• 10,016,012 Posts
• 401,474 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy Katz!  (Read 2834 times)

BannerMountainMan

Andy Katz!
« on: December 07, 2018, 09:35:42 am »

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Andy Katz!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 09:47:29 am »

Like an unknown stock, the insiders are starting to buy... matter of time before the voters get the message now..

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogfan14

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:02:52 am »

Cart way ahead of the horse, but if we somehow made the elite 8 in Kansas City the place would be a sea of red

phadedhawg

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:40:42 am »

Nice that the kids are getting noticed for their early season efforts.  I will keep banging the same "we won't know anything until SEC play" drum. 

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:43:13 am »

Another cart way in front of the horse question, but would you rather have the 7 seed and play in Tulsa and then possibly KC, or have a 6 seed and play in Des Moines and then possibly KC?

Granted, the difference in the 2nd game is a 2 seed in Tulsa vs. a 3 seed in DMI.

Tulsa would be almost like a home court unless Kansas was indeed the 2 seed.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:45:40 am »

Nice that the kids are getting noticed for their early season efforts.  I will keep banging the same "we won't know anything until SEC play" drum.
Iím sorry to tell you but Texas and Indiana are better than 8 SEC teams right now, and we are just going to get better, Mikeís teams always do.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:49:01 am »

I think we have an idea now of our team.  I don't think we have an idea yet how it compares to what are considered the upper tier teams this season and won't till after the TT game.  We will have played 6 SEC games including LSU and at Tennessee and then at Texas Tech.  The W/L record should be solid to impressive but we'll know then how much substance is in it and can start to discuss seeding and dreaming of locations (Tulsa then KC) with something behind it. 

That would be a great Sw 16.  Duke and KU vs Hogs.  Playing KU in KC wouldn't be much fun in terms of crowd.  Now if KU were to do their choke they have done in the past, would be lots of tickets to be had. 

Arazorbackguy1

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:59 am »

Iím sorry to tell you but Texas and Indiana are better than 8 SEC teams right now, and we are just going to get better, Mikeís teams always do.

Disagree on Texas. They will be looking for a new coach for next season.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 11:04:58 am »

Disagree on Texas. They will be looking for a new coach for next season.

Maybe, could be two years.. if they're still mediocre and TT continues to progress, they want look far...

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 11:27:15 am »

Has Arkansas a 6 seed in the Midwest
https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1071063017155117056

When the preseason sec projections came out, I said Iíll believe Ms. St., LSU and Vandy finish above us when it actually happens.  Katz agrees

phadedhawg

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 11:32:30 am »

Maybe those teams are better but it doesn't mean we will be successful in conference play.  I'm not sure if it's the familiarity, the crowds, or the officiating but when SEC play starts I often fail to recognize the team we saw in the first month of the season. 

Not sure if I can agree that Mike's teams always get better.  With a senior lead team, we got blasted by a 10 seed in the first round of the NCAA tourney last year. 

All that negativity aside, I think our fortunes are looking up.  Going into this season we had to wonder if Gafford would have any help.  The new kids have chipped in a lot of production. 

311Hog

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 11:36:35 am »

it is totally possible i am wrong about this, and given the "nature" of being a hog fan i wouldn't be surprised if i was, but something about this team feels different.  I feel like they have "gelled' what ever you want to call it better than previous ones, they appear to have found and embrace their roles, sure they are young and will improve and i am not saying Ship or bust, but watching them play so far outside of the FT's it is calming for the first time in along time.

I would love so much if they got in to the big dance in tulsa that barely over an hour from here, and KC would be amazing as well.

Got to go to Omaha for the first time this year, and if they play in Tulsa i will definitely be there.

DenaoStyle

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 12:19:09 pm »

Maybe those teams are better but it doesn't mean we will be successful in conference play.  I'm not sure if it's the familiarity, the crowds, or the officiating but when SEC play starts I often fail to recognize the team we saw in the first month of the season. 

Not sure if I can agree that Mike's teams always get better.  With a senior lead team, we got blasted by a 10 seed in the first round of the NCAA tourney last year. 

All that negativity aside, I think our fortunes are looking up.  Going into this season we had to wonder if Gafford would have any help.  The new kids have chipped in a lot of production. 

Yea we always seem to stumble out of the gates when SEC play starts.  Then we get on a run and finish above .500.  Hopefully we start strong this year...first three games (from what I can remember) look very winnable.

BJJHog

• Varsity
  • "The greatest hold is conditioning." Karl Gotch
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 12:25:59 pm »

Cart way ahead of the horse, but if we somehow made the elite 8 in Kansas City the place would be a sea of red

That would be a dream location.  Great city, great amount of UA students and alumni, great venue, and great nostalgic B-ball town.  Great food; BBQ, Bristol's, and the Hereford House.

BJJHog

• Varsity
  • "The greatest hold is conditioning." Karl Gotch
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 12:27:13 pm »

it is totally possible i am wrong about this, and given the "nature" of being a hog fan i wouldn't be surprised if i was, but something about this team feels different.  I feel like they have "gelled' what ever you want to call it better than previous ones, they appear to have found and embrace their roles, sure they are young and will improve and i am not saying Ship or bust, but watching them play so far outside of the FT's it is calming for the first time in along time.

I would love so much if they got in to the big dance in tulsa that barely over an hour from here, and KC would be amazing as well.

Got to go to Omaha for the first time this year, and if they play in Tulsa i will definitely be there.

Tulsa would be rockin'.  Maybe we could see Sticks from Live PD!

jchill

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:45 pm »

I agree! Let's not forget that two games (Texas and Indiana)  were indicative of how games will go in the SEC. Both games were close and went down to the wire. In the SEC, for the most part, this will be night in and night out. It's one thing to play Texas and Indiana close in nonconference with easy games in between, but to face that type of competition almost every game will truly let us know if this team is for real. I never played basketball at that level, but I've watched long enough to know that the grind of playing tough games back-back-back with a short turnaround can be tough for young players to overcome. However, it would not surprise me if this group finishes 12-6 or 13-5 in conference play. If we finish 10-8, I still think it's a successful year for a team that had a major overhaul.

Lud42

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 12:53:24 pm »

6-1 right now and I could see the rest of the season shaking out similiar to:

W- W. Kentucky
W- UTSA
W- Georgia Tech
W- Texas St.
W- Austin Peay
W- @ aTm
W- Florida
?-  LSU
L- @Tenn
W-@ Ole Miss
W- Mizzou
L- @ Tex Tech
W- Georgia
L- @ LSU
W- Vandy
W-@ S. Carolina
W-@ Mizzou
W- Miss St.
L- @ Auburn
W- aTm
L- @ Kentucky
L- @Miss St.
?- @ Vandy
W- Bama

That's 22-7 with two toss ups for either 22-9 or 24-7. I think that either of those records would firmly put us in the tourney and if we manage 24 wins before the SEC tourney we might be looking at a 4 or 5 seed.

WAYYYYY too early, I know (heck I only had them winning 15 to 19 games prior to the season), but looking at how the rest of the SEC has fared so far I'm not sure that this is too far off. Having to play at Auburn, Kentucky, and MSU to close the season out will be brutal. We need to make sure we take care of business against aTm, Vandy, and Bama because we could also play ourselves right out of a bid at the end of the season.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:15 pm »

it would not surprise me if this group finishes 12-6 or 13-5 in conference play. If we finish 10-8, I still think it's a successful year for a team that had a major overhaul.

Most reasonable minds thought 18-19 wins and anything better than 8 sec wins was gravy... didn't take long to ratchet up expectations...

PowderedToastMan

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »

Texas has lost 3 in a row to Michigan St., Radford, and VCU. They play Sunday against Purdue, so they could be looking at 4 in a row.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 01:36:21 pm »

Texas has lost 3 in a row to Michigan St., Radford, and VCU. They play Sunday against Purdue, so they could be looking at 4 in a row.

Texas has talent. Majorly underachieving with it. Shaka's seat could be warming. Keeps getting top recruits though so I think he will be given time to coach Baker and the others. If he can't win with them, he's out of there.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 02:58:06 pm »

How bad would we have to finish to miss the tournament? Any guesses?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 03:29:19 pm »

How bad would we have to finish to miss the tournament? Any guesses?
19-12 8-10

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:01 pm »

Harris...reminds me a lot of Beck in his mental makeup and take an almost immediate leadership role with this team. He is the floor general we've needed since Beck.

realistichog

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 09:06:14 pm »

I donít know if the record will indicate it but to my eye this team is better than last year. They play better on ball defense and most importantly this team is unselfish. Itís now pass pass pass, no more dribbling for 25 seconds then putting up a junk shot.

trphog

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:40:09 pm »

Katz is clueless. He has us playing NC State and everyone knows we'll play UNC or we won't play at all. #getaclueandrew

mykidsdad

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 10:04:45 pm »

Katz is clueless. He has us playing NC State and everyone knows we'll play UNC or we won't play at all. #getaclueandrew

You are absolutely correct. I think that there is actually a selection committee statute to that effect.

seasonhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 10:44:45 pm »

6-1 right now and I could see the rest of the season shaking out similiar to:

W- W. Kentucky
W- UTSA
W- Georgia Tech
W- Texas St.
W- Austin Peay
W- @ aTm
W- Florida
?-  LSU
L- @Tenn
W-@ Ole Miss
W- Mizzou
L- @ Tex Tech
W- Georgia
L- @ LSU
W- Vandy
W-@ S. Carolina
W-@ Mizzou
W- Miss St.
L- @ Auburn
W- aTm
L- @ Kentucky
L- @Miss St.
?- @ Vandy
W- Bama

That's 22-7 with two toss ups for either 22-9 or 24-7. I think that either of those records would firmly put us in the tourney and if we manage 24 wins before the SEC tourney we might be looking at a 4 or 5 seed.

WAYYYYY too early, I know (heck I only had them winning 15 to 19 games prior to the season), but looking at how the rest of the SEC has fared so far I'm not sure that this is too far off. Having to play at Auburn, Kentucky, and MSU to close the season out will be brutal. We need to make sure we take care of business against aTm, Vandy, and Bama because we could also play ourselves right out of a bid at the end of the season.

This team has the looks of a final four team in two years, if only we could have Gafford the next two.

seasonhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 10:54:40 pm »

Harris...reminds me a lot of Beck in his mental makeup and take an almost immediate leadership role with this team. He is the floor general we've needed since Beck.

Agree;

IF he is Beck like, this team will go places....

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 10:33:31 am »

I pray we are good enough to be sent here to Tulsa. Dream come true.

latrops

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 10:44:05 am »

Nice to be off to a good start.  Still, smart to not get too excited just yet.  Have to see how we handle the consistency of solid or better competition that comes in league play...true road games in particular.

We are 1-1 against major competition.  Both games could have gone either way.  Things look promising, but we just don't know for sure yet.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 11:22:23 am »

Andy Katz said that if Arkansas sweeps this week then they will move on up from his #28 ranking in the Power 36, huge game!

Dominicanhog

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 11:30:44 am »

19-12 8-10

With this record we'd have a chance in the SECT to play our way in... 1 win probably..2 wins definitely... 21 wins at anytime and we are in..... worst case, 19 wins after the sect is 50/50...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 04:36:03 pm »

Today was a bad loss. W Kentucky is not good
Tell that to WVU

Breems

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 04:41:56 pm »

Welcome back to Earth, everyone! It was a fun ride up there.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 04:43:27 pm »

Welcome back to Earth, everyone! It was a fun ride up there.
Welcome back to hogville sensitive mods too. Posts are leaving for no reason.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 04:47:49 pm »

Welcome back to hogville sensitive mods too. Posts are leaving for no reason.
probably because when we win none of these guys are posting at all, but when we lose they go straight to the coach and not the players.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 05:33:38 pm »

probably because when we win none of these guys are posting at all, but when we lose they go straight to the coach and not the players.

Get after the players Banner. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 05:35:08 pm »

WKU has a good chance to win their conference and make tourney. It was not an awful loss.  Weíre okay. 

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »

WKU has a good chance to win their conference and make tourney. It was not an awful loss.  Weíre okay.

I agree we are ok, but I disagree about it being an awful loss. Admittedly, my standards are different. Any loss at home to an unranked team, I consider it a bad loss. Any road/neutral site loss to a team under .500, I consider it a bad loss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas