• 10,016,013 Posts
• 401,474 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a confessional  (Read 2659 times)

feral boar

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
a confessional
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:57:04 pm »

never been a big fan of mike. on a personal basis he appears to be a great guy. but his teams just seemed to be trying to think and run. no real flow to the game just starts and stops he seemed to be over-coaching at times.

this team has a different look and feel so far. it may sound strange but its like they have no conscience it allows them to play free. not afraid.

while his other teams were athletic this one seems to mix that with basketball skill.

its been a few years since i've followed the bskb team closely. hopefully this one keeps up what they're doing. bskb used to be the favorite.

hawg66

Re: a confessional
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:07:20 pm »

Confession is good for the soul. Keep watching. I think this team is going to be the perfect antidote for the sad football season.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Breems

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »

You're seeing a team with far less "role-players," i.e. players with no discernible skills. Players that actually have a goal in mind when they get the basketball. Makes a big difference.

Swinesong1

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:15:29 pm »

You're seeing a team with far less "role-players," i.e. players with no discernible skills. Players that actually have a goal in mind when they get the basketball. Makes a big difference.
Something that I've noticed this season and very much so last night is Anderson seems to be allowing every player to have the "green light" without fear of being pulled.  It seems to free this young team up to be themselves while remaining in the framework of the motion offense.  No one is hunting for shots.  Well, Gafford does at times.  But, I'm not complaining.

razorback1829

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 01:47:22 pm »

Something that I've noticed this season and very much so last night is Anderson seems to be allowing every player to have the "green light" without fear of being pulled.  It seems to free this young team up to be themselves while remaining in the framework of the motion offense.  No one is hunting for shots.  Well, Gafford does at times.  But, I'm not complaining.

I donít mind Gafford getting shots up at all.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 01:49:02 pm »

It all starts with one thing....a true Point Guard. We finally have one.

Swinesong1

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:49:53 pm »

I donít mind Gafford getting shots up at all.
Oh, I don't mind.  I just think he tends to force things when he hasn't had a shot in a couple of trips.  It's like he predetermines he's going to shoot before he even gets the ball.  I understand his frustration tho. 

razorback1829

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:56:05 pm »

Oh, I don't mind.  I just think he tends to force things when he hasn't had a shot in a couple of trips.  It's like he predetermines he's going to shoot before he even gets the ball.  I understand his frustration tho.

Haha yea he does. The guards were hot last nite and left open. Still gotta let big boy touch that rock.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 02:02:45 pm »

Yeah on Garlands live story last night, Gafford said ďwish coach Anderson wouldíve left me in to get two more rebounds for a double doubleĒ so yeah he prolly wants his stats but heís a lottery pick so he should, and then you could hear Bailey said, ďman all that matters is we got that dubĒ

bhogs05

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:13:25 pm »

I'll admit I have been tough on Mike at times and honestly I was thinking this season was going to be a rebuilding year but as of now they are looking really good. They play as a team, move and cut more, play solid defense, no ego's, good basketball IQ, have several shooters.  I think the biggest thing is having a good PG and who is willing to find his teammates for open looks unlike the past couple years where our PG just wanted to play one on one and force shots especially late in the shot clock.  Macon was a good player but he just wasn't the right PG for Mike's system.  It's still early and I expect them to have some back to earth moments in conference play but I think we have a very solid team.  Kuddos to Mike for that. 

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:36:08 pm »

The ego's are out of the locker room. Last year was a rough year for Mike and the coaching staff. Having this new group has been like a fresh start for Mike and the coaching staff.

Razorpigg

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 02:39:03 pm »

And its very refreshing too.  Might be one of the fastest we have ever had with the ball in his hands too. Lightning quick.

trok24

• Bench Warmer
  • not size of hog n the fite but size of fite n hog
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 02:41:28 pm »

I agree with all the above...Harris is a true point guard..i have to admit and please you all as well? Mason Jones has a good a basketball IQ as a newcomer as Scotty Thurman was a frosh.  Isaiah Joe is a star in the making.Sills/Embry Simpson look better and better each game, make winning plays and dont hurt you ..i loved Macon/Barford/Beard but i'm not sure we arent a better TEAM without them..just my 2cents

razorback1829

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 07:11:03 pm »

The ego's are out of the locker room. Last year was a rough year for Mike and the coaching staff. Having this new group has been like a fresh start for Mike and the coaching staff.

Arazorbackguy1

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:35:24 pm »

I think the defense is stingy and will wear teams out.  They are long and quick, which is something we havenít had in awhile.  Every player on the floor is tenacious and wants to disrupt, which hasnít always been the case. 

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:10 pm »

this new group is a breath of fresh air to this fan. 

fdx flyer

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:39 pm »

OP - I felt like that last night too.  Call it cautiously optimistic.  I've grown tired of getting my hopes up in recent years, only to be frustrated down the road.  I saw a lot of good things in that CSU game last night.   I saw a team not get rattled on the road after an opponent's run.  I saw a called play out of timeout that was executed well.  I saw hustle on the offensive boards.  I didn't see a lot of wide open defensive mistakes or a lot of selfish play.  Dare I say, we may have us a team...  a young one, but a team nonetheless! 

BigHog396

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 10:56:01 pm »

OP - I felt like that last night too.  Call it cautiously optimistic.  I've grown tired of getting my hopes up in recent years, only to be frustrated down the road.  I saw a lot of good things in that CSU game last night.   I saw a team not get rattled on the road after an opponent's run.  I saw a called play out of timeout that was executed well.  I saw hustle on the offensive boards.  I didn't see a lot of wide open defensive mistakes or a lot of selfish play.  Dare I say, we may have us a team...  a young one, but a team nonetheless! 
I think a lot of us are in that cautiously optimistic mode, after having our hopes so routinely dashed over the last decade.  This group does definitely seem different than anything Mike has put on the court in his time here previous to this.  Their free throw shooting is still atrocious, but they definitely seem to be playing as more of a "team" than any we have had in years.  It will be interesting to see how they do after they start playing some real competition as we move in to conference play.  If nothing else, they look like they will be more fun to watch than anything we have had in a while.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 11-2 MWC Champions!!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:55 am »

need to rename the team "Fast and Furious 40"

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 06:23:53 am »

Yeah on Garlands live story last night, Gafford said ďwish coach Anderson wouldíve left me in to get two more rebounds for a double doubleĒ so yeah he prolly wants his stats but heís a lottery pick so he should, and then you could hear Bailey said, ďman all that matters is we got that dubĒ
Work a little harder when are in the game and you could avg..20 rpg..

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 08:47:37 am »

We play defense and we kind of have all the pieces.  We have a great big man with a few guys who can spell him.  We have shooters who will make you pay.  And we have a point guard to get it to them all.

This team could be REALLY good in todaysís game where there are no dominant junior and senior laden teams.  They are talented enough to have as good a chance as anyone else to get it together and go on a serious run.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 08:55:51 am »

These newcomers have played a lot of basketball games, between HS and AAU ball, by the time they get to campus.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 09:07:57 am »

I think the defense is stingy and will wear teams out.  They are long and quick, which is something we haven’t had in awhile.  Every player on the floor is tenacious and wants to disrupt, which hasn’t always been the case. 

It's far more difficult to wear a team down these days with the added time outs and rule changes. Now days teams need to execute their offense well and play solid defense. This Hog team is playing very well.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 09:09:37 am »

It's far more difficult to wear a team down these days with the added time outs and rule changes. Now days teams need to execute their offense well and play solid defense. This Hog team is playing very well.
not only is it to wear them down but the most part is it to speed them up and make them take unbalanced shots and be uncomfortable doing it.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:17:02 am »

not only is it to wear them down but the most part is it to speed them up and make them take unbalanced shots and be uncomfortable doing it.

It's more to get their opponents to speed up and take unbalance shots they are uncomfortable with than it is to wear them down. The days of the "Forty Minutes of hades" wearing teams down philosophy are long gone. As I said, there are too many time outs for that to work now as well as rule changes.

hawg66

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 09:43:57 am »

Work a little harder when are in the game and you could avg..20 rpg..
So youíve been watching Gafford this year?  And your take is that he needs to work harder?
SMH

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 10:09:46 am »

So youíve been watching Gafford this year?  And your take is that he needs to work harder?
SMH
For all his talent...he should be a little more on the boards....kick the ball out when he is doubled and tripled down low..force's too much...doesn't look like he worked on his jump shot this offseason....dunking alone will not be enough at the next level..

Dominicanhog

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 10:37:27 am »

Haha yea he does. The guards were hot last nite and left open. Still gotta let big boy touch that rock.

Pretty sure Mike want's it that way as well...

kingofdequeen

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 10:38:50 am »

If it's not in a Taxi Cab, who GAF?

Dominicanhog

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 10:51:13 am »

....dunking alone will not be enough at the next level..

I remember when Hakeem arrived in Houston, he could do nothing but block, slam, rebound.. became a prolific scorer while in the NBA.. Gafford is young..

hawg66

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 11:18:31 am »

Gafford played 22 minutes Wednesday. Probably his lowest number this year. I took it to mean he would have liked to play more.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 11:27:46 am »

If it's not in a Taxi Cab, who GAF?
I think one of those nerf baskets in a confessional would be kinda cool.  You know, work on your shot while getting a few things off your conscience.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:13 am »

Gafford played 22 minutes Wednesday. Probably his lowest number this year. I took it to mean he would have liked to play more.

He'll get a workout with Bassey. Good time for a double double there. It would mean more than feasting on some scrubs. Good call by Bailey. That's good leadership off the court.

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 03:07:55 pm »

I remember when Hakeem arrived in Houston, he could do nothing but block, slam, rebound.. became a prolific scorer while in the NBA.. Gafford is young..
I remember...Gafford has guard skills..would like to see more of an outside game...but dunks count....he has so much talent...at times he seems like he is just going thru the motion's...

niels_boar

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 04:34:59 pm »

CMA's teams here haven't been that athletic but have had plenty of basketball skills, which is why they have usually been been top-30 in offensive efficiency but 50+ in defensive efficiency.  This team so far has actually been his worst offensive team in the last five years through this point in the season.  Nonetheless, they definitely have the parts and potential to be as good offensively as any of those previous teams, maybe better. 

The big difference in this team so far is on defense.  We haven't had long guards starting, much less coming off the bench in previous years.  We haven't had defensive forwards as good as Bailey, Chaney, and Gabe as a set.  Only Kingsley rivals Gafford on D in the post.  We haven't had two PGs, usually not one, that have the speed and will to handle very quick opponents.  These youngsters are also showing more defensive IQ than most CMA teams.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:28 pm »

This is the most I have enjoyed Hogs hoops in a while. Last year was a special season but you knew there was a cap on how far we could go without a true PG. We may not win as many but wow, what a fun team to watch. The sky's the limit, and it should make it easier to recruit to the system now that players see it in action.

The speed of the game + pressure doesn't work like it used to, that is correct. But, it still pushes players off of their preferred spots for shots. It still puts the ball in the wrong players' hands in transition and in the backcourt. It still teases opponents into running and becoming reckless - worn out may not happen but the seduction to act like its a playground gym with chain link nets creates a lack of discipline that is hard to reel in.

I love this bunch. Can't wait to see every game. I'll be disappointed from time to time due to their youth but it is a joy when things work. Heck, I watched the CSU game again - its been a long time since I've done that. Qualls dunk to beat KY, maybe?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 12:41:40 pm »

It just seems to me that these guys are less prone to silly reach-in fouls forty feet from the basket than past teams.  Maybe they're just longer in wingspan, but it seems like they're in better defensive position all around.  Could be the competition so far.  Hoping they are truly better defenders period.  It will make a difference on the road again...

BigHog396

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »

Pump those breaks
This is the epitome of the get your hopes up, and then dash them.  Still suck at free throws, and it has now cost us both of the games we have lost.  You just can't let yourself lose a game to a team like this.  I know we're young, but good grief.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 04:45:42 pm »

I didnít get my hopes up. People have said the same thing the last two years. About how different this team is. Amazing how after 8 years of cma, people donít want to accept things for what they are.

We arenít and wonít be national contenders with cma. And Iíd love for that to be false, but it just isnít.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 04:55:51 pm »

We arenít and wonít be national contenders with cma. And Iíd love for that to be false, but it just isnít.
Making it out of the first weekend would be a start

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 09:52:42 pm »

Go back to see the priest!!

realistichog

• Varsity
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 10:18:35 pm »

I didnít get my hopes up. People have said the same thing the last two years. About how different this team is. Amazing how after 8 years of cma, people donít want to accept things for what they are.

Finally someone whoís been paying attention. Like you Iíve guit getting excited or angry because it is the same crappy coaching just a different day.

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2018, 10:19:05 am »

Texas loss 3-12
WKU loss 6-15

When the point guard shoots that much it is a problem.
A bigger problem when he shoots a poor %.

The job of the point guard is to distribute the ball, keep everyone in the game, get the ball to the scorers,
and rotate back on defense.

That did not happen in the two losses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas