• 10,016,011 Posts
• 401,475 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watch: Mike Neighbors previews Abilene Christian Game  (Read 581 times)

Jason Carroll

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: Watch: Mike Neighbors previews Abilene Christian Game
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »

ďIím in absolute awe of anyone who can graduate from any university, let alone this one, in 3.5 years because it took me twice that long.Ē 🤣🤣

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 06:56:19 pm »

some thoughts on the upcoming game and common opponents (opponent's opponents).  Our one common opponent is Tulsa.  Tulsa is 5-4 and plays in the same conference as UCONN.  Tulsa beat AC by 13 with the game being played at Tulsa.  Tulsa also beat ORU earlier this year down at the Maybe Center by eight. 

We beat them (ORU) by 13 at our place.  Comparison wise, just another reason to be leary of them and take nothing for granted.  It might also be a good reason to be leary of Tulsa later this month when we come over here (my here, Tulsa) to play them.  I am glad of our added emphasis on defense as well.

Hope these links work. 

http://southlanddigitalnetwork.com/

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=239455

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:31:26 pm by flippinhogmana »

flippinhogmana

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:45:41 pm »

I thought it was also revealing to find out how much Shaeffer is in charge of defense - in so much that our increased emphasis is from his urging - and that our entire defense for the AC game he is installing while Mike is out recruiting.  hmmm.  I have been aware of how much some ACs are responsible for some compartments of the game (LBBF will tell you Nikki Cullen should have been equally responsible our defense back in their time here), but as long as the team buys into it (and they appeared to for the last game) it will still work for our betterment. 

But then an artful block without contact has always been a thing of beauty for me anyway!

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:54:52 pm »

A little bird told me that Mike was down in Ft Smith watching Payton Verhulst tonight (and may have been there much of the day, too). Miege beat Howe from OK by double digits, and it would have been more if Howe hadnít connected on some prayer shots from beyond the arc. Payton looked every bit the blue chipper, putting in 30+ pts. Miege was just too big for Howe. Ashton Verhulst (a KSU 2020 commit) and the other Miege post were also pretty dominant. Howe had a little PG who was shooting 3ís from NBA range and making a good number of them.

FYI - the Ft Smith tournament is streaming some of the games at www.thesouthsidemavericks.com.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 04:26:36 am »

It looks like the weather pattern will be (the snow, ice part) will be mainly north of Abilene on Saturday, Saturday night.  While there is a ninety percent chance of precipitation, its shows to be rain only.

Their two main scorers are a guard (Dominque Golightly who scored 24 against us last year at our place, but is average only 13 ppg so far this year) and a 6-1 forward Makala Mabry, a sophomore (who had eleven points and nine boards against us last year as a freshman). 

They have a sophomore 6-4 center who appears decent as well in Lexi Kirgan and another 6-3 senior center from Africa.  Overall they are taller than us with several players 6-1 or taller as well. 

They have two players Sara Williamson (junior, 10 ppg) and Breanna Wright (point guard, 14ppg) who average in double figures.    In summary they have five players that average 9.5 ppg or better and who play the vast majority of the minutes played.  Run through them and it would look like we put it on them.  That is what Tulsa did.  They were tied at half, but Tulsa beat them each of the last two quarters by about half a dozen and got the 12 point win.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:48:37 am by flippinhogmana »

flippinhogmana

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 05:07:45 am »

Here is a write up and preview from their school site.  NOTE THE ONE PM SATURDAY START TIME!!!!!

https://acusports.com/news/2018/12/6/womens-basketball-razorbacks-roll-into-town-for-2018-christmas-slam.aspx
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:03:29 pm by flippinhogmana »

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 08:50:27 am »

Using your top assistant as your defensive coordinator is a Gary Blair thing.  He did it with Tom Collen and Vic Schaffer - also his current one who came from LSU.  Collen did it with Niki except at the end at the SEC tournament when they were fighting over decisions that cost him his job.  Watch timeouts at games and you will see that Schafer spends more time with the team than Mike most of the time.  As a former head coach - that is a tough thing to do - requires a lot of confidence and trust in your assistant.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 08:14:13 pm »

I hope the Abilene colosseum is nothing like the colosseum we played in at Nashville.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 10:30:34 pm »

From twitter, it looks a lot better than  Nashville was described by LBBF!  Its not the Bud but it looks acceptible plus it will be in daylight so it should be easier to adapt shooting to.  Maybe a different look will help Alexis especially.

https://twitter.com/RazorbackWBB

flippinhogmana

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 08:32:21 am »

If you have direct tv like I have out of Tulsa, the game is listed on channel 623 (ELVN).  That doesn't mean I can record it or access it.  It may be available in my package or not, but I just thought I would offer it as a possibility. It does look like the school site is going to allow both direct video download and life stats so I will depend on the video from there to start.

CandleStick

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 10:52:01 am »

If you have direct tv like I have out of Tulsa, the game is listed on channel 623 (ELVN).  That doesn't mean I can record it or access it.  It may be available in my package or not, but I just thought I would offer it as a possibility. It does look like the school site is going to allow both direct video download and life stats so I will depend on the video from there to start.

If you go to the ladybacks twitter and click on the tv link for todayís game it pulls up a live stream for the game.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 11:36:56 am »

The game will be on the Southland Conference app which is free.  If you have a smart tv, you can add this app to your tv.  If you do not have a smart tv, but you have a ROKU which you can add to your TV for about $40 - one time charge at Walmart - you can add the app to ROKU which I have and have done.  I will watch the game on my 65" TV for free.  I love technology - if it only was easier to figure out for us older folks.  GO HOGS.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 11:55:47 am »

I guess my 20 inch computer monitor or 60 inch non-smart tv will have to do this time (after some of these away games with next to no broadcast even that much is appreciated), but I will see the Hogs live with some of you at the Reynolds Center on the 20th!

CandleStick

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 01:04:11 pm »

Not looking like the crowd made it to the game. Definitely a plus for us.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 01:56:25 pm »

They are definitely trying to take away Chelsea! 1 point in the first half, but I am not worried about her.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 04:44:55 pm »

Looks as though Monk and mainly Tolefree woke up today. 80-68 win for Arkansas as Tolefree had 21 and Monk 18. Williams chipped in 12

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 02:54:34 pm »

Yesterday's game was won with our speed and conditioning - also our bench.  Their game plan was to not let Chelsea beat us and they took us out of that option.  She got off only 9 shots and some of those were quick 3 pointers which were not our best shot in the 3rd quarter.  Fortunately every one else was playing very well.  Besides the mentioned scoring, Williams had 11 rebounds and Thomas played her best game of the year with 12 points on 5 of 6 shooting while making both of her free throws.  They basically only used six players  with 4 players playing 33, 38, 39 & 40 minutes.  We ran them out of the gym in the fourth quarter.  Thomas and Williams share the minutes almost equally while A'T gives Monk a good 14-15 minutes to rest.  BZ subs for Tolefree, Mason and Dungee - giving them the rest that they need and provides a offensive rebounding spark by keeping offensive balls that miss the basket a live.  We could have scored a lot more than 80 but basically played the shot clock the last 4 minutes after building a quick 18 point lead in the 4th quarter.  I do not think that we scored a point after the 4 minute mark of the 4th quarter.  Considering that ACU had been holding their opponents to 51 points per game - getting 80 with Chelsea having an off shooting game was impressive.  The gym definitely did not look like a good place to play with all seating up above the floor in what I would call the balcony or mezzanine - at least 10' off the floor level.  After finals this coming week we start with a win then face two tough opponents - Nebraska at home and then Tulsa on the road - all in five days before the Christmas break.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 03:36:10 pm »

I want to applaud everyone for all the good info posted in this forum. Special kudos go to flippin, LadybackBBFan, and psycHOGlogist for their input.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 05:17:31 pm »

After finals this coming week we start with a win then face two tough opponents - Nebraska at home and then Tulsa on the road - all in five days before the Christmas break.  By my count, Its actually slightly worse than that Coach if you back up one game:  Dec 16th Prairie View (our true laugher that you already rang up a win for), NE on the 18th (at least its at our place) and on the 20th a true trap game out here in Tulsa against a team a lot better than their record.  I hope it not being the third game in four days, on the road and looking at their won/loss record doesnt keep them from getting plenty of rest in the NE game (if they can) and playing some extra players mainly in both games.

The AC game highlighted the value of having three good scorers (I imagine the AC coach didnt anticipate Tolefree coming back strong in that game though).  Even if you totally shut down one, the other two are much harder to hold down as a result.  AT (with seven and some good minutes helped too).  But having our two post players play well and chip in double digit points will be crucial in a lot of big games as well down the stretch in such a scenario.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:40:02 pm by flippinhogmana »

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »

Siap somewhere but where is Northcross-Baker and Swenson this year?

flippinhogmana

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 10:18:06 pm »

RNB is simply being outplayed and Swenson had foot injuries that were corrected with surgery.  She was already graduated anyway and is medically retired.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 04:55:31 pm »

RNB is in a #'s game.  Coach is not comfortable going beyond 8 players.  We have 8 who all are playing well.  in all close games, you will not see her or Rokia or Macy as long as those in front of them are getting the job done.  Next year we will even have more players on the bench that will need to play as we are adding six good players and only loosing two that are playing significant time right now.  This problem is why a lot of transfers occur from programs that have a lot of good players.  I think that will eventually happen to us as we continue to improve our talent under Mike.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 05:44:58 pm »

Thanks for the responses.

CandleStick

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 05:46:01 pm »

RNB is in a #'s game.  Coach is not comfortable going beyond 8 players.  We have 8 who all are playing well.  in all close games, you will not see her or Rokia or Macy as long as those in front of them are getting the job done.  Next year we will even have more players on the bench that will need to play as we are adding six good players and only loosing two that are playing significant time right now.  This problem is why a lot of transfers occur from programs that have a lot of good players.  I think that will eventually happen to us as we continue to improve our talent under Mike.

Iím hoping we get to the point where we can red shirt a kid or two every year that has a lot of potential. Looking like a red shirt year could of helped Rokia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas