• 10,015,616 Posts
• 401,459 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How bout them Cards!!  (Read 159 times)

BannerMountainMan

How bout them Cards!!
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:48:16 pm »

Getting Goldy👀👀 what’s stopping us now, let’s get Harper!!

GolfNut57

Re: How bout them Cards!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:00:13 pm »

Getting that guy is like covering a turd in rose petals. lol

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:05:00 pm »

Three good players and a draft pick in exchange for a one-season rental. Nice.

pignparadise

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 06:13:36 pm »

Goldy is a great guy. Everyone loves him here in the Desert. He will fall in love with StL. Trading for this established 1st base star reminds me of Orlando Cepeda and Jack Clark deals. Cards both times when to next 2 out 3 world series.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:51:43 am by pignparadise »

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 06:51:20 pm »

Great trade for the Cards.

One more bat.

popcornhog

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:29:32 pm »

It puts the Cardinals in a position to actually compete for the division this year though. And you have to assume they feel pretty good about re-signing him or they wouldn’t have done it.

This lineup is gonna be sick. A bat and a GG fielder at 1B will transform this team in a way that no other individual move could have.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:32:02 am »

Love it. Especially if we can get him inked long term past 2019. No way Harper is worth 30+ million a year. I would rather spend that money on pitching

jrulz83

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:17:39 am »

Looks like a nice trade. Dealt from depth and got a bat that kills NL Central pitching. Weaver had fallen completely out of favor, Kelly was blocked, and the other guy (Young?) was somebody the Cardinals aren’t likely to miss. I’m not sure about locking Goldy up though. 31 years old is a bit old to go over 4 years for my tastes. He seems like a good guy and extremely solid player though.

I expect another trade. Gyorko seems like a target for trade and I still doubt Fowler as the answer in RF. If Jose Martinez could catch the ball.....

I just don’t see the Cardinals making another “splash” move this offseason. They might try to lock Ozuna up early next season if they’re confident in his health. Harper just isn’t a signing they typically make. Harper reeks of regrettable contract, but the first 5 years would probably be awesome. Maybe they surprise me.

Bullpen still a major concern, but there are good options there. A full season of Hicks, Hudson, and maybe Helsley out there should help keep it steady. I would like a lefty other than Cecil. Depending on that guy is a fool’s errand.

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 09:15:24 am »

It puts the Cardinals in a position to actually compete for the division this year though. And you have to assume they feel pretty good about re-signing him or they wouldn’t have done it.

This lineup is gonna be sick. A bat and a GG fielder at 1B will transform this team in a way that no other individual move could have.

Right now it's the best line-up in the NL. I go:

Bader
Wong
Carpenter
Goldy
Ozuna
Molina
O'Neill
Dejong

Gyorko is traded for a LH pen arm
...and Fowler spells O'Neill in RF.

...Martinez may also be traded now.

popcornhog

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:16:09 am »

Looks like a nice trade. Dealt from depth and got a bat that kills NL Central pitching. Weaver had fallen completely out of favor, Kelly was blocked, and the other guy (Young?) was somebody the Cardinals aren’t likely to miss. I’m not sure about locking Goldy up though. 31 years old is a bit old to go over 4 years for my tastes. He seems like a good guy and extremely solid player though.

I expect another trade. Gyorko seems like a target for trade and I still doubt Fowler as the answer in RF. If Jose Martinez could catch the ball.....

I just don’t see the Cardinals making another “splash” move this offseason. They might try to lock Ozuna up early next season if they’re confident in his health. Harper just isn’t a signing they typically make. Harper reeks of regrettable contract, but the first 5 years would probably be awesome. Maybe they surprise me.

Bullpen still a major concern, but there are good options there. A full season of Hicks, Hudson, and maybe Helsley out there should help keep it steady. I would like a lefty other than Cecil. Depending on that guy is a fool’s errand.

The infield just got way better, too, defensively.

If I was gonna put somebody on the block, it might be Wong (if anyone wants that contract). I wouldn’t mind dealing Fowler either, but nobody will want his contract. Who knows, maybe he gets things together.

I think we have a great lineup now though. The only question mark being the fact that there are only 2 lefties in the projected starting order.

jrulz83

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 10:12:43 am »

The infield just got way better, too, defensively.

If I was gonna put somebody on the block, it might be Wong (if anyone wants that contract). I wouldn’t mind dealing Fowler either, but nobody will want his contract. Who knows, maybe he gets things together.

I think we have a great lineup now though. The only question mark being the fact that there are only 2 lefties in the projected starting order.

I’m keeping Wong, he’s relatively cheap and gives you gold glove caliber defense. That’s a value add that, to me, one of the worst defenses in MLB doesn’t need to lose. I think the Cardinals are sold on Wong’s defense, I know I am. It’s like Molina in 2006, anything offensive you get from him is like finding a $20 bill on the the ground. It’s nice, but not something you need to depend on to be able to eat.

Gyorko is a good player, but what’s his fit now? He won’t be at 3b, Jose Martinez and Tyler O’neill are your RH thump on the bench, and Yairo Munoz is a cheap RH utility option with offensive upside. Maybe they can afford to keep Gyorko, I don’t know. But I think they need to flip him for a LH utility bat or a LH reliever. If they can that is.

Goldschmidt really does seem like a good deal. The lineup got deeper, the defense probably got better (Carpenter at 3b concerns me), and redundant/blocked pieces got moved out. However, I hope they’re not done.

Here’s my way too early opening day lineup prediction:

1. Carpenter 3B
2. Fowler RF
3. Goldschmidt 1B
4. Ozuna LF
5. Dejong SS
6. Molina C
7. Bader CF
8. Wong 2B
9. Mikolas P

I hope Fowler rebounds. They need his switch hitting and good OBP to be in the lineup. I think he will, he has a good track record. Just a rough year last year, I hope anyway.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 04:56:25 pm »

Carp
Bader
Ozuna
Goldy
Dejong
Molina
Wong
Hopefully not Fowler but will be Fowler
Pitcher

jrulz83

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 09:10:33 pm »

Here’s my way too early opening day lineup prediction:

1. Carpenter 3B
2. Fowler RF
3. Goldschmidt 1B
4. Ozuna LF
5. Dejong SS
6. Molina C
7. Bader CF
8. Wong 2B
9. Mikolas P

Somebody agrees with me... almost:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/goold-s-projected-lineup-for-cardinals/article_2190a471-822c-5bb6-9b1e-0d44e082652d.html

I see some of y’all have Bader in the upper part of the lineup. I’m just not there with him. Too many strikeouts. Like his speed though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas