• 10,019,661 Posts
• 401,585 Topics
• 22,978 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dan Enos?  (Read 2765 times)

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Dan Enos?
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:43:27 pm »

I saw where some of the Tennessee folks wanted Dan Enos as their OC (link), but with Mike Locksley leaving his OC job at Alabama for HC duties at Maryland, I am wondering if Enos will get a shot to step up into the role there from QB coach? (..or will Saban go after another OC?)

Still kinda wish Morris would have kept him as a Hog, but I hope he does well wherever he ends up. He always seemed like a hard working coach and genuinely good person when he was with us.

BossHawg_Outlaw

Re: Dan Enos?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 02:45:57 pm »

Morris's system is just like Petrino's system he wants all his coaches to be on the same page and run his offense not someone else's.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RollHogTide

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 02:51:52 pm »

I am wondering if Enos will get a shot to step up into the role there from QB coach? (..or will Saban go after another OC?)

I believe that most Tide fans are hoping that he is provided an opportunity for the OC position.  I believe that he has done a fantastic job this year with the QBs and although Coach Locksley gets most of the credit for Bama's offensive success this year; I believe that Coach Enos would do much better.

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:55:08 pm »

I believe that most Tide fans are hoping that he is provided an opportunity for the OC position.  I believe that he has done a fantastic job this year with the QBs and although Coach Locksley gets most of the credit for Bama's offensive success this year; I believe that Coach Enos would do much better.
I agree. He was a good OC here, with average personnel. With Bama's personnel, his offense would be really good.

lstewart

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »

I was just thinking about Enos, but a couple of years down the road. Assuming he continues to perform well at Bama, and assuming things don't improve enough over the next two years for Morris, could Enos be a possible option for the Hogs as head coach? Bama coaches move into coordinator slots for a year or two, and then get head coaching jobs. Not sure if he would consider coming back here, as he may have too much first hand experience in how tough it is to succeed with the Hogs. But if we are looking for a coach on a couple of years, he might be someone that gets some attention.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 03:15:15 pm »

I was just thinking about Enos, but a couple of years down the road. Assuming he continues to perform well at Bama, and assuming things don't improve enough over the next two years for Morris, could Enos be a possible option for the Hogs as head coach? Bama coaches move into coordinator slots for a year or two, and then get head coaching jobs. Not sure if he would consider coming back here, as he may have too much first hand experience in how tough it is to succeed with the Hogs. But if we are looking for a coach on a couple of years, he might be someone that gets some attention.

Or (preferably) if Morris does exceedingly well and gets hired away.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 03:20:01 pm »

Of course any assistant coach is going to look good at Alabama, they have the best talent in the Nation.  But how good will Enos be as a head coach on his own?  He's been one before with not very good results, perhaps he's learned from that.

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 03:23:47 pm »

I spoke with a die hard Bama fan just the other day and he said this exact thing. He really hoped Enos is made the OC.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 03:36:09 pm »

Enos is a damn fine OC.  With Bama talent...he could be a great one.  They could do a lot worse than promoting him.

lstewart

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 03:37:32 pm »

I think the reason Enos came here was because his head coaching career was not going great, and he maybe thought he would have a chance to reset, do well in the SEC as a coordinator, and have other head coaching opportunities. It did not work out here, although he did a good job. He landed in an ideal situation at Bama. I think he is a very good offensive coach, but don't know how good he is at recruiting. To have success somewhere like here as the head coach, you would need to be a strong recruiter.

Swinesong1

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 03:45:55 pm »

Much better?  You might wanna take a gander at the Tide's offensive numbers this season.  If Enos can do "much better" than that, then he is a freaking genius!

kaiserhog

• Kaiser Willie I, A True Hog Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 03:51:07 pm »

No Head Coach at Arkansas has left willingly since Jack Mitchell.  Quit selling us short.

ur

• The First Back to Back 7A Football State Champions
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 03:56:25 pm »

Freeze is a hot item right now possibly at bama, tenn, aub and FSU as oc or HC at liberty. If he can get approval from the sec commish. But it sounds like that may have been lifted.  Enos could end up at bama or at tenner.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:07:02 pm by ur »

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »

I saw where some of the Tennessee folks wanted Dan Enos as their OC (link), but with Mike Locksley leaving his OC job at Alabama for HC duties at Maryland, I am wondering if Enos will get a shot to step up into the role there from QB coach? (..or will Saban go after another OC?)

Still kinda wish Morris would have kept him as a Hog, but I hope he does well wherever he ends up. He always seemed like a hard working coach and genuinely good person when he was with us.
Looked to me like Enos was calling most the plays in but I could be wrong.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »

Yesterday after winning the Broyles Award Locksley himself said it best. He said he is calling the same plays he called unsuccessfully as a head coach. Difference now is the quality of athletes he has to work with. Whoever takes over that job is going to look great.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 04:22:59 pm »

No Head Coach at Arkansas has left willingly since Jack Mitchell.  Quit selling us short.

Although some would say there was some pressure to leave coaching here there are three that could have stayed longer, Frank, Hatfield and Nutt. That being said I doubt Nutt would have lasted past one more year and maybe all three. That being said all three could have at least coached one more year. So they left willingly earlier than they would have been fired except Frank.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:43:31 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Swinelake

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 04:54:18 pm »

Much better?  You might wanna take a gander at the Tide's offensive numbers this season.  If Enos can do "much better" than that, then he is a freaking genius!

Much better from a qualitative standpoint rather than quantitative. As you approach the top, improvement becomes exponentially more difficult.

sevenof400

• In Memorium: B"Fett's libido - lost 1967
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 06:36:59 pm »

Of course any assistant coach is going to look good at Alabama, they have the best talent in the Nation.  But how good will Enos be as a head coach on his own?  He's been one before with not very good results, perhaps he's learned from that.

This point suggests the question - how many Saban assistant coaches (whether they were coordinators or not) have went on to reasonable (or better) success?

Obviously, Kirby Smart is doing well as has Mark Dantonio and Jimbo Fisher. 
But past that...... 

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 10:56:13 pm »

Enos left CMU because that program was a dead end professionally for him. I think he will be the next OC at AL.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 01:25:04 am »

Enos did an exceptional job here.  In the aftermath of Bielema’s firing there were some people here saying otherwise... which blew my mind. 

UnknownNobody

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 02:07:06 am »

Enos did an exceptional job here.  In the aftermath of Bielema’s firing there were some people here saying otherwise... which blew my mind.

And for the first time ever I agree with you. Bielema put Enos in a untenable situation, he brought him in and made him work with Pittman who was butt-hurt over Cheney leaving and who had very different ideas on the size and type of OL. Enos wanted quicker smaller OL and Pittman was the architect of the "Biggest OL in College Football. I have never understood bringing in a new OC and making him work with the previous OC's people. The new OC should be allowed to hire "his" guys to run his system.

This is why I am excited about the future of Arkansas football,  Morris brought "his" guys (keeping Lunney was genius) and Chavis was allowed to hire "his" guys so everyone is on the same page.

If Morris doesn't work out (and we all need to pray he does) then I would be happy bringing in Enos to see what he can do but you will of course get the naysayers "Meh, his HC record is 26-36! We can't hire another coach with a losing record!!!" "He doesn't recruit!!!" " Not that guy our Offense sucked in 2017!!!"

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 05:29:01 am »

Looked to me like Enos was calling most the plays in but I could be wrong.

If he’s not calling them, he’s writing them.  I had a chance to read the book.  The “movie version” Alabama is running is closer to the book than anything we saw here.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 08:39:59 am »

If he’s not calling them, he’s writing them.  I had a chance to read the book.  The “movie version” Alabama is running is closer to the book than anything we saw here.

I wish we would have hired him as head man but i don't know if he even wants to be a head man any more considering he was one and gave it up.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 08:55:46 am »

He will be a better coach after coaching at Alabama a couple years.  If he can land the OC position his popularity will grow and it will be easier for him to recruit as a head coach. 

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 09:46:20 am »

This point suggests the question - how many Saban assistant coaches (whether they were coordinators or not) have went on to reasonable (or better) success?

Obviously, Kirby Smart is doing well as has Mark Dantonio and Jimbo Fisher. 
But past that...... 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/10/03/nick-saban-coaching-tree/1434787002/

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 01:07:30 pm »

Rumor has it that Enos is the next OC at Bma...  8)

CogitatinHawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 08:42:18 pm »

Like that notion of a "movie version," and yeah, it's not a little indie-budgeted movie, either.

Heard an interview with Jalen Hurt, and I think maybe another with Tua discussing how much Enos has helped them develop in his capacity as QB coach.  If I was DE, I'd be in heaven with that cast of characters, no matter how persnickety NS might be as a supervisor.  If you watched Training Days:  Rolling With the Tide, it was clear that Nick's efficiency model was aimed every bit as much at coaches as players.  That's also the learning curve between being a bang-up play caller and managing a large staff and team.  If DE does become a HC, he will have some solid lessons in management at Bama and should be prepared, assuming he's taking notes.

Last year you could almost feel the tension through the teevee between DE and BB. 

In 2015 I took a leadership class that made me want to find "subjects in the field" where I could apply why I learned, so I dual-dutied (dutied, not "doody'd," not even once) my OCD football viewing as research on leadership.  The sideline dynamics were very interesting for all teams, not just the RB, but the RB became more interesting as the season progressed. 

That "interesting" relationship equaled "not exactly comforting" as a RB fan, as you could see the DE/BB rapport was on life support for a while, perhaps by mid-October?  You could tell that one person had bright light bulbs over his head and yet a different person with a less luminescent light bulb, (perhaps stuck on a dimmer switch?  polarity switched?  lack of grounding?), seemed to be running the show. 

Aside:  The camera operators and the producers in the truck get so much better at getting those interesting sideline shots later in the season, so if you're of a mind to observe these sorts of things, later season games have more "sideline voyeur payoff."  Or you can watch the "Control Center" feeds on the ESPN app replays to choose your view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas