• 10,016,065 Posts
• 401,476 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I知 still excited about this team  (Read 1212 times)

Arazorbackguy1

I知 still excited about this team
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:42:03 pm »

Young and likely needed a reality check. Anyone at any time can come to your place and give you a game. Gotta give it your all and I think we came out a little cocky. I thought when we went to half that the team kinda came out thinking it was over and WKu would lay down. Didn稚 happen.

This team will get better from this loss and it may be the best thing that could have happened at this point.

BannerMountainMan

Re: I知 still excited about this team
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:43:36 pm »

Duh, every loss in the earl part of the season for a young team is a teaching moment, def could learn a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:44:18 pm »

Same. After watching this team the last several weeks, I致e basicalky determined that they値l lose some they should win, and win some they shouldn稚. This is one we should致e won, but hats off to WKU. They played extremely well tonight and pulled it out in the end.

PetrinoFan

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:44:52 pm »

6-3 seton hall beat Kentucky today on their floor.. They are 7-2.  We are 6-2.  This can be a learning experience for this very young, skilled Arkansas team. We will become better from it.

RazorNick

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville member since 2006
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:49:10 pm »

Disappointing to lose, but I知 still high on this team. As young as they are, they could have easily folded when WKU took the lead in the second half, but they didn稚, they played to the end.

Breems

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 04:59:50 pm »

Didn't look like mental issues to me.

Bad shooting, terrible FT shooting, 0 bench production outside Sills, and 0 production at the 4.

Other than shooting better from 3, I don't see those other issues going away anytime soon.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 05:02:15 pm »

The reality check should be to cut some players floor time and dont mass sub 5 minutes in when the team is rolling.

checkraiser88

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »

Bad shooting, terrible FT shooting, 0 bench production outside Sills, and 0 production at the 4.

Other than shooting better from 3, I don't see those other issues going away anytime soon.

Really? Because those issues have affected us all year? We are a few plays away from being undefeated with a team of newcomers. Go have a drink and come back tomorrow

Hog Pharm

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:30 pm »

6-3 seton hall beat Kentucky today on their floor.. They are 7-2.  We are 6-2.  This can be a learning experience for this very young, skilled Arkansas team. We will become better from it.

No, that game was at MSG.

Hogmatic

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 05:20:11 pm »

FT Shooting can improve, we need more set plays instead of waiting for someone to make something happen.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 05:21:47 pm »

, we need more set plays instead of waiting for someone to make something happen.

Ha ha ha, aint gonna happen

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »

This is still the same team that has looked great for most of the season and when they look bad they are still decent, don稚 understand the freaking out.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 05:33:43 pm »

Not a horrible loss, would have been a good win. Most people tbought 2 ooc losses, so no big deal. Didnt play well and still had a shot at the end.

Breems

Re: I’m still excited about this team
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 05:38:28 pm »

Really? Because those issues have affected us all year? We are a few plays away from being undefeated with a team of newcomers. Go have a drink and come back tomorrow

Against good competition, yes. We're also a play away from 3 losses.

I don't need a drink. I know what this team is and wasn't phased by this loss a bit.

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 05:41:12 pm »

Not a horrible loss, would have been a good win. Most people tbought 2 ooc losses, so no big deal. Didnt play well and still had a shot at the end.

What happened to you?

pigasaurus

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 07:06:43 pm »

Young team got beat. Scotty and Corliss got beat by 5 guard lineup NLU (LOUISIANA MONROE ) their fr season. I don't like it but its survivable.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 07:30:32 pm »

Young is overrated in discussing college basketball these days. How old is WKU痴 big?

jst01

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 07:35:13 pm »

Young is overrated in discussing college basketball these days. How old is WKU痴 big?

Bassey made Gafford look like a freshman newb

k.c.hawg

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 07:57:47 pm »

Bassey was a considerably higher rated prospect than Gafford. Odds are he will actually be a one and done.

Charles Bassey
Height: 6-11
Weight: 225
College: Western Kentucky
Classification: Freshman
Birthdate: 10/28/2000
Projected Draft Range: Lottery

k.c.hawg

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 08:11:09 pm »

Bassey made Gafford look like a freshman newb

Yep:

Bassy      7-11 FG      7-8 FT        9 Reb        1 Asst        5 blocks

Gafford    7-12 FG      3-3 FT        9 Reb        1 Asst        2 blocks

Utter domination. Dude abused Gafford for 4 more free throws. Now I will be the first to admit Gafford looked lethargic this game and last really but I don't know what he is going through. But you nailed thais evaluation on the head.

checkraiser88

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 08:12:14 pm »

Yep:

Bassy      7-11 FG      7-8 FT        9 Reb        1 Asst        5 blocks

Gafford    7-12 FG      3-3 FT        9 Reb        1 Asst        2 blocks

Utter domination.

rofl

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 08:13:24 pm »

Bassey was a considerably higher rated prospect than Gafford. Odds are he will actually be a one and done.

Charles Bassey
Height: 6-11
Weight: 225
College: Western Kentucky
Classification: Freshman
Birthdate: 10/28/2000
Projected Draft Range: Lottery

Thanks for illustrating the point further about youth. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 08:16:30 pm »

Thanks for illustrating the point further about youth. 

Right. I never saw a lottery projection on Daniel Gafford coming out of High School/Prep School. Dude was a 2x All American at the highest level.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 08:17:38 pm »

Right. I never saw a lottery projection on Daniel Gafford coming out of High School/Prep School. Dude was a 2x All American at the highest level.

I think you are trying argue something I知 not. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 08:19:03 pm »

I think you are trying argue something I知 not. 

I apologize, I see your point.

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »

I'm going to say this and I will be done.  The Hogs slipped on their
defensive intensity.  This team is good.  You don't have to have Duke
across your chest to realize we got punched in the face over and over.  We weren't
ready for it as I wasn't either.  Remember this game.  They will be in the dance.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 09:05:11 pm »

What happened to you?

I have just concluded people get what they deserve.

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 04:45:42 am »

This team has lots of potential ahead, a loss like this will motivate an prepare the team for better days. We should all know this is not a top tier at this point, however there is a chance they become one. Great kids, go hogs.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • My boys at the Grove are going for two in a row
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 08:13:02 am »

Agree....the problem is that we began taking it to the cup about 10 minutes too late....everyone except Joe needs to take it to the basket if they miss 3 fg attempts behind the 3 point line...we have the athletic ability go get to the rim anytime we so choose.

ad: The last play call concerns me because the officials put .8 seconds on the clock(making 1.8 seconds in which to shoot) and I'm not sure Mike was aware of this by calling for a lob to the middle against their bigs. Hindsight is 20-20 I realize this, but we had time to get the ball to Joe or one of the other guards who had enough time to give a head fake (if needed) and get off a high percentage 15 to 18 footer. Oh well, not a big deal. WKU is good and they won't play a better game all season than they played today. We are just fine, Hog 'cage' fans. We are just fine.

JackJohnson

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 08:17:00 am »

I am too.  We can稚 expect to out coach someone rick stansbury  at a powerhouse school like western Kentucky when he has had several More years to build his program then mike

Give mike time!!!!!

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • My boys at the Grove are going for two in a row
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 09:46:05 am »

I am too.  We can稚 expect to out coach someone rick stansbury  at a powerhouse school like western Kentucky when he has had several More years to build his program then mike

Give mike time!!!!!
So I guess you would fire Calipari (UK lost) and Mike White (UF) as both lost at home yesterday. Have you ever played basketball ? The great equilizer is the 3 point line and WKU was wearing it out yesterday. Believe it or not Gafford had two bigs going against him yesterday and he needed help with defense in the paint. So it left one person open yesterday on every WKU possession and they had 4 guys who were making 3's yesterday, we had one. Sometimes you get beat by a good team that gets very hot. That's what happened to the Hogs yesterday. We will be just fine. I say we will be a #5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Yes, I believe in these youngsters that much.

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 09:54:20 am »

This is a opportunity for this team to grow. Refocus and get back to what was working. This team has to play hard to be successful. The intensity wasn't there until they went down 8 in the second half. By that time WKU was confident and it was going to be a dog fight. WKU just had the biggest dog in the fight. Our dog decided to flop with the game on the line.

JackJohnson

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 09:56:55 am »

So I guess you would fire Calipari (UK lost) and Mike White (UF) as both lost at home yesterday. Have you ever played basketball ? The great equilizer is the 3 point line and WKU was wearing it out yesterday. Believe it or not Gafford had two bigs going against him yesterday and he needed help with defense in the paint. So it left one person open yesterday on every WKU possession and they had 4 guys who were making 3's yesterday, we had one. Sometimes you get beat by a good team that gets very hot. That's what happened to the Hogs yesterday. We will be just fine. I say we will be a #5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Yes, I believe in these youngsters that much.

What has Cal and White done NCAA tournament wise compared to Mike? I.e. have they built up some equity for their fans to be forgiving?  Has mike in his 8 years?

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 09:58:17 am »

I feel the 4 has been good so far. Having zero production seems to be the rarity. Bench should improve too. They were impressive at CSU in their first road game.

Breems

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 11:27:22 am »

I feel the 4 has been good so far. Having zero production seems to be the rarity. Bench should improve too. They were impressive at CSU in their first road game.

Bailey has given me reason to believe that he'll be serviceable this year. Gabe hasn't. I like Chaney but figure he'll be Gafford's sub most of the time.

Hogmatic

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 11:36:57 am »

We do it after timeouts all the time.

swineology

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 11:40:20 am »

FT Shooting can improve, we need more set plays instead of waiting for someone to make something happen.

You haven't watched much of CMA style of play have you?

LOL

Hogmatic

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 11:40:47 am »

This is a opportunity for this team to grow. Refocus and get back to what was working. This team has to play hard to be successful. The intensity wasn't there until they went down 8 in the second half. By that time WKU was confident and it was going to be a dog fight. WKU just had the biggest dog in the fight. Our dog decided to flop with the game on the line.

The refs let it get way too physical in the paint so Daniel should have adjusted from trying to get a foul on them.  The refs didn't call fouls and swallowed their whistles most of the game so it wasn't going to change late.

Mike should have raised heck and gotten a T to draw attention to the physical play in the paint...and elsewhere.  WKU was fouling hard at many spots.   

Hogmatic

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2018, 11:45:57 am »

You haven't watched much of CMA style of play have you?

LOL

I have but the past excuses have always been that he doesn't have his players for this style. Well, he has the players and they look good.  Now it is time to adjust and fine tune like NR would.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2018, 11:50:57 am »

Ain't gonna happen because, as you already know, we run a motion offense, ha ha ha.

swineology

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2018, 11:57:45 am »

I have but the past excuses have always been that he doesn't have his players for this style. Well, he has the players and they look good.  Now it is time to adjust and fine tune like NR would.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I was all in when Mike was hired. I've since soured on him for the reason listed above.
I'm afraid the game has passed him by.

It would make me very happy to see him make the Tourney with this team.

Hogmatic

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2018, 12:06:24 pm »

Ain't gonna happen because, as you already know, we run a motion offense, ha ha ha.

We run set plays all the time after a timeout so why not have the PG call one when the flow breaks down?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2018, 12:37:16 pm »

And as we have seen repeatedly in end game situations that motion offense got them a shot with a guard driving into the tree where he had nothing.

Hogmatic

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »

We need CMA to succeed and morph his style to meet today's rules and environment.  CMA is stubborn to a fault that he won't adjust until the team loses so many games in Jan and Feb that post season is in jeopardy.  Only then does he adjust to zone and matchup zone which has been very effective the last 3 years in his Feb adjustments.   

This year we have better defenders than we have had for a long time so CMA needs to make some changes.   Match up zone keeps Gafford under the basket, reduces bad switches from man, and we don't leave someone wide open on traps.  Match up zone has saved our seasons every february the last 3 years.

-The easiest and quickest fix would be Free throw shooting which has led to 2 losses.  The coaches need to get the player's attention. 

- The traps and switches are still a problem.  Gafford gets pulled away from the basket and Bassey was defended by a guard way too much.   The cylinder or halo rules will have the same neutering effect on traps that the hand check rule did to NR/CMA痴 core style.   We have better defenders this year with better BB IQ but the traps are a waste against good teams.

- We have 3 guys pressing which leaves us susceptible to 3 on 2 situations or very open 3痴.  Once again this is a part of CMAs scheme that doesn稚 work very well against the good teams.  We can稚 press when we aren't scoring so our problem continues to be bad defense when we don't make a shot.  We are a thinking press and not organized in ANY way if we miss and they get the rebound.

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2018, 02:48:05 pm »

Unrealistic fans think there team should never lose, guess what for ever win sombody takes a loss, Mike  runs a stellar program, great guy, has great kids an is a winner.

jst01

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2018, 02:54:25 pm »

Unrealistic fans think there team should never lose, guess what for ever win sombody takes a loss, Mike  runs a stellar program, great guy, has great kids an is a winner.

What has he won at AR?

Hogmatic

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 03:34:40 pm »

Harris is the surprise of this team for me because he is making everyone better and it shows the impact from too few point guards over the last few years.

Mason is the next biggest surprise on this team for me.

The freshman act more mature than I expected.

Bailey is better than I expected.

We will take another step up if:
-Gabe gets more consistent and better in the half court game.  Gabe is more comfortable in the open court game so he falls off in the half court.  His decision making is not good in half court and he kind of panics on passes.
-Chaney continues to play more to rest Gafford, work on his all around game for when he replaces GD and stay consistent.   Chaney needs to keep doing what he is doing, but his most important job is to let Gafford sit. 
-Sills is coming into his own as an all-around guard that play point, defend, shoot, drive to the basket.
-Embery Simpson seems to be coming into his own as well as Sills.
-Phillips could be the Wild card to improvement because he has that athletic 6-7 versatility.
-Henderson needs to eat a cheeseburger and fries and hit the weights.

sadhogfan

• Senior
  • Injecting reason into HV discussions since 2007.
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 04:14:06 pm »

This seems foolish. Prior to this game, Bailey was averaging 10.9 ppg, which is decent production from the 4. We have had good games off the bench from Chaney, Embery-Simpson, and Sills, and it seems likely to be that this will continue in spurts.

The FT shooting is problematic. Other than that, your post seemsoff.

Razorod

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2018, 04:33:02 pm »

The next four games provide a good opportunity to have extended practice time (couple of one-week gaps between games) and blow-out opportunities to get the second unit some playing time. Don't think many beyond the top nine got in much this past week.

It would be nice to see Phillips get some extended minutes and gain some confidence. Gabe needs to figure out his role and play within himself. He can help, but "a man's gotta know his limitations."

If the rotation stays as is or if Anderson has to shrink it even more, some of our key players are going to wear down during the SEC portion of the schedule.

hawginTN

• Band Nerd
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2018, 05:07:59 pm »

This is still going to be a good team. It's maybe the best team talent wise we've seen on the hill in a while.  Hopefully it'll be a great season. It's already surpassed what I thought we'd be. Considering the roster turnover.

MA has done a good job assembling this team.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas