout the game. Missed or ignored several calls. I don’t want the whistle blown on the touch fouls, but they really let it go today. We didn’t push the tempo all game like we finished. I told my son at the game after the first time out if the pace held up we’d score 70 at half. Then we scored 5 in the next 9 minutes. One thing else is for all our good young players, whose hands do we want the ball in at the end? I’m not sure that has been decided yet and it showed today.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 05:15:08 pm »

I am one of the least MA fans on this board and literally have been since the earliest of days when I got bashed for it. But (as always) facts matter - even when I don't like them...and you kind of skipped over the whole Mizzou thing where he was 111-57 (.661) and had NCAA tourney runs. We had to compete HARD to steal him from Mizzou. Hardly gifted the job

Oh and Stansbury was not fired from MSU - he was the most successful coach in their history...He retired from coaching for family reasons.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 05:17:02 pm »

Ask this to you. Does the UA really truly value basketball? We spend ALOT of money on Football every year and we are the worst P5 team in the Country, we have a court that needs remodeled, we have a lone NC coach at Arkansas bbasketball who comes to every game but no one will give him his court recognition, we have a lousy crowd almost every game, in which if we play a SEC opponet football there will be 60,000 plus there. So back to the question. Do we really truly value Arkansas Basketball?

This is an absurd post. We spend some of the most money on basketball of anyone in the SEC. We just built a massive basketball performance center and we are about to remodel BWA. We are routinely top 25 if not top 15 in attendance. The list goes on...

And the coach doesn't have his name on the court because he sued and defamed the university!!! That's on Nolan and only Nolan.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »

Agree. Sucks to lose this one, but it’s college basketball and it happens. Refocus and win out in nonconference and I’ll consider this half of the season a success. Especially since we are essentially playing with two experienced guys and all newcomers. We didn’t play a good game today, and that happens.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 05:24:07 pm »

wow that is a loser's way of thinking.   Did you watch the game?     We blow a lead at home.   The team looked lazy and now everyone thinks they can shoot 3s -  this is the worst thing that could 've happened.   

Also,   There wasn't a lottery pick on the court today.   Gafford got abused by their 7ft freshman.   Not sure where he thinks he is going with that type of effort.

Well for one thing you should realize their freshman is most likely going to be a lottery pick. He was the #6 freshman in the country and could have gone anywhere. They did a better job of utilizing him than we did Gafford. That should have been a concern for anyone after watching the CSU game. We went through intensive labor to get the ball to Gafford in the Indiana game and it resulted in 27 points. WKU doubled Gafford most of the game but when we got him the ball he was more successful than not. Young players got lazy and let the 3 fly too often.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:52:45 pm by k.c.hawg »

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 05:25:34 pm »

Maybe refrain from "everybody calm down".

It almost ruins the post.

Of course this team will challenge for post season provided they keep improving.

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 05:25:38 pm »

I am one of the least MA fans on this board and literally have been since the earliest of days when I got bashed for it. But (as always) facts matter - even when I don't like them...and you kind of skipped over the whole Mizzou thing where he was 111-57 (.661) and had NCAA tourney runs.

Oh and Stansbury was not fired from MSU - he was the most successful coach in their history...He retired from coaching for family reasons.
Why do I care what he did at Missouri? I skipped over it, because it was in a different time with a different team. How many time out did each team get back then? How many TV timeouts were there? Were hand checks a point of emphasis? The game has evolved. I am not calling for Mike to be fired. I am saying at most schools that value basketball, he does not have a leash this long. Tubby Smith mad 3 NCAAT in 6 seasons at Minnesota and was fired. Tom Crean made the NCAAT 4 of his last 6 seasons with 3 Sweet 16 appearances, and he was fired despite Indiana falling on hard times before he got there. Ben Howland was fired from UCLA. Rick Barnes from Texas. The list goes on of guys with equal or more success in March being fired from their school because they fail to take it to the next level. Justified or not, it happens.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 05:27:00 pm »

Man you've been gone since August. If you could stay that way.......that would be great.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2018, 05:28:34 pm »

Why do I care what he did at Missouri? I skipped over it, because it was in a different time with a different team. How many time out did each team get back then? How many TV timeouts were there? Were hand checks a point of emphasis? The game has evolved. I am not calling for Mike to be fired. I am saying at most schools that value basketball, he does not have a leash this long. Tubby Smith mad 3 NCAAT in 6 seasons at Minnesota and was fired. Tom Crean made the NCAAT 4 of his last 6 seasons with 3 Sweet 16 appearances, and he was fired despite Indiana falling on hard times before he got there. Ben Howland was fired from UCLA. Rick Barnes from Texas. The list goes on of guys with equal or more success in March being fired from their school because they fail to take it to the next level. Justified or not, it happens.

And those schools have sucked much, much worse since they fired those guys. You might want to include that point but it doesn't fit you little narrative.

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »

I HIGHLY doubt that THAT was the play that CMA drew up.

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2018, 05:30:26 pm »

Man you've been gone since August. If you could stay that way.......that would be great.
Sorry bud. I made the mistake of opening Hogville and seeing people say this wasn't a bad loss despite them having 2 players out. I struggle ignoring stuff like that when I log on. Used to be one of the biggest Mike Anderson apologists on here and got killed for it, so I get how you feel.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:14 pm »

You brought up UAB and then said he was gifted the job here. That's why I said you skipped the success at Mizzou part.

Timing also matters. He got a long run in the beginning, perhaps in part due to history or perhaps because we needed some stability, but then had back to back tourney years. After making tourney once in 5 years seems odd to fire him after finally making it twice (I know, you are not claiming to fire), including once where we were halfway decent officiating away from beating the national champion.

Nonetheless, we actually fired Stan after making back to back tourneys and a great recruiting class lined up - because we do value basketball and back-to-back tourneys without a run wasn't good enough.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2018, 05:33:40 pm »

I HIGHLY doubt that THAT was the play that CMA drew up.

I would almost 100% guarantee it is. Please watch literally any game last year - it was the exact same thing except with Macon. Dribble dribble dribble then drive to the lane iso or take a pull up. It's Mike's signature end of the game routine.

I also am pretty confident Harris, our most selfless player, would not have decided to suddenly disobey the coach with the game on the line

Letsroll1200

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2018, 05:35:48 pm »

Sorry bud. I made the mistake of opening Hogville and seeing people say this wasn't a bad loss despite them having 2 players out. I struggle ignoring stuff like that when I log on. Used to be one of the biggest Mike Anderson apologists on here and got killed for it, so I get how you feel.

How many players do the Hogs have? I saw more than two players make plays for WKU.

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2018, 05:37:24 pm »

Agree - he has made this team go. Had his worst game today - and it showed with how the team was able to perform. We will live and die by him.

Actually his worst game was Texas . When your point guard , who is supposed to
distribute the ball shoots 12 times
, that is a problem, it is an even bigger problem when he only makes 3 of them.

This team is still learning their roles. It looked like they had there for a while but
today was definitely a regression.

I think Mike will have their attention now.

Btw If I am Mike if you miss a layup in a game and don't get fouled
the next practice you run, you run and you run.
I am tired of seeing guys not finishing.

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2018, 05:38:15 pm »

And those schools have sucked much, much worse since they fired those guys. You might want to include that point but it doesn't fit you little narrative.

I never said those guys were justly fired. I was using it as an example of programs that have fired much more successful coaches than Mike. You take a risk every time you let a coach go. You cannot keep a coach in fear of what will happen if what is happening isn't exactly working. Maybe it will work this year and the team gets better late in March and makes a run.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas