• 10,015,674 Posts
• 401,465 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missouri a legit Razorback rivalry now?  (Read 5634 times)

mj4president

Re: Missouri a legit Razorback rivalry now?
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2018, 12:10:14 pm »

Is Barry Odom turning Missouri into a legit rivalry for us?

Stole Kelly Bryant from us and now Arkansas' WR Jonathan Nance transferring to Missouri.

https://kmox.radio.com/articles/dual-threat-transfer-qb-kelly-bryant-chooses-mizzou

I bet Barry bolts for greener pastures soon.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2018, 12:34:20 pm »

Missouri is 5-2 against Tenn.  Missouri is 4-1 since joining the SEC against Ark and 7-3 all time.
All time record against the SEC is 51-47-1.  In fact, it's better against the all mighty West (26-20) than it is the East (25-27-1).
So, what's your argument again?

Mizzou's record over 7 seasons vs the SECW:

Bama 0-3 - played twice in regular season
AU 0-2 - played once in regular season
LSU 0-1
MSU 0-1
OM 1-0
A&M 2-1
Ark 4-1

7-9 thanks to the Hogs.  Last time Mizzou beat an SECW team other than the Hogs was 2014 Texas A&M. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2018, 12:36:52 pm »

LSU 0-1
MSU 0-1
OM 1-0
A&M 2-1
Ark 4-1

7-9 thanks to the Hogs.  Last time Mizzou beat an SECW team other than the Hogs was 2014 Texas A&M.

We've been making everyone look better for the last 7 years You're Welcome Smile, Uncommon, & Hammer Down

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2018, 01:24:46 pm »

Such as?

He can have Mizzou finishing third at worst most years in the East. Georgia is probably here to stay, and Florida looks to be tough under Mullen.

He averages 7.5 wins or so per year, he's set.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2018, 01:35:15 pm »

From what I see in the Past Present and Future is Missouri and Arkansas in football are about the same and probably always will be..

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2018, 01:36:32 pm »

It would take something really special. Mizzou is his Alma Mater.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2018, 01:43:30 pm »

Why in the wild world of sports do you think that?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2018, 01:48:06 pm »

From what I see in the Past Present and Future is Missouri and Arkansas in football are about the same and probably always will be..

Well, past as in last 15 years.  You were mostly horrible for 3 decades.  It's harder for us non-millenials to accept the about the same idea.  Just as it is hard to accept people putting Mizzou on the level of Tennessee, which is only behind Alabama historically among SEC programs, even though for now it's true. 
Pinkel put your program in a position to be consistently competitive and take advantage of opportunities because of the consistency.  You survived the BLM nonsense and transition from Pinkel whereas our last 12+ years has been a soap opera. 

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2018, 02:35:15 pm »

Well, past as in last 15 years.  You were mostly horrible for 3 decades.  It's harder for us non-millenials to accept the about the same idea.  Just as it is hard to accept people putting Mizzou on the level of Tennessee, which is only behind Alabama historically among SEC programs, even though for now it's true. 
Pinkel put your program in a position to be consistently competitive and take advantage of opportunities because of the consistency.  You survived the BLM nonsense and transition from Pinkel whereas our last 12+ years has been a soap opera.

Missouri  has been better over recent history.. correct ? Missouri has not been horrible over the last three decades  any more so than the hogs have been.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »

Missouri  has been better over recent history.. correct ? Missouri has not been horrible over the last three decades  any more so than the hogs have been.

The 3 decades were the 70s, 80s and 90s. 

Very recent, yes.  Better right now too. 

mizzouman

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2018, 02:46:40 pm »

LSU 0-1
MSU 0-1
OM 1-0
A&M 2-1
Ark 4-1

LSU 0-1
MSU 0-1
OM 1-0
A&M 2-1
Ark 4-1

Can't argue with this.

MTBrookHog

• Senior
  • Earl Campbell saying this is gonna hurt.
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2018, 02:54:56 pm »

Three NFL running backs in one backfield. What back shined in the Cotton Bowl? TON-Y TEM-PLE (clap clap pause clap clap clap)

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2018, 02:59:25 pm »

Three NFL running backs in one backfield. What back shined in the Cotton Bowl? TON-Y TEM-PLE (clap clap pause clap clap clap)

Herring played a 2 man defensive front often to not get shredded by Chase and the Mizzou passing game.  Mizzou oline had two players to block till they got downfield.  It was like running unopposed. 

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2018, 03:00:31 pm »

Herring played a 2 man defensive front often to not get shredded by Chase and the Mizzou passing game.  Mizzou oline had two players to block till they got downfield.  It was like running unopposed. 
Pick your poison. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2018, 03:14:09 pm »

The 2008 CB is a great example of a bowl vs regular season.  Mizzou was one of the best offenses in college football that season and would have won had both teams been focused and properly prepared.  But we weren't.  Mizzou didn't play the team that had beaten LSU to end the season.  We actually had no business playing Mizzou in the Cotton Bowl that year.  Tied for 3rd in the West and had the 6th best record in the SEC.  Mizzou 2nd best team in Big 12 and should have been in the Orange Bowl.  We ended up in Dallas with an interim coach as a result of 2 SEC teams in the BCS and geography. 

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:07 pm »

LAHogfan123

« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2018, 03:30:28 pm »

Can it be a rivalry if it's one-sided?  Mizzou hates Kansas.  Arkansas hates everyone. 

Arkansas has never had a true rival.  ASU might be the only legit rivalry as both schools hate each other (but ya gotta actually play to be a rival!).

Arkansas hates ASU?  Maybe Broyles did, I never did ask him.  But I imagine he hated all Arkansas schools about the same as far as the thought of playing any of them.  Do most Arkansas fans hate other Arkansas schools such as ASU or UCA?  I think quite the contrary, I think most of us pull for all the other Arkansas schools to beat every other team on their schedule that's another State school.  The only time I give ASU fans grief is when they get all bent out of shape about their hatred toward the Hogs, and then I just like messing with them, as most other fans do.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2018, 03:34:49 pm »

Looked it up, Last 5 years in the Big12 Missouri  won 10 or more games 3 times, and finished ranked #4,#18 and #19 in the country.  Not exactly a doormat....just sayin..   They have been a little better than you seem to give them credit for... This year they finished Ranked #23

You seem to pick just a brief history of Missouri to make your case.  I tend to agree they were the doormat of the big 12, you picked just a few years.  How about overall?  Oh, I guess they shared that with Kansas though.

bornoncampusMIZ

• Walk-On
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2018, 04:23:50 pm »

You seem to pick just a brief history of Missouri to make your case.  I tend to agree they were the doormat of the big 12, you picked just a few years.  How about overall?  Oh, I guess they shared that with Kansas though.

Missouri went 63-66 in the Big12.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2018, 05:52:22 pm »

Arkansas hates ASU?  Maybe Broyles did, I never did ask him.  But I imagine he hated all Arkansas schools about the same as far as the thought of playing any of them.  Do most Arkansas fans hate other Arkansas schools such as ASU or UCA?  I think quite the contrary, I think most of us pull for all the other Arkansas schools to beat every other team on their schedule that's another State school.  The only time I give ASU fans grief is when they get all bent out of shape about their hatred toward the Hogs, and then I just like messing with them, as most other fans do.
You can like more than one team? That's absurd!
/s

Justintime75

• Varsity
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2018, 06:13:48 pm »

I think itís fair to focus on recent history. Why? Because everyone that Arkansas and Missouri are recruiting out of high school have been born in this millennium. Every future recruit will have only been alive after 2000. Many of us may remember back to the 70ís or 80ís or the 90ís, but these kids werenít even alive yet. Most of their parents were still rocking out to Backstreet Boys and Hootie and the Blowfish, not even thinking about children yet.

So, what is relevant to them is what has happened during their lifetime. I know that a lot of us who have a few years on us donít view 10 years as very long ago. Almost goes by in the blink of an eye. However, ten years ago seems like a lifetime when youíre 17 because, well, it almost is. These kids havenít grown up with Tennessee or Texas being the juggernaut that Bama now is. Hell, I can remember when Bama wasnít very good for quite awhile, but all these kids know is that Bama is basically the NFLís D-league.

TheGrove68

« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:19 am »

The 3 decades were the 70s, 80s and 90s. 

Very recent, yes.  Better right now too.

We sucked in the 80 & 90 but we where above .500 in the 70ís and upset Notre Dame in 1972, Bama in 75 and both USC and Ohio st in 76 so the 70ís wasnít that bad at all. A bit uneven but not like the 80ís or 90ís.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2018, 08:34:30 am »

Of course Arkansas hates ASU...Hogs view them and their fans as upstart pissants not worthy of being in the same conversation as the almighty Razorbacks.  (Many just assume ASU is Arizona State).

UCA?  I think most view them kind of like their hometown high school--or, not at all!

At least, that's what I glean from the authoritative posts here on Hogville!

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2018, 09:13:53 am »

You can't really "make" a rivalry.  However, there's little doubt that the series is heating up.  Arkansas' got to hold up its end of the bargain, though.  So far, it's really been all Missouri shoving a stick in Arkansas' spokes.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2018, 09:16:21 am »

I think that's the general attitude.  ASU fans used to be a lot more militant about this back in the 80s and 90s when ASU didn't have a stable conference schedule, access to bowls, or a reliable football revenue stream.  Now that they've got all of that, the urgency to play Arkansas isn't there as much as it used to be.  They'd love to do it, but they don't look at it like an existential problem anymore.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2018, 09:43:10 am »

You can't really "make" a rivalry.  However, there's little doubt that the series is heating up.  Arkansas' got to hold up its end of the bargain, though.  So far, it's really been all Missouri shoving a stick in Arkansas' spokes.

So, "spokes" is the word we can use here now?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas